Sign in to follow this  
Zanno

Where’s your indie game?

Where’s your indie game? Everyone and their dog has a kickstarter for an indie game these days. Where’s yours?

You have Reflex in development which is a direct remake of Quake CPMA in its own engine. You have Toxikk in development which is designed by a bunch of hardcore UT players. In both cases the developers decided they don’t like the direction their series is going anymore and decided to make their own game, and in both cases most of the design heavily mirrors the original version of their game and not so much its sequels. This sounds familiar. Even League of Legends is essentially a fork of Dota where a couple of members of their team decided that the Warcraft 3 engine had too many constraints and wanted to take the game in a radically different direction.

So where’s the indie fork of Halo? XNA was sitting there for years and it would have been an easy avenue to publish something that you could have played on the 360. But it never happened and no one even talked about it. The standards to get your game on Steam these days are so absurdly low it’s essentially a question of “Does it run at all?”.

It’s abundantly clear at this point that 343 is not going to give you the game you want so why not stop complaining about it and just make your own game. I find it hard to believe out of the thousands of hardcore Halo players that not a single one grew up and got a job as a programmer. Back in the day a bunch of you kids were always making sigs and other graphic design stuff so I know there’s at least a few artists lurking about. I know for a fact that at least one or two of got a job as a network engineer. You certainly have no shortage of mappers and people who can understand and design high level game mechanics.

You don’t need to spit out a ridiculously polished AAA title to get noticed these days. In fact you are probably doing yourself a favor if the game is primitive because a lot of the reason LOL got so popular is the game can run on a toaster. As long as the game is fun to play, people will play it. There’s really only two gameplay concessions I could think of:

1. You’d need to drop the per poly hitboxes so that you could fund the game by selling nice costumes that the kids really seem to be into these days. F2P models with unlocks are quite bluntly blowing every other business model out of the water at the moment, especially on mobile. Give everyone an ugly tin can parody of a Spartan to start with and make them shell out 5 bucks for the cool looking CIA agent, the obvious ripoff of the black guy from Predator, the adorable waifu in the power armor bikini, and so on. This sells! Even in shovelware facebook games only 100 people have heard of they make a killing off this model. I don't know why but it works.
  2. Unless you really want to deal with the overwhelming amount of bullshit you have to put up with to get a game published on XBLA, you’re either going to have to learn to aim with a mouse or learn to really enjoy getting destroyed every single game. The unanimous single complaint from the rest of the FPS community about Halo is the controller, so if a Halo-style FPS came out without deliberately gimping mouse controls like H2V did then maybe you could score some converts.

The hard reality is online multiplayer console gaming is on its way out. Most people buy COD and Halo for the singleplayer and that’s it. Even fighting games are starting to get PC ports now. There are even rumors of MCC getting a PC port by the end of the year.

What I don’t get is that I’ve been sitting here on the sidelines for over a month watching you guys complain about how 343 doesn’t listen and Halo 5 is terrible and is going to flop they all need to be fired and replaced with a whole new company that understands Halo and it never occurred to one single person that maybe the solution is to just found the company that understands Halo by themselves.

Between Steam, Kickstarter, minimum PC specs finally hitting a decent threshold, and everything else out there, it’s never been easier to put your own game together. Forget sprint, once you get past that there are still tons of problems with every Halo sequel like absurd melee damage, poor health system, absurdly fast shield charge time, hitscan bullets, extremely poor customization (I found it utterly baffling Halo 5 still won’t let you map your own controls), horribly implemented overtime, a game hosting network model that was literaly outdated the before it was even released, and on, and on and on.

Like I said, if your game is good people will play it. The gaming community at large is thirsty for a decent Arena FPS and no one is capable of delivering so far. So stop sitting around powerless at the whim of shitty AAA companies and get yourselves organized. You know what you want. So put it together.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We had Murder Miners, but that was kind of meh.  Murder Miners X is being planned right now but not much info.

Someone else on these very forums is working on an Indie game with very few details so far.

