Sign in to follow this  
ZipCity117

Halo 5 Weapon Balancing

So with the Halo 5 beta, and 343's response to feedback, the main topic has been Spartan Abilities. Weapon balancing has largely been ignored, and we don't need another H4 where the weapons are only balanced 6 months after launch. I know Moa was talking about compiling most common suggestions for general feedback, maybe we can do that with weapon balancing. Think we can influence 343, as they haven't discussed this much yet, and weapon tuning isn't as game changing as spartan ability removal.                  

My suggestions:

Lower bullet magnetism for all weapons.

Pistol: Buff Pistol to 4sk, and reduce recoil, increase RRR. Leaves it with a .8-.9 second kill time, as opposed to 1-1.1 as it is right now. Starting weapon for all modes. Faster kill time punishes players for sprinting at high levels.

BR: Buff ROF very slightly, giving it a kill time of 1.2 seconds instead of 1.33. Deserves the relatively slower kill time, as it is much easier to use than pistol. Give it the 2-shot beatdown. 6-8 per map. 

DMR: Same buffs as BR, should have slower kill time because of its range. 2-4 per map. 

LR: Don't have numbers for it, but seemed to play well in Beta. 2-4 per map. 

AR: Reduce aim assist and remove all headshots. Starting weapon, add quick camo and more damage to vehicles. 

SMG: Buff power, increase recoil and bloom. 2 per map. 

Sniper Rifle: Reduce aim assist dramatically, increase ROF to CE/2 speeds.

Rocket Launcher: Seems pretty good right now.

Hydra: They've already said they're buffing its out-of-scope function, so seems fine.

Sword: Looks good to me (except for glare on Prophet's Bane). 

I know H5 isn't what we hoped it would be, but may as well make the most out of it. Please comment with suggestions, not #BoycottH5 or anything like that. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't mind the Magnum being a 5SK, as that nets you 2 perfect kills; something that works well for a starting weapon. Buff the scope so it actually does something.

The current BR seems mostly fine. It is in desperate need of a spread removal; vertical recoil is fine to limit the weapon at range. 3-shot melee because fuck melee battles.

DMR needs to be able to get 3 perfect kills per reload; having to reload right at the end of the third kill is awkward, and the change was made back in Halo 4 when the BR was still a 5SK. Should be on par with the Magnum in terms of difficulty, should kill equally as fast as the BR to make up for the BR's ease of use.

Automatics should have their headshot damage removed, damage increased slightly so they can compete with headshot weapons up close. Leave them as pickups.

The LightRifle seemed great, maybe give it a 1.5x scope.

Rockets seemed a bit weak at some times, almost like Halo 3 Rockets.

• Upvote (+1) 2

#BoycottH5 and they need to remove all the speed perks from Prophets Bane. The last thing we need is a person with Speed Boost picking up that damn things and then sprinting all to hell wherever they please. I would say that I don't think 343 is incompetent enough to put SB on the same map as PB, but then again, we still have Sprint... so there is my 2 cents.

Don't know if I want to start with a pistol when we have so many rifles we could be starting with if they balance them correctly. I much rather a meaty rifle in my killing-machine hands than a pistol :P Especially since I kind of like the BR redesign in 5 (minus the horns). 

#BoycottH5 and they need to remove all the speed perks from Prophets Bane. The last thing we need is a person with Speed Boost picking up that damn things and then sprinting all to hell wherever they please. I would say that I don't think 343 is incompetent enough to put SB on the same map as PB, but then again, we still have Sprint... so there is my 2 cents.

uh wut

highly doubt we're getting sb... and I think the swords are pretty useless, having a speed buff could be some sort of tactical advantage, idk. Swords/speed boosts aren't a problem especially since it's like flinging a wet pool noodle around. 

water-noodles.jpg

• Assault Rifle: REMOVE HEADSHOT MULTIPLIERIf headshot bonuses are completely removed I think the weapon would work fairly well. Perhaps more recoil when in Smart Scope and lower damage slightly.
  • Battle Rifle: Slightly buff ROF, RRR and Aim Assist were solid
  • Magnum: Up to 4sk, low aim assist allows for a trade off between using BR for more assist, or pistol for more RoF. Slight RRR buff, line it up with the BR's RRR
  • Light Rifle: Felt great in Beta
  • DMR: Increase ROF Slightly, RRR should be long but remain as a 5sk 
  • Prophets' Bane: Worked very well in Beta as the only power weapon on Truth. Lower the brightness (can't believe Josh didn't mention this in his update haha!)
  • Energy Sword: Too similar to Prophets' Bane. Should have less aim assist, shorter lunge range, and possibly even remove Smart Scope. No bonuses when scoped.
  • Hydra: I thought the weapon was literally perfect in Beta but I could see 343's planned buff to work out as well, just don't go overkill. This weapon was a fantastic addition.
  • Rockets: Shorter travel time with big blast radius (to compensate for Thrusters)
  • Sniper: Please redesign the sniper. Reach/H2A design with H3/Reach Audio. Reduce aim assist and magnetism/hitboxes greatly, make it feel like H3 Sniper difficulty.
  • SMG: Slightly more damage, much more recoil when in Smart Scope (felt more effective mid-range than AR, which is nuts)

