ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming PC Build Guide Thread [2015]

What do I upgrade if I want to improve video processing/streaming/capturing (HD60+OBS). Right now my stream has issues going out of sync, laging/glitching really bad occasionally, and if I'm capturing at 1080/60 I get screen tearing  (about a half second worth ~3x per minute).

Also my PC display/video output still has trouble in the cold - pretty much if the weather is anything lower than 15Cel/55Fahren, I have to apply a fan heater to the front of it for a few minutes before being able to turn it on, so that's like 65% of the year for me.

Specs below:

ASUS M5A97 Evo

AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processors

GeForce GTX 570

8GB RAM

Antec Earthwatts 650W Power Supply Model: 00f

60G SSD - Windows 7 64-bit Operating System

250G HDD - Extras

1T HDD - Video Storage

*System Information Window*

System Manufacturer: To be filled by O.E.M

Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB

Avalaible Physical Memory 6.01 GB

Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB

Avalaible Virtual Memory 13.6 GB

Well shit. lol.

Option 1: Cheap

FX 4100 is really not good for video processing or streaming. It barely cuts it with low streaming setting and video processing probably takes a long time for you.

You CAN upgrade to a FX 8320 to get a performance boost out of your system. An 8350 will take up more power but your PSU is 650w which should be more than enough, Im not sure how reliable the your PSU really is under stressful conditions but if the 650w is "real" then you should be fine.

You'll go from 4 cores to 8 cores, or Logical processors whatever AMD says is going on in their processors.

Option 2: Expensive 

AMD FX processors are highly outdated(2011) so you could replace lots of core PC parts with Intel stuff.

Right now Intel has like ~40% better IPC, meaning each individual core is WAY faster than a AMD core.

You could buy a new Intel PC. You reuse, Drives, GPU, and the RAM.

• Upvote (+1) 1

FX 8320 is $250nzd

And to change to Intel would it just involve buying a new mobo and CPU? so like:

Fucked if I know anything about mobos. The intel ones on this site I'm using have 4 categories and range from $95 to $900 http://playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139233/CATID=26/Motherboards.html

And like http://playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=375/ID=26121/SID=1035680875/productdetails.html? $399

So at least double the dosh to intel it up. Do you think that if I was spending $250 on the AMD upgrade, that I might as well put a bit more in and intel it?

FX 8320 is $250nzd

And to change to Intel would it just involve buying a new mobo and CPU? so like:

Fucked if I know anything about mobos. The intel ones on this site I'm using have 4 categories and range from $95 to $900 http://playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139233/CATID=26/Motherboards.html

And like http://playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=375/ID=26121/SID=1035680875/productdetails.html? $399

So at least double the dosh to intel it up. Do you think that if I was spending $250 on the AMD upgrade, that I might as well put a bit more in and intel it?

Intel would definitely be an upgrade.

Your gonna need to do some research on they types of Intel cpus and mobos.

And... I checked the website.... you're fucked monetary wise they cleared out the last gen intel CPUs and only have the new ones(released last month)... Any other websites? What is your budget?

Optimal content creation would be Intel i7 and a corresponding motherboard.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This thread is great! Awesome work @@ZerueLX11!

I built my own PC last year after running my old ancient one into the ground. I had a reasonable budget but not a massive one so just bought a few pieces at a time as the year went by.

The only thing it is currently missing is a GPU, which is fine at the moment as I don’t really do much gaming on PC yet – unless classics like Command & Conquer Red Alert 1 and 2 and Unreal Tournament 99 count?  :lol: 

However with the new DOOM and a few other new games dropping in the near future, and the possibility of steaming, I’m gonna be in the market for a mid-range GPU to "complete" this build. I currently have my eye on the MSI NVIDIA GTX 960 (4GB) but the market is vast for this kind of thing so I will have to do some more research here.

For reference my current build is as follows and has probably cost me upwards of £800 as I gradually collected the parts  :o but will hopefully last me a good few years.

• Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H motherboard
  • Intel Core i5 4690K processor
  • Corsair H60 cooler
  • Corsair CSM-650 power supply
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM x2 - 16GB
  • Corsair SP120 cooling fan x2
  • Pioneer Blu-ray optical drive
  • Samsung DVD-R optical drive
  • Samsung 120GB SSD (boot)
  • WD Red 3TB HDD x2 (6TB - for media – I use the PC as a media server also)
  • Housed in a Corsair Carbide 200R Case and running Windows 10 Pro

@

With a newer GPU, that build will be solid for a few years.

