Sign in to follow this  
mdawg

Halo Killing Itself?

Hear me out here. I posted this thought as a reply to someone on reddit and got downvoted to hell and back. People didn't understand what I was saying, or either they read the first sentence or two and stopped reading, assuming things I didn't say.

Halo campaign has always been a huge component of the game. In fact, if I had to guess, about 50% (probably more) of the people who buy Halo do so mainly for the campaign. Halo's multiplayer population peaked in Halo 3. Why this was I do not entirely know. The game was a step backwards from Halo 2 imo, but of course it was still a blast to play. Ever since then, it seems like Halo has drifted into a campaign-oriented title, with the multiplayer population dwindling with each new release.

The abilities of Reach (idk if they were in campaign, I loathed Reach and played all of about 10 minutes of the game in total), Halo 4, and Halo 5 work in Halo when looking at it from a campaign aspect. But what is a step forward in making the campaign more interesting does NOT equate into making multiplayer better. As most of us here can agree, it makes multiplayer further from what Halo is.  The populations of Reach and Halo 4 speak a lot to how bad the games were from a longevity standpoint. Yet, with Halo 5, we are seeing more the same in multiplayer. 

My question is a simple one: is the success of Halo the campaign skewing the sales number for Halo the multiplayer shooter?

Is the fact that Halo has such a huge campaign-focused following hurting the PVP-focused community by allowing the game to still sell amazingly well? I believe it does. I believe there's even a large population of people who love Halo's PVP, dislike a lot about Halo 5, but will still be buying the game launch week because of campaign. MS and 343 don't care what the population of their game is a year after launch, because the vast majority of their money has already been made. As long as they can create enough hype over the game to sell their quota, the longevity doesn't matter to them, and never will. They are a capitalistic company, can't fault them for it either.

Just a thought I have been fumbling around with and wanted to get some other opinions on.

I've had some ideas floating around my head as to what I personally would love Halo multiplayer to evolve into, but even I think they would be too radical for the vast majority of console gamers. Not new abilities, but a more classic Halo with a much longer lifespan used for Halo esports. If anyone is interested I'll share, but otherwise I'll avoid being flamed for my idea lol.

My question is a simple one: is the success of Halo the campaign skewing the sales number for Halo the multiplayer shooter?

Yes. Halo's story is unique, intricate, and almost always a blast often worth the price of entry.

I'd wager most people bought Halo 4 for its campaign (at least 8.98 million if post-one year pop numbers mean anything), and this will most certainly be the case for Halo 5 if things don't change. 343 will point to those sales numbers and say "see? Halo is back hashtag!" The problem will be that the game will have zero sales legs because used copies will flood the market after a week or two due to few people keeping it for extended play.

Microsoft will NOT like that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Say what you want about Halo's MP, the campaigns still rival HL2 for me. H3 was perfection, and H4 was amazing as well. I'm SUPER excited for the H5 campaign. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The only things that need adjusting are the Multiplayer and Customs, with some Forge elements added. The campaign storytelling and lore of Halo is phenomenal,and 343i is ace-ing that test.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only things that need adjusting are the Multiplayer and Customs, with some Forge elements added. The campaign storytelling and lore of Halo is phenomenal,and 343i is ace-ing that test.

This is exactly my point. It's hard to knock Halo 4 as a whole, because campaign was great. But I'm just worried people buying the game for campaign is influencing their multiplayer design far too much, trying to incorporate what they are doing on the campaign side into the multiplayer side.  Using the success of the sales of the game, most likely due to campaign, to back the their reasoning for changing MP.  It's not the community's fault for buying a good campaign, more MS/343's fault for failing to see the population drop of off Reach and H4 with these extra abilities added.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well it is a bit misleading to say its killing itself if your premise only refers to multiplayer (which is what most of us here only care about but on Reddit it's a different story).

But I agree--even if MP is bad people will still buy the game for campaign, 100%. What's interesting is their desire to change MP so much as a result of this; you'd think they wouldn't change much as it'd still sell no matter what.

