Batchford

Projectile vs Hitscan Poll

Projectile vs Hitscan   

140 members have voted

1. 1. What type of registration do you like to see in Halo?

The utility weapon in every Halo inherently requires skill, the sniper throughout Halo is has been hit or miss.

You are saying the BR in all the Halo's it has been in (especially the hitscan variations in H2/H4) takes skill to use?

3783720-lol.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Leading, easily. No matter how low the magnetism, I would just need to put my reticle on the player, instead of predicting his movements.

Again, nobody said leading shots was hard, but does it contribute to CE's skill gap? Absolutely.

No way. Leading with high magnetism would take no where near as much skill as hitcan with low magnetism. You guys are citing shitty versions of hitscan as evidence.

Again can you cleanly four shot a strafing teammate in any hitscan halo? Fuck to the no. So maybe hitcan isn't why the mechanic is easy mode.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You are saying the BR in all the Halo's it has been in (especially the hitscan variations in H2/H4) takes skill to use?

I don't include H4 or Reach when I mention "Halo", strictly 1-3. Still never picked up H4.

But the exception would be H2's BR, it was complimented by button glitches and a shift from individual skill to teamwork.

No way. Leading with high magnetism would take no where near as much skill as hitcan with low magnetism. You guys are citing shitty versions of hitscan as evidence.

Again can you cleanly four shot a strafing teammate in any hitscan halo? Fuck to the no. So maybe hitcan isn't why the mechanic is easy mode.

Hitscan with low magnetism would take nowhere near as much skill as leading with low magnetism. Checkmate.

And yes I can. I can also cleanly 3 somebody in CE. The difference is, in H2 it is a lot easier to aim, unlike in CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I agree somewhat but I'm going to elaborate for everyone's sake.

Assume they have the same magnetism, and roughly the same "size of bullet".

Hitscan you just point and click, while with projectile you have to predict movement.

Projectiles are harder by default.

However, you can alter aim assist and other factors to make one easier or harder.  Using this logic an automatic weapon can be harder than a precision weapon if that precision weapon has insane magnetism.

Hitscan vs Projectile is just one of many factors in determining weapon skill.

A Hitscan rifle with low aim assist can definitely be more skillful than a projectile that has a giant bullet and heavy aim assist.

This doesn't make Hitscan inherently more skillful as a concept though.

• Upvote (+1) 5

We have access to dedicated server now. There's no real reason not to have projectiles. To use H1 MCC as an example, the game even works fine off-host p2p. Sure, you have to lead much more than players with a lower ping, but it's something that can be overcome.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree somewhat but I'm going to elaborate for everyone's sake.

Assume they have the same magnetism, and roughly the same "size of bullet".

Hitscan you just point and click, while with projectile you have to predict movement.

Projectiles are harder by default.

However, you can alter aim assist and other factors to make one easier or harder. Using this logic an automatic weapon can be harder than a precision weapon if that precision weapon has insane magnetism.

Hitscan vs Projectile is just one of many factors in determining weapon skill.

A Hitscan rifle with low aim assist can definitely be more skillful than a projectile that has a giant bullet and heavy aim assist.

This doesn't make Hitscan inherently more skillful as a concept though.

Exactly.

If all things are equal then projectile is more skillful.

However in the actual games we have,hitscan gets a bad name for other reasons. That's all I was saying. If done correctly hitscan could be way more skillful than the examples we have from H2 and H4. The mechanic is less important than the execution. If done correctly both mechanics could result in a high skill gap. Hitscan vs. Shot lead is the least important variable. Just compare CE to H3 and H2 to ZB Reach for proof.

Hitscan with low magnetism would take nowhere near as much skill as leading with low magnetism.

That wasn't my argument breeeehhhhhh :333

Checkers.

Nice logic there

Well here is the almighty batchford who mastered Halo CE in 2 weeks coming in with a condescending remark. Great job.

Projectiles only work well in the right environment and that is very rarely found in an online environment. It won't be found in the future of the halo series either so I don't see why this is a discussion, sprint and thruster would be ten times worse with projectiles instead of hitscan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well here is the almighty batchford who mastered Halo CE in 2 weeks coming in with a condescending remark. Great job.

Projectiles only work well in the right environment and that is very rarely found in an online environment. It won't be found in the future of the halo series either so I don't see why this is a discussion, sprint and thruster would be ten times worse with projectiles instead of hitscan.

I disagree with a lot of that post, but this right here is why I've held off on voting for projectiles.

I feel it would be pretty difficult (not in a good way) to try to lead someone who can rapidly thrust in one direction. 

Projectiles rely on fairly predictable movement, and Thruster throws that out the window.

Sprint and Thruster shouldn't be in the game, no matter if the hit type is projectile or hitscan.

You basically quoted that people are saying that Projectile would be BETTER if certain requirements are met, yet say Hitscan is better, I just didn't understand that at all. Sorry for being so blunt.

