Knighty Knight

Halo 1 2v2 Tournament Discussion

talking about ways to ruin the HCE online experience is nothing but ridiculous. Aren't we all wishing to play the best game in the best conditions?

You can be sure that I'll make clips of all the laggy motherf***** I'll encounter and make sure all my friend list reports them as cheaters.

talking about ways to ruin the HCE online experience is nothing but ridicukoust. Aren't we all wishing to play the best game in the best conditions?

You can be sure that I'll make clips of all the laggy motherf***** I'll encounter and make sure all my friend list reports Them as cheaters.

Unless it is talked about it is, sadly, possible that 343i would not notice. And the more it is talked about, it might be pushed up on the list of things to fix.

So, although it my have adverse consequences in the short term, I think talking about and investigating the advantage of bad connections is necessary.

(Note: I am not advocating actually using these "tricks" in real games. The adverse consequences in the short term that I refer to is mainly the possibility that lamers and cheater will read about this here and use it in e.g. matchmaking or tournaments.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

why dont we just exclude those laggers and skippers from the tourneys?

the ones that lag on a common basis are known, it shouldnt be that much of a deal to not let them play in tourneys

why dont we just exclude those laggers and skippers from the tourneys?

the ones that lag on a common basis are known, it shouldnt be that much of a deal to not let them play in tourneys

@@CyReN @@Saucey @@Clicked

don't allow mando to compete in the beyond h1 tourney lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

At least force known laggers to take part in a lag test with tournament organizers to prove that their connection is fixed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mando was skipping around hard when I played him but I mean, it's not like he's bad at the game right? why are you guys talking about him like he's a murderer?

Mando was skipping around hard when I played him but I mean, it's not like he's bad at the game right? why are you guys talking about him like he's a murderer?

Well it's not like he's good either.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because people like mando and bobby blitz have an unfair advantage of lagging through bullets that should hit them and it doesnt affect their ability to shoot at other people so they should not be allowed to compete in a tournament for money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still don't see how banning people from a tourney resolves the real issue.  The real issue is that when customs are played, someone has to host. In the games present state, the person hosing has an unfair disadvantage, one than is much worse than not being the host box on OG halo.

On top of that, if you have a good connection when playing matchmaking, you are at a disadvantage because you are easier to hit and it takes you more shots on average to kill everyone else.  You expect these players with good connections to just allow themselves to be at a disadvantage and not try to even things out?  People with good connections are sick of shooting players that are a bullet sponge.

If 343 isn't going to fix the issue, what should someone that has a great connection do such that the playing field even?   Downgrade their connection which serves more of a purpose than just playing video games?  I think not.  If the situation was reversed and those with fiber in the tourney had an distinct advantage, would you ban them also?

This is the result of trying to hold a tourney using a game that has broken mechanics where there isn't a level playing field.

Let's worry about 343 fixing the problem, and then we won't have to worry about who is doing what with their connection speed.  

The game is 15 years old.  Am I being told that present day software programmers with all the advantages and new technology at their disposal can't improve the online play mechanics of a game that developers of old were able to make function on 3rd party XBC software?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still don't see how banning people from a tourney resolves the real issue.  The real issue is that when customs are played, someone has to host. In the games present state, the person hosing has an unfair disadvantage, one than is much worse than not being the host box on OG halo.

On top of that, if you have a good connection when playing matchmaking, you are at a disadvantage because you are easier to hit and it takes you more shots on average to kill everyone else.  You expect these players with good connections to just allow themselves to be at a disadvantage and not try to even things out?  People with good connections are sick of shooting players that are a bullet sponge.

If 343 isn't going to fix the issue, what should someone that has a great connection do such that the playing field even?   Downgrade their connection which serves more of a purpose than just playing video games?  I think not.  If the situation was reversed and those with fiber in the tourney had an distinct advantage, would you ban them also?

This is the result of trying to hold a tourney using a game that has broken mechanics where there isn't a level playing field.

Let's worry about 343 fixing the problem, and then we won't have to worry about who is doing what with their connection speed.  

The game is 15 years old.  Am I being told that present day software programmers with all the advantages and new technology at their disposal can't improve the online play mechanics of a game that developers of old were able to make function on 3rd party XBC software?

XBC doesn't have anything to make H1's mechanics functional in an online environment with online infrastructure. The program simply acts like a router would in your house. Your xbox thinks it is LANing. XBC is not in any way comparable to XBL and making a game that was never intended to encounter latency or run through the internet do so and act like it is supposed to on LAN is not some simple task.

