Loch

Josh Holmes Confirms 77% Voted Strongly In Favour Of Sprint

77% of people won't be playing H5 3 weeks after release.

You speak as though Halo is the most popular title out there and people are leaving because of sprint. If people leave it's because there's a better game to play (likely COD for most people.) If Halo wants to succeed (and for you to not see a "77% population drop") - Halo needs to be a better mainstream title than COD.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 38

This is a good case to make, but if I were actually against sprint I would have chosen that. I'm not against sprint, and I'm not for it - I simply don't care and I don't think it's worsening the game - at least from a Halo 5 gameplay standpoint. This poll also apparently allowed for more than one option for people who didn't want sprint, so you have to have been in favour of sprint in order to fall into the "yes" category.

• Downvote (-1) 24

I had about 6 mates who played the beta. By week 2 I was the only one who was still playing. All of them hated the direction of Halo and went back to other games. They were all anti sprint, but do you think any of them would have been part of this feedback team? No. This is why I believe the 11% is somewhat correct as most of the anti sprint guys just left without a sound. A lot of the guys who filled out the survey would have enjoyed the game to some degree.

• Upvote (+1) 5

This is a good case to make, but if I were actually against sprint I would have chosen that. I'm not against sprint, and I'm not for it - I simply don't care and I don't think it's worsening the game - at least from a Halo 5 gameplay standpoint. This poll also apparently allowed for more than one option for people who didn't want sprint, so you have to have been in favour of sprint in order to fall into the "yes" category.

Like I've stated before, there have been two specific in depth posts that detail some of the negative effects on sprint. I can find them if I need to. Are there any posts or are you able to come up with any positives that sprint adds to an arena game like Halo? I'm pretty much looking for something positive except for base sales.

You're entitled to your opinion but if your opinion is simply that you don't care, then congrats on being part of a group that is completely indifferent whether Halo is a good game or not.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's just a very simple refutation of the poll. 

If our polls are bunk, so is that survey. 

If the survey is valid, then who the hell was it surveying that our polls showed such radical differences? 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Like I've stated before, there have been two specific in depth posts that detail some of the negative effects on sprint. I can find them if I need to. Are there any posts or are you able to come up with any positives that sprint adds to an arena game like Halo? I'm pretty much looking for something positive except for base sales.

You're entitled to your opinion but if your opinion is simply that you don't care, then congrats on being part of a group that is completely indifferent whether Halo is a good game or not.

The difference is that I don't think sprint has a major effect in determining if Halo is a good game. Halo 5 played great. Didn't play like classic Halo - but it is still a great game. Sprint makes the game faster pace, adding more dimensions to the gameplay. That doesn't make it worse, it just makes Halo a more complicated game. Like I've said before, the addition of sprint probably isn't needed - but it has benefits for people who are new to the game. Having more options makes the game more exciting, and affords more opportunities for improvement.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 18

we tried sprint twice. (halo reach and Halo 4). Both saw drops in population. I don't expect any better with Halo 5. You can do as many polls as they want. Their is no bigger poll than xbox live actitivy. We saw the activity of halo reach and halo 4.

Will Halo 5 sell a lot? Yes. The marketing machine and Campaign alone would be enough to sell a good amount of halo 5.

The real question is how many people are going to be playing Halo 5 after 2 months? 5 months out? 1 year out?

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's just a very simple refutation of the poll. 

If our polls are bunk, so is that survey. 

If the survey is valid, then who the hell was it surveying that our polls showed such radical differences? 

I dunno, for people like me - and I think for a lot of people here, because I'm sure most of us play at a higher level - sprint is lame feature. If the survey asked strictly "yes or no?" I might have said "no, I don't want sprint" but the reality is that I don't actually mind sprint at all - I'm just not going to argue in favour of it. So you would have gotten the answer you were looking for from me, but it wouldn't be any more correct or true. At least with a multiple option survey, 343 has a much better understanding of where people stand with sprint - not just whether or not they like it. This is why almost no polls ask you "yes or no?" but rather have a range.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

we tried sprint twice. (halo reach and Halo 4). Both saw drops in population. I don't expect any better with Halo 5. You can do as many polls as they want. Their is no bigger poll than xbox live actitivy. We saw the activity of halo reach and halo 4.

