Sign in to follow this  
xboxdigger 94

Halo 5 needs same sprinting as the game Evolve.

Actually... that might be a good idea. Not perfectly ideal by any means, but still way better compared to what we have now. Maybe we could just use the sprint animation while going at normal speed, basically sprinting every time we move, of course without the limitations of sprint (FoV, inability to change direction) and with a crosshair that it's always visible and zero delay between sprint animation and shooting; to walk, you just move the thumbstick 50% up, and walking give you the benefit of making very little noise. So basically everybody sprint, but because it's only visual, in reality nobody does. 

P.s. of course this could only work if shooting don't slow you down in any way.

Based on your comment, I presumed that you hadn't. Adding a sprint animation when you're moving at base speed is not detrimental to the game in any way, as long as when you fire your weapon you come out of that animation instantly.

its pointless buddy. There is no point to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If it Appeals to the modern market without damaging Halo gameplay in any way, why not? 

Whining about a mechanic that will never be removed doesn't solve anything either.

Isn't that what we thought about bloom and sprint before getting zbns in reach?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't that what we thought about bloom and sprint before getting zbns in reach?

No sprint was always possible in Reach. The removal of bloom was a good and surprising move by 343i, yes, but launch Halo 4 showed it was more or less a bait and switch tactic and that they did not share our views on the game at all, at least at the time.

The amount of reading comprehension in this thread is absolutely mind-numbing. If you disagree with the OP's idea, then for the love of the Prophets, read the fucking thing, and use logical arguments to disagree with him. Don't just spout the first shit that comes to mind, we have Waypoint for that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Exactly. So what's the prblem? It doesn't actually affect gameplay, yet still gives casual players their illusion of sprint. Once again, what is the problem?

Exactly. So what's the prblem? It doesn't actually affect gameplay, yet still gives casual players their illusion of sprint. Once again, what is the problem?

You're missing the point. Nobody actually wants sprint. It doesnt attract any more players, Halo 4 proved that. 343 dont have any justification putting it in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're missing the point. Nobody actually wants sprint. It doesnt attract any more players, Halo 4 proved that. 343 dont have any justification putting it in.

Halo 4 didn't prove sprint doesnt attract more players lol... Halo 4 being awful didn't attract more players... 

Sprint was by far the least of H4's issues. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Initial sales say otherwise. If anything, it didn't help create an healty community, but that's because it was detrimental to gameplay.

But initial sales disagree with this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/12/halo-4-makes-220-million-in-24-hours

From the article: According to Microsoft, Halo 4 saw the biggest launch of any Halo game ever and is on track to make $300 million in its first week.

Of course, there isn't a guarantee that this was because of sprint or not, but with the direction that the console fps market has shifted, there is a fair chance that it is.

I can guarantee however that 343 does have some justification to put it in. You just have to look at the trend with modern shooters (and don't bother bringing up CS, the PC market is not the same as the console market). Remember, Microsoft is a business. If removing sprint would increase sales and increase profits like some people here think it would, then you sure as hell bet that Microsoft would have made it happen.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They could just add a sprint toggle......

Everyone wins

Level design would still suffer and it would still split the community.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No sprint was always possible in Reach. The removal of bloom was a good and surprising move by 343i, yes, but launch Halo 4 showed it was more or less a bait and switch tactic and that they did not share our views on the game at all, at least at the time.

The amount of reading comprehension in this thread is absolutely mind-numbing. If you disagree with the OP's idea, then for the love of the Prophets, read the fucking thing, and use logical arguments to disagree with him. Don't just spout the first shit that comes to mind, we have Waypoint for that.

Or you could just go full knee-jerk and bury him in negs...

Remind me to never post anything even remotely controversial on Beyond.

They could just add a sprint toggle......

Everyone wins

Sorry man, but I'm not buying Halo 5 to play "classic" settings on forge maps in a single playlist.

The game is either good or it's not.

I mean I still want a sprint toggle for those that will, but not everyone is winning here and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is why people should read the OP and watch the video before posting.

Thanks, I don't have the open beta, and I didn't know any of that...  :kappa: 

An ilussion of sprint with a stupid animation is dumb as hell. Either remove it or remove it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not a fan of sprint. But I think this sort of thing is just insulting the intelligence of people who expect sprint. It won't satisfy people who would try to sprint and it is just an annoyance for those who don't think sprint should be in the game. Casual player =/= complete moron.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sorry man, but I'm not buying Halo 5 to play "classic" settings on forge maps in a single playlist.

The game is either good or it's not.

I mean I still want a sprint toggle for those that will, but not everyone is winning here and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Can we call it "functional" or "fun" settings instead?

Thanks, I don't have the open beta, and I didn't know any of that...  :kappa: 

An ilussion of sprint with a stupid animation is dumb as hell. Either remove it or remove it.

