Sign in to follow this  
Dave_Easily

My Passion is Dwindling - An Open Letter to the Halo Community

I've certainly lost the passion I have had as well. I practically can't play MCC anymore unless it's customs but even then H2 customs are pretty spotty connection wise.

I had hoped for CE to be decent or fixed to the point where 2v2 tournaments were somewhat viable. I had planned on donating towards a decent prize pool for that. I had started an adopt a noob program and helped dozens of players, until I could no longer join them or finish games with them. How am I supposed to run this concept of teaching players how to improve and teach them CE if it's such a struggle to do so? I wrote up a huge post on the spawn system that I unfortunately had lost. My motivation to finish it dropped afterwards, but I made another attempt and am just dragging my feet because of my lack of interest in Halo right now.

I played the most broken, buggy, functionless arcade games for the past 5 years that are a nightmare to set up. No switch teams options, only the host can invite players, once someone lags out it randomizes teams until a new lobby is set up. Host has to invite his whole team first from party chat, join the other teams party, invite them, and pray nobody lags out. This is such a nightmare when involving 12 people in a private lobby, but this nightmare is a cake walk compared to the issues I've been facing on Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't have much to add other than saying thank you for helping to make it possible for streamers to do what they were doing. There was a long period over the last year or two where there wasn't anything to look forward to in Halo's future, but it was still awesome to watch Halo 3 because of your help.

I'll also go out and thank Jwalk while I'm at it for the effort he put into running tournies. You guys really saved the competitive scene for me for a while.

If they fixed MCC then I would 100% boycott Halo 5.

Fix the bugs, give me ranks to work towards then im set. Ive being playing H1,H2,H3 for years and id happily play them for a few more.

Until they fix MCC and put in pop counters I will boycott 343.

Well I haven't given up.

I think it's called 3 repetitive competitive, very small Halo 2 maps that were supposed to sustain this game competitively and haven't. 

What I think will fix this:

- Free DLC (2-3 new maps, midship remake, etc)

- Patch to fix all major bugs very soon

- Bigger prize pools in HCS events

Halo 5 is actually a great game, I know it feels like Call Of Duty but after playing Destiny I'm starting to turn the corner on my opinion. We need a lot of tweaking.

- Lightning needs to be fixed (maps glow too much)

- Sprint needs to be nerfed

- Kill times need to be slightly buffed

- There needs to be at least 3-4 more good maps

- Dedicated server support and regional support needs to be great

In my opinion that's it, do all this and Halo is back.

This won't be halo. Halo cannot be Halo, if sprint is in the mix. Free DLC? You're joking, right? They release to us a broken game for profits, you think they are going to give us something FREE? psh.. I can't see it.

I know that for some Reach is enough to convict Bungie of fratricide (or Halocide), but in my mind Bungie is still 3 out of 4 and 343 is 0 for 3, including screwing up one title that involved almost nothing more than porting.  Even Destiny, (which I don't like, as Destiny seems to confirm that mindlessly repetitive actions are extremely compelling to a distressingly large number of gamers), seems to be managing to hold its audience.  This tells me that Bungie still knows how to make a compelling game while 343 creations look like Isaac Newton gravity experiments (it's actually a law of nature now that 343 creations fall off in popularity at 9.8 m/s^2).  If I had a choice between 343 and Bungie making the next Halo game at this point I'd risk another Reach before grabbing on to 343's rock laden life raft.

Honestly what games are really out for the xbox one? Every "big" title keeps getting pushed back. (because they don't want a bad release) You have assassins creed, CoD, Halo, and a few other small games, plus Destiny. Honestly Destiny is the only working FPS (other than CoD), and has multiplayer. I feel like when other games are released, the Destiny population will drop. Right now choices are limited, and Destiny is fun to mess around with friends IMO. Solo it sucks, but with a group of friends it's fun to party up.

I hear you, though, and I agree that the competitive community needs to act. Fast. The most effective ways, imo, are the following:

• The first, and the hardest, is a large-scale boycott, affecting both sales and populations and leaving 343 and Microsoft with no choice but to listen to us. You might wonder: "what difference could we make?" well, none. Still, I can convince all of my friends not to buy this game, as I'm basically their "gaming counselor", and, if each one of us managed to do so, that should be more than enough, imo. Boycotting doesn't necessarily mean not playing the game at all. You can buy it used, borrow it from a friend or rent it.
  • The second, which isn't much easier, is to convince the top teams to boycott the HCS, or, at the very least, H5CS. When people find that their favorite teams are gone, the viewers numbers would drop significantly and any plans to put this game in the competitive scene will be lost. Those teams' fans my also support the cause and join the boycott.

