ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming PC Build Guide Thread [2015]

Economically a small SSD and a 1TB HDD would better. Just use the small SSD for apps and the OS, then use the HDD to save your videos and projects, plus any games.

A big SSD would have things open faster all around but they are expensive. ~350$ for a 1TB SSD

Sounds like a plan. Do you think its worth replacing a laptop HDD? My laptop is useable for stretches, but at anytime for whatever reason the HDD will seize up and BSOD. I just don't feel like putting money into this if I could put that toward a PC. 

Sounds like a plan. Do you think its worth replacing a laptop HDD? My laptop is useable for stretches, but at anytime for whatever reason the HDD will seize up and BSOD. I just don't feel like putting money into this if I could put that toward a PC. 

Maybe if you can find a really good deal online, otherwise just save for the PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173150&ignorebbr=1

^^Edit: $40 for a 120GB SSD, might give some decent life in the laptop for a bit longer. If the laptop ever dies you can salvage the SSD.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Building another PC soon for a friend and wanted to pop in and say thanks for the help the first time around guys. It was appreciated. 

Building another PC soon for a friend and wanted to pop in and say thanks for the help the first time around guys. It was appreciated. 

Everyone in this thread is always happy to help!

Hi guys - building my first PC (mainly to play H5 on Win10 but also due for an upgrade) ... any comments or suggestions are very welcome

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F6nRYr

I do video editing + photo editing + would like to play, e.g., Skyrim at ultra / 60fps / 1080p

I currently have Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10 ... I don't have a product key etc. so I'm assuming I would need to "repurchase" W10? My upgraded version on my current PC won't transfer, right?

16gb RAM may seem to be a tad high but I do pretty intensive video/photo editing so I figure I might as well.

In terms of timing, should I wait to until an imminent price drop? E.g., is a new series of Intel CPUs coming out soon and I would be a moron to buy a CPU right now?

I have no clue in terms of power supply; PCPartPicker says I only need 213W but virtually all power supply options were way more wattage than that.

I play DVDs and have a lot of old photos on DVD-Rs, so I feel like an internal optical drive is a must, but I'm concerned, is the mid-tower case big enough for an HD, SSD, and optical drive?

Is the mobo big enough?

I figure 250gb is about right (I'll put W10, Photoshop, Premiere, and high-use files on there), but would a bigger SSD make sense?

Hi guys - building my first PC (mainly to play H5 on Win10 but also due for an upgrade) ... any comments or suggestions are very welcome

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F6nRYr

I do video editing + photo editing + would like to play, e.g., Skyrim at ultra / 60fps / 1080p

I currently have Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10 ... I don't have a product key etc. so I'm assuming I would need to "repurchase" W10? My upgraded version on my current PC won't transfer, right?

16gb RAM may seem to be a tad high but I do pretty intensive video/photo editing so I figure I might as well.

In terms of timing, should I wait to until an imminent price drop? E.g., is a new series of Intel CPUs coming out soon and I would be a moron to buy a CPU right now?

I have no clue in terms of power supply; PCPartPicker says I only need 213W but virtually all power supply options were way more wattage than that.

I play DVDs and have a lot of old photos on DVD-Rs, so I feel like an internal optical drive is a must, but I'm concerned, is the mid-tower case big enough for an HD, SSD, and optical drive?

Is the mobo big enough?

I figure 250gb is about right (I'll put W10, Photoshop, Premiere, and high-use files on there), but would a bigger SSD make sense?

You could save and wait. New Intel CPU are supposed to be early next year but there is no performance upgrade. Kaby Lake CPU will be the same in performance expect that they will have more USB 3.1 support, and other video encoding stuff.

You were getting a small motherboard that will look tiny in the case and its a bit pricier too. 

Here is a different build, I tried to fit an i7 6700 that is better for video rendering. I does cost a bit more, so if you cant handle the price drop the i7 to an i5. Also I forgot to put a optical drive so you can add that in there too.

0Vaqdsn.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

You could save and wait. New Intel CPU are supposed to be early next year but there is no performance upgrade. Kaby Lake CPU will be the same in performance expect that they will have more USB 3.1 support, and other video encoding stuff.

