Scalzo

The Good Beer Thread

I THOUGHT HE WAS A DEPLORABLE TROGLODYTE BUT WHAT DO I KNOW 

Well that too, but he also sent me beer and put my name as King Andrew Olsen, so he earned back a little bit of love. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've always wanted to open an Abyss early (ahead of the 'Best After' date), so I decided to do it with one of the handful of 2015s I got. 

I'll say that they have that advice on there for a reason. This stuff is really not great when this fresh. It's not 'hot' in the terms we often describe high-abv beers, it's just a mess, similar to how I've described regular Maker's Mark, especially compared to the Cask Strength version. Not the point. 

Really, I ought to have opened it alongside an Abyss from 2014, but I don't have any friends. Just a year is really all the brewery indicates is how long you should wait. Comparatively, older Abyss is calmer, and you're able to really fish through the whole beer and explore the different flavors it has to offer, especially as it warms.

The biggest difference, I think, is that fresh, you can really taste the 12% abv, instead of having it be sneaky.

I definitely wouldn't say that, although I'd argue that Abyss is the flagship for overrated 'limited release' stouts. 

I think it's pretty good, if nothing special.

Bedeviled Belgian Golden Strong Ale by Wicked Weed Brewing is pretty decent, had it for the first time this weekend.

I've yet to have a disappointing beer from Wicked Weed yet.

I've asked before, but just thought I'd ask again:

Anyone use the Untappd phone app to track beers?  If so what is your username

Add me: MrHymae

Scalzo

... im not a fan of Wicked Weed. Most of their beer is underdeveloped and one note, at least when it comes to their wilds. I have yet to be impressed by anything they make.

I've liked what I've had from Wicked Weed, but definitely haven't been blown away yet. Also question whether it's worth dropping the bills or not at this point for the ones I haven't tried yet

I've liked what I've had from Wicked Weed, but definitely haven't been blown away yet. Also question whether it's worth dropping the bills or not at this point for the ones I haven't tried yet

Wicked Weed's Pernicious and Freak of Nature on tap were very impressive to me.

I havent tried their IPAS, i have heard decent things about those.

Their wilds are not worth it 90% of the time tho

• Upvote (+1) 1

So much De Garde. So little time.

did you scoop up any of their recent bottles? or been out there lately?

Trevor is has some awesome projects going

did you scoop up any of their recent bottles? or been out there lately?

Trevor is has some awesome projects going

Going to pick up 2 allocations of everything they just dropped for the anniversary party. 

Anyone able to get any Pliny the Elder where they live.  I would proudly pay a hefty amount to score a bottle.  Or trade for some brews exclusively down here in Georgia.  I've been trying to score some Pliny for years now.

Anyone able to get any Pliny the Elder where they live.  I would proudly pay a hefty amount to score a bottle.  Or trade for some brews exclusively down here in Georgia.  I've been trying to score some Pliny for years now.

Pliny was once the gold standard, but since then new hop varieties have come out, and breweries are getting much more expressive citrus/tropical fruit flavors out of these ingredients. I would try to get some east coast hops. pliny is relativley easy to get tho. Just post what kind of beers you have available near you on one of the national Facebook beer groups, or on beeradvocate.com

@@hapaxlegomena if you see Rodenbach Alexander, scoop it up

Its an old beer that Rodenbach hasnt made since the 90's, its like the og oude tart w cherries

What beer should I pick up today Scalzo?

Going to a liquor store with an okay local selection

hapax would know better

but go with something from Jacks Abbey, Trillium, or get Captains Daughter from Grey Sail

@@hapaxlegomena if you see Rodenbach Alexander, scoop it up

Its an old beer that Rodenbach hasnt made since the 90's, its like the og oude tart w cherries

I'll def look for it. Got another place near a buddy that has a great selection as well, so fingers Xed

What beer should I pick up today Scalzo?

Going to a liquor store with an okay local selection

If there are still some fresh Captain's Daughter like Scalz mentioned, grab those. Brewmaster Jack bombers not six/four packs are solid, cheap, & I usually see them around. Trillium did start distributing a lot more, so maybe you can find some. Grimm if they have any.

I didn't see any details on what the distro would be like for Alexander, Scalzo? 

Read an article on it a while back, sounds like it could be great if it lives up to it's predecessor. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't see any details on what the distro would be like for Alexander, Scalzo? 

Read an article on it a while back, sounds like it could be great if it lives up to it's predecessor.

Ive heard good things so far, I havent followed the distro details much but i have heard rumblings about bottles showing up on shelves in Mass and in the East Coast. Im too lazy to confirm or deny but i also remember hearing that this release was either mainly US distro, or 100% US distro. Sort of like the way Westy did the blocks a couple years back

Only been a member a few weeks and just discovered there is a beer thread. Halo and beer in one place, all my dreams have come true. Anyone in this thread familiar with The Bruery? Currently enjoying their 2016 Mocha Wednesday, a 19.4% monster that is just delicious.

QN5Ijeb.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2