Batchford

Projectile vs Hitscan Poll

Projectile vs Hitscan   

140 members have voted

1. 1. What type of registration do you like to see in Halo?

I have this idea in my head for a lag compensated projectile system

Basically the idea is that when a shot is fired the projectile does the same backwards reconciliation for however many frames of lag you had, then the shot is teleported forward to the place the bullet is the attacker's screen

In the event that the enemy's hitbox crossed the shot in one of the previous frames then you rejigger the direction of the bullet just like you do now with Hitscan in the first place

In online play everyone's shots would appear to be hitscan in close range except your own

You would have to do some sort of client side correction for any shots that are going to collide with the local player because if you were say, strafing left, a bullet that appeared to pass you on the right would be a hit

I have no idea what the exact velocity of the CE pistol is though, so I'm not sure if it's bullet speed is fast enough that almost all shots would hit something before it reaches the server

What Halo 3 tried to do (and it didn't work) was lag compensate the BR shots by rotating the angle the bullet comes out so the direction you fired at the opponent on your screen is the same on the host, without resorting to teleporting the bullet forward like I want to

This had a lot of edge cases though that made it not work correctly where the player's position would change just enough in time on the host box to avoid the shot, so the apparent hit on the attacker's screen was really a miss

Alot of you posting have been saying hitscan improve online playablility, do you have some sort of source of this idea or could you write something up as to what makes you feel that way? 

Alot of you posting have been saying hitscan improve online playablility, do you have some sort of source of this idea or could you write something up as to what makes you feel that way? 

Common sense?

The techniques for netcode on hitscan weapons are well understood

You look backwards in time at where the opponent was when the player fired the shot and see if that hit

Projectile weapons like grenades are handled by doing nothing at all, it's the same logic as Quake where you don't throw it until the server says you did

What Cujjer asked. Also, I recall someone a while back mentioning that what we called hitscan in Halo 4 (and presumably Halo 5) was actually bullet projectiles set to infinite speed. Therefore the creation of a bullet object would be as reliable as what we though was the creation of a hit line. Most players' experience with projectile bullets has been with Halo 3, where it was impossible to tell if missed shots were from random spread, netcode issues, legitimately terrible connections, or actually missing because of leading incorrectly. Most people prefer the guarantee of functionable game over something that could possible be better, even if they don't understand what exactly made something go wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Common sense?

The techniques for netcode on hitscan weapons are well understood

You look backwards in time at where the opponent was when the player fired the shot and see if that hit

Projectile weapons like grenades are handled by doing nothing at all, it's the same logic as Quake where you don't throw it until the server says you did

That exact same rewind time technique can be applied to projectile weapons which is whats going on with MCC halo 1. I cant say I recall an instance in the game where a shot didnt register on an average connection. This isnt the early 2000s anymore most players connections have at least 3 up and 1 down. Most people arent stuck with faulty, jittery lines to their isps anymore.

People saying connections couldn't handle projectile, PLEASE play a Battlefield game.  Projectile has worked flawlessly in them since like 2005.  It could handle it.  We just can't have any more shitty P2P connections.  I think that is finally becoming a thing of the past.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rhetorical poll?

Didn't we have a poll like this and people were in favor of Hitscan?

Rinse and repeat until we get it...right..

I prefer projectile physics as long as the netcode can handle it.  Hitscan can also be good but the rest of the game's mechanics have to support the fact that players can damage anyone from anywhere at any time.

Sniper should be projectile, all other precision weapons need to be hitscan.

Can you explain why all other weapons should be hitscan? 

Can you explain why all other weapons should be hitscan? 

I know that I was one of the few in H3 that could actually lead their shot, probably because I play a lot of Space/Combat flying sims. Not everyone can lead their shot and everyone's connection isn't as perfect as it should be, hitscan on all precision weapons would level the playing field so to speak while keeping the sniper only in the hands of the elite. What noob is gonna chance the sniper when they're so used to hitscan?

Hitscan. All this reasoning that "projectiles would be awesome if A, B and C" is reason enough to know that hitscan is better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Leading shots really isn't that hard. Its that leading doesn't have the luxuries of aim assist. If hitcan applied lower levels of bullet magnetism and aim assist it would be just as skillful IMO. Especially if we had a decent strafe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know that I was one of the few in H3 that could actually lead their shot, probably because I play a lot of Space/Combat flying sims. Not everyone can lead their shot and everyone's connection isn't as perfect as it should be, hitscan on all precision weapons would level the playing field so to speak while keeping the sniper only in the hands of the elite. What noob is gonna chance the sniper when they're so used to hitscan?

So you would make the Sniper skillful, but not the utility weapon? Let's just agree to disagree

Hitscan. All this reasoning that "projectiles would be awesome if A, B and C" is reason enough to know that hitscan is better.

Nice logic there

• Downvote (-1) 2

is better for online connections? or better at creating a bit of a shooting skill gap?

Leading shots really isn't that hard. Its that leading doesn't have the luxuries of aim assist. If hitcan applied lower levels of bullet magnetism and aim assist it would be just as skillful IMO. Especially if we had a decent strafe.

Nobody said that leading shots is the hardest thing to do. What we are saying is that Projectiles contribute to the skill gap, while Hitscan does not.

Leading shots really isn't that hard

unless you have H1 leading where strafing affects how much you need to lead. That idea is more original than any mechanic that's been added to Halo so far.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nobody said that leading shots is the hardest thing to do. What we are saying is that Projectiles contribute to the skill gap, while Hitscan does not.

It depends.If you cranked the magnetism up on shot lead, and then had a hitcan with low magnetism which one would take more skill? (Great example is try shooting your teammates in any hitscan halo game. Its hard as crap. Why?)

Projectile is just less intuitive, but after the initial adjustment how is it any better than hitscan, leaving all other variables identical? Again leading shots is not hard.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It depends.If you cranked the magnetism up on shot lead, and then had a hitcan with low magnetism which one would take more skill?

Projectile is just less intuitive, but after the initial adjustment how is it any better than hitscan, leaving all other variables identical? Again leading shots is not hard.

Just curious are you able to notice a difference in leading in CE as opposed to other games with projectile based weapons?

It depends.If you cranked the magnetism up on shot lead, and then had a hitcan with low magnetism which one would take more skill? (Great example is try shooting your teammates in any hitscan halo game. Its hard as crap. Why?)

Leading, easily. No matter how low the magnetism, I would just need to put my reticle on the player, instead of predicting his movements.

Again, nobody said leading shots was hard, but does it contribute to CE's skill gap? Absolutely.

• Downvote (-1) 1

So you would make the Sniper skillful, but not the utility weapon? Let's just agree to disagree

The utility weapon in every Halo inherently requires skill, the sniper throughout Halo is has been hit or miss.