Loch

Josh Holmes Confirms 77% Voted Strongly In Favour Of Sprint

I said as soon as I knew about that survey that the results would favour sprint. It was advertised through Waypoint at a time when it's been 7 years since we've had a Halo game that appeals to non-sprint fans. After 7 years, the majority of people who wanted Halo to be Halo have moved on and will never know that poll even existed.

Naturally, most people posting on Waypoint frequently will be people still interested in Halo, and naturally, most people still interested in Halo are likely to be those who like where modern Halo has gone.

Those results don't account for the people who have simply moved on and would have been likely to come back to Halo if word had got around that it had genuinely gone back to being true to traditional Halo. Most of the people that a lack of sprint would have won back won't even be aware of or interested in that survey. That's 343's mistake. Well, it's their games that will suffer for their constant flow of idiotic decisions.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Again, Xbox Live activity has nothing to do with how good a Halo game compares to another Halo game. 

Why did they remove the pop in MCC? lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not quite sure about that, many causal players are quite vocal about wanting to play a more "modern" Halo.

Many people think Classic Halo gameplay is too old and boring for today's standards. Just look at CS:GO on console, it's very competitive and still "Classic", but it's not nearly as popular as Battlefield or CoD (on Consoles).

Comparing CS to CoD or BF on consoles just isn't fair when CS is such a highly competitive PC title with tons of support, where the console port is a rather bad port that doesn't have the updates like PC does. Same for TF2... CS is just a very hard game and I don't think console players are up for attempting to control bullet spread and stuff like that. CoD and BF provide a way better casual experience that can feel rewarding despite doing very little.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why did they remove the pop in MCC? lol.

Idk lol, probably because it was buggy as hell just like everything else in that pile of shit.

• Downvote (-1) 9

Idk lol, probably because it was buggy as hell just like everything else in that pile of shit.

Wrong answer. good one tho.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, I don't get this. Why didn't they just put the survey in game after you had completed like 50 games. After 50 games a message pops up and says "Hey, you've played a lot of the beta, please let us know what you think", then a new menu would appear for a survey that could be completed at any time throughout the beta.

On top of this, the survey would need to ask other questions such as:

Do you like sprint? Yes/No (Not Yes, maybe, kinda, etc)

Do you think the game would be better without sprint: Yes/No

What was your first Halo game?

When was the last time you played Halo 4?

What is your favourite Halo game?

They could even do things like cross reference the players that like sprint with the amount of hours they have logged in other Halo games, this way they would know if the players voting "yes" for sprint were the types of players to return the game after 3 months for CoD.

Seriously, so many better ways for 343 to do these surveys other than a stupid email.

They just want to make it look like they have support for their shitty design. You know how much of the halo population uses forums? LOL like 20 maybe 30% and majority of them are fucking children who collect the toys and shit.

So basically the people who won't be playing the game a month after launch want to break it for the people who will?

Urgh.

!THIS!

At the end of the day the issue is whether they can make a Halo game that's fun and retains its players, sprint or no sprint.  So far 343 has never accomplished this.  Even when porting proven games, because they broke them all in the process.  IMHO it's much more likely that players don't know what's good for them than it is that sprint works in Halo.  I've had some experience with a friend that started in H4 and loved sprint.  When H4 died and everyone went back to H3 I drug him with me and it was only after about 10,000 kills that he finally even understood why there was a debate - oh, it's not random sprinty chaos, I can keep track of where everyone is and actually use some strategy.  It's possible that 343 has put themselves into even more of box - their audience polls one way but their player retention numbers go the other.  That's an ugly position to be in as a business.   Incidentally, JH didn't seem that cocky in the latest bulletin.  I'll bet dimes to dollars that H5 was a shocking bomb to them and they're in full recovery mode.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I don't believe a single thing these guys say anymore. 

1th - They never could of imagined the game releasing in such a broken state, with so many bugs etc. 

2rd - Most games are played on dedicated servers. 

3st - There is no penalty to hip fire in H5. 

4rd - 11% of people do not want sprint. 

5st - *23% of people do not want sprint.

I'm sure there are more things said that are most certainly lies.. but these are off the top of my head.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't believe a single thing these guys say anymore. 

1th - They never could of imagined the game releasing in such a broken state, with so many bugs etc. 

2rd - Most games are played on dedicated servers. 

3st - There is no penalty to hip fire in H5. 

4rd - 11% of people do not want sprint. 

5st - *23% of people do not want sprint.

I'm sure there are more things said that are most certainly lies.. but these are off the top of my head.

