ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming PC Build Guide Thread [2015]

So I still havent got round to getting my PC yet. @@Synyster you linked me this last year: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cnsc99

Should I still go for it or is there better options now?

Im planning on doing YouTube at some point and I'll also wanna play a wide variety of games from racing sims to shooters.

My price range is £750-£800. Also how hard will it be to set the whole thing up, considering I'm someone who doesnt know a lot about PC's and has never buit my own before?

There are better options coming next month, the AMD RX480 is going to perform like a 980 for $200.

Wait for now, all the new GPUs are releasing this summer.

AMD just announced a GPU that comes out later this month.

The RX 480 is about Fury level performance for $199 (4GB or the 8GB for $229). I'd definitely wait for that assuming that it benchmarks what they claim it does.

If you can scrounge a little more money the GTX 1070 comes out later this month I believe and has Titan level performance for $380.

Yeah the GTX 1070 performs like a 980Ti!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I forgot to mention i have turned on my xbox twice since building my pc in march

• Upvote (+1) 1

I forgot to mention i have turned on my xbox twice since building my pc in march

Yeah, I built mine in 08/09, but I didn't really start playing a ton of games on it until a couple years later.

But now every multi-system game I buy is bought on the PC unless most of my friends are buying it on a console.

@@Nades

Things are shifting around a bit in the computer world, I'd hold out and see what happens over the next month or two; if things pan out they way people talk about them like AMD, a lot of game changers are coming.

pretty much what @Nokt  said

Bought one for MCC; MCC sucked sold it.

Bought one for H5, played H5 for awhile but H5 sucked so I sold it too.

Still having a blast on my PC though.

So, I recently moved and my router is no longer in my room; using an N600 router. I don't like the thought of wifi adapters, I prefer hard wire so I was looking at other options. One friend suggested an AC router that comes with it's own dedicated wifi usb adapter which I thought was cool, but way too expensive. Plus, I'm only paying for 100 down, I'm not even getting the full potential out of my N router with those speeds so updating to AC seems silly. So, i bought an $18 Netgear N600 usb adapter, I'm pulling in 110 down on 5ghz and 99 down on 2.4ghz. Fuckin stoked.

There are better options coming next month, the AMD RX480 is going to perform like a 980 for $200.

Wait for now, all the new GPUs are releasing this summer.

Yeah the GTX 1070 performs like a 980Ti!

Ok, cheers.

If you get the time could you make me a build please?

Thanks man :)

Alright I have a good build that doesnt have the GPU, you could buy this PC and use integrated till the new GPUs come out.

The Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics should be able to do 720p 60fps Low on AAA titles and higher settings on less demanding games.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£164.28 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£70.92 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£28.96 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£69.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£38.29 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £462.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 00:00 BST+0100

The new mid tier GPUs that are releasing in the next one or two months should be around £175. That should bring you to £650.

Not sure if you have Windows, M&KB, Monitor, and Headset. If you are over budget You can sacrifice the CPU cooler, if you're still low sacrifice the SSD. Those are the only two that wont damage the integrity or gaming performance of the build.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright I have a good build that doesnt have the GPU, you could buy this PC and use integrated till the new GPUs come out.

The Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics should be able to do 720p 60fps Low on AAA titles and higher settings on less demanding games.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£164.28 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.99 @ Novatech)

Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£70.92 @ CCL Computers)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£28.96 @ More Computers)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£63.03 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£38.29 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Cooler Master 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: £462.46

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 00:00 BST+0100

The new mid tier GPUs that are releasing in the next one or two months should be around £175. That should bring you to £650.

Not sure if you have Windows, M&KB, Monitor, and Headset. If you are over budget You can sacrifice the CPU cooler, if you're still low sacrifice the SSD. Those are the only two that wont damage the integrity or gaming performance of the build.

Thanks man, much appreciated! :D I only need to get M&KB and Windows after getting all this, then I'm set. Thanks again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($314.99 @ Newegg) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($150.88 @ OutletPC) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($59.88 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.69 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.00 @ Amazon) 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($117.98 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.88 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $974.28

spent the last day building this little nugget. undecided on a gfx card yet. not sure what I wanna do with the new 1070's coming out later this summer.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($59.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 

spent the last day building this little nugget. undecided on a gfx card yet. not sure what I wanna do with the new 1070's coming out later this summer.

New 1070s are slightly more powerful than the 980Tis, its a good choice if you dont want to break the bank to much. 

New 1070s are slightly more powerful than the 980Tis, its a good choice if you dont want to break the bank to much. 

i'll prolly land there. plenty of juice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why an i7?

