Knighty Knight

Halo 1 2v2 Tournament Discussion

Lmfao, I remember attempting to 2v2 the best in my town at one point back in like 03/04 and that was pure madness. (50-15?) Can't imagine trying to compete against someone who was actually good.

Was there a tournament going on last night? I caught Toxin/Doughboy 50-49 on damnation  :blink:

not sure if people know about this (Purest Form 2v2 tournament, ends today):

http://challonge.com/pfh412

The 7-game series last night between Toxin/Doughboy and Wubby/Solja was ridiculously close and entertaining (a couple 50-49 games in there, ridiculous plays etc.).  Apparently Wubby is an OG player (according to chat), not sure who ...

edit: just saw the post above me, lol

• Upvote (+1) 5

Anyone notice if they snuck a host improvement patch in and didn't talk about it? Host is feeling alot better then I remember it being after patch. Im also noticing other players doing better on it too.

Anyone notice if they snuck a host improvement patch in and didn't talk about it? Host is feeling alot better then I remember it being after patch. Im also noticing other players doing better on it too.

I still find it to be harder personally but maybe I just suck lmao

Hosting has indeed felt better for the last week or so. Granted I've only hosted against players living within 150 miles from me, all with decent connections, but it's as if I was missing a lot more against these same players just two weeks ago.

i like hosting more. I obviously don't get those ez 3s but I feel like it's a lot more consistent. I feel offhost I can still get bullshitted. There are times online where I feel like my opponent is just eating, but on host I know if I have the first two shots I'm definitely not going to get out pistoled.

As for map rotation, Chilly / Dammy / HH is nice for the best of 3 series. I think maps 2 and 4 should be switched for the best of 5's, however. I disagree with those saying that HH is not a good game 3 map. HH requires the most skill, knowledge, and teamwork out of any of the available maps. It is possible for a lesser team to get lucky on Chilly or Dammy but the best team usually wins on HH. To Holbry and your point on random spawns, I think that Prisoner beginning spawns have a greater influence on that one game than randoms do on HH, especially since randoming is a choice. 

I like HH but there is no question it can be really unfair. Any good team is going to random why would you want your teammate to spawn beside you when he could spawn across the map somewhere or at camo....I've had HH games where every time I random I get camo spawn or top blue making the game a joke easy to win. I've also had games where I get randomed in terrible places and the other team keeps getting camo and top blue spawns making the game really hard to win... you say worse teams can win on CO and dammy yet those are the two most fair maps there is... I mean dammy can be won from top green or bottom red there is not possibly a more fair map. Co is the only map where power ups are split up so well. I mean you can get camo sniper and potentially rival the rocket guy. There isn't really anything left to chance at all on chilly. Prisoner is fair too because you have almost complete control of every spawn you give your teammate. The points I made are not just my opinion they are things I have heard for years from majority of halo players. I realize HH is the easiest map to beat people who don't have a lot of experience and don't know how to play it. But when you got a group of 4 even players that all know how to play it, too many times it just comes down to who gets the better random spawns rather then who has better teamwork and is shooting the best.

I respectfully disagree. The only time random spawns really have an opportunity to flip a game completely on its side is when you get two dead and they spawn perfectly top blue or something. Aside from this, it is your job as a unit to be watching all spawns if you suspect your opponent is giving his teammate a random, or to prevent your opponent from giving his teammate a random. The amount of randoms on HH and the spawn system for non-randoms make it a thinking man's map. There are plenty of situations to not random your teammate but mostly you should, that's just the nature of the map. Dammy can also have pretty brutal randoms but you say there cannot possibly be a more fair map lol. Chilly is the most random of the 5 main maps. 

To me what makes a map "random" is the chances for the lesser team to win. The reason no one plays Wizard or Rat Race is that lesser players can inexplicably beat better players based on beginning spawns or dumb luck. In my opinion Pris and Dere are the most fair maps, but I like the 3 game series standing at Chilly, Dammy, HH.

Lammie will you please explain to me how lesser teams win at Dammy and co? You said that the randoms can be brutal in dammy but there is really only 3 spots people usually do random spawns from, which are rocket pit, back red, and waterfalls. If you are the team holding down top and you know a guy is spawning simply be ready to shoot the spawner if he randoms at top green health pack or top green platform. Any other spawn is not a direct threat (however there are tons of direct threat spawns in hangem including right behind you and there is no way to watch all of them). And as far as chilly goes I don't understand what makes that map random to you. Winning og CO was all about winning the fight for rockets and not dying with them. With camo being completely invisible from far away in MCC and with sniping being so much easier then it was in og, MCC downplays a lot of rocket's power but its still probably the best powerup of the 3. Anyway if you could please explain how lesser teams win on CO and Dammy because I just don't ever have that happening. The only map out of the 5 where I would get beat by teams worse then me was Dere, but that was largely due to the 30 second rocket. Since MCC has completely removed the rocket in Dere It really hasn't been an issue anymore.

Just out of curiosity are you an old school player that has been playing for 10+ years or are you relatively new to Halo 1?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well looks like we will get an update before the tournament, Bravo just anounced it should be out next week. It also looks like something about halo 1 is definately getting updated because he said there will be game-specific improvements for each title. Pretty excited about that because so far everytime they have updated halo 1 it has gotten a little bit better.

Well looks like we will get an update before the tournament, Bravo just anounced it should be out next week. It also looks like something about halo 1 is definately getting updated because he said there will be game-specific improvements for each title. Pretty excited about that because so far everytime they have updated halo 1 it has gotten a little bit better.

I wouldn't hold your breath, there are times before when they've said title-specific improvements and left one or two games unchanged and only updated Halo 3 or Halo 2 Anniversary.

i think he already said he is removing obj from halo ce

Please god yes.

time left to vote: 10s

wizard, longest, rat race

srsly tho i hope wizard/long/ratrace are always in the last slot.

co/priz/derelict/hh/damnation can have the same chance to appear in the 1st-3rd slots.

that or wiz/long/rat are on the same draw slot. meaning 1/6 chance to draw that slot, then you draw again for a 1/3 for any of them. 

No objective isn't happening but the weighting will be toyed with so Slayer is a lot more common.

Ive never gotten longest you sure its in the list? Wizard needs to go for sure but longest and ratrace can both be fun if everyone learns their spawns and how to play them. I have a lot of great memories of standing at os on longest and one pump shotgunning the guy getting camo through the little crack in the wall between them. I also still remember the nade to get both powerups through the wall.