MattFeast117

What features would you like to see in a Halo game?

A workshop to bring community created assets into the game - maps, weapon skins, armor permutations.

A process of monetizing the above for the benefit of the individual, developer and community.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Aim Assist Bloom.

I'm fucking tired of bullet spread and cone of fire mechanics that make shooting inconsistent. I liked the idea of bloom loosely forcing a cadence of firing the gun, but it was implemented backwards -- the reticule got bigger and the bullet trajectory got random as a person fired faster.

What SHOULD happen, (and I'm sure most people that read this will recognize it as something I've posted 28937429 times before), is that the reticule should get smaller, and the aim assist the player gets (bullet curvature, reticule stickiness) decreases.

Basically, your gun is equipped with an on-board computer that processes targets and "helps" you aim, by redirection your bullets to hit near a target you're firing upon. At the base cadence (read, the "full reset" rate of fire) you have relatively strong aim assist on all of your shots, and they'll hit a target.

However, you can fire faster than the full reset rate of fire and "overload" the computer, making the aim assist weaker in order to fire faster -- since Master Chief is strong enough to flip an Elephant, we know he doesn't have recoil, so your bullets fire more accurately (straighter) to the point that long range gun fights require you to be literally pinpoint accurate to land your shots.

Bad players will favor the slower rate of fire to ensure their shots hit, while skillful players can out-shoot one another by firing at the max rate of fire and relying on their manual dexterity to win the gun fight. It puts the determination of skill directly into the player's hands, without relying on any sort of lucky spread or random cone of fire to win the lottery for them to land a kill.

In closer range combat, you'll favor the faster rate of fire almost every time. In longer range combat, it becomes a gamble against yourself (not against the dice) on whether or not you can outshoot your opponent. Losing a battle is due to your own failure to aim properly or your own decision to wait and let the reticule reset for aim assist or your decision NOT to while you failed to aim. Shooting is made skillful once again.

Just curious, have you seen this mechanic in another game or what? It's interesting to say the least...

Just curious, have you seen this mechanic in another game or what? It's interesting to say the least...

No.

I came up with it back in the pre-release Reach days when people were slamming bloom because "it's random" -- so I came up with a cadence mechanic that has no randomness, but still allows someone to shoot faster than the intended RoF.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have a few idea's for the thruster pack, most of them I've probably stole from other people reading posts. I'm also removing sprint or none of this would really make sense, it probably doesn't make much sense anyways.

-Re-work the thruster pack. Allow for two thrusts per charge, forwards and backwards thrusts would go the furthest, diagonal would be in the middle, and side to side would be the least. You would also be able to shoot while thrusting. In addition if you hit thruster at the peak of your jump, you would gain additional height which would replace sprint jumping. Slide and charge can also be added to increase versatility of the thruster pack. To balance things make it so if you are shot while thrusting it will "break" and take 8-10 seconds before you can use it again. Thruster is just so boring right now, there is no way to really use it offensively besides trying to ninja someone.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Aim Assist Bloom.

I'm fucking tired of bullet spread and cone of fire mechanics that make shooting inconsistent.  I liked the idea of bloom loosely forcing a cadence of firing the gun, but it was implemented backwards -- the reticule got bigger and the bullet trajectory got random as a person fired faster.

What SHOULD happen, (and I'm sure most people that read this will recognize it as something I've posted 28937429 times before), is that the reticule should get smaller, and the aim assist the player gets (bullet curvature, reticule stickiness) decreases.

Basically, your gun is equipped with an on-board computer that processes targets and "helps" you aim, by redirection your bullets to hit near a target you're firing upon.  At the base cadence (read, the "full reset" rate of fire) you have relatively strong aim assist on all of your shots, and they'll hit a target.

However, you can fire faster than the full reset rate of fire and "overload" the computer, making the aim assist weaker in order to fire faster -- since Master Chief is strong enough to flip an Elephant, we know he doesn't have recoil, so your bullets fire more accurately (straighter) to the point that long range gun fights require you to be literally pinpoint accurate to land your shots.

Bad players will favor the slower rate of fire to ensure their shots hit, while skillful players can out-shoot one another by firing at the max rate of fire and relying on their manual dexterity to win the gun fight.  It puts the determination of skill directly into the player's hands, without relying on any sort of lucky spread or random cone of fire to win the lottery for them to land a kill.

In closer range combat, you'll favor the faster rate of fire almost every time.  In longer range combat, it becomes a gamble against yourself (not against the dice) on whether or not you can outshoot your opponent.  Losing a battle is due to your own failure to aim properly or your own decision to wait and let the reticule reset for aim assist or your decision NOT to while you failed to aim.  Shooting is made skillful once again.