Then there's project contingency, which I wish people would stop hyping up because frankly I'm pretty sure the developers of that game have already came out and said they are looking to make a unique 32v32 experience and not the competitive shooter everyone actually wants.

Agreed.

I know some guys in the Halo community have been pushing forward with their own game. I'm not going to speak for them but I guess we'll see in time whether the community will branch out for the sake of gameplay or whether they'll settle playing shite they don't actually want to be playing.

fed259fbd648d1816228904a5b145f4c.jpg

We've been working on Project #soon for about a year now. It's actually coming along a lot more in the past couple months, although we're just a small group working on a near 0 budget. We understand the importance of starting small; although the project is ambitious, I believe we can get the very bare bones of what makes Halo good. Besides, it's just the multiplayer without vehicles.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We had Murder Miners, but that was kind of meh.  Murder Miners X is being planned right now but not much info.

Murder Miners is meh? It cost $1 and it's better than both Reach and H4 lol 

I hope MMX works out. Looking forward to playing that game. Wonder what the price tag is going to be for that.

whether the community will branch out for the sake of gameplay or whether they'll settle playing shite they don't actually want to be playing.

Our comminity is more willing to play what's most popular over game play. Which is why were already have people switching over to CoD instead of playing Quake live, Murder Miners, etc.

What's the image from?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Posting to support Murder Miners and MMX #hype - game looks sick, there will be a huge competitive focus   :ninja:

Agreed.

I know some guys in the Halo community have been pushing forward with their own game. I'm not going to speak for them but I guess we'll see in time whether the community will branch out for the sake of gameplay or whether they'll settle playing shite they don't actually want to be playing.

fed259fbd648d1816228904a5b145f4c.jpg

Get me a kickstarter. I'll post some money for these guys.

Get me a kickstarter. I'll post some money for these guys.

Off a single picture of a single gun? Really?

Off a single picture of a single gun? Really?

Has nothing to do with the picture. I have a general idea of what you like in a Halo game and you guys developing something to show that is just something I would like to see. I wouldn't throw down a huge amount of money, but if any money helps push you guys forward I'd gladly do what I could. I'm sure others might feel that way as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would love to design/create a game. I don't know how much i could do on a PC tho lol, most've my work would be on the idea board lol

Has nothing to do with the picture. I have a general idea of what you like in a Halo game and you guys developing something to show that is just something I would like to see. I wouldn't throw down a huge amount of money, but if any money helps push you guys forward I'd gladly do what I could. I'm sure others might feel that way as well.

We're doing fine, actually. The help would be appreciated, but we need something that's in a more presentable state.

Why do the guns have a belt buckle? 

What else would hold them together?

We're doing fine, actually. The help would be appreciated, but we need something that's in a more presentable state.

What else would hold them together?

Anything else that can strap things down? It depends on the look you're going for, but i don't agree with the buckles.

I would need to know more about "the making of guns"/other gun designs(in general) to come up with a better answer and i would need to know more about the game's fiction. 

Well if you guys ever get into the phase of taking donations or something of that nature (kickstarter, indiegogo, etc). Let me know. I joined the forums for interests sake.

EDIT: I see now that its not possible to take donations or do anything of the sort

I was working on a game back in the THC days. I felt like I could execute on a shooter game much better than the other indie devs out there. I think Murder Miners is what inspired me to actually start the project. Never finished it, but had a lot of the core features and background down. Been thinking about starting over with the project in the near future. Like someone in this thread mentioned, sometimes, the amount of time and effort that goes into developing a solid game isn't worth the revenue unless your game somehow blows up.

Anything else that can strap things down? It depends on the look you're going for, but i don't agree with the buckles.

I would need to know more about "the making of guns"/other gun designs(in general) to come up with a better answer and i would need to know more about the game's fiction. 

That specific gun isn't finished, but it is meant to be homemade, hence the battery, exposed wire, tape, etc. There are other weapons that are a lot more obviously  built in a garage.

