Sign in to follow this  
Smythyyyy

Change in Youtube/Twitch Policy For Halo [UPDATED]

UPDATE

"In addition, your Items may not use the name of the Microsoft Game in their title to give the impression that Microsoft is the source of the Item, or authorized or endorsed the Item. Items that make referential use of our titles are fine, for example, “Let’s Play Forza Motorsport 5” or “Tips and Strategies for Halo 5.” Using the Game title to tag your Item on social media is fine. We also don’t object to “Red vs. Blue” or “Operation Chastity”. But we may object to “Halo: Covenant Strike,” for example, if it could be confused as something Microsoft produced or licensed, or if it could be mistaken as an official part of the Game. We just want to make sure consumers don’t get confused."

http://mjr.mn/1IPmzei

-------------------------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/KEEMSTARx/status/555733049888223232

For a full list of the changes keemstar is talking about please click on the the link below:

http://itsallviral.com/microsoft-updates-content-usage-policy

I know this isnt strictly halo related but the video does mention halo, and is about about microsoft so I hope its okay to post it here if not I apologize.

Anyway I know some of you are active youtubers/twitch users so I thought i'd simply post it here and see what your thoughts were.

what kind of backwards ass thinking is that lmao

"Sure, you can film the game and you can still put ads in your videos of the game, but you can't say what game it is." 

What the fuck? 

I feel like these things get blown way out of proportion. Most of the time they add stuff for clarification purposes on questions they have been asked. There is a very high chance that nothing will actually change. I mean, nothing has changed yet since these came into force a few months ago. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is it you can't title your video "Halo: The Master Chief Collection" or is it you can't title it "Halo MCC TS Gameplay"? 

Cause if it's just the official title, then it really doesn't matter. But it seems like that's not the case? 

Is it you can't title your video "Halo: The Master Chief Collection" or is it you can't title it "Halo MCC TS Gameplay"? 

Cause if it's just the official title, then it really doesn't matter. But it seems like that's not the case? 

With the examples they use, I think that particular rule is more directed at machinima and story based media. 

You can't use the word "halo" anywhere in your title

That's how it's currently worded

In addition, your Items may not use the name of the Microsoft Game in their title. For example, we don't object to "Red vs. Blue". We don't object to "Operation Chastity". But we do object to "Halo [insert the title of your Item here]". We want to make sure consumers don't get confused.

I replaced all my titles with H2

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can't use the word "halo" anywhere in your title

That's how it's currently worded

In addition, your Items may not use the name of the Microsoft Game in their title. For example, we don't object to "Red vs. Blue". We don't object to "Operation Chastity". But we do object to "Halo [insert the title of your Item here]". We want to make sure consumers don't get confused.

I replaced all my titles with H2

thats a good idea for the meantime i guess. we can just use CE, H2, H3, MCC, etc

Put the title in the thumbnail, fucking easy.

Except the title is the most important part of the video for SEO purposes. Search engines can't search text in images.

Does this rule extend to all YouTubers or just Machinima partners?

I don't even see how this could be legal. Imagine if a bad movie came out and they told magazines they weren't allowed to write a bad review with the name of the movie in the title. Surely having the title in a review counts as fair use?

• Upvote (+1) 1

"In addition, your Items may not use the name of the Microsoft Game in their title to give the impression that Microsoft is the source of the Item, or authorized or endorsed the Item. Items that make referential use of our titles are fine, for example, “Let’s Play Forza Motorsport 5” or “Tips and Strategies for Halo 5.” Using the Game title to tag your Item on social media is fine. We also don’t object to “Red vs. Blue” or “Operation Chastity”. But we may object to “Halo: Covenant Strike,” for example, if it could be confused as something Microsoft produced or licensed, or if it could be mistaken as an official part of the Game. We just want to make sure consumers don’t get confused."

• Upvote (+1) 2

b-but, muh outrage

muh evil microsoft

"We will pick and choose what is okay, if you're critical of halo we might get confused and strike your account"

That's what I'm reading

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"We will pick and choose what is okay, if you're critical of halo we might get confused and strike your account"

That's what I'm reading

That isn't it at all, this is to stop fake and bs content like Halofollower does from confusing people.

• Upvote (+1) 5

so these lazy pros can finally stop using "i can't make money from youtube" as an excuse to not make content now?

They always could.

What is this? Are they telling us how to name our content and how to do proper formatting? Is making content turning into a college degree? 

Next we'll have to put terms of usage in YouTube descriptions.

What is this? Are they telling us how to name our content and how to do proper formatting? Is making content turning into a college degree? 

they clarified and said you are allowed to use halo in the title, however it can't be worded in a way that makes it seem like official halo content 

so yeah kinda

Next we'll have to put terms of usage in YouTube descriptions.

you do

Halo: The Master Chief Collection © Microsoft Corporation. [The title of your Item] was created under Microsoft's "Game Content Usage Rules" using assets from Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and it is not endorsed by or affiliated with Microsoft.   
  • Upvote (+1) 1