throoper

Snapshots - Pro Player Interview Series

Holy shit 1 hour. Gonna have to wait till the weekend to watch this. Looking forward to episodes though. :bman:

Haha thats fair enough. Yea they are definitely going to be long, 45-90 mins on average would be my guess. I think it takes that long to really go over a player's career and get them to talk about things in an interesting and informative way. I want these to serve as a "first stop" when trying to learn more about a player or time period.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I look forward to the episodes that go over guys who've been around for a long time in the lower placing ranges.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Great watch man. Ninja gets a lot of flac here (for some reason?), but its great to hear him in depth, I like the way he goes about it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just a small piece of advice - provide time markers

that way when you post the video we know what is happening at different sections (seeing how it is such a long video)

i.e.

1:35 - intro

4:30 - Thoughts on first Halo

7:27 - Ninja first MLG event.

and so on and so forth. 

EDIT:  Just opened on youtube - saw that you had them.

I guess copy and paste them here into your thread.  Cheers! 

Just a small piece of advice - provide time markers

that way when you post the video we know what is happening at different sections (seeing how it is such a long video)

i.e.

1:35 - intro

4:30 - Thoughts on first Halo

7:27 - Ninja first MLG event.

and so on and so forth. 

EDIT:  Just opened on youtube - saw that you had them.

I guess copy and paste them here into your thread.  Cheers! 

I'll be sure to do that from now on! thanks for the suggestion hope you enjoy the episode! 

Great episode. You just earned a new subscriber.

Looking forward to future episodes. I hope you can interview Naded in the near future.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I seriously don't give a fuck about any pros. This type of stuff is for like 13 year olds

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 22

Welcome to the halo community boys and girls.

I mean good for you bro, but there is no need too come in to this thread like a total asshole and make a post like that. Just don't watch the video. Or just don't click the thread, you knew what this was by the thread title.

Jesus what is it with you people.

IDGAF

• Downvote (-1) 21

Yeah I seriously don't give a fuck about any pros. This type of stuff is for like 13 year olds

One thing I would like to know if you don't like pros, why have you come onto a site like team beyond?

Episode two with arkanum from noble black is out now! Big thanks to him for doing this he was a really well spoken and interesting guy to speak with. Best of luck to all of Noble Black moving forward and I hope you guys enjoy the episode! Sorry for some of the audio/video issues my OBS was not cooperating but it will be all better for next time! Go follow him and noble black to show them some love :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey throoper just wanted to let you know that the links for Arkanum's social media in the description of the video are Ninja's.

TY man technology was not my friend in this episode clearly even with youtube. All fixed now, good eye! Hope you enjoy the interview!

One thing I would like to know if you don't like pros, why have you come onto a site like team beyond?

...............................i like halo..............lol you know there's other things in competitive halo than just d riding pros

• Downvote (-1) 8

TY man technology was not my friend in this episode clearly even with youtube. All fixed now, good eye! Hope you enjoy the interview!

It was still a good interview/episode and I can't wait for the next one.  Try to get Ogre 2, Tsquared, or Snipedown for the next one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was still a good interview/episode and I can't wait for the next one.  Try to get Ogre 2, Tsquared, or Snipedown for the next one.

omgaawww pretty please interview more pros like omg i just love them so much 8======D

• Downvote (-1) 10

omgaawww pretty please interview more pros like omg i just love them so much 8======D

Ok since you keep posting in this thread i figure I'll articulate exactly why I'm doing this.

If you are a fan of the competitive side of halo, which I will assume you are, then hearing about events/circumstances/games from the perspective of those who participated in it helps bring more information to light. This is what is referred to as a "Primary Source" or someone who experienced an event first hand rather than a secondary or tertiary source that was created after the fact or by someone who wasn't actually present. The fact is pros are the people who have created the competitive history of the game and therefore their perspective on the history is an important piece of the puzzle.