Why a 750W PSU?

And get the 1070 like Z said; card is crazy good for the price.

Why an i7?

Why a 750W PSU?

Eh, you'll save what 20 bucks with a 650w PSU. Better in case you ever want to do more or SLI/Crossfire.

Why an i7?

Why a 750W PSU?

just felt like it. no more reason needed than that, right?

Eh, you'll save what 20 bucks with a 650w PSU. Better in case you ever want to do more or SLI/Crossfire.

If anything, you could get a higher rated PSU like Plat and get a 550W. I'm using a 520W with 4 hard drives and 1 GPU, zero issues at all.

And to be honest, SLI/Crossfire is kind of poop compared to the money you save and performance you can get out of single cards.

just felt like it. no more reason needed than that, right?

I mean, fuck it, haha.

Although, I hate to see people spend more money than they need to, even though it's not my money.

Unless you need an i7 for something like graphics work or auto card or virtual, might as well save yourself $100+ and get an i5, you see almost zero performance gain with an i7 for gaming.

But, hey, it's yo monies do as you please.

If anything, you could get a higher rated PSU like Plat and get a 550W. I'm using a 520W with 4 hard drives and 1 GPU, zero issues at all.

And to be honest, SLI/Crossfire is kind of poop compared to the money you save and performance you can get out of single cards.

I mean, fuck it, haha.

Although, I hate to see people spend more money than they need to, even though it's not my money.

Unless you need an i7 for something like graphics work or auto card or virtual, might as well save yourself $100+ and get an i5, you see almost zero performance gain with an i7 for gaming.

But, hey, it's yo monies do as you please.

You can probably run an i7 6700 and a GTX 1080 on a GOLD 550w.

80% of 550w is 440w. 

An i7 will be 100w.

A GTX 1080 will be 200w

Maybe ~25w for all the other stuff. 

Thats around 320w, you still have a 100w buffer. You dont need large PSUs these days.

Also if you want an i7 for the fuck of it, and non-overclockable i7 plus a B150 board and a 550w PSU is good way to go. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any recommendations for websites to sell hardware at? I was gonna do /r hardwareswap but I'm new to reddit and have to meet way too many criteria just to post 

Time to trade in my Xbox! I held onto it for the few exclusives mainly Gears of War but now that every Microsoft published game is coming to PC is there even a point to buying the inferior version? Lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

OK, so I'm definitely looking into a build to set as a target for the future, but I'm not familiar with the process. I have a few questions.

Is there any particularly good way to keep track of all of this crap and weigh my options with regards to price versus performance?

I'm looking to use this rig for gaming, game development, and multimedia. Am I correct in concluding that a high end processor (leaning towards an i7) and 16-32gb of DDR3 RAM would be a good option here? Not sure about the motherboard situation.

I really want to go with liquid cooling (not a custom set-up. I am sane). Where the hell do I start with that? I was looking at some Corsair stuff (I like their shit), particularly the H100i GTX cooler and some of their full tower cases like the Obsidian 750D.

That's about it... for now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

OK, so I'm definitely looking into a build to set as a target for the future, but I'm not familiar with the process. I have a few questions.

Is there any particularly good way to keep track of all of this crap and weigh my options with regards to price versus performance?

I'm looking to use this rig for gaming, game development, and multimedia. Am I correct in concluding that a high end processor (leaning towards an i7) and 16-32gb of DDR3 RAM would be a good option here? Not sure about the motherboard situation.

I really want to go with liquid cooling (not a custom set-up. I am sane). Where the hell do I start with that? I was looking at some Corsair stuff (I like their shit), particularly the H100i GTX cooler and some of their full tower cases like the Obsidian 750D.

That's about it... for now.

Over the $1500 mark PCs dont really differ in performance unless you invest in X99 or Multi-GPU setups and those setups cost ungoldy amounts of money.

If you read the my OP you can get an idea of how to gauge parts. You can also go on Youtube and look at benchmarks of various PC parts. 

An i7 and 16GB will be good enough RAM for your overall usesif you're serious about them. 

In the end you have to choose, do want faster loading times, better game performance, or more CPUs cores.

Here are two builds that would perform the same except for loading times, but gaming and editing performance is the same. Only difference is the amount of motherboard ports and SSDs.

For $1900...

Xjf0US3.png

For $1400

uJ5j3Cf.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a GTX1080, a 6700K i7 and 16GB of RAM, will I be able to run Overwatch?

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have a GTX1080, a 6700K i7 and 16GB of RAM, will I be able to run Overwatch?

:kappa:

4K 60Hz or 1440P 144hz lol