I know Me and a couple close friends are not buying/pre ordering H5, my brother, I'm trying to convince him as well. I don't think boycotting will get us anywhere, because the name sells the game. And new kids playing H4 and up, well, they are going to buy it and love it. They had no previous Halo experience. They don't know what it's like to have their heart broken.  There's only one way Halo 5 will work IMO, and that's if they have pretty much two separate games wrapped up on the same disc. If they can cater to the casual community with most of it, and have a special place for us, the competitive/esports side, they might have a winner. If they can have no sprint, less open maps (forgers could help make some), toggles for every ability they've added (or able to disable the abilities when creating a game type), that would win me over. I hate everything about Halo 5, even the feel of the br/snipe/dmr, but I could adapt to that.

I feel if they would make 1-2 playlists (classic style and HCS) and have them without the abilities they're adding for the casuals, and get some maps that work great without sprint (Seemed like the current maps were built around the sprint ability), I think we'd have a pretty decent game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I for one am very optimistic. Once H5 crashes and burns, Microsoft will make some dramatic changes and save Halo. They have a tremendous interest in it and they won't let Quinn et al get in their way. It just takes time to let it all play out.

Halo 5 will crash and burn, because it isn't halo at all.

Does it even matter to Microsoft? If they market Halo 5 right and have a great E3 showing with the campaign that gets the hype rolling leading to great day one sales, then does population drop over the next several months really matter to?

Check it:

Halo 4 grossed US$220 million on its launch day and $300 million in its opening week, a record for the franchise. Assuming a $65 purchase price that's over 4.5 million copies. I'm assuming they got their return on investment and then some. Holy hell that's millions of copies sold opening week.

Will that happen again with Halo 5 even with all those spartan abilities we don't necessarily like intact? My guess is it will still be a huge hit... maybe not with professional gamers, but what percentage of that million copies are competitive compared to casuals?

I'm not sure what my point is but my guess it Microsoft will get their money back on Halo 5 whether we like it or not. Sucks I know.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Does it even matter to Microsoft? If they market Halo 5 right and have a great E3 showing with the campaign that gets the hype rolling leading to great day one sales, then does population drop over the next several months really matter to?

Check it:

Halo 4 grossed US$220 million on its launch day and $300 million in its opening week, a record for the franchise. Assuming a $65 purchase price that's over 4.5 million copies. I'm assuming they got their return on investment and then some. Holy hell that's millions of copies sold opening week.

Will that happen again with Halo 5 even with all those spartan abilities we don't necessarily like intact? My guess is it will still be a huge hit... maybe not with professional gamers, but what percentage of that million copies are competitive compared to casuals?

I'm not sure what my point is but my guess it Microsoft will get their money back on Halo 5 whether we like it or not. Sucks I know.

TBf we got more goin for us this time. As far as the masses were concerned we hasn't had a proper halo in years. H4 was the return of chief. New studio had a lot of baloney hype around them. Now everyone knows h4 was lame, chiefs not the main character. Mcc was trash. All of this has to affect sales. I'll be surprised if it doesn't anyway.

I know Me and a couple close friends are not buying/pre ordering H5, my brother, I'm trying to convince him as well. I don't think boycotting will get us anywhere, because the name sells the game. And new kids playing H4 and up, well, they are going to buy it and love it. They had no previous Halo experience. They don't know what it's like to have their heart broken.  There's only one way Halo 5 will work IMO, and that's if they have pretty much two separate games wrapped up on the same disc. If they can cater to the casual community with most of it, and have a special place for us, the competitive/esports side, they might have a winner. If they can have no sprint, less open maps (forgers could help make some), toggles for every ability they've added (or able to disable the abilities when creating a game type), that would win me over. I hate everything about Halo 5, even the feel of the br/snipe/dmr, but I could adapt to that.

I feel if they would make 1-2 playlists (classic style and HCS) and have them without the abilities they're adding for the casuals, and get some maps that work great without sprint (Seemed like the current maps were built around the sprint ability), I think we'd have a pretty decent game.

This's a good step, which I have already taken.

But I disagree that you can't make those newcomers realize what 343 is doing to the game. If Halofollower and Greenskull, or other ass-kissers, managed to make them like it, we can enlighten them about how harmful the new editions are and then they can make the choice themselves. It worked for me, as I used to support Halo 5.

For example, if Wlashy, Naded or TSquared made a logical analysis to this game during a stream, discussing how each element affects gameplay, there's a big chance people will start seeing what's really going on, then we may have a chance to turn the table.

Although I might accept a classic playlist, there's huge chance we'll be stuck with forge maps and be treated like second-class fans. Also, we must show them it's hard to satisfy us, so that they realize how much the competitive community weigh.

TBf we got more goin for us this time. As far as the masses were concerned we hasn't had a proper halo in years. H4 was the return of chief. New studio had a lot of baloney hype around them. Now everyone knows h4 was lame, chiefs not the main character. Mcc was trash. All of this has to affect sales. I'll be surprised if it doesn't anyway.

Chief is still the main character, and to be fair..Halo 5 is better than vanilla Reach and 4.