You were getting a small motherboard that will look tiny in the case and its a bit pricier too. 

Here is a different build, I tried to fit an i7 6700 that is better for video rendering. I does cost a bit more, so if you cant handle the price drop the i7 to an i5. Also I forgot to put a optical drive so you can add that in there too.

interesting, that's good to know about the new gen of CPUs ... I figured I would probably wait to build the PC until my XBL subscription ran out (lol), in April 2017, so that gives me another reason to wait.  It looks like prices for video cards and other components take a loooooong time to drop though, right?  

I see that you picked a 550W power source, honestly I'm mystified by power sources ... everyone says that you should never skimp on this because it can fry your entire build, but if my wattage needs are literally 230, why would I buy anything above 400W?  Is "gold-certified" somehow better than "bronze-certified"?  Etc.

I agree on the mobo, that looks great; nothing fancy but it has everything I'd need (I won't be doing SLI or other high-complexity stuff).  

I've been debating cutting costs on the GPU ... 1050-ti is $120 less and the quality doesn't seem THAT much lower.  Does it make sense to cut costs on the CPU or GPU?  I do some video editing but I'm mainly interested in gaming, and I hear that i7 doesn't help as much for gaming ...

interesting, that's good to know about the new gen of CPUs ... I figured I would probably wait to build the PC until my XBL subscription ran out (lol), in April 2017, so that gives me another reason to wait.  It looks like prices for video cards and other components take a loooooong time to drop though, right?  

I see that you picked a 550W power source, honestly I'm mystified by power sources ... everyone says that you should never skimp on this because it can fry your entire build, but if my wattage needs are literally 230, why would I buy anything above 400W?  Is "gold-certified" somehow better than "bronze-certified"?  Etc.

I agree on the mobo, that looks great; nothing fancy but it has everything I'd need (I won't be doing SLI or other high-complexity stuff).  

I've been debating cutting costs on the GPU ... 1050-ti is $120 less and the quality doesn't seem THAT much lower.  Does it make sense to cut costs on the CPU or GPU?  I do some video editing but I'm mainly interested in gaming, and I hear that i7 doesn't help as much for gaming ...

Yeah the video cards take a long time to lower in price and they are still pretty new in the market.

About the PSU. 

Bronze PSUs are less efficient than Gold PSUs. Typically Gold PSUs are built better with higher quality parts than bronze PSUs. The website will tell you exactly how much is needed. 95w is what the CPU takes up and ~125w is what the GPU takes up so 220w total(Hardrives and other stuff take up a little bit of power too ). You never get a PSU that is exactly what you need you always get one that is 25% - 50% more of what you need. 

If you are doing gaming more cut the CPU from an i7 6700 to an i5 6500, don't gimp the GPU. 

Yeah the video cards take a long time to lower in price and they are still pretty new in the market.

About the PSU. 

Bronze PSUs are less efficient than Gold PSUs. Typically Gold PSUs are built better with higher quality parts than bronze PSUs. The website will tell you exactly how much is needed. 95w is what the CPU takes up and ~125w is what the GPU takes up so 220w total(Hardrives and other stuff take up a little bit of power too ). You never get a PSU that is exactly what you need you always get one that is 25% - 50% more of what you need. 

if you are doing gaming more cut the CPU from an i7 6700 to an i5 6500, don't gimp the GPU. 

Interesting, that's all very helpful ...

I was also looking into having it pre-built, basically I priced everything out (with your suggestions, going down to an i5) and the parts are ~$1020 for what I would need, and having the exact same parts prebuilt through a small technology company in Ohio (very well-reviewed) would be ~$1120.  In my opinion, it's worth $100 for peace of mind and the labor that I would have had to spend ordering parts, building the thing, etc., and then I can always do upgrades myself (I can switch out a GPU no problem, it's setting up the PC in the first place that's a bit complex) ... does this seem insane to you?  I guess I've just read soooooooo many horror stories on Reddit about someone who put a PC together themselves and the BIOS wouldn't load or they put the wrong SATA cable in and fried everything, etc., and there's no warranty or whatever for self-built machines.