Nice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Incidentally, JH didn't seem that cocky in the latest bulletin. I'll bet dimes to dollars that H5 was a shocking bomb to them and they're in full recovery mode.

Can you explain this part pls. I've read a bunch of his posts and he always comes across as a cocky arse-hole. Maybe I didn't read the post in question. Also, what you mean that H5 was a shocking bomb. In what way?

Sorry I'm out of the loop suddenly.

why are people even bothering anymore? when will the penny drop?

Halo is dead, we are the new sonic

There is absolutely NOTHING i repeat NOTHING which we can do which will shape halo 5's fate

WE have cowardly pro's refusing to argue with 343 on game mechanics

we have a developer who blindly ignores negative feedback such as forum polls from 3 separate communities and then declares there's is valid 

we have a developer with a god awful track record

we have people who hate halo 1,2 and 3 working on new iterations of halo

​we have a developer who doesn't care about making a competitive game and has openly admitted to this

we have a fragmented community who cannot agree on fucking anything - who the fuck is the 77% and where did they come from? 

we have a developer who cannot see the original trilogy's core competencies and build off them to develop a sustainable competitive advantage i.e a developer who hasn't a clue how to appease its fanbase

the game has lost all its original appeal and is only getting worse

we have a developer who has repeatedly reminded us (both the forum community and the competitive community) of how small statistically we are

we have a developer which cannot get matchmaking to work on a AAA game title release 4 months after launch ffs

we have a developer that says halo 4 was a success

a developer who cares about the lure and immersing the player more than the fucking gameplay mechanics which is what attracted us to halo in the first place

we have a developer that has no idea what made halo halo, what made it so popular

and worst of all we have KEVIN mother fucking FRANKLIN as our lead multiplayer designer 

Like what do we have? we have no positives, so why are we fucking here, why are we wasting our time, to me its just pointless, and for those who will inevitably argue we have to try well 343 clearly isn't listening so all your doing is wasting time and energy (which is what im presently doing ironically lol)

"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"

woooooooohooooooooooooo we have a toggle however i guarantee most of maps will be largely unplayable without it due to the increased scale of the maps not been negative just realistic - look at midship its fucking massive 

in summary i think it is time everyone move on, as i said halo is fucking dead and if you buy halo 5 and expect it to be different then you are delusional and apart of the problem, the only fucking possible way halo will improve is if halo 5 sales are awful and a new developer comes in which wont happen as despite people here claiming they wont buy it come release night they will fucking purchase the game and then come on here again and bitch about it thus the cycle will repeat 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

​we have a developer who doesn't care about making a competitive game and has openly admitted to this

That was Halo 4 343i, man. Now they think they're making the most uber-competitive shooter EVAR.

Which as far as I'm concerned is sheer comedic gold. Way funnier than that "accessibility" shit.

It's really sad that you're probably right. Last night I was attempting to play the MCC (got 2 games in half an hour, had to quit both due to lag), and I was sitting there thinking about all the shit 343i will need to do to make this game even remotely passable compared to the originals. I just don't have faith that they're at all capable.

Just like I don't think they're capable of understanding why Halo 5 is currently bad and how to fix it. They take criticism personally for fucking fuck's sake.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh look at all the supportive information you have provided to support your argument.  Kind of difficult to prove your point when the top FPS console games all include sprint.

Ur right, crazy me - no one here has made any valid points in regards to this argument (including myself)

I guess you have not been reading through the forums, where people stand on sprint, how TB, Waypoint, Reddit, all feel about it - and youre right, casuals wouldnt buy Halo with or without sprint regardless of the big "HALO" on the front of the box.  The casuals would be pissed if sprint was taken out, in fact - they might revolt and storm the 343 castle demanding their money back. 

I didnt think I would have to spell out the logic behind the post.  let me know if it still does not make sense. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not even about what the majority of players want. It's what is best for the game.

If a majority of people want what's best for the game, then so be it. But if the 51%'ers want additions to the game that make it play nothing like what made the game popular in the first place, then they need to find another game to play. Developers caving into peer pressure is what is really at fault here, because they do not know what they want to do with the game themselves. They claim to want to make a competitive Halo and even start their own league, then put in things that lessen the skill gap and make it easier to play. They add abilities that cater to non-Halo players.

I'd give the H5 devs more credit if they did away with BR's and DMR's altogether while buffing the pistol's damage to make it a sub 1 second kill time if you land all shots, but with the bullet magnetism, scoping to tighten bullet spread, inequalities in controller layouts (unless they are going to fix the auto re-scope if using the left trigger to zoom), ease of escape that has nothing to do with your aim and everything to do with the enemy thrustering + sprinting away, I just don't see it going very far.

A solid pistol that's difficult to use would allow for AR/pistol starts ala HCE, shut the anti-BR starters up as they would get their precious AR, and create a better vanilla experience for the game while making the vanilla settings better for comp play. Learn to use the pistol effectively and no one should be able to BS their way out of a death. 

I give myself a chub every time I think of what H5 could still be if only the devs had testicles. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

9uiaCyR.png

plot twist?

I figured that this was the case from the start. I probably played less than 5 hours of the H5 beta, and I did not receive the polls in my inbox. However, because I haven't seen this issue discussed on these forums, I assumed that most posters here did receive the surveys.  

The bottom line is that there are so many different ways for the poll results to be skewed/manipulated (unintentionally or intentionally) by 343i; a company that has a horrendous track record, that anyone who has a reason to doubt the validity of these results will do so. 

Regardless of what the results truly show, H5 feels like a run of the mill shooter to me, and I expect the playerbase to nose dive 2-3 months after it is released.

The funny thing is loch that by your logic selling alot of copies of a game is what 343 is trying to do and that is why sprint is in halo 5 to make the game easier for beginners. You do realize that Halo 4 won best new release at E3 that year and a bunch of other awards and then sold $224 million on day 1 for xbox 360 compared to CoD Black Ops II which sold $550million on day 1 but is multi platformed.

That means essentially halo 4 out sold CoD Black Ops II essentially since CoD had 4 gaming platforms released at the same time.

You can sell as many units as you want but if people are not still playing your game by the time your next game is rolling around or coming out there is no hype...halo 4 died in a month....CoD Black Ops II is still actively played still to this day. Do the math bro.

Your better off making sure that people still enjoy your game after you release otherwise you lose potential sales in the future...thats common sense and obiously you don't know business so you think otherwise.

Typical sprint idiot.

I thought Halo 4 was pretty bad the first day I played it. I figured it was just going to take some getting used to - whatever it was that was causing me to dislike it, but I never did. Same sort of thing happened with Reach. Again, Xbox Live activity has nothing to do with how good a Halo game compares to another Halo game. Halo is no longer the leading title, not because of sprint, but because COD is more fun for most people because it's easier to play as a beginner. Before COD sort of got it's footing, it was still behind Halo in terms of popularity, but it's ahead now and the only thing that will bring Halo back to the lime light is making it easier for new players. Again, this has nothing to do with how good the game is compared to previous Halo games. If COD 15 or whatever is better than Halo, that'll be why the population falls off.

Aside from that, to me, Halo 5 seemed to get the movement right. Halo Reach and Halo 4 seemed to "tack on" sprint to the gameplay, which made it feel really weird and bad IMO. Halo 5 has improved the movement capabilities so much, that sprint feels much more natural and balanced now. Sprint no longer feels like an armour ability. But that's just me.

That right there is some of the dumbest shit I have ever read. Halo was even or ahead of CoD with both MW and MW2. CoD had its footing with MW2 and sold massively. As soon as Halo Reach came out Halo stopped competing with CoD in terms of XBL activity. That is no coincidence. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

My question is...why didn't they just ask "Do you want sprint in Halo?" Yes or No......this would have been much easier.

Thats too logical for 343 man,

Why ask everyone, why ask the traditional halo players. nah fuck that we want our fanboy's responses, im impressed that 11% of people endured halo 5 beta for that long in its current state, but lets be honest had mcc been working properly we woulda had an even smallier %%

In conclusion 343 deliberately set out to skew the results, by (a) not informing people of the upcoming survey or its requirements and by (B) making the requirement a time commitment, because as we all know the people who stayed playing halo 4 till the bitter end are the TRUE HALO FANS

You speak as though Halo is the most popular title out there and people are leaving because of sprint. If people leave it's because there's a better game to play (likely COD for most people.) If Halo wants to succeed (and for you to not see a "77% population drop") - Halo needs to be a better mainstream title than COD.

"If people leave it's because there's a better game to play.". Exactly, Halo Reach and 4 we're garbage. H3 was doing just fine with CoD4 and WaW out there. It was still doing fine with MW2 out too. It was time for a new Halo. The new Halo was shit. So people left because the game was bad. It wasn't because CoD. 

With that said i do blame CoD for H4. Because they sell it every fuckin' year 343i thought they had to copy the CoD "everyone gets to play their way, everyone grinds everyone wins" formula. 

Halo doesn't need to be mainstream, it needs to be good. 

Halo is dead, we are the new sonic

The next smash bros is going to have the Chief??? 117 himself!!!

CONFIRMED  :weback:  :weback:  :weback: 

• Upvote (+1) 2