ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming PC Build Guide Thread [2015]

I don't have what is considered a beast gaming PC to peoples standards but I would still like to assume is on par with a 360 and some next gen games. I use it to run games like LoL, counter Strike, Diablo and the occasional Guild wars/Skyrim.

My CPU is a Amd FX 8120

GFX: Radeon hd 7850 1gb

PSU:  700 Watt ATX No name brand psu (hear a lot of bad things about it but have no problem since 2013)

MOBO: MSI 760 GM-P23

I bought this pre-made off of newegg

I've been looking to make some upgrades because the stock cooler for my CPU is just insanely loud. As if it runs like a jet. I was looking into getting the CM Hyper Evo 212 but was wondering if anyone has any other good cheap recommendations for a heatsink to replace my stock one. I have not actually measured the space in my case for an aftermarket cooler but judging by the case i seem to have space. Any advice on how to measure it appropriately? Totally new to this stuff

My friend was telling me to go ahead and upgrade the PSU as well to be safe but I'm not sure what to settle on. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations to help me run things smoothly as well.

I'd say I have about $100 budget for the heatsink fan/psu upgrade. Everything else seems to be great for now or doesn't look like it needs immediate attention, but my main concern is shutting my noisy ass computer up while i game.

What case do yo have? If you find the model and look it up on Newegg it will tell you the clearance for a CPU cooler.

The height on the hyper 212 is 152.3mm so you have to measure from the cpu to the case side panel.

You can get the Hyper 212 for $35 or the Hyper T4 for $28.

Also un-named PSUs can be a bit scary. Luckily your system doesn't use a lot of power so the possibility of it blowing up is low, just don't go overclocking and putting R9 290xs in there haha. No name PSUs often lie or can't handle the powers loads, but who knows maybe you are lucky :D

A good PSU would be the SeaSonic M12II 620 for $85

What case do yo have? If you find the model and look it up on Newegg it will tell you the clearance for a CPU cooler.

The height on the hyper 212 is 152.3mm so you have to measure from the cpu to the case side panel.

You can get the Hyper 212 for $35 or the Hyper T4 for $28.

Also un-named PSUs can be a bit scary. Luckily your system doesn't use a lot of power so the possibility of it blowing up is low, just don't go overclocking and putting R9 290xs in there haha. No name PSUs often lie or can't handle the powers loads, but who knows maybe you are lucky :D

A good PSU would be the SeaSonic M12II 620 for $85

Yeah I think I should be good as far as clearance goes. Other people who bought this computer said they replaced the stock cooler with the Evo 212 so I should be okay.

Have any other recommendations for a PSU? I don't mind dropping $80 if needed but would like something cheaper if possible.

My buddy is offering to put it all in for free so I don't have to worry about labor costs which is nice.

Yeah I think I should be good as far as clearance goes. Other people who bought this computer said they replaced the stock cooler with the Evo 212 so I should be okay.

Have any other recommendations for a PSU? I don't mind dropping $80 if needed but would like something cheaper if possible.

My buddy is offering to put it all in for free so I don't have to worry about labor costs which is nice.

He is a $70 PSU, Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W 

You can buy the Be Quiet on Newegg,  also it has 500w brother for $60 if you are OK with that. It's very important that PSUs have the 80 Plus rating :) 

He is a $70 PSU, Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W 

You can buy the Be Quiet on Newegg,  also it has 500w brother for $60 if you are OK with that. It's very important that PSUs have the 80 Plus rating :)

Got it all installed man I love my PC now. So much more quiet! Kinda wish I spent 500 on my PC instead of an Xbox One haha.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there any kind of importance towards buying a soundcard when building a pc?  I would think its essential to outport sound but its mentioned as an expansion on PC Partpicker.   Is sound output handled by something else as well?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there any kind of importance towards buying a soundcard when building a pc?  I would think its essential to outport sound but its mentioned as an expansion on PC Partpicker.   Is sound output handled by something else as well?

Sound cards are not really important unless you need professional options in regards to sound ports.

Any decent motherboard will have  good built in sound, as well as an optical audio ports or you can even use a USB audio device. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just wanna say thanks.

After years of wanting to do this, I finally managed to finish my build the other day (slightly modified $1750) because this thread gave me the basic knowledge I needed to believe that I could actually do it. So again, thanks. Now not only can I play pretty much any game on Ultra, but I know quite a bit more about computers and feel I have a good understanding to continue to learn from.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I just wanna say thanks.

