Sign in to follow this  
KMART

Still believe the original Halo formula could outsell Halo 5

Halo 3 was kind of like a refined Halo 2...and those were both far and away the most popular & successful Halo games, so what would 343 lose by giving us a refined Halo 3? Armor/Spartan abilities and other game breaking gimmicks have already proven to be a failure, as millions have quit the Halo franchise since they've been introduced to the series, so why continue with them?

Look at EA with Madden football...a refined version each year with better physics, graphics and is still very popular. Imagine if they added sprint, thruster pack, or some other bullshit gimmick. Nobody would want to play it because it wouldn't be football anymore. Just like what we have now isn't Halo anymore.

And I too believe that a Halo 3.5 kind of game would not only outsell a gimmicky version of Halo, but would have much longer lifespan.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I believe that the original Halo formula (both CE and 2/3 as they're similar but different) are a cash grab that I'm surprised no one else has ventured to make. I know smaller studios have, but I'm shocked that no major developers have gone out and tried to make a game similar to Halo. How has Sony not tried to emulate this product already? Neither Resistance nor Killzone were anything close to it, and are more similar to the military shooter than anything.

Halo is so much more than just humans and covenant. The movement and how fluid it is, the simplicity of it as a whole, the jumping, shooting, etc is just something that you don't see in other major shooters.

I think if a studio did emulate it, or by some stretch of the imagination, 343 did go back to its roots, it would sell like hot cakes. People don't want every game to be similar. That's why we have this thing called "genres".

The problem is, they've been trying to appeal to us in terrible ways. They rarely listen and a major flaw with them is they're terribly slow. They gave us NBNS which was pretty damn successful. Then they went ahead and made H4 and I'm not sure what they even did to try and appeal to our community, but I know it wasn't worth it with the game being broken at the core. Then they give us this mess in MCC that is barely playable and now they're giving us a toggle option for sprint in H5. We all know the population is going to suck because the game were playing is going to be vastly different then the Team Slayer playlist. And giant maps and 4v4 do not mesh well together and no sprint. Then they're going to come back and say "see, no one wants Classic Halo anymore" but they'll have done everything incorrectly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If anything, they are doing the exact opposite of innovating. They are continuing to make the game like Call of Duty / whatever else. There's nothing about Halo that makes you actually want to keep playing anymore. The only reason people buy it is because of the master chief / campaign. Halo 4 proved that with its high initial sales and embarrassingly low populations. Halo 5 will be no different.

Reverting to the original formula would be considered real innovation in my opinion. It's obvious no other shooter was like Halo, and that's part of what made the game so great to play and what kept the population numbers high (ex. Halo 3). And shooters today are also nothing like [classic] Halo (well maybe some, feel free to enlighten me).

There is so much that could be expanded upon not pertaining to gameplay "features," including but not limited to:

- Theater (improving functionality at the least)

- Forge (turning it into an actual map editor, where maps can actually look awesome and unique)

- Ranking System (obviously has needed perfecting)

- File Sharing (What bungie could do, and 343 had no idea about)

- Providing in-game guides/tips/training modes for Halo (allow people to learn how to play well without requiring as much ambition)

- Leaderboards (assuming they can work in conjunction with a ranking system; a great way to keep track of stats)

- Perfecting the netcode/functionality of the game

- Providing the custom game options like Halo 3 and Reach had, if not more

The first 4 points were major components for Halo 3's replay value. That can't be denied, especially considering Halo 3's piss poor netcode + weak BR. Classic Halo would thrive perfectly fine. But too bad 343 completely ruined it. It would be too unimmersive to remove all the garbage that plagued this franchise. We are left to deal with super fags who can thrust, drop, sprint, and climb even though they weigh 1,000 pounds.

Halo MCC would have soothed this part of the community for eternity while the rest of halo lives on, but too bad they didn't give a shit to actually make the game functional WHATSOEVER; the most cruel, sick joke in gaming history. 343 should be ashamed.

Anyways, I felt like ranting again.

