Sign in to follow this  
ZipCity117

Halo 5 Weapon Balancing

During the beta I felt like the assault rifle could have used a nerf in its damage. Everything about it except maybe the scope was pretty good, it didn't feel like a useless piece of shit anymore, but was still a little to strong. Another thing that always bothers me is how slow the rockets move, felt like forever for them to hit someone. 

During the beta I felt like the assault rifle could have used a nerf in its damage. Everything about it except maybe the scope was pretty good, it didn't feel like a useless piece of shit anymore, but was still a little to strong. Another thing that always bothers me is how slow the rockets move, felt like forever for them to hit someone. 

I don't think a damage nerf is the right move.

I'm thinking headshot bonus removal, which they are already doing and a range nerf. Same with SMG. 

I'm thinking headshot bonus removal, which they are already doing and a range nerf. Same with SMG. 

They're only removing headshots against shields - not health headshots. Also, they're increasing spread while in scope.

Just buff the utility weapons, and it'll be good. 

They're only removing headshots against shields - not health headshots. Also, they're increasing spread while in scope.

isnt that good though? 

I feel like its a good fix.

isnt that good though? 

I feel like its a good fix.

Not enough IMO. And since when did headshots count against shields? I can't believe that was even in there. 

Edit: I was wrong. 

im just talking aesthetically, take whatever skill the pistol requires and change the pistols model to a rifle. I just wanna hold a rifle, feels better :P

A 4sk pistol is fine if the range is lower and it takes more skill to use. Pick up a rifle for longer range and similar power. I like that this little pistol is so badass in Halo 1 and I know many people feel the same way.

A legendary Keyes pistol that is 3sk with lots of range would be the coolest power weapon too. Just one per map that people fight for. Please make this happen 343i...

Every time someone makes this comment

I wonder if they've ever played Halo 2

To answer your question, I have. I LAN'd Halo CE constantly and won tons of municipal tourneys at the age of 10/11, and competed again in Halo 2 tons. Used to roll with Smited and Vapoureon back in H3 as well. Had a 41 in Halo 2 and i was only 12 at the time. I'm not an idiot. I'm also not trying to brag or anything either - I'm just saying I know Halo CE/2 pretty damn well and know that having Halo CE kill times in H5 would suck because it would literally make the game MORE campy and possibly slow down the game MORE because people will be hiding and playing passively.

I'm not here to argue that quick kill times aren't a good thing, I'm arguing that the AVERAGE kill times in H5 are always near the PERFECT kill time. In CE the difference between average and optimal was large enough to justify overly quick kill times. They would need to reduce the magnetism/aim assist before they shorten the kill times.

Also, re Halo 2: That game had similar avg kill times and optimal kill times, yes, but there were hundreds of other aspects to the game that increased the skillgap. Things that aren't present in Halo 5.

Neg me all you want, I'm still going to speak my mind and if saying something from Halo CE shouldn't be in a completely different game pisses nostalgia whores off then so be it.

Negged for not reading the posts - almost everyone here has suggested lowering aim assist and bullet magnetism. 

Right but you know they will NOT reduce the magnetism. They already are running "low" (by their standards) levels of aim assist and I guarantee they will NOT be making aiming any harder. 

If they do, then sure, increase the potential kill times. But don't bank on that. From now on though, if you are still going to push quicker kill times I would say "only if they decrease magnetism", because knowing 343 they won't understand what we mean. I don't remember reading that part of your post but either you edited it in or I'm a shitty reader. My apologies if its the latter. They'll increase the kill times but won't touch magnetism and THEN we end up with Call of Duty syndrome.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To answer your question, I have. I LAN'd Halo CE constantly and won tons of municipal tourneys at the age of 10/11, and competed again in Halo 2 tons. Used to roll with Smited and Vapoureon back in H3 as well. Had a 41 in Halo 2 and i was only 12 at the time. I'm not an idiot. I'm also not trying to brag or anything either - I'm just saying I know Halo CE/2 pretty damn well and know that having Halo CE kill times in H5 would suck because it would literally make the game MORE campy and possibly slow down the game MORE because people will be hiding and playing passively.