After years of wanting to do this, I finally managed to finish my build the other day (slightly modified $1750) because this thread gave me the basic knowledge I needed to believe that I could actually do it. So again, thanks. Now not only can I play pretty much any game on Ultra, but I know quite a bit more about computers and feel I have a good understanding to continue to learn from.

You are welcome! It's really heart warming :')

I hope you getting cool temperatures as well! 

Game on and enjoy your new gaming experience! Hopefully some I can make a content creation thread for twitch/youtube :D right after I get this rtmp server stuff down!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I plan own building my own PC, but my buddy's brother his selling his PC atm. I'm a rookie when it comes to PC parts/builds.

I got some of the specs from his PC tho if someone could help(please)

I'd still like to build my own PC, but i also thought i could just build off my friend's brothers PC build if i need to.

Case - Cooler Master HAF 932

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Fan Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024

Processor - Intel PentiumG3258([email protected])

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

RAM - G Skill ddr3 1600(2x4GB)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&cm_re=G_Skill_ddr3-_-20-231-314-_-Product

Video Card - NVIDIA Geforce GTX75Ti

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell

Motherboard - GA-Z97X-Gaming 3

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4966#ov

If i want to play current games and future games how does this hold up?

If i were to build my own i'd probably put the same amount of moeny for the parts if not more. But saving moeny doesn't hrut either and it seems like a decent PC and if i can build off that, it would make things more covnenient(?) i guess

I plan own building my own PC, but my buddy's brother his selling his PC atm. I'm a rookie when it comes to PC parts/builds.

I got some of the specs from his PC tho if someone could help(please)

I'd still like to build my own PC, but i also thought i could just build off my friend's brothers PC build if i need to.

Case - Cooler Master HAF 932

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Fan Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024

Processor - Intel PentiumG3258([email protected])

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117374

RAM - G Skill ddr3 1600(2x4GB)

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314&cm_re=G_Skill_ddr3-_-20-231-314-_-Product

Video Card - NVIDIA Geforce GTX75Ti

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell

Motherboard - GA-Z97X-Gaming 3

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4966#ov

If i want to play current games and future games how does this hold up?

If i were to build my own i'd probably put the same amount of moeny for the parts if not more. But saving moeny doesn't hrut either and it seems like a decent PC and if i can build off that, it would make things more covnenient(?) i guess

Can you give me a total budget?

The dual core has me concerned, since some devs are getting lazy and making games require quad cores.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you give me a total budget?

The dual core has me concerned, since some devs are getting lazy and making games require quad cores.

My budget can be from 500-1000, but this way would take longer. I' probably buy a piece or 2 at a time.

The PC is being sold for 600.

I should add that it has a 120gb(supposedly) SSD. Still gotta check the size, but it does have an SSD.

And a 1TB HDD.

Yeah i was looking at that RAM and i want to upgrade the RAM to DDR5

And thanks for the response

My budget can be from 500-1000, but this way would take long. I'll admit i'm not the greatest at saving money. So i'd probably buy a piece or 2 at a time.

The PC is being sold for 600.

I should add that it has a 120gb(supposedly) SSD. Still gotta check the size, but it does have an SSD.

And a 1TB HDD.

Yeah i was looking at that RAM and i want to upgrade the RAM to DDR5

And thanks for the response

Its always best to buy a PC ALL AT ONE TIME.

Also DDR5 is for X99 Systems only and it is super EXPENSIVE. You would have to upgrade the entire system to be X99. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Its always best to buy a PC ALL AT ONE TIME.

Also DDR5 is for X99 Systems only and it is super EXPENSIVE. You would have to upgrade the entire system to be X99.

Its always best to buy a PC ALL AT ONE TIME

Why's that?

How expensive? what is an X99 system? 

And so is DDR3 then good enough if going for DDR5 would make things a lot more expsive? 

A good comparison for me would be vs PS4 and XBox One

Its always best to buy a PC ALL AT ONE TIME

Why's that?

How expensive? what is an X99 system? 

And so is DDR3 then good enough if going for DDR5 would make things a lot more expsive? 

A good comparison for me would be vs PS4 and XBox One

Buying a PC at one time just makes things easier on yourself and it saves yourself from feeling like you missed out if something new comes out.

Trust me on this one.

X99 uses a different CPU and that CPU only supports DDR4. Also DDR5 is not being used yet, consoles "use" DDR5 but its just actually DDR4 I think.

Z97 is the CPU that will best for gaming since X99 cost like $500+ and dont do much in terms of gaming. Z97 supports DDR3 and there is LITTLE difference between DDR3 and DDR4 or console "DDR5" .

