Knighty Knight

Halo 1 2v2 Tournament Discussion

Just an idea...if someone trustworthy (with a good job who wouldn't "need" the money) like john or patch or something, made a paypal account and named it like beach tourney this thing could still happen. There would have to be guide lines and requirements for me to donate such as it would only go down if all 4 horseman could attend and semi finals and finals would have to be recorded in high quality. Anyway I have no plans on attending and im a cheapwad and have never donated to anything gaming wise, but I would drop 100 bucks in if it was done right. Get 10 people like me and your already at 1k prize money. I bet if it was done right teapot might would donate some too. Who else would be willing to donate for this?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bobby is awful. and most likely would not be allowed at BL4 lol. He is only somewhat decent at mcc because he lags around every game. Pretty sure he has never lanned before either. he was asking me some pretty dumb questions about lanning when I got back from legends.

I fucking love you. 

Teapot,

Just an idea, but you could use the funds for a tourney at the Beach LAN. I'll be there and can make sure its ran properly. MCC isn't fair at all because some people have better internet than others. Plus there will be multiple capture/streaming stations.

You'll have to find my post about my thoughts on using the money for the beach lan vs this tournament. You'll see I tried a decent amount to get things going and that I offered up at least $1000 for just a FFA portion for fun towards an idea that Legend kept saying would happen. I had said that maybe I can get some prize money out for the Beach Lan but there's no way I would drop this tournament to support the Beach Lan. I'd essentially cut off the entire MCC population which is where any minute form of "growth" could come from, even though I don't except a lot. The idea here is to provide a high enough incentive to draw a good number of players to a CE tournament, which is something I feel most would skip over because they aren't good enough or are unfamiliar to the game.

If anything was to happen I would absolutely need multiple people at the LAN who can ensure things to run smoothly and fairly. Believe me, I'd much rather watch a series of the Beach Lans than probably 10 entire online MCC tournaments.

edit: Also, @@Patch Stay I'd absolutely love it if you competed but completely understand if you don't. I realize that even if I put up like another $1,000 which I don't have, that the money isn't enough incentive to play a broken version of Halo CE for the guys who have been so dedicated to the original for the last decade. I'm hoping if anything maybe it attracts some of the other guys in the top 40 rankings to give it a shot. I know A LOT of the differences between the two versions, and can state them objectively but I just don't think the majority know that games you could win 50-40 on MCC could easily be 50-10 in your favor on OG. Might not be that extreme all the time but I'm sure its true.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The problem with an MCC tournament is that kids who do good in the tourney that have never LAN'd halo CE with actual good players will have a sense of false accomplishment.  

That is until these kids then go to an actual LAN, get destroyed, and blame halo CE for having too high of a skill curve compared to games that they are used to like Halo CEA and Halo 4.

As far as relevance is concerned, a simple analogy can be used with the current state of the NBA.

Here you've got a guy like LeBron James who out of the 5 times he's been to the finals, he's only come away with 2 rings.  That means every time he had a team good enough to play on the biggest stage, he only won 2/5 and he plays in a league (Halo MCC) that is softer with no defensive hand checking.  Is he relevant?  Sure.

Compared to Jordan who is 6/6 in all finals appearances who played in an era (halo CE OG) and is thought of as not being relevant. 

So at the end of the day, relevance is all in the eye of the beholder.  Some kid out there thinks LeBron is the greatest basketball player to every touch a ball, while those who actually know the game will tell you Jordan is GOAT.

So yes, I'm sure some kid like bobby blitz will place well in an MCC tourney, seem relevant, and some other kid that watches twitch streams of today will think that players like him are good, while the rest of us OG halo players sit back and laugh knowing that the Ogres were the best 2 man team and never lost a competitive game of 2v2 in halo CE, ever.   Maybe some day a competent group of individuals not named 343 that knows how to actually make games that are not broken will be able to take a 14 year old game and make it playable on today's advanced equipment and technology. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

OGRE TWINS

I still can remember hearing that name at a LAN for the first time back in like 2002/2003 and being like who are these mysterious brothers? I MUST see! I think there was a gameplay at the time of them 2v2ing some big names on XBC. The Ogres usernames were "Milkman" and "Sheepdog" or something like that. After seeing all the nade tricks and ways they spawn trapped the other team, I was hooked. I think one of the big things about them was they always played on host and everyone thought they would do terrible on LAN. Boy, were people wrong.

