Sign in to follow this  
Dave_Easily

My Passion is Dwindling - An Open Letter to the Halo Community

@@AppleJoose are the infamous MLG rapper KiLLa CaL best 47 in the game (;

My dude!

I play League and CS:GO with Kifflom a lot, and whenever we reminisce about the Halo days your name always comes up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

for the sake of halo i hope microsoft restructures the studio. something needs to change. 

They will. It may not happen on a timeline that "saves Halo" as a competitive title, but 343 will get canned eventually.

There are too many empirical datapoints indicating how awful 343 is. Player retention is more and more necessary in the modern gaming industry, and MS is paying attention to how unpopular 343's games are. It's just an expensive proposition to gut an entire studio without overwhelming and observable evidence over a large enough sample period.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They will. It may not happen on a timeline that "saves Halo" as a competitive title, but 343 will get canned eventually.

There are too many empirical datapoints indicating how awful 343 is. Player retention is more and more necessary in the modern gaming industry, and MS is paying attention to how unpopular 343's games are. It's just an expensive proposition to gut an entire studio without overwhelming and observable evidence over a large enough sample period.

They just need to allow a different studio make the next installment.  Similar to the way COD runs things (yes I know, they produce a new COD every year so thats why they do it).  Even if we received a new Halo every couple years - this should still happen.

Or just get rid of 343 entirely, they clearly have the wrong vision for Halo and it has been proved time and time again.

That would make me happy as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just don't understand how fundamentally dumb they are.
How do you not make sure matchmaking works? It's 2015 and doesn't work, yet it did 10 years ago on a console 2 generations old.

How do you get worse over such a large period of time? I can understand trying new ways of doing things and it not working, but 10 YEARS!? They should have it on lock by now.

That alone makes me question them, and I haven't even got started on the gameplay they are currently working on. I just don't care enough anymore to spend time picking it apart.

Passion dwindling alright.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The more I think about how to move halo into the future, the more I think Microsoft would do good to have 343 continue and produce two versions for each title. The 343 Frankenstein version and the classic version. Microsoft can get more game for the Dev dollar by having some of this trash just toggle off for classic play.

The more I think about how to move halo into the future, the more I think Microsoft would do good to have 343 continue and produce two versions for each title. The 343 Frankenstein version and the classic version. Microsoft can get more game for the Dev dollar by having some of this trash just toggle off for classic play.

The last thing I want is anything more out of 343.

Aside from a Chipotle giftcard, they have nothing left to offer me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I had Chipotle for dinner. So good.

I am on the fence at the moment. Part of me says that the decision makers at 343 won't last past h5. Another side says who will ms turn to without losing face? It is in Microsoft's interest to have more than one game for the effort they put in.

They'll give you a SEARS gift card instead.

It's just how they roll.

EDIT: for serious, I'm counting on this patch to get me back onto the collection. If not it'll be even longer. I don't want to all out give up on Halo but I feel stranded on an island.

How do you get worse over such a large period of time? I can understand trying new ways of doing things and it not working, but 10 YEARS!? They should have it on lock by now.

They didn't have 4 games on 1 disc 10 years ago either.

Does any other game franchise have people posting this kind of stuff? I'm completely serious. I've never heard of any franchise with so many people writing up their tearful goodbyes. This is ridiculous and never needed to happen. 

Its actually pretty epic to read these personal accounts.  

The most potent one for me was when Cyren brought up the reality of "our" age bracket (halo 1/2 kids) and how what they did to us was almost...personal.

so much for all the hype around 343 hiring all those retired pros

343 "Pro Team" is void of credibility - and they clearly have zero say or influence on game mechanics.  They are not ambassadors for competitive Halo, or a mouthpiece for any of us - but a PR/marketing machine that has been poorly used.  It pisses me off that I even believed for a minute that they would affect positive change.  Shame on me

343 "Pro Team" is void of credibility - and they clearly have zero say or influence on game mechanics.  They are not ambassadors for competitive Halo, or a mouthpiece for any of us - but a PR/marketing machine that has been poorly used.  It pisses me off that I even believed for a minute that they would affect positive change.  Shame on me

Yeah did no one see the sprint show where strongside said breakout was fine and he could see himself playing it again and again and then Walshy clutches the constructive criticism, Strongside gets hired :/.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The biggest issue I have with 343 is this fucking HCS bull shit. It's terrible, amateur, and Halo as no chance of growing with this current structure. 

*IF* 343 figures out a way to fix this game and a good organization comes up and runs proper events, we have a chance. Until Halo 5 comes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just don't understand how fundamentally dumb they are.

How do you not make sure matchmaking works? It's 2015 and doesn't work, yet it did 10 years ago on a console 2 generations old.

That alone makes me question them, and I haven't even got started on the gameplay they are currently working on. I just don't care enough anymore to spend time picking it apart.

Passion dwindling alright.

It's because nowadays they have the option to. As sad as it is. Back then, a game HAD to be done because there was little to no option to rectify a mistake. Nowadays with highspeed internet and the move towards soft copies (that can be changed more easiliy) you don't have to ship a title thats done.

A good comparison is actually the field of journalism. Especially in the U.S. its becoming more and more popular for writers to draft an article, post it three-quarters done and then to refine it post-release.

The only way to change this pattern is to vote with your feet and to not buy a game. Just whining on a forum (no offense) isn't enough (anymore).