XBC is comparable to LANing with two xbox's connected by a 2000 mile long ethernet cable across the U.S. It is nothing like XBL.

So maybe I am wrong maybe wargod is looking for a way to lag and be harder to hit. That was not my intentions for posting what I tried and I think banning people like blitz and mando is a great idea until 343 does something to fix the situation. This is coming from an unbiased opinion I have not competed in an online tournament and just liked to watch them until mando made a joke out of them.

XBC doesn't have anything to make H1's mechanics functional in an online environment with online infrastructure. The program simply acts like a router would in your house. Your xbox thinks it is LANing. XBC is not in any way comparable to XBL and making a game that was never intended to encounter latency or run through the internet do so and act like it is supposed to on LAN is not some simple task.

XBC is comparable to LANing with two xbox's connected by a 2000 mile long ethernet cable across the U.S. It is nothing like XBL.

Even so, surely there is a way to make a 15 year old game playable online such that you are not at a disadvantage simply because you have a fast connection.  

So maybe I am wrong maybe wargod is looking for a way to lag and be harder to hit. That was not my intentions for posting what I tried and I think banning people like blitz and mando is a great idea until 343 does something to fix the situation. This is coming from an unbiased opinion I have not competed in an online tournament and just liked to watch them until mando made a joke out of them.

What I'm looking for is a way to be able to play 2v2 customs again such that people are not bullet sponges.  No one wants to host lol

I hooked up my xbox one on wireless (100mbps) instead of hard wired, played about 20 matchmaking games and there was a noticeable improvement in being able to hit people and not getting tsk'd all the time.   Have yet to try it in customs but I'm hoping it mimics matchmaking.  

What I'm looking for is a way to be able to play 2v2 customs again such that people are not bullet sponges.  No one wants to host lol

I hooked up my xbox one on wireless (100mbps) instead of hard wired, played about 20 matchmaking games and there was a noticeable improvement in being able to hit people and not getting tsk'd all the time.   Have yet to try it in customs but I'm hoping it mimics matchmaking.  

I'd be curious to see the before and after from your opponents perspective.  If going wireless just brings you in line with everyone else, then I really don't see the problem with removing the handicap you've been dealing with.  

pretty sure well see a on/off host balance with the april update, it has been requested a lot and therefore should have reached 343is attention

just make off-host shooting similar to host and we're good

But can they do it without having anit magnatism is the question.

Having a bad connection in online shooters is usually a huge advantage because you see people around corners before it registers on their screen you've even started rounding it. Not to mention the countless other things including teleporting and bullet sponging. If the host is good then the guy with shitty internet still can get his shots to register on everyone else, lol. It's very dumb but that's why the big money is played for LIVE on LAN.

Having a fast connection with low ping allows bullets to register on you closer to what it would be like on LAN. Thus giving you a better way of practicing how to stay alive and playing Halo the way it's supposed to be played.

Looks like your reticle was slightly left off his head haha. As he was moving to your right no less. I've done this a bunch of times too, sucks when he doesn't strafe back the other way and you barely miss every shot.

You wrecked us on that game regardless so you have nothing to complain about :angry:

Anyway they made Quake and UT work on 56k in the 90s.. even Halo PC worked on 56k (poorly, I know)... they should be able to make this shit work on 100 mbps though.

Hmmm... I wonder if this would work in game when trapped in pink with no snipe and other team is setup with one guy near camo and the other watching portal from green.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=BFB143A68EE28CEB&id=bfb143a68ee28ceb%21169&v=3

Nade point was cut off in the vid but instead of facing the wall like this guy does in the vid, actually watch the area and just hold x to grab the snipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1xWFwz_Tw

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hmmm... I wonder if this would work in game when trapped in pink with no snipe and other team is setup with one guy near camo and the other watching portal from green.

Nade point was cut off in the vid but instead of facing the wall like this guy does in the vid, actually watch the area and just hold x to grab the snipe.

Not from quite the same area but I can nade rockets out to port and camo down to rockets from plasma pistol. I rarely get to use those nade points in an effective way but there's been a few times that it saved my ass.

way too exposed for this trick to be useful. few other spots in red you can nade a snipe from that you are not so exposed.

New homing rocket. To pause rocket mid flight prior to detonation:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BFB143A68EE28CEB!172&authkey=!AFEKsl4G2pR5aaY&ithint=video%2cmp4

Seriously can we get this game fixed? Between these delayed rockets and taking 8 shots just to kill Dave Walsh without OS in the vid below.... come on now 343... let's pull it together.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BFB143A68EE28CEB!171&authkey=!AJpLVU2QIDXxHXE&ithint=video%2cmp4