Sign in to follow this  
Dave_Easily

My Passion is Dwindling - An Open Letter to the Halo Community

I for one am very optimistic. Once H5 crashes and burns, Microsoft will make some dramatic changes and save Halo. They have a tremendous interest in it and they won't let Quinn et al get in their way. It just takes time to let it all play out.

Halo 5 will crash and burn, because it isn't halo at all.

Weren't we all thinking the same thing after Halo 4? 

halo 4 killed halo. halo 5 dresses up the corpse and is controlled by a puppeteer (HCS) to make people think it's still alive.

it's not going to fail lol

the future of halo is grim given 343's track record. 

1. In the beginning, there was Halo Waypoint, a site where challenging opinions were swiftly removed and moderation filtered out healthy debate in favor of distilled positivity. Those who faced the banhammer sometimes wouldn't see why because the site took forever to load. this also came with a degradation to halo stat tracking, the reason many of us became involved in the original halo communities on bungie.net 
  2. 343 took over the Reach reigns from Bungie in the middle of 2011. While they gave it a necessary, long overdue title update, they also removed fan favorite playlists such as squad slayer and dlc and split the fanbase further by keeping four different gametype settings online - default, TU, anniversary, and ZBNS - instead of unifying them and potentially increasing the game's longevity. they also made it impossible to find matches on some of the dlc maps we paid for. 
  3. 343's first order of business was CEA, which was a mostly faithful remake. however, the lack of original CE multiplayer turned off many fans, along with  other changes or flaws in the campaign that ruined the experience for some. 
  4. a storm of complaints surrounding the limited edition content for halo 4 preceded the game's release, again resulting from 343's poor communication. so content was shifted around until players ultimately were paying for limited stuff that wasn't so limited anymore. 
  5. halo 4's hype train consisted of baseless promises such as "trust us" and "it feels like Halo". but the game launched without critical community features such as file sharing, ranks and campaign theater. most of these things weren't announced until weeks before the game launched. 343 kept important features about the game, such as perks, hidden or obscured until launch. 343 also discontinued API stats and rendering services, which led to many communities shutting down. its UI and technical infrastructure was also a considerable step down from Reach's.
  6. then there's the state of halo 4's gameplay itself, further deviating from the core formula with more abilities, default sprint, perks, loadouts with boltshots and plasma pistols, a bunch of large flat maps, instant respawn, kill cams and many other things. players found little replay value in spartan ops and many had trouble understanding the campaign story, which was locked away in terminals outside of the game. forge was gimped compared to reach, and although forge island was a nice gesture, it was held back by general apathy due to the closing of the communities at launch. the boom to the custom content community in reach was completely reversed in halo 4. similar to reach, halo 4's dlc was also handled poorly. out of 4 map packs, players had a hard time finding them online until the weekly playlist was available. all of these things led to a dramatic decrease in player retention.
  7. 343 intentionally hired people who hated halo to "improve" it and make it "more accessible". this came under criticism during their GDC panel (halo wheelchair) where they claimed the fans were the ones who asked for it. 
  8. spartan assault quietly released on platforms nobody owned, amassing a fanbase consisting of me and @Moa. it could have been a solid filler title if it didn't come late to 360 or charge people to experience half of its content. 
  9. Fast forward to the present, where MCC was supposed to be "the return of the king". the halo community was positive about the future of the series once more and was willing to wipe the slate clean. we all know how that turned out. the game was rushed and launched with a ridiculous amount of missing features, glitches, or poor decisions that instantly killed its momentum. 343 again launched without file sharing or ranks and it's a hassle to get in matches with your friends. here we are nearly 3 months later and one has to wonder if the community will ever pick up the pieces and recover. 
  10. the halo 5 beta at least worked better, but the continuation of questionable mechanics and further abuse of their artistic license point to a deliberate and unfaithful deviation of the games millions of halo fans grew to love. 343 is once again making a halo game for everyone but halo fans, only now they're trying to justify it by forcing a competitive scene. there's still a year to possibly turn things around, but relations for many have been permanently severed and good will has been lost. 

i don't think anyone - competitive or casual - should put faith in 343 industries any longer. there are some honest and talented people there and i will stand by my words that they have potential to take the series further than bungie ever could. they just need to understand what made halo great and how to respectfully continue that legacy. right now, and for the last 4 years, they haven't.

@Sa1ient @@Deez

Bookmark this so you can respond to it well into the future after Halo is long gone and you've had time to fully self-reflect on your past.