This is genius.

I'd like to see the number of players alive for each team on the hud down by the score. Hate having to hold back to check, especially if you can't use the right stick at the same time.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I keep saying it elsewhere but Thruster Bash... with Spartan Charge removed.

It's the same idea, but the camera stays in first-person and suits Halo's gameplay a lot better... no ridiculous animations needed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I keep saying it elsewhere but Thruster Bash... with Spartan Charge removed.

It's the same idea, but the camera stays in first-person and suits Halo's gameplay a lot better... no ridiculous animations needed.

That requires zero skill and effectively increases lunge while making it a one hit kill. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That requires zero skill and effectively increases lunge while making it a one hit kill. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

What makes you think that I intended it to be a one-hit-kill? You're right, that would be stupid...

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 manTheater

Forge (with adjustable colors for every piece).

Spectator Mode

Static Weapon and Powerup Timers across the board.

A skillful utility weapon with a fast perfect kill time and a long average kill time (single shot and projectile would be nice)

A slimmed down sandbox where every weapon is unique and useful.

Dedicated Servers

A good ranking system

A robust progression system with cosmetic unlocks that takes years to complete 100%.

Reach's File Share and file browsing system.

Overshield and Camo on every map, and an understanding of how they should influence map movement.

If the next Halo game had all that, and cut out the stupid extra shit they keep trying to shoehorn into Halo, then it would be the last game I ever played.

Some fresh things I could see working well in halo is...

Double jump- This is a big change but I feel it's a big change for the better. While giving even more possibilities to strafing and maneuvering I also feel like it could replace the controversial sprint and clamber. Maps could remain the size as they are, your jumps would have to be timed to get the most out of them. For longer horizontal jump and vertical jumps it would be more rewarding than simply sprinting or climbing. In turn this would eliminate the animation frames associated with them allowing you to shoot and make a complicated jumps if skilled enough and reduces the attention it takes away from your enchounters. Sor example instead of turning around and clambering up an object to run away, I could double jump backward while in an engagement.

Timed reloads- This one I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for and it's not as impacting as the first one however, it is something I feel would add a level of skill to the game. Take gears of war reloading system and slap it into halo. This would be a new mechanic to balance guns to a new degree and would give advantages to players who know the timing for each weapon. Of course I wouldn't suggest having gun jams if you miss, only the reward for timing it correctly. So it would be a little more like "YY" to cancel the rest of the reload but added in a more user friendly way. This could also work for melees as a bxb/bxr replacement.

Alt fire- If the smartscope stays and pretty much ONLY in that case, I'd love to see guns handle differently. The H4 light rifle is a good example of this. When it is zoomed it acts situationaly better but not over all better. An rough idea could be that a plasma rifle could shoot a steady stream like the reach covenant weapon when zoomed or a concussion rifle that charges up like a rail gun when zoomed.

Toggle options in gametypes- Sprint, ADS (choices between none, all, just precision.), Other abilities, killcams, nade indicators, radar (on, off, on without levels, teammates only)

Toggle person options- spatan chatter (useful, all, non), Special assassinations.

Manual button layouts- So I can map whatever to whatever.

Weapon priority- prioritizes power weapons when picking up guns on the ground.

Map feedback- So more popular maps cycle more often and possibly groups you with other people with those same preferred maps.

Reintroduce momentum slidejumps- This really helped to players that could think outside of the box.

This is all that comes to mind off the top of my had but I may edit with more later. And these are just fresh ideas that could work and I personally wouldn't mind seeing over some of th pointless ones or game breaking ones weve seen already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's 2015

Why can't we map the controls to whatever buttons we want

Why do we have to pick a number 1 to 10 for sensitivity and why are half these numbers useless

Why do we have to view our connection through a vague meter that looks like a sticker on a children's toy instead of get a netgraph with the actual ping and packetloss, like every other game

Why is there no proper overtime built into the game and instead we have to use that wacky thing where we just add a lot of time

Why is there no option to disable magnetism and/or scoping so we can have 360 no scope customs

Why is there still no option to publicly host custom games when Starcraft 1 did this over a decade ago

Why are you still allowed to requeue immediately after leaving a ranked game when this is not acceptable behavior in any other current popular multiplayer title

Why are you so lazy you can't find the time to take the old meshes of previous maps and touch them up a little bit so that every Halo map ever made is always in the game like they do with the UT series

I mean these are just basic things that I'm puzzled were not in MCC/H5 Beta

The only out of the box, really specific thing I've always wanted in Halo, is instead of that useless crouch feature on the left stick, why not give us a button to toggle between a fast and slow sensitivity

It would add a whole new dimension to shooting in that even routine BR use would be somewhat like quickscoping because you could flick a 180 at 10 sensitivity then toggle to 3 and start aiming at them

• Upvote (+1) 1

Since this is about features that should be added I will refrain from commenting on the need to take out sprint. Oh I guess I just did comment on it. 

