Smythyyyy

Do you feel the Halo franchise will recover under 343i?

211 members have voted

1. 1. Will halo recover under 343's management

• Yes
    • No

This thread is depressing, I can see halo 5 doing better than halo 4 but it will never go back too the crazy numberes of halo 3.

That being said I do really like halo 5 from a casual point, unlike halo 4 where I just didn't like anything. Also the ranking system is top tier!

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think it will ever be as popular as it was with the original trilogy.

The hype from those days is long gone, the community and online population is much smaller now.

Halo doesn't have that mainstream appeal anymore.

Such a sad thing to admit. Halo is by far the greatest console fps of all time IMO, now look at it they can't even count teams in MCC...

• Upvote (+1) 1

The damage of Reach and 4 is done. It will be a miracle to see Halo return to it's former glory. That miracle fades away even more each passing day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mate, competitive Halo wasn't going to recover under Bungie, let alone 343.

Even if Halo 5 is an awesome game, it's not Halo and that means there's no reason to pick Halo over CoD or Destiny. CoD will release a new game and Halo 5 will lose all the new players that thought sprinting and clamber was awesome. Destiny will release a new expansion and everyone will go back to grinding for their epics and then Halo 5 will be left with the die hard fans. Some of these fans will notice the population drop and go back to MCC or other competitive games like CS:GO and 343 will then announce instant kill hit scan weapons for Halo 6 and then finally some of the casual audience might actually wake up and say "hey... wait a second"...

Halo 2 introduced stupid mechanics such as absurd amounts of autoaim, Plasma Pistol charges capable of 90 degree turns and dual wielding. Bungie proved they had no idea what the definition of "balance" was when they released BR's only on Ascension... With a Banshee...

Halo 3 went a step forward in reducing autoaim, but then 20 steps back by making aiming feel like you were wrestling your controller thanks to stupid aim acceleration and movement acceleration made strafing useless, so even though the autoaim was reduced, hitting a target was almost just as easy. Map design also went out the window.

Then came Halo Reach. People were like "OMG, we're saved, single shot DMR!"... Which was awesome except it meant you had to stop shooting in order to be more accurate... In an arena shooter. You had to stop shooting. In an arena shooter. Dual wielding was removed, YAY! Except we got armour lock in return. Maps are somehow even worse than Halo 3 - That's just impressive.

Then Halo 4 came along. The BR is back (All the hordes of Halo 2 fanboys that never played Halo 1 rejoice!). No more bloom! Except now we have ordnance drops and loadouts and jetpacks making map design completely worthless.

Now Halo 5 is making more changes in a single game than Halo 2, 3, Reach and 4 made PUT TOGETHER.

It seems neither Bungie or 343 know how to make Halo competitive.

Hell, the only reason Halo 3 survived was because of Forge allowing the community to make maps that didn't suck.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 has 0 chance of reviving halo. They are better at giving people hope, then making things worse by either going against what they led people to believe or by straight up showing their incompetence as a gaming studio. What's the first thing they do? They give us NBNS Reach. People get hyped as hell because of how much better it is. Then they go and release halo 4 which included the one thing people were happiest to get out of reach (sprint) along with all the other garbage in the game. Then they announce MCC and everyone gets on their knees for em, understandably so. Then the game comes out and it flat out doesn't work, and still doesn't work 2 months after release. Hell the halo 5 beta is the first time they havent gone down the 1 step forward 10 steps back path, they straight up turned around and hightailed it in the wrong direction. Their best chance of reviving halo was MCC. They had people excited that hadn't even played halo since 2007. If that game would've launched without a hitch, I would bet every dollar I have that viewer numbers for tournaments would be double or triple what they have been. People don't want to tune in and watch a game that they have become so scorned with.  I personally know 9 people that got xbox ones and MCC on release day and went on to return it before christmas. They gave the game a month to be what was advertised and it still didn't come close. I still play MCC and will continue to play MCC simply because despite all the issues, it has the halo games that I actually love. But at this point I'm well beyond dislike for them, I am disgusted by what they did with MCC and what they're doing to halo 5. That whole studio should get axed.

The point is that i feel halo 5 from what iv experienced in the beta has continued to concentrate their resources on trying to satisfy the casual fan base

The thing is. I believe Halo is made up of competitive community. The casuals are in a small minority.

Whats more popular, the competitive Halo 1/2/3 or the casual Reach/H4 ?

How can you hear more loudly, the competitive scene or the casual scene?

