Batchford

Projectile vs Hitscan Poll

Projectile vs Hitscan   

140 members have voted

1. 1. What type of registration do you like to see in Halo?

I think the question should be...does 343 have the talent to actually implement projectile hitscan similar to Halo CE/Halo 3?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the question should be...does 343 have the talent to actually implement projectile hitscan similar to Halo CE/Halo 3?

We don't want a random cone like in H3, we want a predictable cone like in CE. But to answer your question, no, I really don't think they do.

You do realize you've enabled multiple choices, right? I could pick both answers.

On topic, I'd say projectiles, similar to CE. However, it all depends on the bullet's travel speed, and a high one is essential, imo.

You do realize you've enabled multiple choices, right? I could pick both answers.

On topic, I'd say projectiles.similar to CE. Still, a high bullet travel speed is essential.

I will edit that now. First poll, my bad

Didn't we have a poll like this and people were in favor of Hitscan?

Welcome to the Halo community. 

Definitely hitscan if its a P2P game. Projectile has proven to be an over complication that taxes the P2P system too hard.

For dedicated servers id probably go with prohectile.

@@Batchford, stop being a potato, @@Headshot is literally saying the same thing that the first post that received masse upvotes said. /thread

shit I didn't even read the first post. let me just slide out of here unnoticed

Hitscan. Everyone remembers the snipe blood shot on main stage. Its inconsistent.

Leading your shots and putting the reticule takes the exact same skill just in a different way. When you lead your shots you put your reticule slightly infront. Predicting their strafing movement works the same way however. If on hitscan I think they are gonna move right I move my reticule right same with projectile except I put the reticule slightly ahead.

My last point is that even on a server there is LAG. Because of your particular distance away from the server. If someone where to play from New York on a Texas server the player would have to compensate and lead his/her shot further than if that player were playing on a northeast server.

This would apply to everyone though and if we there were a tournament being held the person who normally leads there shots as if they were on LAN (person closest to the server) would have an advantage all tournament while everyone else was trying to readjust their shot creating an unfair advantage.

You don't have that problem with hitscan. This could explain why Halo 2 and even Reach had more consistent tournament placement results.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After playing Destiny, even with its relatively low projectile speeds plays really well, same with BF, so especially for current gen id have to say projectile

Projectile 3sk > Hitscan 4sk > Projectile 4sk

So unless perfect kill time is significantly lowered, hitscan is better for the pace of the game. In an ideal world we would use projectile due to skill requirement. I find hitscan pretty boring due to its simplicity/ease of use

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like we are really blowing internet connection issues out of proportion. Really, who cant afford basic internet nowadays? Basic internet is good enough for most gaming I feel, and is only getting better. I have basic comcast internet and I rarely have issues. I feel if people really have THAT bad of internet, they probably are not having much fun whether its Hitscan or Projectile. 

If there was an option for "Don't care either way" I would have voted for it. As long as the primary weapon doesn't shoot in random way (Halo 3 BR or Reach's pre-TU DMR) and is relatively hard to use,  then I really don't mind. What if everyone spawned with a 4-Shot Hit-Scan Battle Rifle and a 3-Shot Projectile Pistol that has a much faster kill time but is much harder to use. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hitscan. Everyone remembers the snipe blood shot on main stage. Its inconsistent.

Leading your shots and putting the reticule takes the exact same skill just in a different way. When you lead your shots you put your reticule slightly infront. Predicting their strafing movement works the same way however. If on hitscan I think they are gonna move right I move my reticule right same with projectile except I put the reticule slightly ahead.

My last point is that even on a server there is LAG. Because of your particular distance away from the server. If someone where to play from New York on a Texas server the player would have to compensate and lead his/her shot further than if that player were playing on a northeast server.

This would apply to everyone though and if we there were a tournament being held the person who normally leads there shots as if they were on LAN (person closest to the server) would have an advantage all tournament while everyone else was trying to readjust their shot creating an unfair advantage.

You don't have that problem with hitscan. This could explain why Halo 2 and even Reach had more consistent tournament placement results.

I disagree, it doesn't take the same skill at all. You have to lead based on their distance from you and how fast they are moving. You have to judge that distance and movement speed on the fly, which only comes from experience, furthering the skill gap. You will never be able to perfectly tell how much you should lead based on every situation and every distance, there's always room for improvement.

I don't mind hitscan, but projectile takes more skill. Halo: CE had an update where it felt almost like hitscan and everyone was TSKing. They adjusted it slightly and now only the best of the best are consistently TSKing.

Halo 3 was inconsistent because the BR was shit. Halo 1 was pretty consistent, everyone knew who the best players were and the Ogres literally never lost 2v2. You may have had some inconsistencies after them but that was because Halo was brand new and people were learning new strats and bursting on the scene because the series was new. Hell they didn't even nail the pro/MLG settings until like 2 years after the game was released. They had AR starts in Chill Out and stuff.

