Sign in to follow this  
AkaDemiK

Why is Sprint good for Halo?

If you're a supporter of sprint in Halo or if you feel it doesn't break the game in any way, shape or form can you please explain why the mechanic is good or why it will work?

Thanks.

This is not a "sprint is bad for Halo" thread, please refrain from posting such things. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The idea of Sprint isn't bad for Halo -- it's the fact that you can't use your weapon while doing it. If it was basically an increase in player movement speed, then I'm all for it. Just take out the dumb animation. So in a way Sprint (modified) is good for Halo. I think we'd all want to see a mechanism that speeds up movement that is consistent (not thruster). 

What if, as you moved forward you gradually got faster up to a certain sprint-like speed, but were able to shoot the entire time?  Personally I feel like whatever appeal sprint has can be achieved purely through animations and screen effects, and there need be no changes to actual gameplay whatsoever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint isnt flawed its the loss of weapon like nosku said along with how it influences map design and makes them larger, that destroys the arena gameplay.

The animation is pointless based on "immersion" a good base movement speed and strafe speed is enough, everyone always knew the spartan was sprinting anyway noone complained they HAD to see it.

Like youre aware youre sprinting in CS because you can slow yourself down, theres no animation and your weapon doesnt go down.

What if you're not a supporter of sprint and think there's bad things about, but just want to post positive things anyway?

Screw it, I'll just post. Varying paces in games is fun, it can make moments feel more intense as you scramble to get away, escape sequences feel like more of a rush, and just overall, moving quicker is fun. Pretty much every platformer has some sort of "move faster" option, and I don't think anyone argues those games are worse for having those options. Now obviously platformers are not multiplayer, but if we apply sprint to the single player part of the game I don't think there's anything obviously wrong about sprint.

There's some issues with sprint in multiplayer, but that's not the point of this thread. I will point out some cool things with sprint. I think it's fun especially when combined with custom game types and forge maps. Some can be played solo, or with groups. But having sprint, and just extra movement options in general, can make for varying challenges and obstacles for the player to traverse. Specifically I'm thinking of things like Get to the Top and Indiana Jones in Halo Reach. Moving on to Halo 5 with things like ground pound, thruster, and sprint, there's the potential to make some interesting custom games that may not necessarily be great for the play to win, competitive group. But could be a ton of fun for the nights you just want to relax and screw around with friends.

In terms of playing multiplayer against other people, I don't think it's great. I do think there are issues with sprint, and even thruster pack. But if I had to argue for sprint, I would argue argue on behalf of the people who will only play for a week or two before putting the game away. Now I know that's not a popular group to argue for, but when an incredible amount of your revenue is coming from that group of people, I think their voice is important as well. Simply put, sprinting and barely escaping from battles is fun. You may have outgrown thrills like that after hours of grinding away at Halo, but the vast majority of players still think it's a rush.

The only real life comparison I can make is E3. They hold judges week every year before E3 where a bunch of journalists are invited to play E3 demos before the conventions starts. The reason they do this is because a lot of the older journalists are sick of the loud noise, bright lights, and booth babes E3 has to offer that "enhances" the experience. They just want to play the game, and go write about it with no stupid things in the way. I feel the "no sprint" Halo fans could relate. They just want a pure Halo experience with nothing in the way. But to a lot of players who buy a new game every week, that isn't as exciting as a game that has you moving at blistering speeds and have constant feedback.

This then comes down to whose opinion is more important. If 5 million people buy the game, is the opinion of the 100 000 who sticks around and frequents forums the most important, or is the opinion of the other 4.9 million people more important, depending who you ask you'll get different opinions on what the right answer is. But that's a different discussion to be had.

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is no solid argument for sprint. Its in there to make it "feel" faster and to appeal to non-Halo fans. Same reason they put ADS in. It doesn't help the gameplay whatsoever.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What if you're not a supporter of sprint and think there's bad things about, but just want to post positive things anyway?

