custom loop

Which new maps for HCS season 2?

I personally really like Athelon(the one with the OS charger). The map gives me a construct feel a little bit. I like the middle of the map, but the weapon placement in comparison with the OS Charger may need to be adjusted. Overall i think it would be a good map for Season 2.

As other pros have stated, I don’t think that any of the forge maps that have a chance of getting into season 2 are worth putting in. Most of the maps that 343 has for testing include large, long tunnels which are unfit for competitive Halo. There are other maps that are better and should have a shot at actually securing a spot as THE forge map. My favorite map so far has been oracle(no surprise) with elixir as a close second with Hive right behind that.. Elixir just needs to be reimagined as it is a little too simple, but it is basically the type of map that we want to play on. It is open, it has power positions located in the middle of the map. The map uses obstacles with a small area(LxW) so that you can choose which line of sight you want to see from. This is something that only Tesla has implemented throughout the map(from the 7) and is necessary when creating for maps for competitive halo in my opinion.

Also, if we are implementing forge maps with the idea that they should be played with hill/ball, we would then need to make each best of 5 series have only one slayer in them. We are currently oversaturated with ball/hill as both lockout and warlock hill/ball play very well. We need more slayers and flags.

First of thanks for posting all of this out. It makes it very clear however that you aren't willing to play on new maps. The maps you like are Tesla, Temple, Oracle, Elixer and Hive. Which are ALL midship clones. Do you really just want to play the same map over and over again since halo 2?

Us forgers are always trying to provide the competitive community of new maps for REFRESHING gameplay, but at the end of the day the pro's do not want anything other than Midship. It's just a really sad thing.

Sometimes I really wish Midship never existed and the game to play was CE. I just started playing CE, but the maps are so much more fun and have a much larger learning curve overall which keeps the gameplay exiting.

Also Warlock Oddball and KotH are awful and could easily be replaced, there is zero variety in during those gametypes. Lockdown KotH is also very questionable imo.

I personally would like to see these 3 replaced with one slayer gametype and 2 other objectives.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

First of thanks for posting all of this out. It makes it very clear however that you aren't willing to play on new maps. The maps you like are Tesla, Temple, Oracle, Elixer and Hive. Which are ALL midship clones. Do you really just want to play the same map over and over again since halo 2?

Us forgers are always trying to provide the competitive community of new maps for REFRESHING gameplay, but at the end of the day the pro's do not want anything other than Midship. It's just a really sad thing.

Sometimes I really wish Midship never existed and the game to play was CE. I just started playing CE, but the maps are so much more fun and have a much larger learning curve overall which keeps the gameplay exiting.

Also Warlock Oddball and KotH are awful and could easily be replaced, there is zero variety in during those gametypes. Lockdown KotH is also very questionable imo.

I personally would like to see these 3 replaced with one slayer gametype and 2 other objectives.

We don't want to continue playing warlock oddball and koth and want them replaced with ;more slayers/flags and not more koth/ball. Also, Lockout KotH is goat.

It's not that we want midship maps, it's that we want maps that can be played competitively. All of the refreshing ideas forgers have just simply won't work at a top level. Complexion was the only map that I saw that was actually had lines of sight, I guess it's just too confusing to put in.

Oasis was not a midship and it worked well because of the lines of sight. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Untestable:

6-Venom. Map makes no sense structurally. Aesthetically the map looks good, however, there’d be no way for this map to work in competitive halo.

5-Athelon. Same thing as venom. Way too big with no chance, in my opinion, of being played competitively

4-Erupt. Not a bad map size but too many obstacles giving too many routes for players to take. This leads to more one on one battles and no power positions and encourages running together(and not in a good way.)

Unfortunately for the potential of competitive Halo, the pro player definition of competitive = what the pros are collectively willing to compete on. Most pro players are only willing to compete on maps that are familiar and nostalgic -- especially those reminiscent of Midship and Derelict. This is an incredibly self-serving bias that only allows for the implementation of maps with zero learning curve for players at the top level, and is exactly why most pro players should have zero influence on map selection processes. I highly respect your talent at the game and greatly enjoy watching you (and other high level players) compete, but unfortunately this habit of self-serving bias with map selection has hindered the evolution of competitive Halo play for far too long. 

Venom and Athelon, both completely new designs to the Halo series, make perfect sense structurally. The two maps just have inherently higher learning curves than some of the other nostalgic candidates, and will take time to learn. Both maps have massive movement learning curves, and most pros are simply overwhelmed by new designs that require the development of new strategies, player movement, map positioning, and call-outs. I find your assessment of Erupt surprising as well, as that map is highly reminiscent of The Pit and includes a redesigned mid that is more typical of Middy type maps.

I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on both BE and Halo Waypoint, however. I hope more players provide feedback in the coming days.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Venom and Athelon, both completely new designs to the Halo series, make perfect sense structurally. The two maps just have inherently higher learning curves than some of the other nostalgic candidates, and will take time to learn.

I agree with your point in general, but dang, I have never witnessed such a salesman B)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nothing could be worse than Lockout.

It's ugly stepsister is pretty bad

Halo-Reach-The-Cage1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's ugly stepsister is pretty bad

It was ugly 'cause of 6 years old jetpack-kid-spammers D= D=