Scalzo

The Good Beer Thread

Found some goodies in Iowa. 

PseudoSue (along with some over Toppling Goliath regulars, nothing special though), Sixpoint Resin, Surly Abrasive.

Just the local Hyvee Liquor store in Cedar Falls. One of the guys there mentioned some of the Experiment Hop stuff, but I didn't really look into it. I'll be stopping by again on my way out of town, grabbing some Sue for friends at home, maybe something else if you can recommend anything.

EDIT: Anything else from Sixpoint worth the money? Resin was the only one that stood out.

new location is only a 25min drive away. some nice fresh Trillium brews are in your very near future bud. i know i'll be there stocking up pretty often this summer. hopefully i'll finally make the trip to Treehouse as well this summer.

i sampled the Melcher Street, Free Rise, and their Pier at the brewery. Melcher was super delicious.

Scaled Up is without a doubt one of the best, if not thee best, dipa i've ever blessed my tastebuds with. really wish i got a 64oz growler instead of 32

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yo Scalzo, I hit up the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange this past weekend, fun times. Kinda gimmicky but the beer was good. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Got a bonus at work, bought myself a few things-

PYzvdKU.jpg

ALLzkbo.jpg

YpFniOa.jpg

QQPYj2d.jpg

The last is from this Danish brewery To Ol, and it's described as a 'Sour Mash DIPA', although it falls under the 'Wild Ale' blanket, I suppose. It's a little too creamy, where I would like more carbonated hop character. It's tangy, sweet/sour. It's an oddball, for sure. I'll probably go back to the store and check out the other bottles from this brewery.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To Øl has a lot of interesting/oddball beers for sure. their Sur series are my favorite that i have tried from them. they also have really great labeling, for what it's worth.

Another bottle from Fantome that pours flat. I'm so tired of this.

I think 3 of my last 5 bottles (2x Printemps, Ete) have been completely flat from the bottle. So frustrating because I know they make great beer but I'm just about done getting screwed on these. 

I had some killer beers this weekend at my favorite local bar: The Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta, GA.

Old Wooden Head - Burnt Hickory Brewery - Imperial Double IPA - 10.5% ABV

Brew.jpg

Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery - Russian Imperial Stout - 10% ABV

Brew1.jpg

If anyone uses the Mobile App/Site - Untappd,  add me! User name is: MrHymae

https://untappd.com/user/MrHymae

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ballast Point is finally available in parts of KS so I can finally have Sculpin. 

Ballast Point's Victory at Sea - Imperial Porter is pretty legit.  I'm not a huge fan of porters but this one has Coffee and Vanilla which almost makes it taste like a stout.

Ballast Point's Victory at Sea - Imperial Porter is pretty legit. I'm not a huge fan of porters but this one has Coffee and Vanilla which almost makes it taste like a stout.

such a solid beer. easy to grt and affordable as well

rum barrel aged victory at sea was even better <3

not sure i'd consider anything from Ballast Point affordable. i'll shell out the cash for Victory at Sea because it's the tits, but it's hard to justify buying Sculpin when there are much better IPAs readily available for a few bucks cheaper.

name another tasty 10% stout for that price

a six pack for 14.99 is a steal. that and founders ris <3

agree on sculpin. this place bear me sells it for 11.99 tho. because they think 16.99 or whatever is absurd

a trill 10.5% stout in 6 packs with shelf life is why i'll buy them more often than anything else from Ballast Point, even though they're usually around $16 here

Hopslam from Bell's Brewery is dropping the 1st week of February.  It is one of my Top 5 IPAs great bottled and on drafts.

This year they are canning it for the first time.

Pretty pumped!

Did a side-by-side of Odell IPA and Two Hearted, since they're now both available near me in 12-pack cans. Both 7% abv, basically the same price, but Two Hearted has been my go-to IPA for a couple years now. 

Odell is a bit on the fruitier side, and 2H is little more dry, with bitter hops. Odell is not a fruit-heavy IPA, by any means, it's just slightly more so than 2H. 

Both very good. 2H wins, but I'll gladly pick up Odell again another time.

• Upvote (+1) 1