I'm not here to argue that quick kill times aren't a good thing, I'm arguing that the AVERAGE kill times in H5 are always near the PERFECT kill time. In CE the difference between average and optimal was large enough to justify overly quick kill times. They would need to reduce the magnetism/aim assist before they shorten the kill times.

Also, re Halo 2: That game had similar avg kill times and optimal kill times, yes, but there were hundreds of other aspects to the game that increased the skillgap. Things that aren't present in Halo 5.

Neg me all you want, I'm still going to speak my mind and if saying something from Halo CE shouldn't be in a completely different game pisses nostalgia whores off then so be it.

Actually my point was that CE has the highest reticle magnetism in the series, and H2 has the most bullet magnetism in the series. 

So when people say, "it's sooooooooooooo easy to aim nowadays", I have no idea what they're talking about. 

A 4sk pistol is fine if the range is lower and it takes more skill to use. Pick up a rifle for longer range and similar power. I like that this little pistol is so badass in Halo 1 and I know many people feel the same way.

A legendary Keyes pistol that is 3sk with lots of range would be the coolest power weapon too. Just one per map that people fight for. Please make this happen 343i...

YES. 100% agree.

I'm not sure how much people would fight for what is at best, a 3SK weapon. It might be better off to spawn with 1 on each side of the map.

The AR needs to go back to how it was in Halo 3, people who say the AR in that game was useless are delusional.  I'm guessing they have to cater towards the idiots who think that they should be able to hit people across the map with it.

The AR needs to go back to how it was in Halo 3, people who say the AR in that game was useless are delusional. I'm guessing they have to cater towards the idiots who think that they should be able to hit people across the map with it.

The Ar at close range in H3 + melee was pretty strong, but the amount of trades was just too much.

The Ar at close range in H3 + melee was pretty strong, but the amount of trades was just too much.

I'd rather have 3 trades a game then have a guy 20 feet away kill me with a spray an pray AR/

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd rather have 3 trades a game then have a guy 20 feet away kill me with a spray an pray AR/

Melee shouldn't have such a prominent role in combat, I hated how good it was in Halo 3 and beyond considering how stupidly easy hits can land.

Yeah, hopefully that does the trick. 

@@Moa are you still writing a feedback compilation article? Is there a section dedicated to weapon balancing and starting weapons?

I've been writing it up in Word and I'm hoping to have it up by the end of the week, been a little bit busy. I was actually working on it earlier when the power went out for three hours. 

Actually my point was that CE has the highest reticle magnetism in the series, and H2 has the most bullet magnetism in the series. 

So when people say, "it's sooooooooooooo easy to aim nowadays", I have no idea what they're talking about. 

I never thought it was "hard" to aim in any Halo, but in H1 it was definitely hard as f to land the 3 shot consistently. I actually hated the BR in Halo 2 for how easy it was. I can't imagine how much better that game would have been with less magnetism. The thing about Halo CE is that there's ZERO magnetism. If you miss, you miss. The truth is that the only Halo that is somewhat challenging to aim is H3. You have to lead, theres less reticle mag AND less bullet mag. Add to that the "wonky", unresponsive controls and 25 fps and it actualy took a lot of dexterity to pull off good aim. Shame the registration was so garbage.

Anyways my point is that the later Halo's, especially Halo 4 and 2A, use INSANE amounts of reticle AND bullet megnetism. Its disgusting. If you haven't already, watch some H4 vids on it, and then multiply it by 2 for Halo 2A. Such a shame.

PSA: The headshot bonuses they are referring to is for Automatic weapons.

Precision weapons did not have a headshot bonus on shields.

I just want to see the mauler return.

I actually like the Bolt Shot as a replacement to the mauler.

Before you destroy my life - I mean as a map pickup. The boltshot takes a bit more skill than the mauler and has a more interesting function.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1