Screw it, I'll just post. Varying paces in games is fun, it can make moments feel more intense as you scramble to get away, escape sequences feel like more of a rush, and just overall, moving quicker is fun. Pretty much every platformer has some sort of "move faster" option, and I don't think anyone argues those games are worse for having those options. Now obviously platformers are not multiplayer, but if we apply sprint to the single player part of the game I don't think there's anything obviously wrong about sprint.

There's some issues with sprint in multiplayer, but that's not the point of this thread. I will point out some cool things with sprint. I think it's fun especially when combined with custom game types and forge maps. Some can be played solo, or with groups. But having sprint, and just extra movement options in general, can make for varying challenges and obstacles for the player to traverse. Specifically I'm thinking of things like Get to the Top and Indiana Jones in Halo Reach. Moving on to Halo 5 with things like ground pound, thruster, and sprint, there's the potential to make some interesting custom games that may not necessarily be great for the play to win, competitive group. But could be a ton of fun for the nights you just want to relax and screw around with friends.

In terms of playing multiplayer against other people, I don't think it's great. I do think there are issues with sprint, and even thruster pack. But if I had to argue for sprint, I would argue argue on behalf of the people who will only play for a week or two before putting the game away. Now I know that's not a popular group to argue for, but when an incredible amount of your revenue is coming from that group of people, I think their voice is important as well. Simply put, sprinting and barely escaping from battles is fun. You may have outgrown thrills like that after hours of grinding away at Halo, but the vast majority of players still think it's a rush.

The only real life comparison I can make is E3. They hold judges week every year before E3 where a bunch of journalists are invited to play E3 demos before the conventions starts. The reason they do this is because a lot of the older journalists are sick of the loud noise, bright lights, and booth babes E3 has to offer that "enhances" the experience. They just want to play the game, and go write about it with no stupid things in the way. I feel the "no sprint" Halo fans could relate. They just want a pure Halo experience with nothing in the way. But to a lot of players who buy a new game every week, that isn't as exciting as a game that has you moving at blistering speeds and have constant feedback.

This then comes down to whose opinion is more important. If 5 million people buy the game, is the opinion of the 100 000 who sticks around and frequents forums the most important, or is the opinion of the other 4.9 million people more important, depending who you ask you'll get different opinions on what the right answer is. But that's a different discussion to be had.

I actually think this is the best answer you're gunna get OP. Well said Silo.

i think a lot of people here are saying they want a button that gives them something like 'speed boost' in H4. But of course last for only a few seconds

Why don't they just add donkeys to this fucking game.

Anyway, 343i hasn't thought of sprinting while keeping weapon up. They just can't do it. Their minds just can't do it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here is the problem. There are no logical or articulate reasons to have Sprint in Halo. All you need to do is use some brain power (those who have a brain anyway, and knows how bad Halo plays with Sprint), and you will realize it was an idiotic idea and should have never been thought of in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why wouldn't a supersoldier be able to to sprint?

Because that armor has to weigh a ton. I don't care how built or athletic you are, it's going to be extremely difficult to sprint in such a heavy suit.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

That's right. I just Waypointed all over your ass.

Why wouldn't a supersoldier be able to sprint AND shoot simultaneously?

Because that armor has to weigh a ton. I don't care how built or athletic you are, it's going to be extremely difficult to sprint in such a heavy suit.

Is this really happening...

38SNBNS.gif

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let's remove jumping as well. How the fuck can you jump that high in such a heavy suit????

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'll play devil's advocate.

Sprint encourages a different skillset than no-sprint gametypes.

With sprint, enemies are more "slippery," and can get away very easily. When two players get into a gunfight, the losing player (Player A) can simply turn tail and run away. This is the cause of much frustration to the other player (Player Z). The usual thought process of (Player Z) is "I challenged that player in a 1v1 gunfight, and I was winning -- purely based on better initial positioning, better shooting skill, better strafe, better nades, etc. Why can they just escape my superior skill with a simple press of a button?"