As rants go, this was a 10/10.  I wish I could print this out on a giant post-it note and stick it to Bonnie Ross' forehead.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just give us a game that is halo, not "Call of Halo, not a Crysis remake, not titanfall 2.0....stay in your lane and stop worrying about selling a lot of units and Halo would of been fixed by now.

Sad part is do any of us honestly believe that if/when 343 fails at Halo 5 will another company be willing to jump in and give it a try or will the game fall out of existence like Socom did? (If any of you even know what Socom is but that's my point)

This is the part where you go wrong. Yes, in our eyes 343 will fail with game how it stands now. But in the eyes of the casual en the press the game is awesome. It looks good and play nice. They dont give a damn if it is halo.

The game will sell good. And with that 343 will stay. They probally are even under contract for the 3 games :). I will even buy it because the campaign is probally awesome.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please don't mention SOCOM's death. Makes me sad to think that all those SOCOM 2, 3, and FTB2 days are gone.

It's also sad that Halo is heading this way, but at least this series isn't dying as quick as SOCOM did. SOCOM 1,2,3,CA, FTB1, and 2 were fine until that abomination of Confrontation was released.

This is the part where you go wrong. Yes, in our eyes 343 will fail with game how it stands now. But in the eyes of the casual en the press the game is awesome. It looks good and play nice. They dont give a damn if it is halo.

The game will sell good. And with that 343 will stay. They probally are even under contract for the 3 games :). I will even buy it because the campaign is probally awesome.

Please tell me you're going to wait until private parties are selling at less 40 or less. I love Halo's lore, and I have all the novels, comics, encyclopedia, but I'm not going to directly support 343i.

Please tell me you're going to wait until private parties are selling at less 40 or less. I love Halo's lore, and I have all the novels, comics, encyclopedia, but I'm not going to directly support 343i.

An going to try... but am very impulsive with these kind of things. And they probally going to have some pre order stuff i am not able to resist :p

• Downvote (-1) 1

They need to refine the Halo experience, bring back the unique subtleties that differentiated the Halo experience, not make the next rehash of Call of Duty.   I'm playing CS:GO now whilst this franchise is in shambles and I won't be coming back to any new products by 343i until things have changed.  It's just so sad to be a part of this MCC debacle.  They are killing the franchise that made our childhoods.

Great rant +1

What baffles me is that they would sell just as many copies (if not more) if the game didnt have Sprint and all the other bull crap in it. 

343 is the worst. 

#Just343Things

• Upvote (+1) 4

The companies that stand out are the ones that are the biggest Esports...the ones with franchise titles that haven't changed their core gameplay in over 10yrs. Copying CoD does nothing long term because you will never get those numbers unless you're CoD.

I hate how this word "innovating" has been thrown around in every 343 interview, as if that is their excuse for making Halo into a debacle of a game.

^^^ The sad part is I clicked on that source and that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of doing. You made a good halo game so instead of keeping it you make into what YOU see halo as being even if it doesn't make sense?

Seriously one of us Halo players needs to go into game design and get into 343 just so we can eventually call the shots because this is a sad company with a sad dream

^^^ The sad part is I clicked on that source and that might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of doing. You made a good halo game so instead of keeping it you make into what YOU see halo as being even if it doesn't make sense?

Seriously one of us Halo players needs to go into game design and get into 343 just so we can eventually call the shots because this is a sad company with a sad dream

343's days as a functioning studio are numbered... I dont forsee Halo being in their hands after H5.

If anything, they are doing the exact opposite of innovating. They are continuing to make the game like Call of Duty / whatever else. There's nothing about Halo that makes you actually want to keep playing anymore. The only reason people buy it is because of the master chief / campaign. Halo 4 proved that with its high initial sales and embarrassingly low populations. Halo 5 will be no different.

Reverting to the original formula would be considered real innovation in my opinion. It's obvious no other shooter was like Halo, and that's part of what made the game so great to play and what kept the population numbers high (ex. Halo 3). And shooters today are also nothing like [classic] Halo (well maybe some, feel free to enlighten me).