In my opinion, Throw all that ability and sprint nonsense into campaign, Spartan ops, as an option in custom games. 

I know you can use guns and abilities in COD's campaign that they dont allow in MM.

343 Doesn't even give a fuck anymore about the raw halo community. They know we fucking hate them so they're just like fuck it, lets do what ever the fuck we want to make money. They don't even care about making a good game anymore.

Will Halo ever be the number 1 played game on XBL for years and years again? Nope. Will Halo ever be one of the largest eSports in North America again? Probably not.

Is 343 to blame for that? Maybe partially.

Xbox Live is no longer dominated by few games that split the market among themselves. Almost every game that comes out nowadays includes some form of Multiplayer and competition has become very fierce on XBL. The attitude of gamers has changed as well. Very few are willing to commit to a game over several years, most simply bounce from game to game and return when new DLC is out.

I honestly think no game will ever dominate XBL again like Halo did or even like CoD did after Halo started to decline. At best someone will finally do a really good f2p game on XBL, but it seems like console players still love the 60 dollars + DLC investment.

Even if 343 were to make the perfect Halo game for everyone: Reach-H5 style features in one mode, huge BTB in another and CEv2 for competitive with the sickest campaign. Even then Halo would not be as popular as it once was. Those days are over. Things peak. Musicians peak, Politicians peak, Sport athletes peak and game franchises also peak. Halo has had it's peak and those of us who were around should be grateful for the memories.

As for the eSports part. Both Riot and Activision have proven that you just have to throw money at your game for it to become a big eSport. 343 can do the same and I believe that, given that they'll continue with HCS, Halo will eventually grow to a 25k-50k viewership game that'll have it's place within eSports. Will we ever see people on Dr. P bottles and sponsorships by car manufactures, mobile companies etc. ? eSports is moving more and more towards developer run leagues for the purpose of marketing the game so I kinda doubt it.

343 will not fix the halo scene, they will take the money till its over, sprint is not the problem either. You can see what 343 are all about when they sold their unique halo channel audience on to US military recruitment, I mean really beyond net get a grip, sprint, really that's the issue ? not selling out to the military ? please get a grip echo chamber of nonsense. don't bother answering, will not read it

I don't want to join the unsc, team america or the lazer rangers  

if halo dies everywhere but north america it will deserve it.

• Downvote (-1) 9

You can see what 343 are all about when they sold their unique halo channel audience on to US military recruitment, I mean really beyond net get a grip, sprint, really that's the issue ? not selling out to the military ? please get a grip echo chamber of nonsense. don't bother answering, will not read it

They were the highest bidder for that ad space

We already had this discussion with you, 343 isn't trying to recruit people into the military, they're trying to make the most money they can, like every other businessdan

But please, feel free to continue being willingly ignorant on the matter.

"Us gubment is brainwashing kidZ via the halo channel"

• Upvote (+1) 4

To be honest, I can sympathize with 343.. trying to create a game for a newer generation of FPS gamer while simultaneously trying to appease their older more dedicated fanbase. The problem with this is that it's impossible to do both, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. What we are left with is them giving dirty man-birth to Halo 5 which feels like a watered down experience for both casuals and competitive halo fans alike. You could write a whole long list of everything they've done wrong, hell I've read a few in this thread but ultimately, 343 was created from the ground up to create a modern game and slap the halo name on it. That quote about boasting about hiring people who hate halo says it all imho and under 343 (or maybe Microsoft deserve more of the blame) Halo wont' ever recover. 

343 will not fix the halo scene, they will take the money till its over, sprint is not the problem either. You can see what 343 are all about when they sold their unique halo channel audience on to US military recruitment, I mean really beyond net get a grip, sprint, really that's the issue ? not selling out to the military ? please get a grip echo chamber of nonsense. don't bother answering, will not read it

I don't want to join the unsc, team america or the lazer rangers. if halo dies everywhere but north america it will deserve it.

I hope you realize how absolutely ******** that sounds. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have no faith in 343 unfortunately. They have a couple guys I respect and trust, but those guys aren't put in a position where they're feedback really matters. Or that's what I choose to believe anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think that 343 can build halo back up if they release multiple solid releases, even after the disaster of mcc, I think that people will notice it once more and go back to it. Their games would need to include incredible story mode as well as a solid, competitive multiplayer. If 343 keeps supporting the tournys their's no question that it will start rolling more and more and have players wanting to try it. We need to see game of the year awards coming for halo and I believe 343 can release a game with an excellent story/multiplayer that can supply a goty award. They have a great ranking system in my mind so that helps with players wanting to be the best.