This is a valid opinion. (Player Z) was clearly more skilled and had the better positioning. However, this scenario doesn't take into consideration the team as a whole.

There is a way to look at this situation differently, in terms of teamwork rather than individual play. I think that is what bothers most people about the addition of sprint; it emphasizes/forces teamplay over individual skill. To outplay your opponent, you need to be more than individually skilled. You need flawless communication, teamwork, and flanks.

Getting kills is more difficult in sprint gametypes. You must completely trap and outplay an opponent to kill them. Mediocre (Player Z) is frustrated because he cannot finish (Player A) on his own, despite his superior skill. However, experienced (Player C) does not fret when (Player A) runs from him. He understands that his team was not in position to capitalize on (Player A)'s mistakes.

If (Player A) and (Player C) engaged in a 1v1, and no kills were exchanged, it is likely that neither team was in position to capitalize on the fight. The fight was meaningless; just two players trading shots. A skilled team in sprint gametypes will be constantly rotating with their teammates to catch enemy players out of position. 

I have played huge amount of Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5. My team in Halo 5 were all ranked Pro, and we consistently beat full teams of Pros during the beta. I am basing my argument on personal anecdotal evidence, not just wishful thinking. Amongst our team, a common understanding is "It's a team game: you should NEVER be in a 1v1 scenario." If a player runs away after an engagement, great. Your team did not capitalize on their error.

I know this is hugely different than the gameplay of previous halos, where 1v1 battles are common and decided the game. Please take into consideration this different skillset and style of beating the opponent.

Please note, no where in this article do I say "sprint is more skillful." I am just showing different skills required for sprint gameplay.

Arguments I already see coming:

"Players can still escape in no-sprint gametypes. It just takes more skill and map awareness. Players have to be constantly aware of escape routes instead of pressing a get-out-of-jail free card. With sprint, players just slow the game down by denying the enemy team a rightful kill."

This argument has merit. Escaping takes more skill in no-sprint gametypes. However, it also makes capitalizing on an enemy's bad position much, much easier. In halo 2, if a player is in bad positioning, it is very easy for the opposing team to collapse on them and get the kill. So easy that it is basically a formality. With sprint, capitalizing on bad positioning is something only the best teams excel at. Players in an undesirable location will only remain there for a VERY short amount of time, due to all of the movement options available to them. It takes the most coordinated teams to capitalize on that short window of vulnerability.

"Sprint slows the game down, just like armor lock. Bad players can just run in circles, delaying their death. They should be punished for their bad positioning."

I totally understand this argument. It is super annoying to see a player straight in the open, open fire on him, only to see him run away to cover. However, I think our opinions would be different if we looked at it a different way. Who says that player in the open should die? Our past experiences in halo games tell us "being in the open is a shitty idea and will get us killed, why did that ****** not die." In sprint gametypes, this isn't the case anymore. Open areas aren't deathtraps anymore. The only reason you think you should have gotten that kill, is because you would have gotten the kill in previous halo games. I'm just trying to say its a different game.

"This is stupid, all you are saying is that sprint is different. gtfo noob"

It is different... That's the point. Sprint is different and it emphasizes a different skillset. Experiences in past games don't relate. You are no longer guaranteed to win 1v1s with a better shot, and you are no longer guaranteed to kill a player with bad positioning. Do I think that it is better? Nope. But I also think that many veteran players dislike it because it is not what they are used to.

• Upvote (+1) 9

With that argument they will strike when you are able to lay on the ground in Halo 6 :weback:

You are no longer guaranteed to win 1v1s with a better shot, and you are no longer guaranteed to kill a player with bad positioning.

This is where competitive halo is diminished or dies. Thnx for trying to speak for the other side.

So thats how you get so many negs.... Ive always wondered how people unlock darth vader's lightsaber.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Neg rep because you don't know your lore.

• Upvote (+1) 4