ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming PC Build Guide Thread [2015]

I'm okay with going totally new but fuck I have never made a purchase on entertainment that big idk if I could convince myself to spend over a $1000 on it lol. I need to get a car in April and gotta start saving up now. I could do it a few months down the line but I'm honestly looking for something sooner but idk if I should just be patient and go with that or just get something started this month.

If you want to go for something this month here is something that is attainable. Around $1350 with taxes

Newegg Standard Shipping Service Important Shipping Information
IN STOCK
  •  
  • $74.00
  •  
IN STOCK
LIMIT 5
  •  
  • $324.99
  •  
IN STOCK
LIMIT 5
  •  
  • $64.99
  •  
IN STOCK
  • $79.99

IN STOCK
LIMIT 10
  • $204.99

IN STOCK
  • $34.99
  • $28.04
  •  
IN STOCK
LIMIT 3
  •  
  • $88.00
  •  
Subtotal: $865.00    
IN STOCK
LIMIT 5
  • $49.99
  •  
Subtotal: $49.99      
IN STOCK
  •  
  • $0.00
  •  
    Newegg Marketplace Direct Delivery Service Important Shipping Information
IN STOCK
  • $113.69
Subtotal: $113.69       Newegg Marketplace Direct Delivery Service Important Shipping Information
IN STOCK
  • $197.88
Subtotal: $197.88  

Grand Total: $1,343.94

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ZerueLX11" data-cid="709146" data-time="1457992077">ZerueLX11, on 14 Mar 2016 - 4:47 PM, said:<p><p>If you want to go for something this month here is something that is attainable. Around $1350 with taxes Newegg Standard Shipping Service Important Shipping Information 22-236-625-11.jpg WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003FZEX IN STOCK

• $74.00
14-127-832-24.jpg MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G IN STOCK LIMIT 5
  • $324.99
20-104-531-02.jpg HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model HX421C14FBK2/16 IN STOCK LIMIT 5
  • $64.99
13-130-913-02.jpg MSI H170M ECO LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard IN STOCK
  • $79.99
19-117-563-01.jpg Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 IN STOCK LIMIT 10
  • $204.99
35-103-099-08.jpg Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan IN STOCK
  • $34.99
  • $28.04
Fuck it I think I'm just gonna drop the money and go with this. What kind of performance can I expect out of this? Obviously I know it'll be a beast though. Also thanks for taking the time to pick it out. Smh quoting on mobile is awful. I'm not sure why it's turning out like this. I really need internet back but don't get it til Friday lol
  • Upvote (+1) 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ZerueLX11" data-cid="709146" data-time="1457992077">ZerueLX11, on 14 Mar 2016 - 4:47 PM, said:<p><p>If you want to go for something this month here is something that is attainable. Around $1350 with taxes Newegg Standard Shipping Service Important Shipping Information 22-236-625-11.jpg WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003FZEX IN STOCK

•  
  • $74.00
  •  
14-127-832-24.jpg MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G IN STOCK LIMIT 5
  •  
  • $324.99
  •  
20-104-531-02.jpg HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model HX421C14FBK2/16 IN STOCK LIMIT 5
  •  
  • $64.99
  •  
13-130-913-02.jpg MSI H170M ECO LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard IN STOCK
  • $79.99
19-117-563-01.jpg Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 IN STOCK LIMIT 10
  • $204.99
35-103-099-08.jpg Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan IN STOCK
  • $34.99
  • $28.04
  •  
Fuck it I think I'm just gonna drop the money and go with this. What kind of performance can I expect out of this? Obviously I know it'll be a beast though. Also thanks for taking the time to pick it out. Smh quoting on mobile is awful. I'm not sure why it's turning out like this. I really need internet back but don't get it til Friday lol

Glad you like it, Maybe you could reuse your old case, but get rid of the no name PSU.

The question is what kind of performance do you want?

I should have clarified that probably lol. Honestly all I'm looking for is something strictly for gaming/web browsing. When it comes to playing games I just want to be able to handle nearly any modern game at 1080p 60 fps. I also prefer something on par with console noise or even more quiet when it comes to noise. Other than that that's really it.

4K is nice but I'm not so sure if I want to invest into something like that at the moment yet. I just pretty much want to play whatever console game that comes out at 60 fps 1080p if possible and if I can't reach that mark atleast keep 1080p at 30 fps and more. I also play a lot of league so I'm assuming pretty much any halfway decent build will shoot me up above 60 fps easy.

Lol if the coalition announces that Gears 4 is being developed on PC I think I would put up my xbox that same day on eBay. I'm fucking done with consoles now after Halo.

What you're looking at is going to be fine. The only thing I could recommend, which I recommend to anyone is looking into the overclock series of GPU and CPU, it's the most expensive route but it's also the best bang for your buck.

Also, look into a SSD, they're getting pretty cheap these days and it's worth it!

WD Black is great, have one in my build right now.

970 or 960 are probably the best bang for your buck in terms of GPU currently.

Didn't even realize that was DDR4 ram until now; that'll be nice.

You know that's a micro ATX board?

The 6500 is a good CPU, but you're so close to paying for a K series you might want to do that. Also, keep it at an i5, don't waste your money on an i7.

Best cooler on the market still.

So I went to Frys to see if if I could pick up this build or something similar that way I could get it built this weekend and when I told the salesman about how all I really want to do is play in 1080p 60 fps his supervisor actually told me this wouldn't do it. He also said if I have never gone into PC gaming before that I have no idea how expensive that actually is.

Because of that I felt he was bullshitting me to get me to make some $2000 build there or something so I just went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought it all online. Hoping to get it all soon and get this bad boy started!

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hi guys. Bit of an odd questions here; do any of you have your PC sat directly on the carpet, on the floor?

