Sign in to follow this  
Proto

Official UGC St. Louis $20k Feedback Thread

Really excited for the EGL event next month, although I'm kind of gutted that it's invite only. I'm still planning on going to spectate though. There have been a lot of team changes in Europe since TCM split so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top at the event.

Did anyone see Ryanoob and Chig jump to ring 3 from bonfire on the sanc TS game? Can't believe the casters missed it.

I thought no one saw that! Shhhh let's keep this quiet ;)
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Really excited for the EGL event next month, although I'm kind of gutted that it's invite only. I'm still planning on going to spectate though. There have been a lot of team changes in Europe since TCM split so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top at the event. 

Did anyone see Ryanoob and Chig jump to ring 3 from bonfire on the sanc TS game? Can't believe the casters missed it.

Timestamp, by chance?

Timestamp, by chance?

You Don't see it, you just hear Ryanoob saying "boost me up". It's in the finals, I think it was slayer

You Don't see it, you just hear Ryanoob saying "boost me up". It's in the finals, I think it was slayer

Ya you can see it on stream. Bravo said something about them looking like monkeys. 

Is it the same way it was on the original Sanctuary? (on the safe side of jump up) Pretty sure you can do it under the P shooter as well.

OT:

Once listen-ins and the down time between matches were tweaked by late Sunday, the show was running smooth. (despite the Xbox One/MCC issues) 

Walshy with Bravo/Maven was FANTASTIC. 

The FFA was a waste of time for competitors and viewers.

The biggest matches need to be planned ahead of time so we don't miss any of our favorites. (Or have 2 streams) 

I know this might be asking a lot but would it be hard to have a camera on the crowd with a mic dialed down a little? Increases the immersion ten fold.

T2 and Naded did that at Iron Gaming.

@@RyaNoob

Definitely think there should be some forge maps added in. Watching three maps, even with some intense close matches, can get very stale. Idk if 343 has any sort of map pack hidden up their sleeve but if not then we should seriously consider adding in one or two forge maps to improve variety and competition(players should learn how to play different types of maps). Btw when I say forge maps I do not mean another midship clone or a pit remake. Something new and fresh would be ideal, but a Beaver Creek remake wouldn't hurt. Again, like I've said in multiple other threads we should definitely at least test out Orion and Epicborough Keep.   

As for the actual events. I think the in between games periods would really benefit from having Dmaq as the interviewer. Really added in some funny moments at IG and he usually asks some pretty good questions too. Interviewing pro players instead of random people would be beneficial too since the viewers probably want to learn more about the pro players instead of some random dude.

Walshy, GB, Bravo, and Maven are all great casters but I think finding the right caster combo is crucial. Bravo and GB together just doesn't work but GB+Walshy and Maven+Bravo were great. 

I think Goldenboy and Maven is the best Cast DUO.

Walshy can get a bit carried away with analysis, the games moves fast and you eventually need to catch up with plays. Deep analysis can also be saved for breaks

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

If you're going to have people tweet out the UGC hashtag for giveaways, make them include the stream link too. That's any easy way to get people to promote the stream and the tournament.

PROMOTE FUTURE EVENTS AND TOURNAMENTS DURING BREAKS

More montages and interesting videos between matches please

Walshy can get a bit carried away with analysis, the games moves fast and you eventually need to catch up with plays. Deep analysis can also be saved for breaks

If there's enough time to explain to imaginary 'new halo players' about what regulation time is then Walshy has more than enough time to talk about actual Halo analysis. Play by play can hype up good moments but over the course of the entire game it's surface level.

EDIT; OT-

Stream

• Clock on stream with local event time
  • Estimated time until next series with teams playing
  • More Halo - whoever's fault doesn't really matter, with bo3 Halo it should be flowing out of every orifice

Casting

• More player / caster combos
  • Make sure casters know which role they're playing - even if it's two play by play casters one needs to take that bad cop role
  • When everyone is good, nobody is - so many 2-0's / 3-0 / 3-1 beatings, find out player / team potential and be honest when casting

Stop coddling the audience

Tailor what you're saying relevant to the 99% people definitely watching instead of the 1% maybe, could be, probably not watching. If you're mentioning regulation time, instead of auto-cuing a set explanation around the 10-12min mark actually make it relevant to the game we're watching:

"Expect to see [X team] starting to take more chance plays as we draw closer to regulation time,"

"Given the proximity to regulation time you've got to think [Y team] will be content to hold back with this 3-1 lead,

"It's a tight game but with how streaky [Z team] has been playing you know [team captain] will be keeping one eye on regulation time" 

This way you sound like you know what you're doing, not only to the <50 who haven't got a clue about Halo but to the rest of the community as well. Even if that very small minority don't understand what regulation time is they're still going to get the concept when you walk the game in from the final 2min mark. Not only do you sound more professional but you lay yourself up for further analysis as the game progresses.

I never see the kind of hand holding present in Halo casting in other e-sports.

(Not in any Order)

- Fix Audio and Video Issues (obviously) 

- A Fixed MCC (Does it need to be said?) 

