Kreig556

What do you have against sprint?

Issues generated by sprint  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What do you dislike the most about sprint?

• Allows players to escape
    • Negatively affects map design
    • Forces players to lower their weapon
    • Affects the spawn system
    • Significantly decreases the base movement speed
    • Affects the predictability of players' actions

All of them are bad, yes, but I'm asking what is the deal-breaker for you, so that 343 have a better insight on what we think about sprint's problems.

I figured as much. Bad maps was my choice.

Sprint is a little more bearable with better sightlines.

Map design and the fact it accelerates your vulnerability more so than your travel. There's nothing like pulling off a Killtac then sprinting into a sniper's line of sight. Golden part? Getting shields zapped and not be able to Sprint away until seconds later.

Entirely useless mechanic.

It's faster too say what's good about sprint:

Nothing.

If you can come up with one good reason why it's good I'm sure one of our halo scientists could come up with 50 reasons as too why you're fucking wrong.

I never tought that Sprint should have been introduced in 4v4, but when I was a complete noob in Halo 3 I often wished I had it on Sandtrap. So I guess that the thing that's good about Sprint is that it pleases the casuals.

Too bad it ruins everything else.

I never tought that Sprint should have been introduced in 4v4, but when I was a complete noob in Halo 3 I often wished I had it on Sandtrap. So I guess that the thing that's good about Sprint is that it pleases the casuals.

Too bad it ruins everything else.

I think it's okay in BTB too Tbh, I mean when the map is fucking massive it's ideal.

As many others have said before, tough choice. Gotta go with map design though. Coming from one game (starcraft 2) where a feature fucks map design hard (forcefields), I'm just sick of getting maps fucked by features that were awfully designed. And just like SC2, the developer is too fucking stubborn to take it out despite the majority of the community wanting them to do so.

Sprint can only work on larger maps hence why 343 based halo 4 around big team battle

I picked ruins map design as a result 

and don't mention waypoint they just simply dont have a clue what are they are talking about although sadly i think thats where  kevin franklin gets his brillant new ideas from

Immersion

I think this goes hand-in-hand with the question "Why the fuck would you want to do that"

Like, why can't my Spartan briskly jog, instead of having only two gears of movement? Because, who, let alone why, would anyone fucking want that. 

I think this goes hand-in-hand with the question "Why the fuck would you want to do that"

Like, why can't my Spartan briskly jog, instead of having only two gears of movement? Because, who, let alone why, would anyone fucking want that. 

To me, in all honesty, it's simply just an excuse for a developer to tag along with what they believe is "trending". It's actually quite popular for devs to fall under the belief that there are certain "eras" in which gamers will only want to play a specific type of game in a genre. Because, blazing trails and leading the charge is scary!

I'm going to say map design but with the explanation that there really isn't any map design in Halo that can fix sprint (at least not by itself). However it can cause good maps to become bad through compromises/changes they make in an attempt to "fix" sprint. That along with the amount of extra effort it takes to really design a GOOD map is why I feel it is the biggest issue.

Also to the point of sprinting away from bad situations, which also leads to players in good positioning having to leave that position to chase (or the engagement turns into a game of 2 shot, sprint, recharge, snoozefest). I think the only way you can really combat this is to lower kill time until it is so fast sprinting away doesn't work. Thus making the game even more CoD like. Taking away s big reason Halo is so fun, the gun battles (not to fast, not to slow, making each encounter feel like a game in of itself where skill can really shine through). This inevitably will lead to a bunch of other issues that would need to be tweaked like grenades, weapon balancing/differentiation issues, etc. When all they really had to do in the first place is remove sprint and direct your focus on other far more creative things.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The fact you get multiple chances to make stupid decisions and get away with it.. Like seriously.

Being forced to lower your weapon makes a huge difference. With the SMG and such, you can shoot at any time while sprinting. If the BR and rifles behaved that way, sprinting could be used in more aggressive ways that would also counteract many of its negatives.

I would have voted for the first pool, but anyone with half a brain would acknowledge what Sprint does to the maps.

Being forced to lower your weapon makes a huge difference. With the SMG and such, you can shoot at any time while sprinting. If the BR and rifles behaved that way, sprinting could be used in more aggressive ways that would also counteract many of its negatives.

so the main problem for you is that you cannot shoot whilst sprinting 

so in your ideal halo, (with sprint) you would be able to run and shoot simultaneously, quick question why would anyone not sprint indefinitely? answer they wouldn't thus your problem could be solved by simply increasing the base movement speed   

Players wouldn't be able to escape in Halo 5 with just sprint due to the way it is designed. It's the thrust + sprint combo that creates easy escapability so with that said, map design suffering has to be my answer.

It works in most FPS games because the kill time is so low, but Halo has a much larger kill time so it doesn't work. That is literally it.

so in your ideal halo, (with sprint) you would be able to run and shoot simultaneously, quick question why would anyone not sprint indefinitely? answer they wouldn't thus your problem could be solved by simply increasing the base movement speed   

It's not my main problem, sorry if that wasn't clear.  I just think it's not talked about enough.

I'm assuming sprint will never be removed from this game and want it to be implemented properly if that's the case.  There are other shooters out there that have sprinting mechanics that work well and Halo 5 needs to take from those to implement sprint well.  Allowing players to always have their weapons ready is a good start because it gives players more options and doesn't make offensive plays with sprint riskier than defensive ones.

what would the point of that be though? all you're doing is moving faster then, which can be accomplished by raising everyone's movement speed higher. there'd be no point in doing anything other than sprinting around, blasting people before they can react. 

In previous titles I would say you are right. However there is one more factor now in Halo 5 to consider.

Lets break down what sprint does directly in Halo 5 (not it's side effects).

1. It increases your movement speed
  2. It causes you to lower your weapon
  3. It causes you to not regenerate (Halo 5 exclusive)

So in Halo 5 you could remove the requirement of lower your weapon and keep the other two. At that point you would have an unlimited sprint which would grant you an increased movement speed at the expense of shield regeneration while still being able to shoot.

In previous Halo titles you would be correct. Removing the lowering of weapon would leave you with only the increased movement speed, at which point everyone would just sprint the whole time thus defeating the point and would be easier to just make sprint the default movement speed.

Is this an acceptable solution? I don't know, it would have to be tested. My guess is that it would help, but not solve, the problem(s). You still have map design choices that have to be made, you could still have large areas of "dead zones" where people don't engage but just serve to "spread" the map out and require sprinting to really navigate in a competitive way. You still could still see issues where people sprint away thus requiring the other person to leave an advantageous part of the map to chase them. And so on.

Finally, a mechanic that perhaps could be looked at if lowering your weapon was removed and sprint remained could be weapon accuracy while sprinting. As a human you can easily draw a parallel of being able to shoot while running, however your accuracy would be vastly reduced.