I feel like we are really blowing internet connection issues out of proportion. Really, who cant afford basic internet nowadays? Basic internet is good enough for most gaming I feel, and is only getting better. I have basic comcast internet and I rarely have issues. I feel if people really have THAT bad of internet, they probably are not having much fun whether its Hitscan or Projectile. 

Some countries (like australia) have limited internet due to poor infastructure. Getting good, american-standard internet requires a lot more money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some countries (like australia) have limited internet due to poor infastructure. Getting good, american-standard internet requires a lot more money.

A lot of people in America have shitty internet too

Especially in rural areas

Ah yes i totally forgot about that. lol pretty shitty of me. 

Projectile feels like there is more developer bullshit between me and having fun shooting people. I look at all the games I've enjoyed playing, and the vast majority are hitscan.

Though it isn't a deal breaker either way.

Projectile when it works. Hitscan if the game isn't stable online.

I would have voted projectile, but it's not letting me vote for some reason.

Hitscan.

If Halo was LAN only, with semi-auto utility weapons instead of burst and bloodshots having been eliminated, I'd say projectiles. But I suffered through Halo 3 with mediocre internet and I really don't want to ever deal with that again. I'll happily sacrifice what it adds to the skill-gap for consistency.

Hitscan.

If Halo was LAN only, with semi-auto utility weapons instead of burst and bloodshots having been eliminated, I'd say projectiles. But I suffered through Halo 3 with mediocre internet and I really don't want to ever deal with that again. I'll happily sacrifice what it adds to the skill-gap for consistency.

Read OP. H3 had a random cone of spread. Have you played CE or Battlefield? Base your opinion off those games if you have played them :D

Read OP. H3 had a random cone of spread. Have you played CE or Battlefield? Base your opinion off those games if you have played them :D

I am aware of Halo 3's random spread. I was there for the huge uproar on the B.net forums over it.

I've played CE since the day it originally released in 2001. I've played BF since 1942. My opinion hasn't changed. Hitscan leads to a more consistent experience, which to me is a much more pleasant experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am aware of Halo 3's random spread. I was there for the huge uproar on the B.net forums over it.

I've played CE since the day it originally released in 2001. I've played BF since 1942. My opinion hasn't changed. Hitscan leads to a more consistent experience, which to me is a much more pleasant experience.

Ah okay, was just making sure!

I disagree, it doesn't take the same skill at all. You have to lead based on their distance from you and how fast they are moving. You have to judge that distance and movement speed on the fly, which only comes from experience, furthering the skill gap. You will never be able to perfectly tell how much you should lead based on every situation and every distance, there's always room for improvement.

I don't mind hitscan, but projectile takes more skill. Halo: CE had an update where it felt almost like hitscan and everyone was TSKing. They adjusted it slightly and now only the best of the best are consistently TSKing.

Halo 3 was inconsistent because the BR was shit. Halo 1 was pretty consistent, everyone knew who the best players were and the Ogres literally never lost 2v2. You may have had some inconsistencies after them but that was because Halo was brand new and people were learning new strats and bursting on the scene because the series was new. Hell they didn't even nail the pro/MLG settings until like 2 years after the game was released. They had AR starts in Chill Out and stuff.

I'll be brief in my responses because I hate posting on a phone. First off aiming skill does not differ because of the hitscan/projectile system.What is different is how you aim, lead or reticule on target. Secondly leading your shots in Halo 3 does not require much experience the difference between say plat and snipe tower and long hall and snipe tower would not change in how much you lead your opponent. Only on huge maps would you notice a difference in needing to lead.

I can't argue this because your arguments aren't based on facts but your own perceived experience. What I mean is I don't know what skill level was tsk before and tsk after the update consistently. For all I know the reason your perceived change is that everyone is aiming like the game was (hitscan ish) to now (with bullet time travel).

I won't argue why Halo 3 had inconsistent placings because to be honest there are number of variables.

I do have two other things to say about internet connection and comparing Halo to BF. First don't compare BF and Halo. BF is a game where at extreme distances not only do you have to lead but you also have to account for bullet drop. Its really not a good comparison because of how different the two games play. Lastly on the BF front, and anyone can test this, at extreme distances where its projectile based system is most noticeable if you sit in one spot and snipe and lead your shots perfectly then go a play the same map again sit at the same spot but different server you will notice you have to lead further or less depending on your latency.

In general many American based broadband speeds are sufficient to play video games online. What people suffer from is Latency the time it takes for data to travel from one machine to another. The latency issues from Dallas to New York are gonna have a bigger effect than Dallas to Dallas or at a competitive event which means the two machines are likely one router away and a few feet. Now in a projectile based system you would have to adjust your lead going from internet gaming to a live event while with hitscan if you want to hit you put your reticule on the opponent on the internet or on LAN.