- Add a Second Stream (Maybe even a third stream)

- More maps added to the rotation (like at least 2) 

- More interviews (pros)

- Player/Team Profiles (When setting up matches have the roster of each team shown on screen and break them down. Like use tournament stats, team record/HCS points, or individual player stats would be cool. Not saying you should do that for the 60th ranked team but when you get down to the sweet 16 or last 8 it would be nice for us fans to see) Also Decreases DOWNTIME

- More stream interactions  | Suggestion - Have Votes or polls on Twitter/strawpoll or however you want to do it. Have people on the stream vote by linking it. After a minute or so show the results on screen. So if the Poll is "Who will win, STR8 or Cloud9" and people go vote and then they see the results on stream 35%Str8 , 65%C9 or whatever. The outcomes obviously don't matter but it definitely adds to the stream and is a way to interact. That's just one thing of lots of things you could do for interaction. Oh yea, it also decreases DOWNTIME.

Get rid of FFA. If you're keeping it, get rid of Simplex.

The map as such is fine it just needs to be smaller and more visually appealing.

We had average 10k viewers. We do not have a new audience at all, the extra 3-4k we have is from people who came back for H2A

Playing montages during the breaks was a really good idea to me. The breaks were still a lot longer than they should have been, but watching montages during them gave people something to actually watch and talk about instead of just bashing the tournament in chat. It would be very beneficial to have more than one station that can be streamed.

I can kind of agree with this honestly. I really enjoy Walshy's analysis, just sometimes he takes too long to say what he is trying to say. Like when there is a really close game or a tense situation he needs to shorten his analysis a bit so we can still hear some of the play by play.

Great feedback Proto, you covered everything perfectly imo. I didn't get to watch much, but I will say reading about that Mowhawk Mike and him actually having a mowhawk like his pseudonym made me lol irl. Professionalism definitely needs to be more seriously considered.

I didn't catch the FFA.  What was wrong with it?

- Ran very, very late on Friday night

- Many players dropped out during the middle of it because it was going so late

- Played a disgusting looking Forge map 

- Many stream issues occurred during it to where it became unwatchable at some points. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

- Ran very, very late on Friday night

- Many players dropped out during the middle of it because it was going so late

- Played a disgusting looking Forge map 

- Many stream issues occurred during it to where it became unwatchable at some points. 

Oh ok, I see.  Was there any prize money for it?

My biggest complaint throughout the weekend is the fact that UGC kept their FFA scores on paper and they kept teams in the bracket that didn't show or check in to the tournament. I feel they need to find ways to digitize this and it will help reduce issues.

For instance my team did not receive any of our ffa seeding points due to a mishap and ended up with one of the lower seeds (64) when we should have been around 35.

I think the next UGC tournament will run a lot better and smoother. Definitely a learning experience.

Hey Proto, all,

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the great feedback. Like Alex said, we've got a great deal of things we can improve upon for the rest of this season, and we will do so. Thanks for tuning in, supporting, and providing such constructive feedback and criticism. If I get some time this week, I'll drop in and comment on a few specific items, and what we're doing to update and improve. For now, MCC updates remain priority #1. Thanks again <3

• Upvote (+1) 9

Hey Proto, all,

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the great feedback. Like Alex said, we've got a great deal of things we can improve upon for the rest of this season, and we will do so. Thanks for tuning in, supporting, and providing such constructive feedback and criticism. If I get some time this week, I'll drop in and comment on a few specific items, and what we're doing to update and improve. For now, MCC updates remain priority #1. Thanks again <3

I had tried tweeting, but god only knows the cesspool of tweets you have to cycle through... regardless thanks for your continued professionalism.

I was wondering if we could eventually get an expanded list of patch notes directly relating to the H1 fixes? The game has come a long way, and it definitely plays a lot better. Theres a small group of us who are very curious as to what changes were made! Any chance we can learn more?

and can you tell me what adjustments were made to boxer control layout? It was listed on the last patch's notes that they updated the settings but i haven't noticed any improvements

Im going to lose my mind if i have to keep pressing 'b' to throw grenades

The biggest issue I had with the event was the lack of preparation. Multiple times throughout the weekend we heard UGC staff complaining that they had been up multiple days on end or that they were not ready for the event. This ended up leading to them making mistakes that ruined the event for some people. For example, they left teams out of the FFA and had to go back and enter them in giving them multiple round byes. Additionally, they forgot to take teams that did not show out of the 4v4 bracket giving teams multiple round byes. They also ruined the seeding. They failed to recognize my teams HCS points going into the event and when we showed up on Saturday we learned that we were seeded lower than teams with 0 HCS points. When we informed them that they had messed up they said that if they changed it now they would have to change everyones seed, implying that it would be us causing the headache. They then went on to say that we could either play with the seed we were given or forfeit. They obviously did not prepare enough for the size of the tournament which is beyond me because it was no surprise how many teams were going to show. Please UGC do not put the blame on us for your lack of preparation and/or understaffing. I got sick of hearing your staff complain about being up days on end "at our expense". Additionally, what the literal fuck was up with the entire replay rule? It was clear the staff knew nothing about the game. In a series of Crowd Pleasers vs. Reality Check one of Crowd Pleasers players lagged out 10 min into the game when it was a tie and the official said keep playing! LOL!? And lets not even get into the fuckery that was the Optic vs. C9 series... I dont see how the officials can call a full restart when a team was winning flag 4-1 with 5 min left. It just proves that they knew nothing about the game!

On a more positive note the wireless headsets the audience was given for the finals that allowed you to listen to each team was amazing and should be at every event. I died laughing listening to all of CLG tell Royal 2 to stop bitching the entire series, that was awesome.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1