Sprint and Thruster shouldn't be in the game, no matter if the hit type is projectile or hitscan.

You basically quoted that people are saying that Projectile would be BETTER if certain requirements are met, yet say Hitscan is better, I just didn't understand that at all. Sorry for being so blunt.

They are in the game though and thats what matters. This is part of my point.

The argument for projectiles being better is based of unrealistic requirements such as flawless netcode, dedicated servers, single shot weapons and a game that won't have bullshit like Thruster and sprint within it. This is why I think hitscan is better as these requirements won't be met.

They are in the game though and thats what matters. This is part of my point.

The argument for projectiles being better is based of unrealistic requirements such as flawless netcode, dedicated servers, single shot weapons and a game that won't have bullshit like Thruster and sprint within it. This is why I think hitscan is better as these requirements won't be met.

They won't be met by 343 anyways. I would understand this argument if we still had dialup, but I play against US host constantly in CE yet I still lead and hit my shots. 

h3=second hardest game to shoot in. sooo...yup. . 

if they can get projectile to work in an online environment, then by all means. it's a good balance for long range combat, but i'd rather they prioritize shot registration over skill/weapon balance

I like hitscan a lot more but for it to work more competitively than projectile there will need to be extremey low aim assist and bullet magnetism.

Hitscan is better over all especially when people have shit internet. The only issue with hitscan is that console Devs PUT SO MUCH AIM ASSIST that any thumbless casual can pull of a few shots. 

Hitscan ONLY WORKS when there is little aim assist and bullet magnetism.

All the Counter Strike games use hitscan and Counter Strike has a WAY BIGGER skill gap than Halo.

Coming from someone who has crappy internet, I 100% prefer a projectile shot, like from Halo 3. People insisting that hitscan helps people with crappy internet speeds don't understand that it's nearly impossible to out BR anybody on H2A if they are decent and have the first shot or better connection. Projectile shooting allows for the skill gap to increase, therefore allowing you to our BR people, even if your internet is crappy, because you can lead your shots + strafe. I'm tired of getting 4 shotted by any kid with thumbs on H2A. The shit is a joke. Give me foreign host h3 any day.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Coming from someone who has crappy internet, I 100% prefer a projectile shot, like from Halo 3. People insisting that hitscan helps people with crappy internet speeds don't understand that it's nearly impossible to out BR anybody on H2A if they are decent and have the first shot or better connection. Projectile shooting allows for the skill gap to increase, therefore allowing you to our BR people, even if your internet is crappy, because you can lead your shots + strafe. I'm tired of getting 4 shotted by any kid with thumbs on H2A. The shit is a joke. Give me foreign host h3 any day.

H2A has a shit ton of Aim assist and magnetism anyways. If they would tone that shit down we would have a skillful game that plays good on the Internet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hitscan is better over all especially when people have shit internet. The only issue with hitscan is that console Devs PUT SO MUCH AIM ASSIST that any thumbless casual can pull of a few shots. 

Hitscan ONLY WORKS when there is little aim assist and bullet magnetism.

All the Counter Strike games use hitscan and Counter Strike has a WAY BIGGER skill gap than Halo.

And despite claims that Halo 5 has low auto aim, it seems to have a ton of bullet magnetism, so not much has changed. That's a brilliant ploy from 343, I'll give them that.

There is a threshold where hitscan can have a similar skill curve to projectile, given that both have different levels of aim assist to compensate, but I will argue that even with flawless strafing mechanics, the skill curve is far less interesting and rewarding with hitscan. That's not to say you couldn't have a great game without projectiles, though.

Also, you can't overlook the factor of recoil patterns in Counter Strike's aiming skill curve. In CS's case the difficulty lies in sustained aiming and tracking, which will never be the most important factors in a game like Halo with relatively slow movement and semi-auto weapons, unless 343's Assault Rifle master race vision comes to fruition. That's actually kind of scary to think about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Perfect connection or LAN, projectiles.

Anything else, hitscan.

This.

When I was first introduced to hitscan, it was explained to me that it was introduced only to level the playing field so that the server didn't have an advantage when lag was significant. Hitscan may make aiming easier, but it wasn't intended to do that. It was intended to compensate for lag. In that regard (assuming that this is accurate) the entire question is inconsequential, because hitscan isn't competing with projectile for ease of aim. Something like bullet magnetism clearly is, but hitscan is not.

If anyone has any better insight on how hitscan is adjudicated by the server I would like to know. Cites would be wonderful.

Also, as it was explained else where, hitscan can simulate inaccuracies (bloom/spread/etc.), so there is no reason it cannot simulate shot lead. But if you had such a simulation, it would still be hitscan and not projectile. It would literally be more fair of a shot lead experience.

Burst shots and Hitscan should never be in a halo game. The bullets on the primary weapon should be able to travel across the entire map, and there should be leading involved. Halo CE has the best shooting mechanics in any console shooter, so I am not sure why we would not want to copy that.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1