Save your money and build it yourself. Feel free to hit me up in the teambeyond discord and I can always walk you through building it. Building a PC is not that hard.

Interesting, that's all very helpful ...

I was also looking into having it pre-built, basically I priced everything out (with your suggestions, going down to an i5) and the parts are ~$1020 for what I would need, and having the exact same parts prebuilt through a small technology company in Ohio (very well-reviewed) would be ~$1120.  In my opinion, it's worth $100 for peace of mind and the labor that I would have had to spend ordering parts, building the thing, etc., and then I can always do upgrades myself (I can switch out a GPU no problem, it's setting up the PC in the first place that's a bit complex) ... does this seem insane to you?  I guess I've just read soooooooo many horror stories on Reddit about someone who put a PC together themselves and the BIOS wouldn't load or they put the wrong SATA cable in and fried everything, etc., and there's no warranty or whatever for self-built machines.

Save your money and build it yourself. Feel free to hit me up in the teambeyond discord and I can always walk you through building it. Building a PC is not that hard.

great, thanks

Not a pc but my laptop shitted out on me, looking around and i have my eyes on https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXCBXQO

Thougjts? Do you know of a better one around that price range?

Looks like a good deal for the price!

or you can maybe wait for one of these Dells, they come with a newer processor and GPU that should be stronger.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10937/dell-readies-new-xps-15-4k-quad-core-kaby-lake-geforce-gtx-1050

Hope you add a video card later!

Sick PC!

Haha yeah, should have mentioned, I have an MSI RX 480 8GB I'm installing tonight, just wanted to get everything else working first ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Finally did my first PC Build ever the other day (well, for myself.. I've actually done one before but had some help from another friend). I'm absolutely in love! I knew most of this stuff already, but this thread definitely came in handy to help me pick my parts as well as a number of build and review tutorials on YouTube. 

EXTREMELY satisfied with the results; especially it being my first go around. Extremely solid performance so far!   :D

Build:

CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Motherboard
Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400

Storage
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card (I bought the A8G version. The O8G would've only given me a fraction better performance, some benchmarks showed more consistent framerates at 1440p @ 144hz than the O8G as well. If I really needed to, I can always overclock the A8G as well).

Case
Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

I also have two new monitors, one an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR -- 1440p, 144hz (can be overclocked to 165hz) 1ms
and an ASUS VG278HV -- 1080p, 144hz, 1ms

The white monitor is my ASUS MX239H 1080p monitor that I've been using for quite some time alongside another ASUS monitor.

Images below if you care.

uM4RhA4.jpg?1

CmSJMGI.jpg?1

V2eJAVr.jpg?2

BEQHRAW.jpg?1

qqGe8JC.jpg?1

I've never actually owned a PC or a laptop with a SSD before and I have to admit.. They completely live up to the hype. It's insane how your PC can boot up and you can load, sign-in, and start an application within about 15 seconds.

I definitely had a lot of fun with this, I'm actually looking forward to doing another build in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sweet mama that looks nice

You got RL on PC Deuce? We should play sometime

This is my baby haha. 

And yeah I have it, I haven't tried it yet though. That was actually my friend playing it after she watched me put the PC together. I'll let you know if I decide to hop on man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is my baby haha. 

And yeah I have it, I haven't tried it yet though. That was actually my friend playing it after she watched me put the PC together. I'll let you know if I decide to hop on man.

Bless. Glad that it seems to be working for ya duder!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Finally did my first PC Build ever the other day (well, for myself.. I've actually done one before but had some help from another friend). I'm absolutely in love! I knew most of this stuff already, but this thread definitely came in handy to help me pick my parts as well as a number of build and review tutorials on YouTube. 

EXTREMELY satisfied with the results; especially it being my first go around. Extremely solid performance so far!   :D

Build:

CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Motherboard
Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151

Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400

Storage
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card (I bought the A8G version. The O8G would've only given me a fraction better performance, some benchmarks showed more consistent framerates at 1440p @ 144hz than the O8G as well. If I really needed to, I can always overclock the A8G as well).