OGRE TWINS

I still can remember hearing that name at a LAN for the first time back in like 2002/2003 and being like who are these mysterious brothers? I MUST see! I think there was a gameplay at the time of them 2v2ing some big names on XBC. The Ogres usernames were "Milkman" and "Sheepdog" or something like that. After seeing all the nade tricks and ways they spawn trapped the other team, I was hooked. I think one of the big things about them was they always played on host and everyone thought they would do terrible on LAN. Boy, were people wrong.

walshy winning the ffa at AGP2(i think it was 2) was still the biggest halo shock of all time for me. someone actually predicted it beforehand and just got completely flamed by everyone.

OGRE TWINS

• Upvote (+1) 2

*childhood memories*

You, kind sir, are the man!!

walshy winning the ffa at AGP2(i think it was 2) was still the biggest halo shock of all time for me. someone actually predicted it beforehand and just got completely flamed by everyone.

Biggest shock  to me was TDT being dethroned. I couldn't imagine anyone taking them down at the time. After watching Darkman in the 2002 National Championship and Zyos in all his 1v1 Finals. It just didn't seem possible.

Dang, Ogre 1 was camo'd for like 6 minutes straight at the beginning of that game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dang, Ogre 1 was camo'd for like 6 minutes straight at the beginning of that game.

That's the beauty of OGH1. Camo trumps all. It's sad that OS is more important in MCC. Heck, OS is more important than the weak ass rockets. Grenades and sniper are the go-to online now! So sad. I love seeing how straight the pistol shoots even on XBC way back then... Gearbox really done goofed on the Halo PC engine.

You, kind sir, are the man!!

Biggest shock  to me was TDT being dethroned. I couldn't imagine anyone taking them down at the time. After watching Darkman in the 2002 National Championship and Zyos in all his 1v1 Finals. It just didn't seem possible.

Not surprising at all for me haha, Dug finally put together a FULL team. StK were disgusting at 50k2. I watched every game and helped time for Cyrax. I dont think they dropped a game.

Doubt anyone's kind enough to provide a shorthand list of the differences between og and mcc?

Here's a great list that was put together by @@insidi0us

http://www.halobugs.com

TLDR;

-A shit ton of tiny details that impact the game on a massive scale.

-Much weaker rocket launcher.

-Camo can easily be detected thanks to 1080p.

-Spawn with 2 grenades instead of 4.

-The pistol doesn't shoot nearly as straight.

-Much more auto-aim.

-Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol don't freeze your enemy.

-The convenient plug-and-play feeling of LAN'ing is gone. (you have to be connected to XBL)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey what happened to cyrax he was an online god and did great at 50k2 then just vanished....anyone know? Also what happend to ios omni and his 2v2 partner? They where supposedly online gods that vanished too.

Hey what happened to cyrax he was an online god and did great at 50k2 then just vanished....anyone know? Also what happend to ios omni and his 2v2 partner? They where supposedly online gods that vanished too.

Omni1 moved to a location without broadband. I lost contact with him. Lex wasn't a huge fan of halo. He played halo 2 shortly and then moved on. Plays a lot of different stuff now. One of the best "gamers" I've ever played anything with.

Not sure what happened to cyrax. Im friends with his brother on live but I haven't played with him on MCC yet. I don't have much free game time.

Am I playing a different game? Camo is insanely hard to see on mcc compared to og, even on the most shitty composite 27" bubble piece of shit tv.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thanks for info buzz.

I want to know what monitor you play on knighty I cant see camo at all unless they are pretty close

Am I playing a different game? Camo is insanely hard to see on mcc compared to og, even on the most shitty composite 27" bubble piece of shit tv.

You could be right. I just felt it was easier because its been 10 years since I've played OG and I've also improved a lot as a Halo player in general. So I went from NEVER being able to predict or detect camo in the early days to now being able to always know where he is. I could definitely be wrong about OG being harder to see though, we are after all playing on full screen. But from my personal memory, it was impossible quadscreening on those 19" blurry tubes hooked up through the coax port.

I want to know what monitor you play on knighty I cant see camo at all unless they are pretty close

It's really clear. Brand new UNSC Vanguard GAEMS case. 

Hey, where'd you find that picture of me? :ghost:

That dude looks like "what's up....you wanna run some CE right now fool!?"

lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Up close, camo's much easier to see on MCC. Far away, camo's completely impossible to see on MCC - you'd at least see a faint shadow moving on OG if you were zoomed in across HH.

• Upvote (+1) 2