Sign in to follow this  
Ghost on Bnet

What exactly would it take to make a good Halo game now?

Waiting for an entirely new shooter not even called Halo to copy all its mechanics, make them even better and introduce them via an indie game or something.

We won't get a good classic Halo shooter from 343 at this point. There's too many conflicting thoughts and decisions over at 343, too many egos (ironic within Halo), no one will admit what's wrong and make significant decisions to change or revert what's broken.

It's not very hard to figure out either. We all know all it takes is the removal of sprint and a few changes to make the game more responsive overall and Halo 5 could work.

Reach Gold Pro with nadeable powerups, a tweaked spawn system and dev maps would be so nice. And also a 95 FoV...but I digress.

And Hardy LeBel.  He managed to incorporate lore (quick camo, among other things) into multiplayer without destroying anything.

Exactly.  Hardy is the man who made me interested in gaming again back when Halo was released.  He actually created something worthy of our time to spend playing it.

A multiplayer design team consisting of Hardy Lebel, Jon Howard, Chaos Theory, Cursed Lemon, and Big Show would surely result in the greatest multiplayer we've ever had.

If you are asking what will it take to make a Halo game that fans of the original trilogy (Halo 1-3) would like to play, then unfortunately, I believe that it's almost impossible. It's clear from playing H4/H5 that M$/343i are hellbent on creating Halo games that are designed to cater to the masses. I tried to play the H5 beta with an open mind, but it is not the classic Halo that I fell in love with, and I don't believe that it's a good enough game to attract and hold a large player base for an extended amount of time. 

I realize that my opinion on H5 comes from an extremely biased and jaded point of view, but H5 feels like a hollow, uninspired, and generic shooter to me. I attribute these feelings to my love of the original trilogy and franchise fatigue. While I am most definitely not the target audience that 343i is trying to attract with H5, it seems that a lot of people feel the same way about H5, as twitch.tv viewership for the game has bottomed out quickly.

I feel that in order for there to be a good new Halo game created, Microsoft would first have to reverse course, and return Halo to its roots. Secondly, Microsoft would have to give the Halo franchise to a competent developer. It is clear from H4, and the continuing debacle that is MCC, that 343i (despite their best intentions) does not possess the ability to deliver on their promises.

Thirdly, I think Microsoft should do what KnightyyKnight said:

Counterstrike was designed by a fan from the Half Life engine.

MOBAs were designed from StarEdit and Warcraft III.

Lets form a team of people (fans of true Halo) capable of doing the same thing with the Halo engines at our disposal on the PC. 

Make it free.

Have microtransactions.

Boom. We Back and bigger than ever! 

I will personally invest my time, effort and money into the project. I'm just not smart enough to program.

Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft would be brave enough to make their console selling triple AAA title into a free-to-play game, and frankly if I was in their position I wouldn't go that route either. Having said that, I think it's only a matter of time until some F2P game strikes it big on the Xbox One/PS4, so why couldn't a new Halo title be the first game to accomplish this feat?

Thirdly, I think Microsoft should do what KnightyyKnight said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Microsoft would be brave enough to make their console selling triple AAA title into a free-to-play game, and frankly if I was in their position I wouldn't go that route either. Having said that, I think it's only a matter of time until some F2P game strikes it big on the Xbox One/PS4, so why couldn't a new Halo title be the first game to accomplish this feat?

Why M$????

They got us into this mess after they were allowed to tweak Halo in Halo 2/3/Reach/4/5

Think Counterstrike Source. Thats what your saying. It will be just as bad.

Why M$????

They got us into this mess after they were allowed to tweak Halo in Halo 2/3/Reach/4/5

Think Counterstrike Source. Thats what your saying. It will be just as bad.

Don't MS own all the rights to Halo stuff so remaking a Halo type game would be pretty hard, wouldn't it?

I mean, idk what the guys who are making Contingency had to do, so maybe it's possible.

How can it be hard? You call the game "immersive super soldier wars". Make a game with a different art style just copy the way the weapons behave. Change whatever else, laughin.

^Pretty much. Copyrights are easy to get around. It's laughable. 

How can it be hard? You call the game "immersive super soldier wars". Make a game with a different art style just copy the way the weapons behave. Change whatever else, laughin.

Fair enough, I didn't know how strict M$ would be.

Strict doesn't even matter. If a game called "Ring" with only multiplayer that nearly copies the Halo playstyle and it doesn't use any Halo characters, names, or aesthetics, there's nothing Microsoft can do.

Tbf it would depend on how successful a blatant clone ends up. Could easily believe them being greedy enough to try cut off if such a game was made and blew up in esports. I'm pretty sure there's nothing they could actually do though.

Strict doesn't even matter. If a game called "Ring" with only multiplayer that nearly copies the Halo playstyle and it doesn't use any Halo characters, names, or aesthetics, there's nothing Microsoft can do.

Understood, I wasn't sure as I heard about MS shutting something relating to a a game being made that was similar-ish to Halo a while back.

I'm legit talking about a game that plays just like CE in its most competitive state.

Doesn't have to be Spartans.

Doesn't have to be the same weapon models. (just act exactly like the og arsenal)

Doesn't have to be in space or even in the future!

A multiplayer design team consisting of Hardy Lebel, Jon Howard, Chaos Theory, Cursed Lemon, and Big Show would surely result in the greatest multiplayer we've ever had.

If Cursed Lemon worked on Halo, we might end up with a sniper rifle that shoots rockets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But...    will i like it?

I don't know. That's just one of his examples of a stupid idea that isn't objectively terrible. #variety

Design a core Halo game (basic) with new weapons, maps that are designed like halo 3, and make it competitive like counter strike. 

Then make a social playlist that others can play, build a competitive core and the rest of the game will succeed. 

Look how long CS lasts... clearly they're doing things right and they patch all the time and take feedback.

If Cursed Lemon worked on Halo, we might end up with a sniper rifle that shoots rockets.

That's already a mod on certain CE PC servers - except the rocket travels instantly.

Fuck it. I'll post.

Obviously, after Halo 4 and Halo MCC there isn't one solution... but a good start would be for 343 to actually play their game. This way they could see first hand all the lingering problems. I wouldn't expect them to see and solve all problems, but they would see some like:

Exhibit A: Having objective gametypes in the Halo 2 playlist not mention whether it is SMG or BR starts. It sucks, it creates ambiguity and it doesn't take long to realize it when you test/play your product.

Exhibit B: Standoff MultiFlag in the Halo 3 4v4 playlist, that gametype is far from 4v4 and again if 343 would play there game they would see that.

Unfortunately, they hold themselves to a higher standard and they continuously push out bullshit they themselves wouldn't even play.

GG.

Things for me that would make Halo a good game again:

- Ranking system identical/similar to LoL (Halo 5 has this now)0

- Maps built for the gametypes. To me, Slayer KOTH & Ball all need to be ASYM maps. CTF, Bomb need to be SYM maps. No mixing the two. Slayer, KOTH and Ball on SYM maps are boring as hell and no way at all fun.

That's all I about require for Halo to be a good game again to me.

Basing it off of H5-

-Remove sprint

-Nerf thruster

-Projectile objects instead of hitscan

-Slide to replace the sprint button

-Lower bullet mag

-Remove smart scope from autos

-Custom button mapping

-Make clamber a little more challenging

If this was done, h5 would be a wicked cool game.

EDIT: obviously rescale maps accordingly

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think they will allow 343 to take it down further after H5 flops either. I predict H5 will become the final title 343 touches of the franchise.