There is so much that could be expanded upon not pertaining to gameplay "features," including but not limited to:

- Forge (turning it into an actual map editor, where maps can actually look awesome and unique)

- Providing in-game guides/tips/training modes for Halo (allow people to learn how to play well without requiring as much ambition)

- Leaderboards (assuming they can work in conjunction with a ranking system; a great way to keep track of stats)

The first 4 points were major components for Halo 3's replay value. That can't be denied, especially considering Halo 3's piss poor netcode + weak BR. Classic Halo would thrive perfectly fine. But too bad 343 completely ruined it. It would be too unimmersive to remove all the garbage that plagued this franchise. We are left to deal with super fags who can thrust, drop, sprint, and climb even though they weigh 1,000 pounds.

Halo MCC would have soothed this part of the community for eternity while the rest of halo lives on, but too bad they didn't give a shit to actually make the game functional WHATSOEVER; the most cruel, sick joke in gaming history. 343 should be ashamed.

ayPYWKV.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

An going to try... but am very impulsive with these kind of things. And they probally going to have some pre order stuff i am not able to resist :p

For the sake of halo, please don't

You can get that bonus crap used down the road

This is what I wish some people would understand. I see so many people defending the stupid shit 343 does because it's "innovation" when they could change the game without adding stuff that doesn't work in Halo. I haven't actually wanted the populations to suck in any of the recent Halo games but I hope that Halo 5 goes down the same road as halo 4, and it will with what they've done. Maybe Halo 6 will be different?!!?!?!?! :kappa:

I think it's been said already, especially where there was a huge Perfect Dark discussion in a different thread, but if all the kids are complaining and want Bots in their games, give them the bots in a "Training Simulator" Mode. If you want the lore to be any part of the game, make it so the Bot area is the Bro Spartan Training area and then Match Making can be the War Zone or actual Spartan vs Spartan shit. I don't care either way, but like you said, give a training area and I just think this is one way they could satisfy a lot of people with "innovation." I don't really call it innovation because it's been around for years with other games, so this would just be ripping off another idea, but it wouldn't be god awful Spartan Ops or anything like that.

Also they could have a learning AI (Not Skynet, because 343 isn't smart enough for that shit) that learns from real users. It would use an algorithm that runs in the background of actual Matchmaking games that analyses real user gameplay and then their AI that are in the training session can mimic other real players from around the world. Then to take that a step farther, it could also learn how each individual plays during the training sessions and form attacks/defenses against the users playstyle. This is where they could innovate on new ideas for Halo to make it more fun for everyone from Casuals to Pro players

With the different ranking systems, you could easily give a difficulty for the training session that relates to different ranks. If you want to see how you would stack up to a Pro player, the game would pull data from players who are ranked in the Pro division of the leaderboards, if you want to take it easy, you could do the Bronze/Silver difficulty. Maybe even have a complete mesh of different players all at the same time in different gametypes and just run with it. The possibilities are nrealy endless with a system like this for people to spend hours upon hours in and have fun, practice, test, or whatever, and the stats wouldn't necessarily have to be tied to the players Matchmaking Stats.

I could go all day with this, but until 343 gets their head out of their asses with "innovating Sprint", things like this won't become a reality for Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 3 was kind of like a refined Halo 2...and those were both far and away the most popular & successful Halo games, so what would 343 lose by giving us a refined Halo 3? Armor/Spartan abilities and other game breaking gimmicks have already proven to be a failure, as millions have quit the Halo franchise since they've been introduced to the series, so why continue with them?

Look at EA with Madden football...a refined version each year with better physics, graphics and is still very popular. Imagine if they added sprint, thruster pack, or some other bullshit gimmick. Nobody would want to play it because it wouldn't be football anymore. Just like what we have now isn't Halo anymore.

And I too believe that a Halo 3.5 kind of game would not only outsell a gimmicky version of Halo, but would have much longer lifespan.

According to 343 and other fans, Halo NEEDS to evolve if it wants to succeed. Clearly Valve is just a bunch of idiots for still using mechanics from 1999 in counter strike.

• Upvote (+1) 1