Case
Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

I also have two new monitors, one an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR -- 1440p, 144hz (can be overclocked to 165hz) 1ms
and an ASUS VG278HV -- 1080p, 144hz, 1ms

The white monitor is my ASUS MX239H 1080p monitor that I've been using for quite some time alongside another ASUS monitor.

Images below if you care.

uM4RhA4.jpg?1

CmSJMGI.jpg?1

V2eJAVr.jpg?2

BEQHRAW.jpg?1

qqGe8JC.jpg?1

I've never actually owned a PC or a laptop with a SSD before and I have to admit.. They completely live up to the hype. It's insane how your PC can boot up and you can load, sign-in, and start an application within about 15 seconds.

I definitely had a lot of fun with this, I'm actually looking forward to doing another build in the future.

This is basically the exact same build I have, i have to say, the PG278Q was an insane upgrade over my benQ XL2411z's i was using. However i still use the 1080p monitor for Xbox! 1440p is life now tho, and 144hz is so smooth! Hope you enjoy it!

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is basically the exact same build I have, i have to say, the PG278Q was an insane upgrade over my benQ XL2411z's i was using. However i still use the 1080p monitor for Xbox! 1440p is life now tho, and 144hz is so smooth! Hope you enjoy it!

It's an INSANE upgrade man.. It's ridiculous. I have two new 27 inch 144hz monitors for my computer but, like you, I'm still using my 1ms Asus MX239H monitor for the Xbox. When I'm not playing Xbox, I just use it as a 3rd monitor when I'm working on projects, videos, etc. It's extremely difficult to go back and forth between 144hz and 60hz lol.

Thanks man! Great minds think alike.  :)

I will say, I only have one Lessons Learned from this build and this was just from my inexperience with getting the parts myself. When I helped do a build for a friend of mine, she bought all the parts already and I just put everything together for her (minus the motherboard, which another friend of mine helped me with). However, I never thought about the case dimensions until this build. For the case that I have, it's pretty cramped and because the HDD slots stick out so much, I can honestly only fit one graphics card in there. I would need to upgrade to a bigger case (or remove the HDD slots, which I'm not using anyway) in order to add another one. Which I probably just may end up doing, considering I just realized this as I was typing this out haha.

For people interested in doing a build themselves, make sure you don't glance over and grab a cheap/effective case like me. The Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case is a very solid case, but like I said, I got it because the reviews are good and it was much cheaper than all the others. It's pretty cramped so it made cable management a bit tricky, but I was able to clean it up a bit. But, if I had to recommend, I would say study up and get a bigger case.

I will say, I only have one Lessons Learned from this build and this was just from my inexperience with getting the parts myself. When I helped do a build for a friend of mine, she bought all the parts already and I just put everything together for her (minus the motherboard, which another friend of mine helped me with). However, I never thought about the case dimensions until this build. For the case that I have, it's pretty cramped and because the HDD slots stick out so much, I can honestly only fit one graphics card in there. I would need to upgrade to a bigger case (or remove the HDD slots, which I'm not using anyway) in order to add another one. Which I probably just may end up doing, considering I just realized this as I was typing this out haha.

This, absolutely true, i had a small case for my original build a couple of years ago.The only parts i could salvage for my current build were my CPU (i7 5820) and my mobo. The case i had was a mid tower, so i ended up buying a corsair 780T, one of my best investments for sure! A big draw back, especially with high end parts in a cramped case is over heating, i have 8 case fans (love my external fan control) and the GPU and CPU never get over 50c. Cases are pretty cheap now tbh, i picked mine up for $130 on sale, and my mid tower cost the exact same, but no wi have a cool window to look at all the LEDs  :kappa:

So I gave up on my idea of building a PC last year, but I'm starting to think about it again. I know it has been recommended against slowly buying the parts over a couple of months, but that will probably be my only option. Anyway, I really have no idea what I'm doing. I did some minimal reading, looked back at old posts, and threw together a parts list if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some feedback on it. Not trying to set the world on fire here, just want 1080p/60fps. Just want to make sure I'm not putting parts together that have no business being together.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/C6swFd