Sign in to follow this  
RansTheMan

The Thruster Problem

I feel like thruster is worthy of its own topic so here goes.

Despite the poll, pro player support, 343 support and loremasters on waypoint I believe the thruster is fudementally broken. It needs to be seriously reworked or axed from H5. It has been extremely infuriating playing the beta and having almost every single player thrusting away during a fight if down a shot or they miss a shot. Not only this but it also compounds the sprint problem.

Here are 7 clips I have recorded over the past 2 days of playing. I didnt feel like i needed to put them together in a montage with funny music because its already halarious how 343i truely believes this belongs in the game. This is also BY FAR not all of the clips. I could have recorded a dozen per game but these are the ones that really stood out.

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/61247c7c-cc41-4641-be4c-ebd3f1e65f18

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/fb1f8635-9a23-4aed-b599-83690ae3d512?gamerTag=I%20am%20Nemer&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df(This is the best one imo, but for whatever reason it is the only one i get an error with.)

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/8858442a-68bc-46d1-ba4d-7a2ceff13bc9

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/f58c0111-95bc-4e6e-9282-10e7a3108491

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/a2dc5c08-7981-4f8e-9f0f-e872b497a421

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/2e0df27c-bba6-4600-ac3e-cb9ee0accf2c

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/72c70175-7d9f-4543-8671-a69358a08d24

@@Deez @@Sal1ent

• Upvote (+1) 5

I've been noticing this too. I was very surprised with the huge support for thruster as well. Yea its cool thrusting mid fight and juking someone but at the time, its the gateway into getting away from fights. Its thrust, then start sprinting away, thrust again and you're probably safe. Another thing is that they make grenades incredibly useless. You can thrust away so easily from nades and avoid all damage its ridiculous. Needs some form of nerf, whether that be cool down or distance, it has to be fixed. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

In Murder Miners if you use your "thrust" it takes away your shields. Maybe that's a harsh penalty, but what if it costs half of your shield to use? Or all of your shield, whatever works.

unlike sprint, thruster has a place in Halo

it just doesn't work right now. simply increasing its cooldown and/or shortening its length would improve its role in the sandbox. i personally don't think it should thrust you more than a step to the side. the thrusts in these clips are ridiculous and shouldn't be possible at all: 

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/61247c7c-cc41-4641-be4c-ebd3f1e65f18

xboxdvr.com/I+am+Nemer/2e0df27c-bba6-4600-ac3e-cb9ee0accf2c

some of those players may as well have been lagging. 

In Murder Miners if you use your "thrust" it takes away your shields. Maybe that's a harsh penalty, but what if it costs half of your shield to use? Or all of your shield, whatever works.

health penalties are tacky deterrents IMO. Lowering its effectiveness and its availability are more consistent ways of balancing it. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah i am not a fan of thrusting taking away shields only because it deters from aggressive movement... Got the first 2 shots, thrust at him to put the pressure on, and now it is even again. 

I had a post about all the ideas BE has come up with... hold lemme find it.

edit: here is most of the ones we thought of and it can be any combo of the numbers.

For example, i am a fan of the combo #1 and #7 or just #6.

Thruster balancing options:

1. Shoot while thrusting

2. Shorter thrust

3. Longer cool down time

4. Thrust when shields is 100% charged

5. Thruster available as kill bonus (3 kills in a row, etc)

6. Thruster as map pick up

7. Charge time before thrusting 

8. Limited # of thrusts (2 per life and " thruster gas" available on map)

Please add to the list if you have any more.

All abilities bar thrust should be removed

BXR should be added as the counter

Can you IMAGINE that CQC game!?

All abilities bar thrust should be removed

BXR should be added as the counter

Can you IMAGINE that CQC game!?

Inb4 they make it RXB by accident.

Thrusting and power thrusting in MM take health, not shields.  Sprinting and superjumping did not, though.  MM's shields and health also recharged very quickly and there was a 3sk pistol and BR.  Very different mechanics than Halo 5, although they worked well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it just needs a shorter distance and maybe a second or two more to reload. I never saw anyone complaining about it in halo 4. Just increasing the cooldown does nothing because the main problem with it is escaping battles too easily.

It's simple.

we see the greater evil, sprint, and have decided to push every issue aside until sprint is gone. once sprint is gone, we will rant on the other issues

• Upvote (+1) 5

I was thinking of having thrusters use "fuel' and theres just enough fuel to do 5 thrusts untill you need to get more. I was thinking fuel could either be an on map pickup, or there could be no fuel and the player just has 5 uses of thruster pack the whole game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thrusting and power thrusting in MM take health, not shields.  Sprinting and superjumping did not, though.  MM's shields and health also recharged very quickly and there was a 3sk pistol and BR.  Very different mechanics than Halo 5, although they worked well.

Oh yeah that's what it was.

Yeah i considered some of those other things you metnioned, just thought i'd bring up the idea.

Shorten thruster distance, lengthen cool down time, slow the speed, and allow us to shoot while doing it. This makes it much more of an offensive ability.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was thinking of having thrusters use "fuel' and theres just enough fuel to do 5 thrusts untill you need to get more. I was thinking fuel could either be an on map pickup, or there could be no fuel and the player just has 5 uses of thruster pack the whole game.

I like this idea a lot. Put fuel cans on the map like health packs in Reach.

Honestly, I don't mind thruster.

I might receive some hate for saying that, but it reminds me of dodge jumping from UT. It doesn't completely change the game unlike sprint and if the maps were designed around thrusters instead of sprint there could be some really bad ass trick jumps.

So yeah, I'm on the fence about it. If they took it away I wouldn't cry or anything. I wish we could see how the game played with thrusters and no sprint just to test it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually like the thruster and thought it was by far the best AA in Halo 4 as well. I hope they keep but balance it.

Thruster is fine, just the thrust distance need to be reduced and lengthen cooldown.

The problem is sprint + thruster, if sprint stays:

- Disable thruster when player is sprinting.

- When a player just stopped sprinting, disable thruster for a few seconds.

- When player is walking and use thruster, disallow sprint for a few seconds.

It's simple.

we see the greater evil, sprint, and have decided to push every issue aside until sprint is gone. once sprint is gone, we will rant on the other issues

This is kinda off-topic but hey:

I really like the idea that we are discussing every mechanic and try to suggest stuff that helps H5 to be a better experience.

The sad thing is even if we write another 1000 sites of suggestions and feedback that would help the game getting better they will still not listen to it.

I think the best fix for thrusters is to lengthen the cool-down time and shorten the thrust distance. Being able to shoot might be a good idea too, but I don't feel like it would be 100℅ necessary.

- Reduce thruster distance a little.

- Increase recharge time by a second.

- Allow shooting and throwing grenades mid thrust (return of H4's super throw by thrusting forward and throwing a nade?).

- Have a visual tell on the player model when Thruster is charged and available.

- Delay activation of thrust by several milliseconds after the button is pressed (so it feels like CE's jump delay) - include another visual tell that a thrust is about to occur to allow for counterplay.

- Remove Sprint and transfer the shield recharge delay mechanic to the Thruster by means of resetting the shield recharge wait bar when a thrust is used and ensuring that the bar cannot begin to decrease until the Thruster itself has recharged.

- Buff base speed by 15-25%

- Not sure how it would make sense in the context of the game, but making it so that getting a kill immediately recharges your Thruster could allow for some great outplay potential when you're outnumbered but significantly outskill the opponents.

• Upvote (+1) 2