Build mine in 2012 and I'm just now starting to see the system struggle a bit and by struggle I mean not max out every game at 60fps on high/ultra.

This thread is great! Awesome work @@ZerueLX11!

I built my own PC last year after running my old ancient one into the ground. I had a reasonable budget but not a massive one so just bought a few pieces at a time as the year went by.

The only thing it is currently missing is a GPU, which is fine at the moment as I don’t really do much gaming on PC yet – unless classics like Command & Conquer Red Alert 1 and 2 and Unreal Tournament 99 count?  :lol: 

However with the new DOOM and a few other new games dropping in the near future, and the possibility of steaming, I’m gonna be in the market for a mid-range GPU to "complete" this build. I currently have my eye on the MSI NVIDIA GTX 960 (4GB) but the market is vast for this kind of thing so I will have to do some more research here.

For reference my current build is as follows and has probably cost me upwards of £800 as I gradually collected the parts  :o but will hopefully last me a good few years.

• Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H motherboard
  • Intel Core i5 4690K processor
  • Corsair H60 cooler
  • Corsair CSM-650 power supply
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM x2 - 16GB
  • Corsair SP120 cooling fan x2
  • Pioneer Blu-ray optical drive
  • Samsung DVD-R optical drive
  • Samsung 120GB SSD (boot)
  • WD Red 3TB HDD x2 (6TB - for media – I use the PC as a media server also)
  • Housed in a Corsair Carbide 200R Case and running Windows 10 Pro

A GTX 960 would be very good, and comes with some ossim Nvidia features. It can definitely handle 1080p 60fps on High settings maybe Ultra settings on some games. The CPU will last the longest, maybe 3-5 years if you really wait it out. The GPU may have to be changed in 2 years. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure i'm about to buy a GTX980ti, 6gb... I'm in Canada, so electronics, especially PC parts, are not cheap... expensive investment. Probably not much i can't play on max with that eh? And i just seen you say a GTX 960 may get 2 years of solid use, what do you think a 6gb 980ti would get? 3?

I also have a i7 4820k cpu in atm. assuming i should get another -3 years out of that too, if i really stretch it out? 3 years is more then enough time for me to save for a new build, so that'd be a nice life span for a gpu & cpu.

@@ZerueLX11 btw, awesome thread. never posted, but ive used this a lot well building the couple pc's i did this summer.

Pretty sure i'm about to buy a GTX980ti, 6gb... I'm in Canada, so electronics, especially PC parts, are not cheap... expensive investment. Probably not much i can't play on max with that eh? And i just seen you say a GTX 960 may get 2 years of solid use, what do you think a 6gb 980ti would get? 3?

I also have a i7 4820k cpu in atm. assuming i should get another -3 years out of that too, if i really stretch it out? 3 years is more then enough time for me to save for a new build, so that'd be a nice life span for a gpu & cpu.

@@ZerueLX11

Yeah you should get 4-5 solid years on that CPU. Like I said CPUs don't require too much changing over time.

GPUs dont stay relevant as long but a GTX 980Ti will last you a long time depending at what resolution and frame rate you are playing at.

1080p 60fps 3-4 years

1080p 144hz 3 years

1440p 60hz 2 years

4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz 1 year or less.

For example a BF4 at 1080p with a GTX 980ti will run at 144 frames per a second just fine.  

If nothing breaks or burns out that is haha.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are we talking about your GPU playing games on Ultra or what?

Im assuming high or ultra. As time goes on we can drecrease one or two settings to boost performance. We dont have to be max out all the graphics all the time.

Im assuming high or ultra. As time goes on we can drecrease one or two settings to boost performance. We dont have to be max out all the graphics all the time.

Gotcha.

Referencing your year guide on GPU and it seems to be accurate even when looking at my computer.

7950 bought in 2012 - first game I wasn't able to ultra that I had played was Shadow or Mordor. Still playing most games on High but it's not a solid 60FPS though.

FX 8320 is $250nzd

If you're wanting to get some PC parts for a bit cheaper, you might consider looking through r/hardwareswap and r/buildapcproxy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1OQGAlVr28

Is this a good PC? I'm planning on spending around £750 on a PC anyway so seems to be a good bet, but I'm not great with PC's and for all I know Frankie has been paid to say good things about it.