It makes sense lore-wise, and it gives MS, 343 and CoD kids their bloody "immersion" without damaging gameplay. If you can come up with a better solution, go ahead. Too bad this is all kind of pointless, because H5 is already plagued by "regular sprint" and it's unlikely we'll see it changed or removed anyway.

It makes sense lore-wise, and it gives MS, 343 and CoD kids their bloody "immersion" without damaging gameplay. If you can come up with a better solution, go ahead. Too bad this is all kind of pointless, because H5 is already plagued by "regular sprint" and it's unlikely we'll see it changed or removed anyway.

1) A spartan will never sprint with the same speed as when running with the gun out. It'll be one of the funniest and saddest thing when a Spartan sprints and it just goes as fast as someone chilling with the gun out.

2) If you gonna go about Immersion, you gotta do it right. Spartans can run more than 50kmph (30mph) with their gun out. Hell, previous Halos, MC was running at his top speed with his gun out, managing to go faster than all marines/enemies. In addition, the armor made the user be stronger, faster and more agile. The Mjolnir Mark V and VI already had these features, aka: HCE to H3. So, if you wanna immerse, going as fast as someone sprinting while not sprinting is more realistic than Spartans sprinting like pussies. Increase the base player speed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not sure where you got this from, all I've seen from people wanting sprint is that it gives the illusion of speed because they "don't like jogging", as weak an argument as that is I'd be happy with the compromise such as the one suggested in the OP- we get rid of sprint as a mechanic and fans of sprint still get the illusion of speed.

Yeah illusion of speed is another real reason that people like sprint.

I've rarely seen sprint fans literally saying they like the get-out-of-jail-free aspect of sprint, but it follows logically from the things they say that at least some of them (probably most of them) do. Pretty much 100% of the time when debating with them, they put forward only arguments which are objectively incorrect - arguments such as "it gets me into action faster" - and they never admit that they were wrong no matter how much you do to demonstrate they're wrong. What this indicates is that they're hiding their real reasons for liking sprint because they know that the reasons wouldn't be good enough to keep it in the game.

If these people were simply mistaken about those aspects that they're objectively wrong about, and it had nothing to do with hiding the real reason they like sprint, then we would constantly be hearing: "Oh well I'll be darned, I guess it doesn't get us into action faster! Never mind then. Probably best not to have it when you put it that way". But that literally never happens. I pay them the compliment of assuming they do have the intelligence to understand the very simple arguments which demonstrate the flaw in the "gets me into action" claim, but that they willingly deny it instead.

As for your point about the sprint idea in the OP being a good compromise because it would at least provide the illusion of speed, I agree. Good point. I personally like the OP's sprint idea as an alternative to sprint; I'd be totally happy for 343 to announce they'd gone with the idea instead, it's just I'm almost certain sprint fans wouldn't. This is how the conversation would go:

Sprint fan: "Umm no because then it's just an animation and doesn't get us into action faster"

No-sprint fan: "Sprint doesn't achieve that any way. Kynan Pearson literally confirmed that maps grow to compensate for sprint, to achieve a standard of travel times that have always been needed in Halo. Base speed could be increased to maintain the time it takes to get into action faster"

Sprint fan: "No but there's no skill-gap for it then because real sprint means we have to know when and when not to use it because of the trade-off."

No-sprint fan: - Insert long argument here about why that's not true -

Sprint fan: - Insert continued denial here -

The rest of the comments from sprint fans would be: "Not gonna happen this long into development". But if you asked them if they would accept it hypothetically, they'd repeat those things above.

Throw this compromise idea by them on Waypoint or something and watch how it goes down. You'll see what I mean lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looking at the amount of negs, I get the feeling the OP has been misunderstood. I think it's a good suggestion and I'd love for that version of sprint to be in Halo instead of what we have now. I just don't think sprint fans would like it, which leads me to believe it wouldn't ever be put in Halo. 343 is probably well aware of why people like sprint, and so they probably aren't going to use a compromise that doesn't make sprint fans happy when sprint fans are the people who they're trying to please to begin with.

Not a bad idea in itself though, OP.

I'm not a fan of sprint. But I think this sort of thing is just insulting the intelligence of people who expect sprint. It won't satisfy people who would try to sprint and it is just an annoyance for those who don't think sprint should be in the game. Casual player =/= complete moron.

Yeah exactly.

Lol at people negging this guy for trying to find solutions rather than whining all day about a mechanic that is never gonna be removed.

While I agree that the OP doesn't need negs for offering a compromise, I don't think it's helpful to demean people's requests for it to be removed by referring to their requests as whining. Suggestions for compromises and requests for a full removal both have a value when it comes to feedback.

This is why people should read the OP and watch the video before posting.

Uh I read OP, didn't watch the video but I'm already a level 15 in Evolve so I think I know how sprint works in that game. What I said in my post is true, you still would not be moving as fast as a guy who's not shooting it really wouldn't do anything . And who cares about keeping sprint an "illusion" if were gunna do that just take it out. Same with the people who say let us shoot while sprinting. At that point you might as well just take it out.