If i were to simply look at a player's tournament history I may make incorrect assumptions about what transpired in those events. Did they leave the team or get kicked? What caused them to leave a team? How did they find success? Who or what helped them become great? How do they view the game? How do they perceive themselves and other top players? Did a player suffer from LAN jitters? These are questions that are almost impossible to answer from secondary sources such as tournament statistics, yet their answers can contribute a significant amount to the history of the game and make it more fascinating. Failing to include the perspectives of the people directly involved would leave a giant hole in the history of the game.

Halo is a game that has been played competitively for about a decade now - many of the people in the community today may not have been around in earlier periods and may wish they knew more about the past. Others may have taken breaks from the game during one period or another and have a hole in their knowledge of the scene or the game as a result. For these groups detailed interviews can help them gain insight into periods of time they couldn't directly experience themselves, and illuminate reasons certain pros command the respect or lack there of that they do within the community.  Why care about the history at all? Because its fascinating and gives people a chance to better understand the present.

People like to watch the highest level a game can be played at, the people who do that are pros. Listening and learning from people who are better is essential to self improvement in any capacity, halo is no different. Many people here enjoy playing halo, but I think everyone always wishes they were a little better than they currently are; pushing your own limits is in my experience, a core component of human nature. Hearing how a professional approaches the game may spark a new idea or way of thinking in a listener and get them to see things differently and improve because of it. An interview can also allow a player to explain their side of a story in situations they didn't get to express themselves fully, or allow them to clear up misconceptions about them.

Something I think many amateur players don't quite comprehend is the level of self discipline, control and dedication required to become a professional, this goes for anything not just halo. Listening to someone who has successfully walked down that path can be enlightening and solidify a person's desire to compete, or show them it may not be everything that they expected. 

I fully understand that not everyone will be attracted to these lengthy pieces, nor will someone necessarily be attracted to every interview that gets done. The goal is to help create an archive of perspectives that can be combined with each other and available statistics to offer a complete picture of the history of halo for anyone who does want it. For me the perspectives of the players provide a lens through which I can view statistical data and gain a better understanding of an event or given point in time. If that doesn't appeal to you that's fine, there are very few universal likes. I just ask that you try and understand there is more that can be gained from an interview with a pro player than "d riding" as you put it. If you want to learn about the game, professional play, successful mentalities, certain events, strategy, competitive history, halo in general and all time great moments for you to revisit on a boring day - interviews can provide all of that information. If none of that appeals to you then you are right not to watch them. If any of that does however skim through the time stamps in the youtube descriptions and see if you find a topic that appeals to you, you just might learn something. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

lol He's an idiot or troll, just ban him.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok since you keep posting in this thread i figure I'll articulate exactly why I'm doing this.

Not gonna read all that, you could've explained your reason in less than 5 sentences and still gotten the same point across. If you can't explain your reasoning in less than 5-7 sentences it's probably not a productive reason to begin with. 

My advice: If you're gonna interview pro's. Interview them about close games on stage or tournaments and have them talk about the strategies, put up a gameplay from each person and have them commentate over it and define they're reasoning for they're play style. Honestly i don't really give a fuck how these people grew up, or who got them into video games. That doesn't mean shit to me. Sorry but not sorry for being so blunt and direct i just don't beat around the bush.

• Downvote (-1) 4

TY sir I appreciate that. I already have another being planned, not with any of those three but still a very big name in the past and present that I can't wait to sit down with and i think the community will love to hear from. Will most likely be out some time next week after G4G. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not gonna read all that, you could've explained your reason in less than 5 sentences and still gotten the same point across. 

My advice: If you're gonna interview pro's. Interview them about close games on stage or tournaments and have them talk about the strategies, put up a gameplay from each person and have them commentate over it and define they're reasoning for they're play style. Honestly i don't really give a fuck how these people grew up, or who got them into video games. That doesn't mean shit to me. Sorry but not sorry for being so blunt and direct i just don't beat around the bush.

No i made that about as short as possible while saying everything I want to say. Your response tells me you didn't really watch the interviews or even scroll through the time stamps to see what else was discussed; getting a few warm up questions in to get the feel of how a person responds is important for figuring out how things will flow. I'd love to interview players at events, unfortunately travelling is difficult due to being a university student with limited finances. Fly me out to the next one and I'll ask all the strategy questions you want.  

• Upvote (+1) 1