• Upvote (+1) 1

would you quit a easy job like that? I work my butt off doing construction and make 20k-30k a year. They make that or more probably, (honestly have no idea i'm just figuring they make quite a bit more) for doing something they enjoy. If the game was complete trash and I could make a living commentating, or working for that company, doing easy work, I wouldn't quit. I don't blame them a bit. I would definitely voice my opinion, but wouldn't quit.

It shows they're smart, I mean c'mon. Paid to play/talk video games? who doesn't want that. It's not their fault the developers & MS pushed a broken game.

I have quit jobs to preserve my integrity. That is why I can say that.

Weren't we all thinking the same thing after Halo 4? 

I get the strong feeling things are different with MS this time around. I truly do.

...back on topic...

My passieon!! My passieon... I sayah its DAD! 

Hallelujah

It's ah DAD I sayah.

Hallelujah

It's ah DAAAAAAAD.

Hallelujah

And it's not... ah.... commmmin bahk.

Hallelujah

Noo Noo Noo.

no no no

It's ah looooong  .... ah gone, I sayah.

Amen!

It's ah toooo much ... EEEmmersion for my souuuul

Oh my soul!

It's ah looooong  gone ... and it aint commmin bahk again.

Amen!

Cortana is gone.

Cortana!

Master Chief is gone

Master Chief!

I say the ar-bi-tor is goooone --- wooooo!

Uh huh!

And that spark that is as guilt----y as sin!    He's gone too!

Amen!

• Upvote (+1) 2

There's always that perception that you have a better chance to change something from the inside than from the outside.

Halo is a core franchise and it is in danger of becoming a dead franchise. The recklessness Microsoft has exhibited with this franchise is mind-boggling. Surely the executives have some say on game development? Surely somebody in Microsoft is thinking to themselves, "We're fucking with the money, let's take Halo back to what it used to be"? Or maybe the sales numbers are high enough that they think they can weather the storm of bad publicity and still come out okay.

All I know is, the amount of people who have lost trust in 343 to make Halo games extends far beyond this forum. Even folks you wouldn't consider part of the "Halo community" - just played the games a lot, but never got involved beyond that - are very wary of these so-called innovations. I haven't played Halo 5, so it could be the best thing in the world, I have no clue. But if Microsoft isn't killing the golden goose, they sure seem to be chasing it around the table with a knife.

They could quit in protest. But they chose to stay with a company that fraudulently pushes a very broken product. That tells me everything I need to know about their character. And from that it should be clear how I feel about them all.

LOL

you are crazy, seriously, you are insane if you think they should quit that easy ass semi-high paying job cause MCC doesn't work

It's not THEIR fault the game doesn't work, not one bit

I know you said you worked before but it's painfully obvious you have no idea what a dollar is worth, I'm gonna assume you live with mommy and daddy or mommy and daddy paid your way most of your life, seriously dude what you said is crazy

Like that one dude said, most people kill themselves for 20-30k a year where these guys are likely making twice that to play halo

I'm as mad about MCC as anyone but no, what you said was incredibly dumb

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They could quit in protest. But they chose to stay with a company that fraudulently pushes a very broken product. That tells me everything I need to know about their character. And from that it should be clear how I feel about them all.

Real life. Bills. Expenses. Rent. 

Not realistic. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Real life. Bills. Expenses. Rent. 

Not realistic. 

Well it's not like any of them are going to have jobs there anyways in about a year and half when H5 fails and hopefully microsoft cans the whole studio.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Well it's not like any of them are going to have jobs there anyways in about a year and half when H5 fails and hopefully microsoft cans the whole studio.

So they should just bail now and risk their well being on a hunch that the studio will close down in a year and a half.

..okay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So they should just bail now and risk their well being on a hunch that the studio will close down in a year and a half.

..okay.

It was more of a joke than saying they should bail on them. Sarcasm doesn't transfer well through keystrokes.

They must not have been very good jobs. You'd quit a job making 50k a year, just to prove a point? Not unless your family is wealthy. In real life bills, life, and responsibilities come before pride. (I'm not trying to sound rude if this does) I'm just saying the majority of people would love to make 50k a year to talk about video games. And I know they wouldn't quit, until they had to. Easy money doing something you enjoy. Come on man, think it through.

