Sign in to follow this  
Dave_Easily

My Passion is Dwindling - An Open Letter to the Halo Community

A toggle. we need toggle. At the very fucking least. Any hope we have rests on toggle for everything we hate about this game, we might have a chance. Itd be far from ideal but i think thats the only way we might be able to keep competetive play going.

I mean i would accept that, but then we go back to the fight of trying to bridge the gap trying to bring in more viewers, players and trying raise our prize money.

Forever fighting for that core competitive game that has a meta to generate the skill gap.

I for one am very optimistic. Once H5 crashes and burns, Microsoft will make some dramatic changes and save Halo. They have a tremendous interest in it and they won't let Quinn et al get in their way. It just takes time to let it all play out.

Halo 5 will crash and burn, because it isn't halo at all.

Took a 3 year break from halo since the release of Reach. I was more excited than i had ever been in my entire 24 years of life for MCC. Bought an xbox one, new headset, new monitor....and now it has all been returned. Goodbye Halo, and thank you for all the great times and memories.  

I plan on trying at the G4G event. If it catches on it'd be cool. If it doesn't, well I get to look like an idiot.

The other people will be the idiots for not chanting it. We will have your back in the twitch chat.

I for one am very optimistic. Once H5 crashes and burns, Microsoft will make some dramatic changes and save Halo. They have a tremendous interest in it and they won't let Quinn et al get in their way. It just takes time to let it all play out.

Halo 5 will crash and burn, because it isn't halo at all.

As much as I admire your optimism - Microsoft cares about $$, not the integrity of Halo.

If 343 gives them big sales at launch, (despite 80% of the population trading in their copies of the game and moving on) that is considered a win and 343 stays.

Sad but true - the best thing we can hope for is people finally come to their senses and NOT buy H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Pyroteq Can I use your signature? It's honestly brilliant.

H5 will be the end of us.

I don't want to play H2A, H4 or H5. Make H1, H2 and H3 work. Now.

@@Dave_Easily You are the man. Great write up. You tried bro! But AGL Brad and Billy are complete idiots and 343 are sellouts to the franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I.. don't know what to say. Your actions make me feel like a kid who thinks he likes this franchise.

I hear you, though, and I agree that the competitive community needs to act. Fast. The most effective ways, imo, are the following:

• The first, and the hardest, is a large-scale boycott, affecting both sales and populations and leaving 343 and Microsoft with no choice but to listen to us. You might wonder: "what difference could we make?" well, none. Still, I can convince all of my friends not to buy this game, as I'm basically their "gaming counselor", and, if each one of us managed to do so, that should be more than enough, imo. Boycotting doesn't necessarily mean not playing the game at all. You can buy it used, borrow it from a friend or rent it.
  • The second, which isn't much easier, is to convince the top teams to boycott the HCS, or, at the very least, H5CS. When people find that their favorite teams are gone, the viewers numbers would drop significantly and any plans to put this game in the competitive scene will be lost. Those teams' fans my also support the cause and join the boycott.

I had those ideas for a while, but never had a clue how to put them to action.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sadly I'm pretty much done playing MCC. Between the build not working correctly, the remaining CE, H2, H3 issues having little chance of getting fixed, @@Bravo not responding to my tweets about CE's issues anymore and my passion dwindling too I'll probably be selling my Xbox soon. The money would have been put to better use if spent on drugs and hookers.

Seriously though I'm not even mad at this point but lost most of my interest for this franchise. I guess I'll quit before it gets anymore painful than it already has been.

Even the chance of reliving and experiencing classic Halo online has not been given to us.

GG 343

• Upvote (+1) 2

I managed to convince someone who had "H5 is good" in his clantag that Halo is on it's deathbed.

That 343 changed the core gameplay to something not recognisable.

That 343 changed Halo's identity for the sake of change. 

343 deserve everything that comes to them when H5 flops like it's brother H4 did.

He has since removed it, and my rant about how Halo turned for the worse since Reach made him think deep about what made Halo special in the first place. Something 343 do not get.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My passion to is dwindling. I was never a competitive player in terms of LANing but man did I dedicate time to this brand. I played all day, every day.

And it all comes down to one simple fact, the last few games arent Halo, they may have the Halo name but they arent the halo we all know and love. I hoped 343 would have learned from Bungies mistakes with Reach but they didnt, Halo 4 wasnt good and unless they strip down Halo 5 I cant see it being either.

I just don't understand how they can take a successful formual and destroy it and say "Adapt and evolve".

Sprint and abilities arent halo and never will be. Its crazy how 343 cant see that. Numbers are dwindling and the solution is so obvious. I just cant be passionate about a game that isnt similar to the first 3.

#BoycottH5

• Upvote (+1) 1

As much as I admire your optimism - Microsoft cares about $$, not the integrity of Halo.

If 343 gives them big sales at launch, (despite 80% of the population trading in their copies of the game and moving on) that is considered a win and 343 stays.

Sad but true - the best thing we can hope for is people finally come to their senses and NOT buy H5.

I totally understand. My perspective today (and yes it may change tomorrow) is that Microsoft has a thirty year plan and is not beholding to Quinn's whims and ego. That dichotomy has got to produce friction at some point. I don't care how much money H4 brought in. I don't care how much MCC brought in. All of that so called success IS going down the toilet because of how MCC turned out, how people actually have sold their XB - THEY SOLD THEIR XBOX - and will not return to Halo so long as Quinn, Frankie, and Josh are calling the shots. And if H5 has mediocre sales and next to no replay value, then I think Microsoft will pull the plug on Quinn et al and try again with some fresh talent.