Mine is, and I'm concerned it's not too great for the PC. Although there aren't cooling fans attached there, there are some vents on the underside of the case, which are obviously just blocked by the carpet. Hardly ideal.

So what could I do? A piece of plastic or wood sat between the PC and the carpet would create the required gap, or alternatively fixing some casters to the underside of the case could also work, and probably come in quite handy. However I've been unable to find many examples of this being done.

Hi guys. Bit of an odd questions here; do any of you have your PC sat directly on the carpet, on the floor?

Mine is, and I'm concerned it's not too great for the PC. Although there aren't cooling fans attached there, there are some vents on the underside of the case, which are obviously just blocked by the carpet. Hardly ideal.

So what could I do? A piece of plastic or wood sat between the PC and the carpet would create the required gap, or alternatively fixing some casters to the underside of the case could also work, and probably come in quite handy. However I've been unable to find many examples of this being done.

From what I've heard, putting consoles/pcs on carpet is bad because of static buildup and potential dust buildup as well. I remember before I had a big enough desk I used an old wooden board from idk where I got and sat my PC on top of it. I did this for 2 1/2 years with 0 problems it just looked tacky. I'd recommend just finding something to sit it on because I'm not sure how safe it is to have a computer running and heating up on carpet.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@

Roti hit pretty much. Each vent serves a purpose on the computer. for the best ventilation and cool temps keep the computer off the carpet. Plus, like Roti said, static electricity can play a role as well. It's mostly ventilation though.

You'll probably be fine though, it's more so one of those things where its better to have it but it's not going to be crucial or ruin your computer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks @@Roti and @@Synyster - gonna try and get hold of some castors from a hardware store and see what I can do  ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have my PC (which is in a Coolermaster HAF XB) sitting ontop of my mini fridge looool.

speaking of which, I actually need to get a new heatsync on my machine. its running one that came with my processor. EEK.

Eggs; no problem dude.

@@Goblin, I hate installing heatsinks, such a pain in the ass.

Heatsinks are probably the worst things about PC building right now. Hopefully it will get easier lol.

I'm surprised everything hasn't become a snap on, like putting ran into a DIM slot; you just push until it snaps in.

Here's a challenge for anyone who enjoys part picking.

My aunt has a 10 year old who excels in math, so, I advised her to get him into programming now, so, when he's my age he'll be set for a career.

She asked me to build him a computer, no budget yet, but keep it around $400-500 without peripherals but add the OS, and it needs to be something that is expandable down the road. He also wants to be able to play games.

Here's a challenge for anyone who enjoys part picking.

My aunt has a 10 year old who excels in math, so, I advised her to get him into programming now, so, when he's my age he'll be set for a career.

She asked me to build him a computer, no budget yet, but keep it around $400-500 without peripherals but add the OS, and it needs to be something that is expandable down the road. He also wants to be able to play games.

Newegg Standard Shipping Service Important Shipping Information
IN STOCK
  •  
  • $23.99
  •  
IN STOCK
  •  
  • $47.99
  •  
IN STOCK
LIMIT 5
  •  
  • $39.99
  •  
IN STOCK
  •  
  • $39.99
  •  
IN STOCK
LIMIT 5
  •  
  • $31.99
  •  
IN STOCK
  • $79.99

IN STOCK
  •  
  • $134.99
  •  
Subtotal: $398.93

Here is a good build.

The four cores should help with gaming and cause less stutter and that r7 370 is a really good card for 900p/1080p 60fps on medium settings. Its pretty much a PS4.

Programming wise it will be very good too. He can download C/C++ and Java compilers. It will serve as good first learning tool.

If the cost need to be lower get a r7 360($100) for 720p 60fps gaming, the 430w version of the power supply($35) and a athlon X4 845($68). This will make it a Xbox One equivalent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was hoping AMD wouldn't be the way to go, but I don't think I can get around paying $130 ish for an i3.

I was hoping AMD wouldn't be the way to go, but I don't think I can get around paying $130 ish for an i3.

Some games wont even play with an i3 lol. The Athlon has better luck with pulling off the 4 cores thing. The IPC on an athlon aint too bad. 

Some games wont even play with an i3 lol. The Athlon has better luck with pulling off the 4 cores thing. The IPC on an athlon aint too bad. 

Whelp, AMD is for budget building. Gotta re-up on  my AMD knowledge now.

Whelp, AMD is for budget building. Gotta re-up on  my AMD knowledge now.

I'll be building the exact same system for a poor friend later next week. 

I'll let you know how if does when i benchmark a few games.

I'll be building the exact same system for a poor friend later next week. 

I'll let you know how if does when i benchmark a few games.

Oh, word! That would be awesome. Anywhere you can see improvement too, or budget changing, let me know.

So I still havent got round to getting my PC yet. @@Synyster you linked me this last year: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cnsc99

Should I still go for it or is there better options now?

Im planning on doing YouTube at some point and I'll also wanna play a wide variety of games from racing sims to shooters.

My price range is £750-£800. Also how hard will it be to set the whole thing up, considering I'm someone who doesnt know a lot about PC's and has never buit my own before?

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I still havent got round to getting my PC yet. @@Synyster you linked me this last year: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cnsc99

Should I still go for it or is there better options now?

Im planning on doing YouTube at some point and I'll also wanna play a wide variety of games from racing sims to shooters.

My price range is £750-£800. Also how hard will it be to set the whole thing up, considering I'm someone who doesnt know a lot about PC's and has never buit my own before?

AMD just announced a GPU that comes out later this month.

The RX 480 is about Fury level performance for $199 (4GB or the 8GB for $229). I'd definitely wait for that assuming that it benchmarks what they claim it does.

If you can scrounge a little more money the GTX 1070 comes out later this month I believe and has Titan level performance for $380.

• Upvote (+1) 2