ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming PC Build Guide Thread [2015]

looks good m8.

I'm still not sure what to do about the os either, hopefully I can "find" a copy if not I'll have to buy a key

not condoning you do this, but if you were to happen to just end up with a non legitimate version of 7 via windows loader and downloading the ISO, MS will still give you Windows 10 for free.

Also can I get away with a 650w psu?

Not exactly sure what you are working with, but I have a 650w PSU.

Specs are as listed

i5 2500k

12GB RAM

2x 500GB SSD

1x 120GB SSD

r9 290 (GPU)

DP67GB (mobo)

4x fans (not sure size)

1x dvd drive

corsair rm650

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=17-139-054

I'm just looking to cut costs a little, I downsized the ssd to 120gb too

I'm still not sure what to do about the os either, hopefully I can "find" a copy if not I'll have to buy a key

You can get away with it! Not sure if you are still a student so you could get a student copy.

Would it be a good idea to upgrade from a 520w PSU for a GTX 970 and an i5-4690k?

No - Currently running i5 3570k and a 7950 on a 520w PSU.

Would it be a good idea to upgrade from a 520w PSU for a GTX 970 and an i5-4690k?

Totally depends. Just because your PSU states that its a 520w PSU that doesn't actually guarantee it will produce that much power. 520w technically should be enough for that build but the actual model and brand are important aspects of that decision. One of the biggest mistakes newer people make is trying to go cheap with the PSU where its actually one of the most important pieces of your build and it should always be high quality from a reputable brand like Seasonic.

tl;dr - If its a cheapo 520w it may not actually be enough as that is somewhat close to the bare minimmum of 500w required. Personally if it were a newer build/you feel like your current PSU is sketchy I'd recommend at least 550w if not 600w for a little more headroom in the future.

Totally depends. Just because your PSU states that its a 520w PSU that doesn't actually guarantee it will produce that much power. 520w technically should be enough for that build but the actual model and brand are important aspects of that decision. One of the biggest mistakes newer people make is trying to go cheap with the PSU where its actually one of the most important pieces of your build and it should always be high quality from a reputable brand like Seasonic.

tl;dr - If its a cheapo 520w it may not actually be enough as that is somewhat close to the bare minimmum of 500w required. Personally if it were a newer build/you feel like your current PSU is sketchy I'd recommend at least 550w if not 600w for a little more headroom in the future.

http://s6.postimg.org/9o6g1uhdt/image.jpg

This is what I have picked out right now. Anything else I already have from my last build.

I don't need an i7 but I think I'm going to get one anyways. But I'm having a hard time deciding which 970 I want between Asus and MSI or maybe even the Gigabyte one. I hear MSI performs slightly better, but the Asus one is a bit quieter and stays cooler, which is probably more import to me.

Also wasn't sure if I wanted an h50 for cooling or the 212 EVO. The h50 takes up a lot less space so I'll probably get that, along with the better cooling.

This is what I have picked out right now. Anything else I already have from my last build.

I don't need an i7 but I think I'm going to get one anyways. But I'm having a hard time deciding which 970 I want between Asus and MSI or maybe even the Gigabyte one. I hear MSI performs slightly better, but the Asus one is a bit quieter and stays cooler, which is probably more import to me.

Also wasn't sure if I wanted an h50 for cooling or the 212 EVO. The h50 takes up a lot less space so I'll probably get that, along with the better cooling.

This is just my personal opinion about building a computer.

1. You don't need an i7, very few people actually need an i7 which is more for graphic and video design, auto cad for things like architects or running a server. Get an i5 and save yourself some money; unless you don't care about the money.

2. You don't need water cooling, unless you live in places with extreme heat like Arizona. However, it doesn't hurt to have either. 212 EVO is a beast especially for $30.

3. Get a Seasonic PSU - anything else is not worth it. In terms of how big of a PSU, unless you plan to have a lot of peripherals, hard drives and dual GPU, 520W will do fine. Currently using i5, 7590 and 3 hard drives.

4. Everything else looks fine.

This is just my personal opinion about building a computer.

1. You don't need an i7, very few people actually need an i7 which is more for graphic and video design, auto cad for things like architects or running a server. Get an i5 and save yourself some money; unless you don't care about the money.

2. You don't need water cooling, unless you live in places with extreme heat like Arizona. However, it doesn't hurt to have either. 212 EVO is a beast especially for $30.

3. Get a Seasonic PSU - anything else is not worth it. In terms of how big of a PSU, unless you plan to have a lot of peripherals, hard drives and dual GPU, 520W will do fine. Currently using i5, 7590 and 3 hard drives.

4. Everything else looks fine.

1. I'm still running a i5 2500k (4 years old) and newer CPUs don't really fare much better than it as far as gaming goes.

2. No comment

3. I'm still rocking my OCZ from like 7 years ago and its still running strong haha

4. The last thing I would add is getting a 1TB HDD. 250GB will run out fast especially with AAA titles. It runs a little slower, but the storage space it allows is definitely worth it.