To stay on topic, i've said this before as well. It isn't bravo's fault the game doesn't work. It isn't the commentators fault that H5 has sprint and gay abilities. They aren't the ones developing the game, they are just on standby, giving input and working with the HCS area. My understanding is they are in charge of the HCS settings, so they try their best to represent us by making a competitive game-type possible. If it was just 343 I'm sure we'd have AR and SMG oriented games. Give them some credit for trying, though they could do more. But its all about the $$. they don't want to jeopardize their job.

Now pro's in my opinion, should be voicing everything loud and clear. Not kissing ass. They have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. They are going to compete in whatever it is 343 releases, why not voice your opinion and try to get something more worth while.

LOL

you are crazy, seriously, you are insane if you think they should quit that easy ass semi-high paying job cause MCC doesn't work

It's not THEIR fault the game doesn't work, not one bit

I know you said you worked before but it's painfully obvious you have no idea what a dollar is worth, I'm gonna assume you live with mommy and daddy or mommy and daddy paid your way most of your life, seriously dude what you said is crazy

Like that one dude said, most people kill themselves for 20-30k a year where these guys are likely making twice that to play halo

I'm as mad about MCC as anyone but no, what you said was incredibly dumb

agreed.

343 as a studio likely will never close until Halo as a franchise has completely dried up. What is much more likely to happen is a mass restructuring, including layoffs of the high-level designers who called the shots for the franchise's (regrettable) direction. Technically, Halo 4 was a marvel, so the grunts who programmed and animated it probably won't be in danger--and the pro team will probably be kept as well. 

Unfortunately, unless Halo 5 bombs extremely hard even a restructure is unlikely. 

A mans gotta eat, so I don't blame the Pro's for cashing out. It just sucks Halo dying has to be a part of it.

lol. the "pro team" at 343 is just a marketing tool. 

I don't get how people haven't recognized this. Who played on the mainstage at E3? The "pro" team. Who was in their vidoc? The "pro" team. 343i is taking the Shootmania route that if you say it is an eSport enough people might maybe believe you. I highly doubt they have any impact on any of the game development.

Sells for Halo 5 will be interesting. I honestly hope Halo 5 flops so Halo can just die in piece instead of being this shit. All I can say is fuck 343 because they have been fucking Halo for the past 5 years now.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You can tell me I am crazy for wanting to maintain my integrity. I don't mind. I can live with myself for my decision. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror if I were Bravo et al. (I do find it strange none of you calling me crazy would understand that point.)

And I trust my integrity to guide me well in life. (I could talk story about that too, more than just quitting a job...)

Proverbs 10:9, 11:3

• Downvote (-1) 2

What upsets me more than the games themselves are the amount of people that have simply vanished from the community.

You could show me a team list from a 2009 MLG event and I would recognize hundreds and hundreds of players, because I'd played against them in playlist or saw them post on the forums. I knew the community as well, if not better than I knew my high school graduating class. To this day I can remember the names, placings, and even emblems of countless players. I remember the hilarious OT posters like Strongcat, notAIDS, JamesIsIrish, and so many others. I remember being psyched for Saturday mornings of events because that's when they'd show some amateur players that I recognized on mainstage. Chris Puckett's Top Tens, BryanSimon going from 10 red boxes to being a moderator on the forums, Aurora's supposed fake girlfriend, GoofyBRbecue, Effin Ninja, Lethul Lethul, I remember all of it. I even remember LANing with Cyren and Legolas18928402402972049724 at Unleashed Gaming, and what SauceySoars was like before he started making Halo content (very rude dude, as was I).

Over the last 3 years I've been slowly desensitizing myself to this whole situation, but the shit I listed above is that shit I'll remember for the rest of my life, because at a time in my life when I needed something to latch onto, Halo was that shit that mattered to me. I don't have the time to grind the game and go to events anymore, but I'd love more than anything to see some familiar faces back on the forums, in the playlists or at events. I probably sound like an 80 year old man talking about his glory days, but the thing that really hurts about this is that, as Lemon said on page 1 of this thread, it never needed to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 7

for the sake of halo i hope microsoft restructures the studio. something needs to change. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember being psyched for Saturday mornings of events because that's when they'd show some amateur players that I recognized on mainstage. Chris Puckett's Top Tens, 

I used to look forward to this so much too, it was so much fun watching MLG back in 2008-2010 and the top tens made me so psyched to play halo along with the MLG broadcast. I don't see myself playing much halo after this year and it's sad to think that the generation that are growing up into halo will miss out an all of the fun I had when I went through high school.

• Upvote (+1) 1