They cannot afford to release an unfinished game/crappy game, however if they do than they will fall hard and I will no longer support halo. I don't want to give them a pass for the disaster that mcc was, but I will accept it and move on because it was a pretty ambitious thing and I feel they weren't dedicated to the project as much as they are with halo 5 because it's a brand new title.

It's funny how the OP phrases the question. It should be "did 343 improve the state of the franchise after Halo: Reach".

We all know the answer. And now everything should be different in Halo 5? Come on now.

Whom ever thinks a early Beta means anything is delusional. All they're going to do is fix a glitch on some door, fix UI bugs and maybe  tiny ability tweaks.

What you see in the beta is 99% what you will get at launch, 98% if lucky.

• Upvote (+1) 9

If Microsoft wants to compete with COD, then they would have to push out a new game every year. I feel this wouldn't be a horrible ploy, but push out a Halo game every 1.5 years. Just make two separate style games. One could have been the Master Chief portion which should have been a complete continuation of the original trilogy, no sprint, no AAs, no other bull shit we know and hate. The other could have been this new crap they are pushing out. Introduce the Locke character and give him his own style of play. Yeah it would completely divide the scene, but you would have people who buy both, enjoy both, and you wouldn't be displeasing any core fanbase.

Sure that would take two separate dev teams and cost more money, but at the same time, you'd also be selling (potentially) twice as many AAA title games and also have two completely separate eSport style shows. idk, sounds to me like more money for the same "franchise" but just two completely separate games. I'm not a business major or anything of the sorts, so maybe this is completely idiotic and a waste of resources. Just throwing out my opinion on what they should have done after the shit that was H4 now that they have two completely different main characters that you will be playing as.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Microsoft wants to compete with COD, then they would have to push out a new game every year. I feel this wouldn't be a horrible ploy, but push out a Halo game every 1.5 years. Just make two separate style games. One could have been the Master Chief portion which should have been a complete continuation of the original trilogy, no sprint, no AAs, no other bull shit we know and hate. The other could have been this new crap they are pushing out. Introduce the Locke character and give him his own style of play. Yeah it would completely divide the scene, but you would have people who buy both, enjoy both, and you wouldn't be displeasing any core fanbase.

Sure that would take two separate dev teams and cost more money, but at the same time, you'd also be selling (potentially) twice as many AAA title games and also have two completely separate eSport style shows. idk, sounds to me like more money for the same "franchise" but just two completely separate games. I'm not a business major or anything of the sorts, so maybe this is completely idiotic and a waste of resources. Just throwing out my opinion on what they should have done after the shit that was H4 now that they have two completely different main characters that you will be playing as.

I really like the concept and think its there only real option in terms of pleasing the vast majority with the community as fragmented/divided as it is but is the community large enough for that t be profitable?

No. My attitude to 343 has gone from just seeing them as a company who only cares about casuals with H4 to seeing them as a group of people who don't have much grasp on competitive MP design with H5. In H5 it seems as if they're trying to make a competitive game but they just don't get it. Trying to speed up the game by bringing in defensive abilities is the best example of this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really like the concept and think its there only real option in terms of pleasing the vast majority with the community as fragmented/divided as it is but is the community large enough for that t be profitable?

After seeing the amount of people who actually bought MCC in order to play classic Halo, I think it could be. At least for the classic Halo experience. Then If there are people who really do love the "Next Gen" Halo style, they would stick around long enough to make it a possibility. I know the classic Halo would definitely have a good population. It always does (when it works).

I think both sides of the competitive/causal audiences would stand out though. You would see what the competitive people like and what the casuals like based on population numbers and statistics. Sure it wouldn't be perfect, but it would definitely show where Halo needs to go and if the "Next Gen" was the more successful title, then so be it, Classic Halo would die. I just don't think that would actually be the case.

Well when you have Bungie creating Destiny, which receives more unique players daily than Halo 3 and Reach combined, you have to start asking yourself as a Developer where the console FPS mechanics is going.

The number 1 complaint with Destiny is not about the game mechanics (which includes every game mechanic that goes against HCE-H3) but that there is a lack of content for players to play with.  And the funny part about this, is that the Destiny population contains a very large amount of old Halo players.

But Destiny isnt an arena shooter, nobody should be comparing them on game mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 2