CyReN

Gamers For Giving 2015 Discussion

Take a look at some of the special guests that will be at Gamers For Giving!!

tbh... All these big names are coming and i know they are because it's a charity but I'm going to be embarrassed when i see the stream numbers and they are use to 50k+ lol

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

This event is gonna be a lot of fun.

Can we get updated rosters & points?

Updated, but lean more on the HCS thread since that will be more accurate until the week before this event.

Since @@Heinz asked about it:

GFG 2015 - Halo Tournament Schedule

Saturday Schedule Game Types Number of Heats Length of Heat Total Time

12:00 PM Tournament begins              

2:20 PM WB Round 1 Ends Slayer, Flag, Slayer 2 1 hr & 10 minutes 2 hrs & 20 minutes      

4:00 PM WB Round 2 Ends KotH, Slayer, Oddball 2 50 minutes 1 hr & 40 minutes      

6:20 PM LB Round 1 Ends Slayer, Bomb, Slayer 2 1 hr & 10 minutes 2 hrs & 20 minutes      

7:30 PM WB Round 3 Ends Slayer, Bomb, Slayer 1 1 hr & 10 minutes 1 hr & 10 minutes      

8:40 PM LB Round 2 Ends Flag, Slayer, KotH 1 1 hr & 10 minutes 1 hr & 10 minutes      

9:50 PM WB Round 4 & Stream End  Flag, Slayer, KotH OR Flag, Slayer, Oddball, KotH, Slayer,  1 1 hr & 10 minutes OR 1 hr & 30 minutes 1 hr & 10 minutes OR 1 hr & 30 minutes    

10:30 PM LB Round 3 Ends Slayer, Oddball, Slayer 1 52 minutes 52 minutes      

11:30 PM LB Round 4 Ends & Day 1 ends KotH, Slayer, Bomb 1 52 minutes 52 minutes                        

Sunday       Total Day 1 Time = 11 hrs & 34 minutes      

10:00 AM Tournament begins              

11:20 AM LB Round 5 & WB Round 5 End Slayer, Oddball, Slayer, KotH, Slayer 1 1 hr & 20 minutes 1 hr & 20 minutes      

11:30 AM Break for Day 2 Keynote Break            

12:00 PM Resume Tournament Resume            

1:30 PM LB Round 6 & WB Round 6 End Flag, Slayer, Oddball, Slayer, KotH 1 1 hr & 30 minutes 1 hr & 30 minutes      

3:00 PM LB Round 7 Ends Slayer, Bomb, Slayer, Oddball, Slayer 1 1 hr & 37 minutes 1 hr & 37 minutes      

4:30 PM LB Round 8 Ends Flag, Slayer, KotH, Slayer, Oddball 1 1 hr & 30 minutes 1 hr & 30 minutes      

6:00 PM LB Round 9 Ends Slayer, Bomb, Slayer, Oddball, Slayer 1 1 hr & 37 minutes 1 hr & 37 minutes      

~8:30 PM Finals End Flag, Slayer, KotH, Slayer, Oddball, Slayer, Bomb, Slayer 1 2 hrs & 30 minutes 2 hrs & 30 minutes          

Repeat until complete^                     Total Day 2 Time = 10 hrs & 4 minutes      

• Upvote (+1) 1

tbh... All these big names are coming and i know they are because it's a charity but I'm going to be embarrassed when i see the stream numbers and they are use to 50k+ lol

They are coming because it's an amazing event. It's a really big deal in eSports because of the level of production and quality of organization.

People who have been every year tell me how it gets better and better each time by a large margin. Halo will be the SMALLEST part of the tournament in my opinion. There is League of Legends, Peggle, CSGO and Smash. I don't think anyone realizes how many people love Peggle, MCC can't hold a candle at the moment. The numbers will be there. Especially since everyone can't get enough of CoD these past few years.

I'll be at this event if anyone wants to say hi or arm wrestle

I'm down, find this idiot:

rGhTAQK.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Last day to transfer passes is this Wednesday February 11th!

Alright, make sure you all come and say hi to me! Maybe make it a loud high five! (im on the right!)

182437_10152649301970014_440303776_n.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

Anybody from the community gonna try their hand at the Smash 4 tournament?  I want to know who to look out for.  Also let me know who you main.

There are about 20 passes left and I'm debating whether or not to buy one.  I still play melee all the time, but I didn't buy a WiiU and 4 yet.  

@@Voodooman, I hope you can weigh in on this.  Is it cool to buy a pass as a form of donating, or is there an etiquette that I should leave the passes for serious competitors?

Either way my pockets will probably be empty by the end of the weekend.

@@Rich

Michigan has a very Strong Smash scene, and we have one of the very best in the industry running that event. The cap is set to 64, and the scene is aware of the event, however they are notoriously known for getting passes last minute. If you would like to compete, I would recommend you just get it and join up! It will be a fun time, and who knows, your melee skills might transfer!

Look forward to seeing you, and if any further Q's let me know.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anybody from the community gonna try their hand at the Smash 4 tournament?  I want to know who to look out for.  Also let me know who you main.

There are about 20 passes left and I'm debating whether or not to buy one.  I still play melee all the time, but I didn't buy a WiiU and 4 yet.  

@@Voodooman, I hope you can weigh in on this.  Is it cool to buy a pass as a form of donating, or is there an etiquette that I should leave the passes for serious competitors?

