Sign in to follow this  
Scarecrow

Ninja's Halo 5 Beta Thoughts

I feel like he owes us another video in which he actually dives into the gameplay.

Likes, Dislikes, and Fixes for those dislikes.

No, that's okay. If he really wants to help the community, he can help by duct-taping his mouth shut before turning on his webcam.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No, that's okay. If he really wants to help the community, he can help by duct-taping his mouth shut before turning on his webcam.

OOOOOO Kill Em!!!

tumblr_mudd7gRhUU1ramou3o1_250.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am 100% sure 343 know to add the shit he was talking about. 

Really? I have my doubts 343 knows anything. Like, at all.

Well, when this is the general belief of the core community 

its not hard to see why pros just dont even bother with giving their criticisms of the game because they think its a waste of their time and will fall on deaf ears. The CS situation is different because Valve is renowned to be one of the most attentive devs in the business after a game releases and the sheer number of significant updates on CSGO is proof of that. Also just an observation, but seeing as how CS is a European central scene, European players for whatever reason tend to be more eloquent and more critical of games than American pros. Like some of the best feedback from the pro community about comp Halo, came from the European players and pros even though they are vastly out-numbered by the Americans.

Ogre 2 quit H5 after 3 games(hasn't played the H5 beta on stream), I was watching his stream and the look on his face was of utter disgust and after he tweeted the game "Felt like Reach/H4". I think if a guy like him who is respected by all in the community, made his thoughts known and gave criticism in the right way 343 might take notice. Then they cant just pass it off as "Oh hey look, the forum kids dont like X feature big surprise" or whatever they are saying right now in their own disillusion.

• Upvote (+1) 6

This was good feedback, but nothing substantial from a gameplay perspective. Was disappointed I gave it a listen to. As someone else pointed out, it sounds like he wants to give up playing professionally for a chance to work for 343, which definitely explains his lack of balls with his feedback. 

This is why we can't have nice things. There are innumerable discussions proving this statement wrong, but you'll just ignore them won't you.

Haven't seen any of these discussions. Don't know how many their could have been with the beta only being 3 weeks long. Kind of like the age old knowing all of CE in 2 weeks batchford style. 

We don't know how any of this will play out. Hell, we don';t even know what changes their gonna make after the beta. 

They're all in the H5Beta thread. I think someone even made a thread about them.

Edit: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/8686-all-reasons-why-sprint-is-bad-in-halo/

Mostly about sprint, which I agree with, thruster on the other hand is exciting for its offensive capabilities and some interesting defensive plays.

I don't think we should say all is lost on thruster yet. With proper nerfs and CDs, it could be really awesome to play with. Especially if they make it so we can thrust and shoot. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Mostly about sprint, which I agree with, thruster on the other hand is exciting for its offensive capabilities and some interesting defensive plays.

I don't think we should say all is lost on thruster yet. With proper nerfs and CDs, it could be really awesome to play with. Especially if they make it so we can thrust and shoot. 

Thrusters need to be tweaked more to be better for offensive use. Namely the little pause at the end of the thruster where you can't melee, switch weapons, nade, shoot, etc. is more of a hindrance than the surprise thrust to the side is a blessing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is why we can't have nice things. There are innumerable discussions proving this statement wrong, but you'll just ignore them won't you.

Halo is literally SO situational man... if you put yourself in favorable situations, as long as you're not completely off your game, you'll pretty much end up with favorable outcomes... a lot more often than if there wasn't a "method to your madness" anyway.

I wouldn't just say something like that if I didn't think it was true... Frankly, I'm not so sure how so many of you disagree. Decision-making, good positioning, and (often times) patience, are HUGE in coming out on top in a game of Halo. I thought this community (of all communities) would be able to acknowledge that...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 9

I think thruster is something that has been added, that we do not need.

Some might find it fun to use in gameplay - but I will tell you, it is ******** to watch on stream, see someone being shot, ooo there he goes - vanishes like a fart in the wind.  Rinse and repeat.

It is a cosmetic that Halo should not have.  But then again, this isnt Halo anymore right?

So f me, I guess it stays

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think thruster is something that has been added, that we do not need.

Some might find it fun to use in gameplay - but I will tell you, it is ******** to watch on stream, see someone being shot, ooo there he goes - vanishes like a fart in the wind.  Rinse and repeat.

It is a cosmetic that Halo should not have.  But then again, this isnt Halo anymore right?

So f me, I guess it stays

Well thats why it should be balanced properly. Tied with shields so it promotes offensive use and really punish or eliminate its defensive capabilities. 

Also, nice Shawshank reference. 

Halo is literally SO situational man... if you put yourself in favorable situations, as long as you're not completely off your game, you'll pretty much end up with favorable outcomes... a lot more often than if there wasn't a "method to your madness" anyway.

I wouldn't just say something like that if I didn't think it was true... Frankly, I'm not so sure how so many of you disagree. Decision-making, good positioning, and (often times) patience, are HUGE in coming out on top in a game of Halo. I thought this community (of all communities) would be able to acknowledge that...

When has postioning, decision making ever been argued against in the history of Halo?  Those are some pretty broad terms you are throwing out there.  I would love to have someone here quote a person in these forums saying, "I dont believe decision making skills" are needed to compete in Halo.

Well thats why it should be balanced properly. Tied with shields so it promotes offensive use and really punish or eliminate its defensive capabilities. 

Also, nice Shawshank reference. 

Put a bowtie on a ball of shit - its still a ball of shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Put a bowtie on a ball of shit - its still a ball of shit.

Its not a ball of shit, sprint is a ball of shit. Thruster has potential. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

Ok, but thruster is a huge nerf to intelligent decision making. It is literally a single button to avoid deaths. Regardless of its big play capabilities, that is how it ends up being used the MAJORITY of the time. It just further places the emphasis on teamshot and engage,dodge,recharge,re-engage. The mechanic doesn't work right now IMO. 

Just think about this. We have a game with a big aiming skillgap, and somewhat fast killtimes. Yet teamshot feels MORE necessary than H3. Its entirely do to thruster and sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thruster is equal to Sprint in terms of terribleness

100% 

I like using it but we have to be honest, its primarily a defensive ability. Not good for a game like Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

its current form yeah, but I still think thruster could really play well given the right tweaks. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I have patience. We set up on truth with excellent views on top red, where the enemy team is.

Then we have a 15 minutes game with like 6 kills because they sprint or thrust away at the first oppurtunity. We don't charge because we have power positions and the power weapon secure.

If thrust/sprint weren't in the game, they would have died many more times as we kept catching them out, but the two escape tools 343 have added let them escape.

It's extremely boring. We could charge ourselves, but then we'd lose power positions and we had the lead anyway. Sprint and thrust are escape tools, anything that lowers your gun is defensive. It slows gameplay to a grinding halt and it sucks.

I can't say I ever saw anything like this in the Beta... never was an issue for me. If a team is losing, why are they constantly hiding and running away? They'd have to engage at some point if they ever planned on winning.

Even if they were hiding and running away, if you and your team have awareness of the situation, ideal positioning, all eyes on the base, and a team trapped, there are ways to flush them out, and outmaneuver/cut them off and clean them up with an at least semi-coordinated effort.

A campy team that's losing is not something I've seen too much of though... and I've played against reasonable ranks and reasonably smart players for a long time.