Maybe the lore in H4 campaign was good, but the AI and variety of enemies was abysmal.  Halo 4 campaign felt like a grind more than anything.  Certainly not immersive outside of a lore perspective. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can understand people liking the stories in halo campaigns but after 2 I don't get ho you can like the actual levels. So mundane, hold forward and shoot at TERRIBLE a.I. Even on legendary. No interesting set pieces (scarabs in h3 were good I guess). Just nothing that makes them stand out.

If the campaign were the key then sprint would not be an issue. Mp would not be an issue and 343 would be fighting the pressure because they wouldn't care about mp so much.

There is a cure all for the multiplayer problems we now have with halo. We've herd time and time before that they don't want to separate the competitive and casual scenes, they want to sort of blend it together and they have failed miserably so far at achieving this. I can see the perks of wanting the game to be mostly the same for casual and competitive but where we are at now in halo it's time to separate.

Keep sprint and all the goodies for a playslist and a completely separate playlist and settings for competitive....why not???? it's definitely not going to hurt anything. If there's anything the casual gamer wants its variety, and if the game would flourish I'm sure the competitve playlist would have a good population number. From casual to competitve maps, keep them different, all of them. Give the competitve the smaller to midsize maps catered to no sprint, it will work if done right. The casual maps with sprint should be the larger scale maps where sprint wouldn't be a deal breaker, everyone would win. Why is it so hard to grasp that concept....

The only killing me about not buying halo 5 honestly, I want it for campaign but I do not want to fund the direction of the multiplayer.

But I will still blame 343 on it because since they got their hands on it, its been going down the hole.

Reach was bungie wanting to be done with halo and microsoft forcing it out.

....Keep sprint and all the goodies for a playslist and a completely separate playlist and settings for competitive....why not???? ....

I suggested that they leave H5 on track as they planned, release in Nov 2015 as planned, then four months later release Halo 5C (classic) as a second game without any of the extra mechanics, returning back to HCE mechanics - all as a $20 DLC. I think that would please a lot of folks, and Quinn could save face regarding insisting that sprint remain.

We wont talk about how Quinn will feel when he sees 90%+ of the fans are on H5C and not H5...

It's not the games faul that the people that work on it have no idea how to make a good version of it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can understand people liking the stories in halo campaigns but after 2 I don't get ho you can like the actual levels. So mundane, hold forward and shoot at TERRIBLE a.I. Even on legendary. No interesting set pieces (scarabs in h3 were good I guess). Just nothing that makes them stand out.

Even after CE. CE's campgin>H2's, H3's, Reach's, H4's. Halo got worse and worse in almost every way lol

If Halo can sell on Campaign alone then that means they can do w/e they want with the Multiplayer (such as make it classic and/or competitive) and still make a profit.  So in theory, the Campaign is actually beneficial to our cause.

The problem is they aren't concerned with making profit, they are concerned with making as much profit as possible.  Which means they want both the Campaign AND the Multiplayer to sell.  They WANT the game to retain a population, because that means more DLC sales and returning customers down the line.

I wouldn't blame the Campaign for our woes.  In fact, I wouldn't say its even relevant to the problem at all (see above).

No, I would blame the people in Marketing instead. Because they are convinced that "modern ideas = more money".

I played the H4 campaign straight after finishing H3.

Was an incredibly jarring experience.

The enemies lacked any distinguishing character, the mechanics (sprint, AAs, etc) felt completely fucked, the level design was relatively poo poo, and the story was even harder to follow, and cortana was fat, but less yelly and schizophrenic.

Was not fun.

The story for Halo 4 was interesting. But actually playing the game felt like a total chore. 

The sad part is the lore community does not even care either. I just don't understand it.

The sad part is the lore community does not even care either. I just don't understand it.

It's just a complete tonal shift to Halo 1-3, ODST, even Reach. They tried to make it a space melodrama.

The story for Halo 4 was interesting. But actually playing the game felt like a total chore. 

Yup, I think I actually liked the whole Cortana + Masterchief love, but it is the only Halo campaign I haven't replayed over and over. I can vaguely remember pressing a bunch of buttons in that game to open up gates.