Sign in to follow this  
Gobias

Free Level Design Webinar with Hardy LeBel

Time for a bump.

Hardy is continuing his Level Design Q&A in just a few days!

From his Blog - http://www.hardylebel.com/2015/02/453/

Question-Session-2-300x225.png

Round two of answering your questions on Halo: CE multiplayer level design and whatever else we can get to.

On Tuesday, February 10 at 6pm (PST) I will be holding a free 30 minute Google+ webinar to answer more of your questions.

I’ll try to get through the list that has already been submitted, but you’re welcome to post your questions in advance in the comments section below.

The good folks at Forge Hub have been very supportive of this process so I’ll also be collecting questions from their forums as well.

I hope you’ll join us!

• Upvote (+1) 3

If only he would apply for 343 Lead Level Designer (they're hiring for that now) - best chance at getting maps that are OK with sprint. Petition anyone?

If only he would apply for 343 Lead Level Designer (they're hiring for that now) - best chance at getting maps that are OK with sprint. Petition anyone?

Old school level design + mechanics that break old school level design = ???

Hardy's philosophy was to design maps that celebrated the game's mechanics.  But when every single new mechanic has a negative attribute....  I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic.  I would loathe that job, to design maps for Halo 5, because it's going to be so hard to make maps that play well.  I think it is better that a Forger who gained experienced dealing with all of the terrible mechanics in Halo 4 and Halo Reach try their hand at the job.  I've seen some that fit that description apply, and all the same I wish them good luck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do it. 

Dude couldn't handle Bungie bastardizing H2, I doubt he can handle h5 lol

Wow, some major bombs being dropped by Hardy right now. I always knew we weren't crazy, there was MP designers who agreed with the comp community afterall they just left when Bungie started watering down the series! Hardy and Howard should rejoin forces and make a new comp FPS, I would buy it.  :)

Wow, some major bombs being dropped by Hardy right now. I always knew we weren't crazy, there was MP designers who agreed with the comp community afterall they just left when Bungie started watering down the series! Hardy and Howard should rejoin forces and make a new comp FPS, I would buy it. :)

If those guys reunited to make a halo ce clone I'd be ecstatic.

I honestly would like to know his opinion about Halo 5.

I just wanna know how hard it would be to design a simplistic Halo CE-esk game on the pc with good matchmaking. Super simple game 2v2 style with ranks. League of Legends is big for a reason and the simplistic design, cosmetic options, ranking system, spectator mode, potato computers can run it, easy to jump into, simple matchmaking, etc etc etc. Just a simple CE-esk game with those concepts. Make money. Free game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just wanna know how hard it would be to design a simplistic Halo CE-esk game on the pc with good matchmaking. Super simple game 2v2 style with ranks. League of Legends is big for a reason and the simplistic design, cosmetic options, ranking system, spectator mode, potato computers can run it, easy to jump into, simple matchmaking, etc etc etc. Just a simple CE-esk game with those concepts. Make money. Free game.

Very interesting your question. So how can we ask him? I don't really know much about Google Hangouts.

Yo this guy is like anti Kevin Franklin. worked on the best SOCOMs and Halo 1. Kevin Franklin worked on the worst SOCOMs and Halo 4.

Hot damn.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Very interesting your question. So how can we ask him? I don't really know much about Google Hangouts.

Go to the google plus page for the stream, click on the squares in the top right of the stream part of the page, and click Q&A. From there you should be able to post questions.

Man.. His statement on "usability over beautiful map design" and "function over form" in the first session is so overlooked in map design in this day in age of games.

Halo 5 is a prime example, especially with all of its design nonsense like the blinding sun on one of its maps and the terrible color palate.

• Upvote (+1) 8

OK now that the stream's over, somebasic highlights for people who missed it and would like a recap (I missed the first couple minutes)

-Hardy worked on socom and Far Cry

-The Jet Pack was only in CE for a short period of time; it was prototyped and removed, and left Boarding Action in an unsatisfactory state.

-Rat Race was Hardy's first time modeling. He just made tunnels, had them go up and down, and made sure they connected. He didn't expect it to become one of the more popular competitive maps (and I say "more popular competitive maps" with respect to Chiron and company).

-Damnation was originally a segment of Campaign that got scrapped. Hardy and Dave Dunn (the maker of Damnation as a single-player map) adapted the campaign segment for multiplayer.

-Nading weapons: The devs didn't specifically think about people throwing nades to get weapons to themselves. Instead the devs thought about denying the other team weapons, and figured it could potentially be interesting for weapons to have physics.

Also: Another webinar next week! Yay for tuesday

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not sure why 343 won't work with him and the way he makes it sound they are not on friendly terms.

I think it might be because his game design philosophy is the complete opposite. 343 likes addition and he likes subtraction.

maybe we played different LoL's, but i tried that game after my friends invited me and it was just as confusing as any other of its kind. and all that goddamn clicking... 

when i play those kind of games, i prefer to create my own characters. i'm obviously not well versed on the intricacies of LoL, but it's because i couldn't invest myself in what was happening. it felt like the characters were changing every day and if i did find a favorite i wouldn't be able to play them again or something? the whole thing was foreign and the disconnect of playing from an isometric viewpoint wasn't very stimulating. given the other things you mentioned i suppose i could understand the appeal, but it's not the game i'd consider easy to jump into. i feel like it requires me to spend a significant amount of time in front of wikipedia or youtube to learn how to play in order to catch up with the rest of the fanbase. 

@@Gobias is there really lore in that game? How do they write and tie together meaningful stories for so many different characters? 

whatever. goes to show how broad gaming is. you'll mention that you're into games, but when you list the consoles you own the PC guy is just like ".....breh, play [random mmorpgmoba] instead"

nah, i need my high adrenaline 30 seconds of fun party games. 

maybe we played different LoL's, but i tried that game after my friends invited me and it was just as confusing as any other of its kind. and all that goddamn clicking... 

when i play those kind of games, i prefer to create my own characters. i'm obviously not well versed on the intricacies of LoL, but it's because i couldn't invest myself in what was happening. it felt like the characters were changing every day and if i did find a favorite i wouldn't be able to play them again or something? the whole thing was foreign and the disconnect of playing from an isometric viewpoint wasn't very stimulating. given the other things you mentioned i suppose i could understand the appeal, but it's not the game i'd consider easy to jump into. i feel like it requires me to spend a significant amount of time in front of wikipedia or youtube to learn how to play in order to catch up with the rest of the fanbase. 

@@Gobias is there really lore in that game? How do they write and tie together meaningful stories for so many different characters? 

whatever. goes to show how broad gaming is. you'll mention that you're into games, but when you list the consoles you own the PC guy is just like ".....breh, play [random mmorpgmoba] instead"

nah, i need my high adrenaline 30 seconds of fun party games. 

That's all because it's a moba game. I'm talking the style of it. The graphics are simplistic, the business model is great, the matchmaking system is great, the ranking is amazing, etc etc. I'm talking CE gameplay with these ideals intact. Hard to explain in text.

• Upvote (+1) 1