I assume you are talking about the computer linked in the description.

https://gladiatorpc.co.uk/configure/config/65215

My problems with it are:

- DDR4 is still expensive, you could get a mobo that supports both and use DDR3 until DDR4 drops in price.

- No SSD. I'd get a small SSD for at least the OS.

- The r9 390 is just as much as the r9 390x. And both are more expensive than the gtx 970. (although I don't deal with £ ever so pricing could be very different for you)

You might just try to match the parts your self and might end up with a cheaper or better computer. Though its a pretty decent computer as is.

Is this a good PC? I'm planning on spending around £750 on a PC anyway so seems to be a good bet, but I'm not great with PC's and for all I know Frankie has been paid to say good things about it.

What PC components do you need? Windows, Mouse/Keyboard, Monitor, PC itself? 

I can whip something up :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

What PC components do you need? Windows, Mouse/Keyboard, Monitor, PC itself?

I can whip something up :)

Everything, other than a monitor.

Everything, other than a monitor.

Ok you need everything except a monitor! 

Calculating!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is this a good PC? I'm planning on spending around £750 on a PC anyway so seems to be a good bet, but I'm not great with PC's and for all I know Frankie has been paid to say good things about it

Also the PC you were looking at does not come with Windows! Even though its pre-built!

Is 750 British pounds your final budget?

My PC is starting to show it's age, was looking into getting a new GPU and possible a CPU, however, they no longer support my CPU socket type, 1155. Then I was looking at getting a new CPU but that would mean new everything, which I ain't about to do. So, now I'm looking at either getting a new GPU, possibly the 960 or some high tier R9 series. Then I was thinking about doing crossfire with my current GPU, not entirely sure which route would be best. Both ways end up costing around $200-250. 

My PC is starting to show it's age, was looking into getting a new GPU and possible a CPU, however, they no longer support my CPU socket type, 1155. Then I was looking at getting a new CPU but that would mean new everything, which I ain't about to do. So, now I'm looking at either getting a new GPU, possibly the 960 or some high tier R9 series. Then I was thinking about doing crossfire with my current GPU, not entirely sure which route would be best. Both ways end up costing around $200-250. 

What GPU do you have? 

You could always go used on ebay, but you know gambles of that.

You can get a 290 for ~220$ if you're lucky

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Vapor-X-R9-290-4gb-graphics-card-/351593845159?hash=item51dca051a7:g:hcAAAOSwNphWXdjt

Also the PC you were looking at does not come with Windows! Even though its pre-built!

Is 750 British pounds your final budget?

It doesn't? I thought it came with windows 10...and my max would probably be 800.

It doesn't? I thought it came with windows 10...and my max would probably be 800.

It doesn't come with one.  But you can get windows 7 free online if you know where to look and upgrade to 10.  I'd stick with 7 though.

My issues with that system are the power supply since you might have to upgrade if you want to SLI and no ssd.  Both would be cheap to change yourself.  It is a good price for that system though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsc99

Here you go buddy

Should be around $670-710 depending on where you purchase each piece.

Didn't pick a case because that's all personal preference.

You can save money by downgrading the GPU and CPU, however, if you plan on gaming, I'd stick with at least an i5 and the 960 is the best bang for your buck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cnsc99

Here you go buddy

Should be around $670-710 depending on where you purchase each piece.

Didn't pick a case because that's all personal preference.

You can save money by downgrading the GPU and CPU, however, if you plan on gaming, I'd stick with at least an i5 and the 960 is the best bang for your buck.

Solid build.  You could switch the cpu to the g3258.  Yes you lose two cores but games don't use four cores.  The G3258 anniversary can overclock like a boss though.  Could use the saving for a better cooler or use it with a mild overclock and upgrade your cooling later.  I've seen benchmarks with the g3258 hanging with i5's, and i7's in GAMING.  Anything else like rendering it gets demolished.  But a damn good CPU for $70.  IMO I'd stick with the 970 though because in SLI (if you upgrade later) it would beat a 980 and even give a Titan X a run for it's money in gaming.

Buuuuuuut Nvidia will be releasing their HBM cards next year so kind of an odd time to build/buy a PC with such a huge leap around the corner.

• Upvote (+1) 1