Sign in to follow this  
Gobias

Free Level Design Webinar with Hardy LeBel

Why are the maps you designed so bad?

lol.  I love the fact that he picked that as one of the questions he's going to answer.

Thank god he's planning to make recordings available.  I'm unfortunately not able to watch it live, but I'm really looking forward to watching this.

Hardy LeBel is the man.

lol. I love the fact that he picked that as one of the questions he's going to answer.

Thank god he's planning to make recordings available. I'm unfortunately not able to watch it live, but I'm really looking forward to watching this.

Hardy LeBel is the man.

He also made sure Prisoner wasn't total trash. I hope he has some insight on Damnation and Chill Out even though those weren't his, as those are two of the best and most interesting maps in the game.

Also it'd be chill if Beyond tweeted this or had an article on it. There's only so much a peasant like me can do to promote this kind of stuff, and frankly it is a huge deal; as I've said, this is the most open a Halo developer has ever been with us.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is something that I need to see, other forgers need to see, and even the non-forge halo community needs to see. I personally am looking forward to this

Wizard, Hang em and Prisoner are like my favorite maps in the entire series. I've been looking forward to this for some time now! Can't wait.

Good thread!

Also it'd be chill if Beyond tweeted this or had an article on it. There's only so much a peasant like me can do to promote this kind of stuff, and frankly it is a huge deal; as I've said, this is the most open a Halo developer has ever been with us.

@@Moa

@@Saucey

@@CyReN

• Upvote (+1) 1

If we credit him with designing "bad maps" can we also credit him with literally turning prisoner from a piece of shit that would never be played into a beautiful masterpiece just by changing the scaling of the entire map?

I can't wait to look into this. Hardy is the man!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Somewhat related note people in my class are talking about this Games in Society class that one of the lead developers of Age of Empires II used to teach at my school.

If we credit him with designing "bad maps" can we also credit him with literally turning prisoner from a piece of shit that would never be played into a beautiful masterpiece just by changing the scaling of the entire map?

I can't wait to look into this. Hardy is the man!

what was changed about prisoner?

He just said the scaling was. He made it taller.

I don't even consider his maps "bad". Just more fun for casual play. Chiron and BA aren't bad, just more random. They're not wildly unbalanced like Ascension.

Could have made Wizard and Derelict better though.

To be honest I can't remember where Hardy posted that tidbit. He upped the scale of the map vertically at least. Imagine OS area and the tunnels in general without being able to jump or having room to nade.

He just said the scaling was. He made it taller.

I don't even consider his maps "bad". Just more fun for casual play. Chiron and BA aren't bad, just more random. They're not wildly unbalanced like Ascension.

Could have made Wizard and Derelict better though.

Derelict would be a lot better with camo somewhere on the bottom of the map. Sure, you can nade it down, but it's just one of those things that could be optimized.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Derelict would be a lot better with camo somewhere on the bottom of the map. Sure, you can nade it down, but it's just one of those things that could be optimized.

I always thought Derlict would be better with camo on bottom directly below OS. And have rockets where camo is currently.

Pretty sure someone modded the map similar to this in the past.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Holy crap...Halo CE was supposed to have jetpacks.  :wutface:  

Also was very interesting to hear the response to "Do you think the verticality of CE maps set them apart"?

He says its a huge dispute between oldschool and new-school level designers, "Some new-school designers dont like forcing the player to look up and down." Holy crap, this is heresy to any oldschool FPS fan.