I don't feel like an indie Halo would be alive for more than a week. Halo 4 aside, the community will always move onto the new toy. The casuals will because it's shiny and has a bunch of new shit in it, and the competitive players will move on because that's where the money is. That's not to say a tight-knit group of 10-20 people is necessarily bad for a no-name dev making a multiplayer-only game, or that dead games are automatically bad, but unless a game absolutely explodes like Minecraft, it'll be forgotten at the end of the day when a new AAA game gets released.

I don't feel like an indie Halo would be alive for more than a week.

Don't doubt yourselves

League was a pretty obscure game in its beta, and was still pretty obscure all the way up to the start of season 2, so it took years for that game to take off and now it's #1

If you game is good and fun people will play it. It doesn't seem to matter how complicated or difficult it is. In fact it seems like the more complex games are doing better these better these days, even popular singleplayer indie games often require you to digest a whole wiki to get it down.

I saw murder miners mentioned a bit. I never played it but from what I gathered it relied on a lot of gimmicks in gameplay and also rode on the voxel coattails of Minecraft. That's not really a good recipe for anything with longevity, you suck the Minecraft fans in and then they get bored and go back to their original game.

What you need to do isn't make a game and be like "It's like Halo MLG XD" you need to make a spiritual successor to Halo CE that plays like CE does but better.

Don't doubt yourselves

League was a pretty obscure game in its beta, and was still pretty obscure all the way up to the start of season 2, so it took years for that game to take off and now it's #1

If you game is good and fun people will play it. It doesn't seem to matter how complicated or difficult it is. In fact it seems like the more complex games are doing better these better these days, even popular singleplayer indie games often require you to digest a whole wiki to get it down.

I saw murder miners mentioned a bit. I never played it but from what I gathered it relied on a lot of gimmicks in gameplay and also rode on the voxel coattails of Minecraft. That's not really a good recipe for anything with longevity, you suck the Minecraft fans in and then they get bored and go back to their original game.

What you need to do isn't make a game and be like "It's like Halo MLG XD" you need to make a spiritual successor to Halo CE that plays like CE does but better.

For the game I'm currently working on, it's hoping to be a sort of CE 2.

I'm not entirely sure about the history League, but didn't it have a good amount of money put into its tournaments while existing at a time when MOBAs weren't as big as they are now? CSGO basically has the monopoly on competitive shooters, while almost every large eSport has devs dumping money into it. Money that I doubt some random Halo fan has under their mattress. Halo 1 is already a niche title among Halo players, with a lot of Halo's target audience primarily playing games on consoles and being used to controllers.

While it would be great for a Halo clone to overthrow the original, while possibly making Halo devs rethink their strategy, I just like to think realistically. The chances of a no-name indie dev making a multi-million dollar title are very slim.

I think, at least for myself, its about baby steps. I don't want to try and make a Triple A title that took hundreds of people years to make my try. I'd love to make my ideal shooter but realistically it would be better to make a smaller, less, complex high quality game.

There is a ton that goes into besides coding. Visuals, music, and story have to be interwoven and pre planned.

Not only that but I have other responsibilities. Making a games or games is goal but a long term goal.

For the game I'm currently working on, it's hoping to be a sort of CE 2.

I'm not entirely sure about the history League, but didn't it have a good amount of money put into its tournaments while existing at a time when MOBAs weren't as big as they are now? CSGO basically has the monopoly on competitive shooters, while almost every large eSport has devs dumping money into it. Money that I doubt some random Halo fan has under their mattress. Halo 1 is already a niche title among Halo players, with a lot of Halo's target audience primarily playing games on consoles and being used to controllers.

While it would be great for a Halo clone to overthrow the original, while possibly making Halo devs rethink their strategy, I just like to think realistically. The chances of a no-name indie dev making a multi-million dollar title are very slim.

How many programmers do you have on your team? Do you need any help?

How many programmers do you have on your team? Do you need any help?

We're not looking for any programmers at this time. If anything, some more art people would be best.