Powerups:

• Overshield: 2 Bonus Layers of Shield with a Slower decay than H4 (90s-120s Respawn)
  • Camo: 45-60 second duration seems like a nice fit considering Sprint may make it a lot more powerful (90s-120s respawn)

I think a movement Speed Buff with Pistol and SMG would be a cool thing to play around with, just saying  :quinn:

@@Deez

@@Bravo

@@Sal1ent

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't mind the Magnum being a 5SK, as that nets you 2 perfect kills; something that works well for a starting weapon. Buff the scope so it actually does something.

Rockets seemed a bit weak at some times, almost like Halo 3 Rockets.

Why do you want to restrict the utility weapon to only 2 perfect kills? CE had 4, 2/3/4 had 3...

Rockets need a buff for sure. It's really easy to avoid rockets with thruster pack and sprint.

Yeah, hadn't thought about that. They had to buff grenades for same reason.

Don't know if I want to start with a pistol when we have so many rifles we could be starting with if they balance them correctly. I much rather a meaty rifle in my killing-machine hands than a pistol :P Especially since I kind of like the BR redesign in 5 (minus the horns). 

Dude, #PistolMasterRace. So far, Pistol is the most skillful weapon in the game, and a few tweaks would make it perfect. Plus, I'm sick of the AR/SMG starts vs BR starts divide. CE had it right. Also, since the Pistol is hard to use, it won't get used much at lower skill levels, and casuals won't complain. The BR is easier to use at lower levels, and will cause casuals to complain. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

throw me in the 4sk pistol camp. if you land your shots it should be unstoppable in close-mid range. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why do you want to restrict the utility weapon to only 2 perfect kills? CE had 4, 2/3/4 had 3...

Yeah, hadn't thought about that. They had to buff grenades for same reason.

Dude, #PistolMasterRace. So far, Pistol is the most skillful weapon in the game, and a few tweaks would make it perfect. Plus, I'm sick of the AR/SMG starts vs BR starts divide. CE had it right. Also, since the Pistol is hard to use, it won't get used much at lower skill levels, and casuals won't complain. The BR is easier to use at lower levels, and will cause casuals to complain. 

im just talking aesthetically, take whatever skill the pistol requires and change the pistols model to a rifle. I just wanna hold a rifle, feels better :P

im just talking aesthetically, take whatever skill the pistol requires and change the pistols model to a rifle. I just wanna hold a rifle, feels better :P

I get you. But all the rifles have at least one flaw which keeps them from being the ideal starting weapon. Better to just leave them on map, and keep their uniquenesses for people who like them. Flaws/identies: BR - Burst-fire, DMR - Range, LR - Scope Buff, CC - Alien, high ROF/spammy. Pistol is pretty generic and simple in comparison (with tweaks). 

Offer different weapons for different team sizes. Give 4v4 the BR, while 2v2 spawns with a Magnum.

Make the BR/magnum/DMR have a sub 1 second perfect kill time to balance sprint and thruster escapes. This also inadvertently balances the AR/SMG. You could forego the DMR's buffed TTK in favor of it having slightly more (not more than currently, but more than the BR, and also slightly less than it has now) bullet magnetism at range. This would give a clear advantage of the DMR at range, while making the BR/magnum deadly in the right hands close range.

Remove the smart link bonuses from the AR/SMG. I am fine if someone can scope with it, I don't prefer it, but if it gave no bonus other than making the target slightly bigger due to zoom, it's whatever. 

Increase the magnum's aim assist range by 15-20%

Halo 5's movement speeds and agility make the case in and of themselves for the sub 1 second perfect TTKs. The most infuriating thing that caused me to hate H5 the most was the fact that it was too easy for people to thrust and sprint away. If you reward a good shot with a fast TTK this removes a lot of the frustration I have with the game. People can still get away, but they would have to decide the instant they got shot to either run for cover or fight back. 

Fast TTKs influence more fighting and less running, making the game faster paced (with or without sprint) and reduces frustration when enemies get away for absolutely no reason other than being able to hit X and thrust behind cover and start sprinting to their teammates. 