At minimum you need $2000 for an X99 system.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Buying a PC at one time just makes things easier on yourself and it saves yourself from feeling like you missed out if something new comes out.

Trust me on this one.

X99 uses a different CPU and that CPU only supports DDR4. Also DDR5 is not being used yet, consoles "use" DDR5 but its just actually DDR4 I think.

Z97 is the CPU that will best for gaming since X99 cost like $500+ and dont do much in terms of gaming. Z97 supports DDR3 and there is LITTLE difference between DDR3 and DDR4 or console "DDR5" .

At minimum you need $2000 for an X99 system.

So that motherboard i might buy is pretty good then? 

Will i need to upgrade the graphics card at all? 

Is it necessary to get anything beyond 8GB? Edit: Or is the 2x4gb fine? I'd rather have a better RAM

I'll definitely want to upgrade the precessor to a quad core

And is the 600 dollar price tag worth it? Considering it's used too

So that motherboard i might buy is pretty good then?

Will i need to upgrade the graphics card at all?

Is it necessary to get anything beyond 8GB? Edit: Or is the 2x4gb fine? I'd rather have a better RAM

I'll definitely want to upgrade the precessor to a quad core

And is the 600 dollar price tag worth it? Considering it's used too

Tomorrow I'll make up a good build for you that will be a beast gaming machine!

Ill sleep for now, but I will be available in the morning :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tomorrow I'll make up a good build for you that will be a beast gaming machine!

Ill sleep for now, but I will be available in the morning :D

Aight. Thanks a lot! Appreciate the help 

Edit: I'm excited! :D lol 

Aight. Thanks a lot! Appreciate the help 

Edit: I'm excited! :D lol 

Alright Sorry I took a while, my job gave me actual work to do lol.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($131.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($343.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1047.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 23:49 EDT-0400

This PC is $1050 and it should play your games high/ultra @ 1080p 60fps+

If that PC is too much try this one with a mid range GPU.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($131.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($204.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $908.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 23:53 EDT-0400

This one costs $910 and should play your games med/high at 1080p 60fps.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Alright Sorry I took a while, my job gave me actual work to do lol.

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($343.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1047.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 23:49 EDT-0400

This PC is $1050 and it should play your games high/ultra @ 1080p 60fps+

If that PC is too much try this one with a mid range GPU.

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($204.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $908.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 23:53 EDT-0400

This one costs $910 and should play your games med/high at 1080p 60fps.

I'll think i'll go with the 1050 build. With that said i'm wondering if my buddy's PC is still worth it? 

I'll have to upgrade the processor and graphics card, but how's the RAAM, motherboard? Will i be able to build off of it? Or is the motherboard limiting? if that's a thing? lol 

If i were to buy that computer what graphics card would i/could i use? What processor would  i/could i use? 

I'll think i'll go with the 1050 build. With that said i'm wondering if my buddy's PC is still worth it? 

I'll have to upgrade the processor and graphics card, but how's the RAAM, motherboard? Will i be able to build off of it? Or is the motherboard limiting? if that's a thing? lol 

If i were to buy that computer what graphics card would i/could i use? What processor would  i/could i use? 

The case and motherboard look good but you're paying for things you dont exactly need. 

I'd say stick to the 1050$ build :D the 970 and i5 should last you till the Xbox One dies. Also your monitor supports dual graphics cards :3

• Upvote (+1) 1

The case and motherboard look good but you're paying for things you dont exactly need. 

I'd say stick to the 1050$ build :D the 970 and i5 should last you till the Xbox One dies. Also your monitor supports dual graphics cards :3

Yeah i hear yuh. It's a little more convenient buying that PC tho. I'd be able to use it before i finish paying it off and there's some value to that lol

I like that the OS runs an SSD too. 

If i were to buy that that PC what graphics card and processor would i need? 

Yeah i hear yuh. It's a little more convenient buying that PC tho. I'd be able to use it before i finish paying it off and there's some value to that lol

I like that the OS runs an SSD too. 

If i were to buy that that PC what graphics card and processor would i need? 

What power supply does it have? 

What power supply does it have? 

I'll have to hook it up again and check the specs. I'll probably get to that tomorrow 'cause i'll be going out tonight

Again thanks a lot for all this help. It's awesome that you're helping people make the transition to the glorious master race and what not. 

I'll have to hook it up again and check the specs. I'll probably get to that tomorrow 'cause i'll be going out tonight

Again thanks a lot for all this help. It's awesome that you're helping people make the transition to the glorious master race and what not. 

Yeah its my pleasure! Always happy to help!

Gamers deserve the best gaming experience they can get :D 

• Upvote (+1) 1