Will Halo 5 sell a lot? Yes. The marketing machine and Campaign alone would be enough to sell a good amount of halo 5.

The real question is how many people are going to be playing Halo 5 after 2 months? 5 months out? 1 year out?

I thought Halo 4 was pretty bad the first day I played it. I figured it was just going to take some getting used to - whatever it was that was causing me to dislike it, but I never did. Same sort of thing happened with Reach. Again, Xbox Live activity has nothing to do with how good a Halo game compares to another Halo game. Halo is no longer the leading title, not because of sprint, but because COD is more fun for most people because it's easier to play as a beginner. Before COD sort of got it's footing, it was still behind Halo in terms of popularity, but it's ahead now and the only thing that will bring Halo back to the lime light is making it easier for new players. Again, this has nothing to do with how good the game is compared to previous Halo games. If COD 15 or whatever is better than Halo, that'll be why the population falls off.

Aside from that, to me, Halo 5 seemed to get the movement right. Halo Reach and Halo 4 seemed to "tack on" sprint to the gameplay, which made it feel really weird and bad IMO. Halo 5 has improved the movement capabilities so much, that sprint feels much more natural and balanced now. Sprint no longer feels like an armour ability. But that's just me.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 6

WHAT IN THE FUCK

How do 77% of people vote in favor of sprint when 3 other Halo communities had over 60% voting AGAINST IT!!!!! 

Sprint makes the game faster pace

Sprint actually slows down the pace of the game since it's a defensive option and has no viable offensive uses.

• Upvote (+1) 9

WHAT IN THE FUCK

How do 77% of people vote in favor of sprint when 3 other Halo communities had over 60% voting AGAINST IT!!!!! 

Selection Bias. A majority of people who partook in the feedback program were people who visited waypoint daily and actually signed up and did the survey. How many people here actually signed up and took the surveys? I did and I was among the 11% in favor of no sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We are the 11% that will still be playing and discussing Halo 5 3 months after launch

• Upvote (+1) 8

Beryl AU has a very good point if you have ever taken any basic statistic course you would know their is a high potential for this poll to have a very poor sampling strategy for the most important reason being it non response bias....for two causes one the level of involvement as I and many others (most likely) had never even heard of the poll as well as the fact that those who want sprint are more inclined to vote than those who have basically turned there heads away.....also I would like to inquire how the poll was ran could one person make multiple votes and even if not they could register multiple times most likely so this would allow for there to be some serious discrepancies.....to believe the base their decision on some arbitrary poll is beyond me and kind of comical in a sense

Would not be surprised if the whole 19k sign ups vs 10k "responses" discrepancy is purely down to ignoring responses they deemed unreliable such as anything that simply said an out right no to every stupid addition they have tried to make.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I thought Halo 4 was pretty bad the first day I played it. I figured it was just going to take some getting used to - whatever it was that was causing me to dislike it, but I never did. Same sort of thing happened with Reach. Again, Xbox Live activity has nothing to do with how good a Halo game compares to another Halo game. Halo is no longer the leading title, not because of sprint, but because COD is more fun for most people because it's easier to play as a beginner. Before COD sort of got it's footing, it was still behind Halo in terms of popularity, but it's ahead now and the only thing that will bring Halo back to the lime light is making it easier for new players. Again, this has nothing to do with how good the game is compared to previous Halo games. If COD 15 or whatever is better than Halo, that'll be why the population falls off.

Aside from that, to me, Halo 5 seemed to get the movement right. Halo Reach and Halo 4 seemed to "tack on" sprint to the gameplay, which made it feel really weird and bad IMO. Halo 5 has improved the movement capabilities so much, that sprint feels much more natural and balanced now. Sprint no longer feels like an armour ability. But that's just me.

tumblr_lgya08IoCp1qfweivo1_400.png

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The difference is that I don't think sprint has a major effect in determining if Halo is a good game. Halo 5 played great. Didn't play like classic Halo - but it is still a great game. Sprint makes the game faster pace, adding more dimensions to the gameplay. That doesn't make it worse, it just makes Halo a more complicated game. Like I've said before, the addition of sprint probably isn't needed - but it has benefits for people who are new to the game. Having more options makes the game more exciting, and affords more opportunities for improvement.

