Jawshe

Halo 2 vs Halo 3 - The Ultimate Debate Thread

It begins. '07 kids unite against your '04 brethren. 

I had really hoped the term "Halo 3/Halo 2 kids" wouldn't rear its ugly head. Only took 2 replies.

Halo CE kids, Halo 2 kids, Halo 3 kids, Halo Reach kids, Halo 4 kids, BR kids, DMR kids, MLG kids, COD kids, Console kids, PC Adults, Waypoint kids, casual kids, KIDS FUCKING EVERY WHERE!!!

Starving African Kids? :(

• Upvote (+1) 2

I liked Halo 2 more but Halo 3 matchmaking was so much better because people couldn't get out of the maps an you could actually play serious games without getting cheated.  Except for a ddoser every now an then.

This is going to require a lengthy write up.

Halo 2 was more competitive. The main weapon in Halo 2 & 3 was inconsistent in Halo 3. They actually modified the BR to make it easier to 4 shot someone. In Halo 3 we seen the most inconsistent team placings ever. We seen Str8 Rippon go from vying for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, to not even making top 8. Same with the Final Boss roster.

As for the melee it was horrendous. So many trades. That is what cqc came down to 2 shots and melee. Bungie should have never messed with the melee in the first place it should have stayed whoever melee's first within the kill should win the encounter. And then theres the not even being someone's field of view but still connecting with the melee.

As for the which BR was harder to use. Most would say the Halo 3 BR took the most skill because you had to lead your shots. You did not have to lead your shots a majority of the time though. There were only certain places where shot leadings was necessary. So lets not blow that out of proportion or neglect the fact that if your out of red reticle range in Halo 2 (Back BR tower to Snipe in lockout) you had to be pin point accurate with zero aim assist and the way the BR shot in Halo 2 it was like having a single shot weapon. The thing about the BR being easier in Halo 2 is that is was easier for everyone and the movement speed was faster in Halo 2 so screwing up was more detrimental.

The sword. It went from being a "POWER WEAPON" in Halo 2 to not even being used in Halo 3. Don't get me wrong I think having an infinite sword was bad buuttt to remove its lunge to the point that its taken off certain maps just shows how bad it was in Halo 3.

Shotgun and Mauler. The Mauler in Halo 3 was suppose to replicate the Halo 2 shotgun in strength. The Halo 3 shotgun was too "strong" even though Halo CE shotgun hands down was the strongest shotgun. I remember in Halo Reach people were confused about there being a shotgun in competitive settings because Halo 3 had replaced its stronger shotgun with the mauler.

I won't argue that the Halo 2 sniper was easier to use but just like the BR everyone had the same advantage. Everyone used the gun. The skill to use it might be less compared to its Halo 3 equivalent but that also means that its that much harder to take it back.

As for the network side of things I don't think that it in itself made either game more competitive. I mean obviously it made gaming online enjoyable but as for as LAN play it really only was a probably once (That we know of) and that happened in Halo 3. Lets not forget that internet connections from 04 to 07 were different vastly different in some areas of the country. But I still don't think the networking makes a game competitive.

As for as host advantage that is why its a best out of seven series and everyone switches host. As for who gets host more often its whoever was seeded higher which seems perfectly fine to me.

As a side note Halo 3 was my least favorite game. While writing this up I actually realized that in each sequential Halo each weapon actually got weaker with the exception of a few.Halo 1-3 each weapons counter part was weaker. While I knew the Halo pistol was the most powerful utility weapon of the bunch I did not realize how much Bungie weakened the shotgun or put unnecessary limitations on the sniper to slow its rate of fire. Or reduced the rocket launchers splash damage. I guess the realization that I just came to was not only the utility weapon alter to be weaker in each Halo but so were all the other useful weapons..

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I had really hoped the term "Halo 3/Halo 2 kids" wouldn't rear its ugly head. Only took 2 replies.

Halo CE kids, Halo 2 kids, Halo 3 kids, Halo Reach kids, Halo 4 kids, BR kids, DMR kids, MLG kids, COD kids, Console kids, PC Adults, Waypoint kids, casual kids, KIDS FUCKING EVERY WHERE!!!

I was a kid when I played all of those games. And I loved all of them.

Except Halo 4. Fuck that shit.

I feel like Halo 3 has some of the best movement out of all the halo games. You can ghost jump into crazy small micro cracks, your spartan can interact with every detail of the map if you have the skill to pull it off. I think that's what I miss most. I guess it's the "rag-doll" mechanics. 

I was 6 years old when I played Doom II, 9 when I played Goldeneye, 11 for Perfect Dark, 13 for Halo 1, 14 for Unreal Tournament 2003, and 15 for Halo 2.

Halo 2 is the worst of those games.

Jes' a little perspective for y'all...

i don't think you can compare the two games, their both different no matter how much they look alike Halo 2 plays way faster and requires a way different play style than Halo 3

Both games have their positives and negatives, often within the same "section" (going off what you set out in the OP). Personally I find it harder to pick a clear preference for H2 or 3 - it can depend heavily on my mood and which downsides happen to be most grating to me at the time.

Both games have things I like, both have a hell of a lot more I dislike. Both can be fun and competitive but I can't say that either is particularly better than the other because the areas at which they each excel are so different and their shortcomings are more than capable of driving me to frustration with either game.

Competitive Halo 3 pros: better sniper, less aim assist, less melee lunge, no BXB/BXR

Competitive Halo 3 cons: worse maps, a broken BR, bad controls, no double-shot, melee trading 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not even going to go into competitive merit here, all I'm going to say is that I found Halo 3 more fun to play. Something about leading shots, the bouncy grenades, the floaty physics just made it feel right. But then again shooting from top A to top B on onslaught took a whole clip or more to kill someone most of the time so I don't know. It's just personal preference.