Scalzo

The Good Beer Thread

Crazy to see how weakly 2015 Rare is trading, compared to 2009. Must have been that much more made. It's like it's just another variant like Prop or something.

2010*** 

there were roughly 200 barrels of 2015 Rare, pretty sure each one is 55 gallons, which translates to around 60k bottles after you calculate loss and other factors, might be more towards 50 or 40, but either way its significantly more than the first rare, which was no more than 20k

2010 was also a much better beer  :wub:

By my memory, #2 was the best, but that was also the first one I had so it's hard to compare. #4 was really great, though.

Was given a couple of gifts, which I promptly drank-

CsxO6B6.jpg

Tg2R1dO.jpg

I've had Heady before, and my impression was essentially the same. Juicy.

Second Fiddle is new to me, and it seems to have more going on. I get dank flavors, tobacco, licorice, and more. That said, I don't like it as much. It's a very good DIPA, but it just lacks what Heady has to offer.

Heady wins this round vs another formidable Vermont IPA, but I know there's more battles out there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hopslam out now, some guy on reddit is offering 2xYellow Rose for 6xHopslam. Go for it? If I can get 24 I'll probably do it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wife picked me up a 24 pack of Hopslam on Friday.  Have to say it's much better this year than last.  Not sure if that has to do with the can this year or not.

Anyone able to get their hands on any Hopslam from Bell's Brewery?

I live just south of Atlanta, and the surrounding liquor stores would only allow 1 can per person.  I was able to snag 3 cans total.

Three weeks later I went to the North Georgia Mountains and stop in this little liquor store and was able to snag 3 more. (So surprised they still had some).

Great beer!

@@Hymae, I had my wife pick up some while I was at work.  The nearest distributor to me is 40 miles away.  Sell out in one day every year now but when I first got it in 2010 I just walked in weeks after release and picked it up.  Canning it this year seems to have made a big impact; I was kind of underwhelmed by last year's batch but this year was awesome.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol I got two 6 packs of Hopslam, still have 6 left that I'm working through. 

Trader Joe's here in KC gets a bunch with no limit.

This was the first year I havent had any hopslam, since 2011 or 2010 

Its always pretty good but IPA's have come a long way in the last 5 years, lots of new hop varietals and brewing techniques that have resulted in cleaner and less bitter, more fruity/citrus forward ipas

Buckledown brewing's Clencher series has been delicious, they just canned Citra last month and its still drinking really well, and only 10 bucks for 6 cans

Yeah I certainly wouldn't go crazy for Hosplam, or very few limited IPAs.

Good stuff, but there's now lots of good stuff everywhere you look.

• Upvote (+1) 1

qLTVH6L.jpg

Proclamation pumping out a lot of great beers. really fortunate to have this brewery just a few minutes from campus.

will probably send this one + a couple others from Proclamation your way this summer @@Scalzo. see what you think of them

Oh nice, I was born in Newport 

dont drink many sours anymore tho (they mess w my system), but send me a Derivitave can or two, or whatever. would love to try something tasty brewed by brewers in the state i was born in... You are def blessed to be living where you do, so much good beer out there. Seems like every other brewery has the innate ability to get the most out of their ingredients, as if they dont even need to try, they just effortlessly extract these tropical and citrus juice flavors into their beer. There isnt much like that around here, outside FFF, Half Acre, Toppling Goliath, Surly, and a few others

edit: actually my frands/gf still drink sours. so whatever is clever

you're an old man scalzo

I'll definitely grab you a fresh derivative as well + holding onto a ba stout from proc that i'll send your way. are you still gonna want that tilquin squared? gonna grab some trillium goodies too ofc

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol, ill see whats up.

I can never say no to Tilquin Squared tho...My ideal box would be Tilquin Squared, a couple hoppy trillium bottles and a can or two from RI <3 anything else would be icing on the cake <3

you want a bottle of Oude Tart w Cherries? 

Its available for members, ill get you one right now