Little off topic, but being as this is the Go-To for PC threads;

Just got my first Disk Station NAS set up. Went with the Synology DS215j, and have it externally accessible as long as you have an internet connection. Loving it so far and can't wait to get more into other server hardware.

What's a good motherboard around $150 that doesn't have stupid LEDs on it? The one I'm looking at has orange on it and I plan on getting fans with blue LEDs.

What's a good motherboard around $150 that doesn't have stupid LEDs on it? The one I'm looking at has orange on it and I plan on getting fans with blue LEDs.

>LEDS

What are you looking for on your motherboard?

>LEDS

What are you looking for on your motherboard?

What I said. One that doesn't have LEDs on it for around $150 that uses intel chips and doesn't have a reputation of being faulty.

What I said. One that doesn't have LEDs on it for around $150 that uses intel chips and doesn't have a reputation of being faulty.

Well, that doesn't help clarify it much.

You could get a $50 board with that description.

Might help to know what you plan on doing with the computer, like what you're gonna be connecting to it, oh, and what socket type you're using aka what intel chip are you using?

Firstly, before you pull the trigger on any cooler, you want to make sure that the cooler will fit into your case. Especially with air coolers, their height can sometimes prevent the side panel from being able to close. While this usually isn't an issue in an ATX Mid Tower size case like most people have, it does become an issue as you get into smaller Micro ATX and Mini ITX cases.

Secondly, the price/performance ratio regarding AIO water coolers like the H50 vs. an equivalent air cooler (like the 212 EVO) doesn't justify the extra cost of the water cooler.

If you would like to have a beefier cooling solution than the 212 EVO, I'd suggest looking at Noctua air coolers. They can get a bit pricey, but they offer superb performance and incredibly low noise levels. I use an NH-U14S in my build, and I'll link it here: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

If you're really set on a water cooler, I'd suggest you go balls to the wall and get one that has at least a 240mm radiator. They do make AIO coolers w/ 360mm radiators, but since I don't know what case you're planning on using, I wouldn't know if a 360mm AIO would fit.

Lastly, as a point of comparison, I have the EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 version of the 970, and it runs quiet and strong for me. Have you considered the EVGA cards?

Firstly, before you pull the trigger on any cooler, you want to make sure that the cooler will fit into your case. Especially with air coolers, their height can sometimes prevent the side panel from being able to close. While this usually isn't an issue in an ATX Mid Tower size case like most people have, it does become an issue as you get into smaller Micro ATX and Mini ITX cases.

Secondly, the price/performance ratio regarding AIO water coolers like the H50 vs. an equivalent air cooler (like the 212 EVO) doesn't justify the extra cost of the water cooler.

If you would like to have a beefier cooling solution than the 212 EVO, I'd suggest looking at Noctua air coolers. They can get a bit pricey, but they offer superb performance and incredibly low noise levels. I use an NH-U14S in my build, and I'll link it here: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

If you're really set on a water cooler, I'd suggest you go balls to the wall and get one that has at least a 240mm radiator. They do make AIO coolers w/ 360mm radiators, but since I don't know what case you're planning on using, I wouldn't know if a 360mm AIO would fit.

Lastly, as a point of comparison, I have the EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 version of the 970, and it runs quiet and strong for me. Have you considered the EVGA cards?

I looked at that Noctua fan but I don't think it will fit in the Carbide 200r case that I already have. I noticed there is a smaller one so I might get that. Althought the thing I like about the h80i is that it takes up a lot less space than any decent air coolers.

I'm also considering getting an r9 390 over a gtx 970 now.

I looked at that Noctua fan but I don't think it will fit in the Carbide 200r case that I already have. I noticed there is a smaller one so I might get that. Althought the thing I like about the h80i is that it takes up a lot less space than any decent air coolers.

I'm also considering getting an r9 390 over a gtx 970 now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s

That is similar to the NH-U14S, except it's 20mm smaller (120mm fan vs. 140mm). According to PCPartPicker, it will fit in the 200R.

Yeah I could of swore I mentioned that in my post but I guess not.

I just wish it wasn't so ugly but it's not like I'll be looking at it.

Lots of smaller Noctua coolers lol.

But yeah, it may not be pretty, but it does perform.

Glad to see the PC thread is going strong sorry I couldn't help! Blame 343i for making me rage instead of shutting me up and making me take a seat because their Halo games are so much fun!

PC Master Race FTW!!!

What do I upgrade if I want to improve video processing/streaming/capturing (HD60+OBS). Right now my stream has issues going out of sync, laging/glitching really bad occasionally, and if I'm capturing at 1080/60 I get screen tearing  (about a half second worth ~3x per minute).

Also my PC display/video output still has trouble in the cold - pretty much if the weather is anything lower than 15Cel/55Fahren, I have to apply a fan heater to the front of it for a few minutes before being able to turn it on, so that's like 65% of the year for me.

Specs below:

ASUS M5A97 Evo
AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processors
GeForce GTX 570
8GB RAM
Antec Earthwatts 650W Power Supply Model: 00f
60G SSD - Windows 7 64-bit Operating System
250G HDD - Extras
1T HDD - Video Storage

*System Information Window*

System Manufacturer: To be filled by O.E.M
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB