Loch

Josh Holmes Confirms 77% Voted Strongly In Favour Of Sprint

It's a shame because most of the 23% are the ones that actually play the game for years.  Like Halo 4, the 77% run off to the next shooter on the market.

Edit: I didn't realise this was said by the first poster haha.

Halo is never going to be "top dog" again and it doesn't matter. It just needs to healthily sustain itself. 343 is solely chasing money because if they wanted to retain players they wouldn't be interested in picking up "77%" that's going to drop the game after a week.

How "good" a halo game is directly correlates with its player retention. 

good game mechanics

functional infrastructure

steady stream of community content

tournaments and competitive scene to generate viewers and introduce new players to the game

developer communication and support 

if any one of these are missing or lacking, the remaining 23% leave. making halo "easier" isn't going to keep more people playing - not nearly as much as addressing these fundamentals are. 

343 fails to understand that by dumbing the game down and pushing aside the most dedicated players - competitive, casual, content-oriented or otherwise - the game loses longevity. When less people are playing the game, it's updated less, receives less community content, has less tournaments, less public interest. etc. 

I'd like to see a poll that asks "Would you buy a new Halo game if it didn't have Sprint?" 

I'll never say another word about the franchise if the "No" answer goes over 50%

• Upvote (+1) 5

We are the 11% that will still be playing and discussing Halo 5 3 months after launch

I hope there is less than 11% left and 343 finally sees that a game is not Halo "because it is named Halo"

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yep. I don't like sprint but I can't criticise 343 for making a decision that most people wanted.

Most people don't know what's best for the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well maybe you shouldn't be telling 343 to listen to feedback if you think that's the case. Maybe you should tell them to only listen to people with 'credible' opinions like you and probably abut 3 other people that you consider 'credible'.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I really like all the tweaks 343 made since the beta, I'd like to see how significant they are.  I just wish sprint was gone  :prayers:

• Downvote (-1) 1

I don't agree that saying you like sprinting means that you enjoy playing a game with sprint.  I mean...of course people like sprinting, but liking sprinting yourself and liking the impact of sprint on the game as a whole are two entirely different things.

To get a truly balanced sense of what people think of sprint there should have been a question along the lines of "Do you enjoy it when your opponents use sprint?"

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can the numbers change that drastically? The feedback survey wasn't accessible at all--hence why so little people voted. You had to be pretty knowledgeable to make your way there and give feedback... it's not like it was an in-game poll where true casuals could vote. So I really don't get how we go from 70% against on Waypoint of all sites to 77% in favor.

Probably because 19,000(ish) people took part in 343's poll and only 1-2,000 took part in Beyond's and /r/halo's. It seems completely and totally feasible that in the big picture 23% of 19,000 people (4,370 people) are not in favour of sprint. Now there's probably a lot of people who aren't in favour of sprint and didn't take the polls but I guess that's just unfortunate. I don't know how you guys can't see that the majority of Halo's population doesn't mind Sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well maybe you shouldn't be telling 343 to listen to feedback if you think that's the case. Maybe you should tell them to only listen to people with 'credible' opinions like you and probably abut 3 other people that you consider 'credible'.

Feedback is pretty overrated, but you're not far off the mark believe it or not. All games with competitive multiplayer should be designed and tweaked with the highest level of play in mind, because that's where the base mechanics and balance of a game are put to the test, and those apply at every skill level. Feedback from players at the very highest level would at least be a little more valuable for building a solid base game than feedback from your average player. There's a reason Blizzard doesn't patch Starcraft according to trends in Bronze League.

But like I said, feedback is overrated.

I don't know what 343's back-end stats for the H5 Beta look like, but if they really wanted to learn something about the balance of the game they should have been tracking a number of things behind the scenes. Stuff like average kills times, how often taking damage leads to death, the average time between taking damage and death in those scenarios, how often armor abilities are used in scenarios both leading and not leading to death, and sorting everything I just said by weapons and gametypes. And for all that stuff, they would have given far more weight to the results coming out of Pro and Semi-Pro rankings. Numbers like that actually help you tweak balance. A bunch of people telling you how they feel is not a great resource.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You speak as though Halo is the most popular title out there and people are leaving because of sprint. If people leave it's because there's a better game to play (likely COD for most people.) If Halo wants to succeed (and for you to not see a "77% population drop") - Halo needs to be a better mainstream title than COD.

are we getting shootinsammy'd?

Halo was the most popular title out there though, before sprint, armor abilities and other gimmicks took over. Granted, Halo 3 was losing some steam, but mostly because of horrible lag, netcoding, and ranking system with too many restrictions(could never find games in ranked Big Team despite healthy population).

If we got a well made Halo game, with no armor abilities or other gimmicks, great maps, great playlists, and great ranking system similar to Halo 2's, Halo would be on top again.

Millions of Halo players have quit Halo because of the armor abilities and other gimmicks. So no, they haven't left because Halo doesn't have enough of them lol.

I highly doubt they quit because of armour abilities and other gimmicks, and you have no way of proving that this is the case. I'd like to propose that millions quit Halo because Halo's fanbase is old. We're all growing up, getting jobs, having a life. That's because Halo isn't mainstream enough anymore, because it isn't the only console shooter out there anymore. And for people who are just getting into console shooters Call of Duty is a much better option because it's easier to play. As I've said before, Halo's success is not determined by what a core audience likes. It's success is determined by how much better or worse it is than the current/next Call of Duty. 343 knows that, and anything they do to please the core audience is just damage control so they can focus on the main goal of getting more people playing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

are we getting shootinsammy'd?

If you think that statement is trolling, you need to take 5 minutes and get a basic understanding of how business works.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Pretty sure the developers do, or else they wouldn't be selling copies of the game. Pissing off their core audience by inconveniencing them with sprint is a no-brainer if it means your game is going to be more popular than Call of Duty - and that's the goal.

If you think that statement is trolling, you need to take 5 minutes and get a basic understanding of how business works.

Businesses work in a lot of ways my friend so I would like to see your thoughts on how "business works" I have worked for a few Fortune 100 and 500 companies and not one is any similar

I honestly believe 343's poll.

I think most people that buy Halo 5 WOULD prefer it with sprint.

I also think every one of these people voting in favour of sprint will have moved on 3 months after the release of Halo 5.

Of course, 343 doesn't care because they've paid for the game, whether or not they play it doesn't make a difference to them.

Businesses work in a lot of ways my friend so I would like to see your thoughts on how "business works" I have worked for a few Fortune 100 and 500 companies and not one is any similar

Halo's population was dying before Reach came out. Call of Duty was scooping up players because there hadn't been a new Halo game in 3 years. Businesses work in different ways yes, but what seems to work in the entertainment industry - and specifically with video games -  is that it's all about hype. How many copies can you sell on launch day? People buy what's popular. If Halo is the number one title, everyone is talking about Halo. If you can get more people talking about Halo, the game will be popular. The game will only be popular if people enjoy it - new comers and veterans alike. But the primary focus isn't veterans, they've proven that they'll stick it out for better or worse. Getting new players playing - and continuing to play - is the primary focus of the developer. For Halo, that means changing the gameplay so that it's easier for new players. Whether that means making weapons easier to use, or adding sprint or various ways to evade, or adding a new gametype that more resembles Call of Duty style gameplay. If it's easier for a new player to play, and it's enjoyable, you can keep them playing for longer. Long time players might get pissed by the changes, but they represent? What? At most like, 10 percent of players? I'm talking about the type of people that come to these forums. So if 90% of your players find the game difficult to play, boring or not fast paced enough ("I am a super soldier, why can't I run??") - then the game will die. We saw this with Halo 4. Black Ops II was an amazing game in comparison, and Halo's number suffered severely because of it.

For a business like 343 to thrive, they need to appeal to the masses - not the whiney sub-section of players who will never be pleased with any changes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly believe 343's poll.

I think most people that buy Halo 5 WOULD prefer it with sprint.

I also think every one of these people voting in favour of sprint will have moved on 3 months after the release of Halo 5.

Of course, 343 doesn't care because they've paid for the game, whether or not they play it doesn't make a difference to them.

Moved on to what? If 343 is doing their job right, they'll enjoy Halo 5 more than any alternatives. That's the goal - to be a COD killer - not some 25 year old's wet dream of a competitive shooter.

I had about 6 mates who played the beta. By week 2 I was the only one who was still playing. All of them hated the direction of Halo and went back to other games. They were all anti sprint, but do you think any of them would have been part of this feedback team? No. This is why I believe the 11% is somewhat correct as most of the anti sprint guys just left without a sound. A lot of the guys who filled out the survey would have enjoyed the game to some degree.

Same with me. I have about 5 people that would have done the survey and voted sprint doesn't belong but I was the only one who even hopped on past day 3 or 4 and even then I could only stand a couple games at a time and it was forced at that. Couldn't actually enjoy the game.

Downloaded CSGO last night and I am horrible at it, but I had a lot of fun playing it. Will probably try and get into that, if nothing more than to play casually with settings that aren't full of BS that causes rage.

Edit: someone posted this on reddit http://strawpoll.me/3578694/

Pretty sure the developers do, or else they wouldn't be selling copies of the game. Pissing off their core audience by inconveniencing them with sprint is a no-brainer if it means your game is going to be more popular than Call of Duty - and that's the goal.

Their game isn't more popular than cod though. The xbl numbers will attest to that. So they aren't really achieving their goal.

Halo's population was dying before Reach came out. 

Show me a graph of that please. 

At the end of he day 2.7M ppl played the Halo Reach bet vs under 1 M in 5 years. Simple.

The numbers against sprint are so low because everyone who played the original trilogy has moved the fuck on with life. Do you think the millions of people who left when reach came out are going to bother with an obscure online survey five years later? No. They vote with their wallets and from what I'm seeing. No Sprint is winning by a landslide.