Ideally, I'd like to see the removal of the BR altogether (go ahead and neg me!!!!). I actually think H5 could take some notes from CE and AR/magnum starts could work if we had some tweaks to the pistol. This would make the DMR a solid pickup for long range engagements but the default starting weapons would be able to wreck it in close-med range. Not only this, but it would make the vanilla version of the game better for all as the casual anti-BR people would get AR / pistol starts, and we would get our solid utility weapon at the start across the board.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Offer different weapons for different team sizes. Give 4v4 the BR, while 2v2 spawns with a Magnum.

Wasn't really my question - even in CE 2v2, players could get 4 perfect kills without reloading. This is especially important for a weapon you can miss so much with. Edit: Also, another Pistol advantage is how fast its smart-scope animation is - not as clunky as the BR, and a whole lot better looking.

Would love some pro feedback on this (besides BR knee-jerk). @@Prototype @@RyaNoob @@Heinz @Lxthul @Mikwen 

Edit: Also, @@Cursed Lemon 

I'm vehemently against having multiple utility weapons, if only for the fact that it's a complete waste of space and time. 

Obviously we don't get to design this from the ground up, but if we were actually trying to make the pistol the starting weapon, ditch the BR and DMR. 

Does anyone know what the pistol's accuracy is? Do we even know if it shoots straight? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm vehemently against having multiple utility weapons, if only for the fact that it's a complete waste of space and time. 

Obviously we don't get to design this from the ground up, but if we were actually trying to make the pistol the starting weapon, ditch the BR and DMR. 

Does anyone know what the pistol's accuracy is? Do we even know if it shoots straight? 

From what I've seen (and played at friend's house), there is very little bloom, and no spread. It does have a lot of recoil though, and a shorter RRR than BR. There's just more room to work with Pistol as utility weapon, as it's been different in every game, unlike BR. 

On the topic of multiple utility weapons, I agree, but the DMR & BR aren't going anywhere. DMR & LR sort of have their own niche though, which is good. I would like to see the BR become like the CC of previous games; on-map pickup for those who like it's aesthetics etc. 

I'd say just make the DMR a 3sk with projectiles instead of hitscan along with a drop in bullet magnetism and buff all weapons across the board, but I don't see that flying.

I don't see the pistol being a good starting weapon if they keep the scope system from the beta, the scope was pretty damn useless and you just can't cross map effectively with the weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like the sniper to be more like the H3 one. Very little aim assist and you have to lead your shots. Same with the BR, but no random spread.

dynamic variety evolve

I remember seeing a video where it had negligible horizontal spread at close range, as well as the vertical recoil. Do you think a 343 guy would be allowed to tell us the range of angular deviation, at the absolute least in comparison to the BR or DMR, or are they saving that info for some hype trailer later on? It would be terrible if 343 balanced the pistol with low auto aim and significant random spread.

Also, @@Sitri, interesting idea with having pistol 2v2 and BR 4v4 (because we know the "competitive community" will never give up that beloved weapon), but I still see no reason why a 0.825 s 4SK pistol would be overall a bad idea (odd vs even is not the absolute most important thing), since the strafe will be better and the kill time faster--or, better yet, a legendary 3SK pistol with a slightly slower rate of fire.

The desperate attempts at making this game CE-like are hilarious. The shooting skill gap isn't large enough to warrant such quick kill times. If you made Halo 5'sweapons kill as fast as some of you are saying in tandem with the current aim assist/magnetism settings we'd have Call of Duty syndrome even more-so.

A lot of the suggestions make no sense because the maximum kill time is too close to the average kill time in recent Halo's.

Some of you guys are fully ********.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

The desperate attempts at making this game CE-like are hilarious. The shooting skill gap isn't large enough to warrant such quick kill times. If you made Halo 5'sweapons kill as fast as some of you are saying in tandem with the current aim assist/magnetism settings we'd have Call of Duty syndrome even more-so.

A lot of the suggestions make no sense because the maximum kill time is too close to the average kill time in recent Halo's.

Which is why in tandem with quicker kill times people are usually suggesting a drop in aim assist along with it.  Personally I'd like quicker kill times if the weapons were all projectile based with lowered bullet magnetism to help mitigate the issue of emphasis on things such as teamshooting which plagued the Halo 5 beta.

Every time someone makes this comment

I wonder if they've ever played Halo 2

• Upvote (+1) 2

Negged for not reading the posts - almost everyone here has suggested lowering aim assist and bullet magnetism. 

1. Give me a weapon that kills in less than a second (.6s to .9s).

2. Make it hard, yet satisfying to shoot and kill.

3. Make gunplay chief importance.

4. ???

5. Profit

Edit: Let me spawn with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1