Pretty sure it's been proved that sprint doesn't speed up the game when maps are scaled around sprint thus making them bigger and take longer to travel through. Sprint also prevents shooting, which means longer engagements in battles, slowing down the pace of the game. I'd also like you to expand on how sprint adds more dimensions to the gameplay, unless you mean it grants you the option to always have a chance to escape. We can go into why that's not a good thing, but we probably have different opinions and don't need to.

The only thing I agree with is that it has benefits or players that are new. It allows players more freedom from being punished and that definitely provides a more enjoyable and exciting experience for new players. However, I do disagree with it somehow creates more opportunities for improvement. I could be wrong but I would assume that if these new players resorted to having to run from engagements more so than understand that they are in punishable situations, it would take them longer to improve in an arena game. It's possible that they do improve in the sense that they become good at running and only engaging in battles they have the advantage in.

It's OT but in a game I play, players can earn an ability like UBER in TF2 or Quad Damage in quake. In public matches players refuse to push and play the game because they're too afraid to die and lose their kill streaks, which earns them money for this ability (Juice) that grants quad damage output and quad damage resistance. These players are exploiting a feature in the game that allows them to get incredibly easy kills and run away incredibly easy. It's not a bad way to play in public matches, but these players will then transition into competitive matches and get completely shut down. They've never ever learned how to play the game without juice, and are completely ineffective without it. It causes a slow, passive playstyle and creates tons of bad habits.

Now it's a bit different with Halo but I think some of that will carry over. Players will resort on sprinting to safety instead of anticipating movements and preventing themselves from getting punished.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yep. I don't like sprint but I can't criticise 343 for making a decision that most people wanted. This is what people wanted 343 to do, listen to feedback.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

You speak as though Halo is the most popular title out there and people are leaving because of sprint. If people leave it's because there's a better game to play (likely COD for most people.) If Halo wants to succeed (and for you to not see a "77% population drop") - Halo needs to be a better mainstream title than COD.

Halo was the most popular title out there though, before sprint, armor abilities and other gimmicks took over. Granted, Halo 3 was losing some steam, but mostly because of horrible lag, netcoding, and ranking system with too many restrictions(could never find games in ranked Big Team despite healthy population).

If we got a well made Halo game, with no armor abilities or other gimmicks, great maps, great playlists, and great ranking system similar to Halo 2's, Halo would be on top again.

Millions of Halo players have quit Halo because of the armor abilities and other gimmicks. So no, they haven't left because Halo doesn't have enough of them lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yep. I don't like sprint but I can't criticise 343 for making a decision that most people wanted. This is what people wanted 343 to do, listen to feedback.

I hear that we are a minority, but I really don't believe the numbers were that low. If I'm wrong I apologize, but after years of polls that always show results against sprint, I am hesitant to believe that the numbers are that low. They can certainly be lower than I expected but that's too low. It wasn't just our community that was surveyed, but other communities conducted their own polls, and from the forgers to the casuals, there was a big agreement that sprint was not liked.

We want 343 to listen to feedback, but they state that they "hear" certain things, but offer different results from what they state. "Going back to the roots of an arena shooter" "MCC will be just like you remember". I bring these up because they don't have the best track record in their statements. I think some competitive players are biased, but one issue I have is 343 is more concerned with the feedback from people who have indifferent opinions and are likely to play the game for a very short period of time, rather than worrying about sustaining a high replay factor.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can the numbers change that drastically? The feedback survey wasn't accessible at all--hence why so little people voted. You had to be pretty knowledgeable to make your way there and give feedback... it's not like it was an in-game poll where true casuals could vote. So I really don't get how we go from 70% against on Waypoint of all sites to 77% in favor.

• Upvote (+1) 1