Imagine destiny's population may be experiencing an MCC bump for a long time.

Well when it comes too twitch and you tube destiny defo shits all over mcc.

Chief is still the main character, and to be fair..Halo 5 is better than vanilla Reach and 4.

If you look at their interviews/bonus content for h5 and halo nightfall. Their wording suggests that agent Locke is going to take center stage. 343 are *******. They also keep throwing out this line about "wanting to tell a more human story". I think they are at least smart enough to know that that's never gonna happen with chief. Human (with an on-screen backstory)turned Spartan though?. Just don't count it out is all I'm sayin.

I don't think 5 is better than 4, I genuinely would not be surprised to see aim assist increased in the final build. To me that's the only redeeming factor of h5 so far.

This's a good step, which I have already taken.

But I disagree that you can't make those newcomers realize what 343 is doing to the game. If Halofollower and Greenskull, or other ass-kissers, managed to make them like it, we can enlighten them about how harmful the new editions are and then they can make the choice themselves. It worked for me, as I used to support Halo 5.

For example, if Wlashy, Naded or TSquared made a logical analysis to this game during a stream, discussing how each element affects gameplay, there's a big chance people will start seeing what's really going on, then we may have a chance to turn the table.

Although I might accept a classic playlist, there's huge chance we'll be stuck with forge maps and be treated like second-class fans. Also, we must show them it's hard to satisfy us, so that they realize how much the competitive community weigh.

Right now this community doesn't matter to them, because we are smaller than the casuals. Microsoft and 343 are after the money, where we (most of us) kinda grew up and grew into responsibilities. So they're catering to the younger crowd and casuals because they got mom and dad to still fork out the cash for games :P

But I know what you're saying. I'm wanting to try and get their attention from the next event, since 343 claims to support the competitive side of halo. Esports and all.

I would settle for classic and HCS playlists. I think it'd be beautiful. They can cater to their noobs and casuals, and still make this community happy. At least that's what I think.

I liked reach after the NBNS settings came up. I didn't think it was too bad at all. I liked that maps as well, for the most part. I liked countdown and sanc remade. really cant remember the other maps atm >.<

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact I haven't even had the motivation to keep up with news or post here properly any more sums up my "passion" pretty well. I remember doing all the same shit at the beginning of Halo 4, listening to Lemon argue for hours that change was not going to work for Halo. I'm talking June of 2012. Everyone was riding the hype train and called him a "butthurt Halo 2 kid".

I'm fucking done, I've accepted that the franchise is now in different hands, with a different audience and different aims. There are games and studios out there that deserve our loyalty way more and you can be sure I'll be putting my energy into them.

I still love you Ghost, Bravo, Lenox, Dersk, Neighbor, Side, Josh...... there was nothing you could do.

This won't be halo. Halo cannot be Halo, if sprint is in the mix. Free DLC? You're joking, right? They release to us a broken game for profits, you think they are going to give us something FREE? psh.. I can't see it.

Nope, not joking at all. I'm only instating what I think will bring things back completely. No need to get assumptive.  

If you look at their interviews/bonus content for h5 and halo nightfall. Their wording suggests that agent Locke is going to take center stage. 343 are ******s. They also keep throwing out this line about "wanting to tell a more human story". I think they are at least smart enough to know that that's never gonna happen with chief. Human (with an on-screen backstory)turned Spartan though?. Just don't count it out is all I'm sayin.

I don't think 5 is better than 4, I genuinely would not be surprised to see aim assist increased in the final build. To me that's the only redeeming factor of h5 so far.

Have you been keeping up with the lore news? It was officially confirmed that John is still the main character. Consider Locke as the Arbiter.

Nope, not joking at all. I'm only instating what I think will bring things back completely. No need to get assumptive.  

Didn't mean to come across rude (if I did). I was just being sarcastic, I'm not a fan of 343 anymore.

I still love you Ghost, Bravo, Lenox, Dersk, Neighbor, Side, Josh...... there was nothing you could do.

They could quit in protest. But they chose to stay with a company that fraudulently pushes a very broken product. That tells me everything I need to know about their character. And from that it should be clear how I feel about them all.
  • Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They could quit in protest. But they chose to stay with a company that fraudulently pushes a very broken product. That tells me everything I need to know about their character. And from that it should be clear how I feel about them all.

would you quit a easy job like that? I work my butt off doing construction and make 20k-30k a year. They make that or more probably, (honestly have no idea i'm just figuring they make quite a bit more) for doing something they enjoy. If the game was complete trash and I could make a living commentating, or working for that company, doing easy work, I wouldn't quit. I don't blame them a bit. I would definitely voice my opinion, but wouldn't quit.

It shows they're smart, I mean c'mon. Paid to play/talk video games? who doesn't want that. It's not their fault the developers & MS pushed a broken game.

• Upvote (+1) 3