The only question is will Microsoft understand that it is a studio full of egos that is to blame?

I guarantee you that this scenario i painted can play out, only because of the miserable failure H4 resulted in and is now holding well under 50k daily. If it can happen to H4, it can happen to H5.

I see the competitive community mostly walking away because it is will not be as fun as it could be. I see the casuals walking away because sprint is useless as an escape card for many of them.

Ya I could be wrong, but that is what I gather from all the feedback thus far. Sprint is so "balanced" that no one will enjoy it.

Well I haven't given up.

I think it's called 3 repetitive competitive, very small Halo 2 maps that were supposed to sustain this game competitively and haven't. 

What I think will fix this:

- Free DLC (2-3 new maps, midship remake, etc)

- Patch to fix all major bugs very soon

- Bigger prize pools in HCS events

Halo 5 is actually a great game, I know it feels like Call Of Duty but after playing Destiny I'm starting to turn the corner on my opinion. We need a lot of tweaking.

- Lightning needs to be fixed (maps glow too much)

- Sprint needs to be nerfed

- Kill times need to be slightly buffed

- There needs to be at least 3-4 more good maps

- Dedicated server support and regional support needs to be great

In my opinion that's it, do all this and Halo is back.

The answer to all of the problems lies in Halo CE and grass roots community unity. You have to come to the realisation that there is zero hope in 343 industries. They are not EVER going to deliver us the competitive Halo experience we all long for, regardless of how much money they are pumping into e-sports.

There is only ONE Halo game that has been Lanned for the past 14 years and that is Halo CE. We can't say the same for any other Halo game in the franchise. Halo CE is THE competitive Halo, it is THE competitive Halo experience everyone longs for and it's now available to us on the xb1 with xbox live functionality. 

The only option at this point is to boycott "competitive" Halo 5 and form a grassroots competitive community for the most competitive Halo game available - Halo CE. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The answer to all of the problems lies in Halo CE and grass roots community unity. You have to come to the realisation that there is zero hope in 343 industries. They are not EVER going to deliver us the competitive Halo experience we all long for, regardless of how much money they are pumping into e-sports.

There is only ONE Halo game that has been Lanned for the past 14 years and that is Halo CE. We can't say the same for any other Halo game in the franchise. Halo CE is THE competitive Halo, it is THE competitive Halo experience everyone longs for and it's now available to us on the xb1 with xbox live functionality. 

The only option at this point is to boycott "competitive" Halo 5 and form a grassroots competitive community for the most competitive Halo game available - Halo CE. 

Unfortunately, the majority of the Halo community(unlike other communities) doesn't have the balls to stand by what they want/know what it's best for Halo, it's been happening for a long time  and I really doubt it's going to happen now.

I would personally like to see all 3 of the original games lanned, and then form a community off of that. The original 3 had the biggest LAN crowd compared to the new games.

Even with all the money, I see H5 literally going nowhere. The viewership right now validates this. Nobody wants to see a Halo game with bullshit gimmicks.

I totally understand. My perspective today (and yes it may change tomorrow) is that Microsoft has a thirty year plan and is not beholding to Quinn's whims and ego. That dichotomy has got to produce friction at some point. I don't care how much money H4 brought in. I don't care how much MCC brought in. All of that so called success IS going down the toilet because of how MCC turned out, how people actually have sold their XB - THEY SOLD THEIR XBOX - and will not return to Halo so long as Quinn, Frankie, and Josh are calling the shots. And if H5 has mediocre sales and next to no replay value, then I think Microsoft will pull the plug on Quinn et al and try again with some fresh talent.

The only question is will Microsoft understand that it is a studio full of egos that is to blame?

I'd like to believe this. And knowing Microsoft, you'll be right. It's unlikely they will straight up switch dev teams, so the most likely case scenario for when Halo 5's online pop falls within weeks is that there will be a mass restructuring within 343. Many will be let go, and many new devs will be brought in. It's hard to say what will happen from there.

Best case scenario? Certain Affinity grabs the design lead. 343 handles the technical stuff. Not gonna happen, though.

Bungie-logo.jpg

The fuck you talking about? You forgotten that Bungie made the original trilogy? Sure, they made Reach, but it was not like they went to 343 at gunpoint and said "YOU NEED TO CONTINUE FROM REACH'S MECHANICS". At least Bungie never made Call of Duty in space.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fuck you talking about? You forgotten that Bungie made the original trilogy? Sure, they made Reach, but it was not like they went to 343 at gunpoint and said "YOU NEED TO CONTINUE FROM REACH'S MECHANICS". At least Bungie never made Call of Duty in space.

So we are going to pretend like Bungie was not going to run the franchise into the ground if they kept going? I'm 100% sure that Halo 4 or Reach 2 was going to be Destiny.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If they fixed MCC then I would 100% boycott Halo 5.

Fix the bugs, give me ranks to work towards then im set. Ive being playing H1,H2,H3 for years and id happily play them for a few more. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you guys think MCC will be fully fixed by H5 release?

It was evident when the game dropped that it would never be fixed.

As I've said before: 343 didn't have the developers on staff to complete the original version. With H5 less than a year away, they aren't diverting or hiring new full time resources to fix it. It's not even clear that the staff they have currently possess the "talent" needed to create a working game. 

What little matchmaking, session management and party management 343 ever got to work (dating back to H4) seems like it was probably just stolen directly from Bungie's source repository.

There will never be an H2A tournament without lag outs and crashes.

• Upvote (+1) 3