Sign in to follow this  
KurtiZ

Help me write the basic formula for good halo

This thinking is one I have had in my head for a while but I have always had trouble illustrating it. I need to get it out statistically but to do so I need facts.

I want to compile a list of gameplay facets that best represent the quality of gameplay. Then find the value of these facets across all titles and use title success to determine what the best values for these are. Then we can do H5s to see if its on track, and forward suggestions for each, based off research, to 343. This kind of feedback would be much more favoured as it would be objective rather than hatefully-subjective like 99% of the feedback they get. 

These facets would be somewhere along the lines of:

• Perfect kill time
  • Average kill time
  • Perfect to Average ratio
  • Base movement speed (calculated off average time to travel the length of all of the competitive maps for that title)
  • Average distance between cover
  • Effective range difference (calculated off point blank vs average max LoS distance, and how much difference there is)
  • Vertical vs Horizontal ratio (calculated off average distance ratio of all the competitive maps for that title)
  • Lines of sight total (hard to calculate but gives an idea of openness vs closeness, again calculated over all comp. maps for title)
  • Number of CQC options (momentum melees, bxb, 2-shot beatdown, standard melee etc)
  • Number of offensive options (melee, nades, shooting, bxr, double melee etc)
  • Number of defensive abilities (sprint, ducking, strongsiding, AAs, Thrust etc)

I also want to be able to use facts like this for in in the doco I'm helping with, so instead of saying "people stopped playing so much cos reach sucked" it can say "this facet changed this amount making gameplay less competitive", so just a bit more factual and to the point instead of sounding complainy.

What I need from you guys is to help me narrow the list down, and find the core 5-8 facets to focus on, and then this is pushing it, but help me test these facets to get the data for each in each game.

To begin with please just give feedback on this idea, and facets we/I should be looking at.

Thanks heaps.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Here's one, how hard is it to aim and hit shots? (Aim assist, Aim magnetism, etc)

Here's one, how hard is it to aim and hit shots? (Aim assist, Aim magnetism, etc)

Can we agree H5's aiming for the most part is what we as a community want to look for. Being H3 biased due to playing it competitively the most I did think H3's LAN BR battles were super rewarding I definitely liked H3's aiming as well minus the projectile on XBL. Plus the sniper was sick to use and probably the most fun to watch.

Can we agree H5's aiming for the most part is what we as a community want to look for. Being H3 biased due to playing it competitively the most I did think H3's LAN BR battles were super rewarding I definitely liked H3's aiming as well minus the projectile on XBL. Plus the sniper was sick to use and probably the most fun to watch.

I can't speak for everyone, but the aim-assist is never what I had a problem with; it's the bullet magnetism that I hate. H5's bullet magnetism is over the top. I got way more 4 shots in H5 than I did in H2C, H3, or H2A. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I can't speak for everyone, but the aim-assist is never what I had a problem with; it's the bullet magnetism that I hate. H5's bullet magnetism is over the top. I got way more 4 shots in H5 than I did in H2C, H3, or H2A. 

Yeah man I feel ya. I can agree with this

My top 3 in no particular order

• map flow: This ties into static weapon timers, good weapon placement, spawns, and good maps.
  • Simplicity: keep it basic, while having an extreme amount of depth. Halo 1-3 did a great job doing this, and they were all successful through their lifespan. 
  • Large shooting skill gap: removing strafe acceleration, having less aim assist and bullet magnetism would make the game A LOT more skillful, and fun to watch.

halo + combat evolved (xbox) = x

This...plus more fluid jumping.

I'd also like instant-weapon switch. I think Halo needs that.

This...plus more fluid jumping.

I'd also like instant-weapon switch. I think Halo needs that.

Think of the button combos that could arise, plus i imagine some dirty CQC with teh snipez

Single shot mid-range utility weapon. Basically ce pistol or reach's 0-bloom dmr

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is this to help express your thoughts in that video youre making?

Yes and to send to 343 as objective and useful feedback

Think of the button combos that could arise, plus i imagine some dirty CQC with teh snipez

since Halo 5 is claiming itself as an arena shooter...might as well go all the way with it and include instant weapon switch...Quake has it.

-Make shooting difficult, (that means no BR)

Excellent gameplay can make bad/mediocre maps play good to very good.