Anyway, top five things not in Halo 5 that I would like to see added in no particular order: 

1. Rework Breakout and make it like the original Gears of War multiplayer. No half shield crap. Make maps a bit bigger, move BRs, other rifles, and a power weapon in the middle of the map to fight over. 

2. I would like to see the Breakout player counter make it onto the hud for the whole game, but then go in and make the old scoreboard way more detailed, with more info and statistics. Maybe even a slide that shows you what weapons all of your teammates are currently carrying. 

3. On map power ups (Camo, H3/H2 style Overshield) Put in Speedboost, could even see a Jetpack put in as a power up. (NOT DAMAGE BOOST)

4. I would like to see the return of different style grenades. Frag and plasma are great. H3 tried spike and Incinerary, H4 tried the pulse grenade. None of these really added to the game, but what about some different style grenades like you see in CoD? (maybe even a power drain style grenade that can only take shields down and stop vehicles but can't kill).  

5. Micro Transactions. Hundreds of different styles of armor, for head, shoulders, body, etc. Similar to an Elder Scrolls or even Destiny. Make a lot of it unlockable in game and them have a lot of it available to buy for $1 or whatever. Also include gun skins, like dozens of gun skins per weapon. Let players really build and dedicate themselves to their Spartans. This could help the esports side, CS GO has sponsors on the guns and stuff. Also gives people a reason to keep playing, like Ranks. 

Just some ideas. 

Wall jump is something that would change the game without killing the core. 

Also a higher base speed. 

I was also thinking about a new power up. Now you can say it does the same thing as damage boost but not exactly. 

I want combat boost. 

AKA, The gun shoots 2 times as fast as normal. I can't really explain it, but in the dome I can see it.

• Being able to swap weapons or drop weapons easier for teammates or to throw off the map or to throw into a lift for another teammate to collect or something idk.

• How about a grenade you can throw but it only explodes when you shoot it? So you could try and hide it around corners?

• a trigger for your grenade so it doesn't do any damage but could be used for nade jumping etc or u could switch it back to normal grenade at any time?

• More relevant double jump or even triple jump spots?

• Bring back the grenade launcher from Reach :/ kinda liked it, much better than the magnum grenade thing in halo 4

• Are smoke grenades worth a shot?

• Being able to decide what your crosshair/reticule looks like

• Being able to forfeit under certain conditions like when a team won't cap the flag etc

• or vote to kick a player under certain circumstances 

• button combo to pull out your weapon silently

• tubes kind of like a chimney on some maps that lead directly to hard to nade spots but the entrance of the tube is visible but like a 10-20% of realistically hitting it, it could even move to make it harder for people who have perfected angling nade spots before shields recharge, like the chimney on nuketown in call of duty except it's not moving

• Stun grenade or whatever slows down movement

idk man 0JHZZJw.gif

This post just keeps on being relevant.

• Debuff Field - A regen-like bubble area that decreases weapon power for allies, enabling a team to utilize greater amounts of teamwork to beat their opponents
  • Pre-Spawn - Enables the player to press X to spawn, even before they've died
  • Blue Visor White Spartan - If any opposing player has a power weapon, send them to the graveyard.
  • Map Stretcher - Resize any map automatically (note: may not shrink map size)
  • Spectator Mode (online only)
  • "Possum" Vehicle - UNSC armored minibike, for small maps
  • May now choose flagnum on loadout
  • Upvote (+1) 3

No.

I came up with it back in the pre-release Reach days when people were slamming bloom because "it's random" -- so I came up with a cadence mechanic that has no randomness, but still allows someone to shoot faster than the intended RoF.

I like the idea

Throwing your weapon could do some damage as a last resort do as much damage as you can when you know you're about to be killed type of way, hard to aim the weapon throw though.

Having some Audio sliders would be nice. Or a custom browser. Or the possibility of mapping buttons as you like. Or a FOV slider. Or graphic presets. Or Mod support. Or really any other basic feature PC games have had since forever. 

Voting system!!! too many times have I played 7 games in a row of arena breakout. so many times I have played the same map and same gametype, back to back to back. I've played Colosseum over multiple times as well. Definitely need a veto/voting system. They're BS random picks don't work.