Either way my pockets will probably be empty by the end of the weekend.

I'm going for Smash 4, and I dont own a Wii U yet, I've been using a combination of Smash 3DS and Melee to practice. So if you match me in the first round you might have a good chance of not getting knocked out immediately :P

I asked G4G on Twitter and they said they may let players use Saturday evening to let players play friendlies, so you can use that time to get more used to Smash Wii U.

Also my mains for Smash 4 are Fox and Pikachu, in Melee it was Falco.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To my understanding, 343 donated 100% or close to 100% of the prize money. They'll help with streaming infrastructure etc and to my understanding they're really the ones running the tournament.

Staff are probably volunteers, and sponsors will more than likely cover other costs of running the tourney itself.

This is 100% about charity and it's a nice bonus that it's an HCS sanctioned event. Expectations shouldnt be higher than that.

UGC can only do so much. Organizing another tournament so quickly was probably well out of their capabilities.

Actually, Mind Nutrition provided the initial $10K purely to see Halo on the circuit again. Twitch and 343 provided the other half of the money on the basis that it would be an H2A event, which UGC chose to dedicate entirely to the prize pool, although it wasn't a requirement.

Volunteers still need to be fed and accommodated, that leads to an average of $6,500+ per event, and is a consistent expense (which will usually to go up over time).

Admittedly T4 should've have a better spread, but as long as the prize pool remains over $15k in future events, T8 will be paid at the very least. Ask any other of the less known teams that placed in the money how they felt about the spread (or even those just outside of it). It's supposed to encourage more teams to attend and make it worth their while.

Point is that financing is the limiting factor of running regular events.

Actually, Mind Nutrition provided the initial $10K purely to see Halo on the circuit again. Twitch and 343 provided the other half of the money on the basis that it would be an H2A event, which UGC chose to dedicate entirely to the prize pool, although it wasn't a requirement.

Volunteers still need to be fed and accommodated, that leads to an average of $6,500+ per event, and is a consistent expense (which will usually to go up over time).

Admittedly T4 should've have a better spread, but as long as the prize pool remains over $15k in future events, T8 will be paid at the very least. Ask any other of the less known teams that placed in the money how they felt about the spread (or even those just outside of it). It's supposed to encourage more teams to attend and make it worth their while.

Point is that financing is the limiting factor of running regular events.

I jumped around a fair bit on my response, which I think confused you. 343 provided all 10K (at least that I know) of the prizepot at Gamers for Giving. Not UGC. I can see how that would be confusing.

I absolutely understand that volunteers need to be taken care of, I was simply saying that because they're volunteers, there's not a wage expense on top of all that. Because Gamers for Giving is such a charity event, and seems to be so well received by many sponsors, I wouldn't be surprised (but have no idea) if sponsors were able to cover the costs of food etc so more of the proceeds could go straight to charity. Once again, this is me trying to look at it from G4G's perspective, not UGCs. I couldn't tell if you were confused by that in your response.

I think paying Top 8 for UGC is fine and reasonably. Top 16, unless its a 100K tournament, is not. 

I jumped around a fair bit on my response, which I think confused you. 343 provided all 10K (at least that I know) of the prizepot at Gamers for Giving. Not UGC. I can see how that would be confusing.

I absolutely understand that volunteers need to be taken care of, I was simply saying that because they're volunteers, there's not a wage expense on top of all that. Because Gamers for Giving is such a charity event, and seems to be so well received by many sponsors, I wouldn't be surprised (but have no idea) if sponsors were able to cover the costs of food etc so more of the proceeds could go straight to charity. Once again, this is me trying to look at it from G4G's perspective, not UGCs. I couldn't tell if you were confused by that in your response.

I think paying Top 8 for UGC is fine and reasonably. Top 16, unless its a 100K tournament, is not. 

Im paying for my own food....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Im paying for my own food....

Haha fair enough. I thought there was a reasonable chance that you might get that covered. Clearly not.

Hey All,

I have a pass for G4G and it looks like were not gonna make it. If anyone is interested, or knows someone that may be, contact me as soon as possible. I know its a late notice but I figured I would at least try to give another team the opportunity. 

Thanks,

GT: ProjectxPatty

email: [email protected]

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey All,

I have a pass for G4G and it looks like were not gonna make it. If anyone is interested, or knows someone that may be, contact me as soon as possible. I know its a late notice but I figured I would at least try to give another team the opportunity. 

Thanks,

GT: ProjectxPatty

email: [email protected]

Unfortunately, I think it's too late to transfer the pass to a different team.

http://gamersforgiving.org/team-pass-transfers/

I have a pass for GFG and only have a To2. Looking for two more players.

GT:dsk darkfenix

Twitter: mlg_darkfenix

A few of my buddies and I will be stopping by to spectate. Hope to meet some of you Beyond folks there! I will be sporting my black Beyond hoodie and "We back" shirt. Can't wait!

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, with the event being Satuday and Sunday, and with other tournaments as well being run, there is no feasible time to do an FFA.

There will be FFA Peggle.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I will be at Gamers 4 Giving. Come say hi, I will be working it but unfortunately not the Halo stream. I will be running cameras for the other stream that's doing Peggle and CSGO and whatnot. I'm sure I'll pop over to Halo and take some pics and whatnot though.