Scalzo

The Good Beer Thread

<3 Neeeeed tilquin and trillium this summer <3 

what was you bcbs status? I might be getting some regal tomorrow

I just want his one bottle of squared <3 

I have dramatically cut back on the sours, but itll be nice to have to open. Appreciate it Allurex

Yo Tilquin still sits around the shelves here. I could probably go out a whole case, easy.

Which tilquin?

Just the regular Gueuze. I think it's 2012/2014 but I don't remember.

Also, I said 'what the fuck' out loud in a liquor store when I saw this-

eXuqEQ3.jpg

Never thought I'd see it out here. Bought 2, drank one. Went back the next day and bought the last two. I haven't looked elsewhere but I might be able to find more.

With the new job and the upcoming christmas break I figured it was about time to step up so I dropped by an off licence on the way home

How did I do

oAKVMMQ.jpg

holy shit, you did amazing

those founders stouts <3 and that canitllon! and everytthing there looks solid... hell we dont even get Odell where I am at

and Beavertown, pretty sure their head brewer is Robert Plants son, thats awesome. Pls report back with your thoughts :)

I am no expert in pairing food and beer, so your guess is probably as good as mine.  

Usually the first beers you taste are better, because your palate is not worn out. That being said if there is any particular beer you really want to get a good feel for, open that one first. but that doesnt help you with the food so... for ham I would go with the Siren beer, its a smoked wheat beer(Grodziskie) I think the smokey flavors from the beer would pair up with the ham. The helles is probably the lightest beer there, and if you dont want your beer to compete with the food, then that is your best bet. Stouts usually hold up well with big bold flavors or desserts, in my experiences. 

The cantillon gueuze might be a good start as well. or Hansens OG 

Drink the Odell and Beavertown tonight or whenever, because those should be enjoyed as fresh as possible. The Odell probably wouldnt pair well w ham imo, but it would go well with spicy food or salad

wow great, tnx scalzo. was pretty much thinking anything but the sours and raspberry stout because they might be a bit overpowering with main course.

was drinking the beavertown as i read this and will have a couple other easy ipas and ales tonight

happy christmas
daniel

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am just amazed that you were able to get a lot of these american beers. Super interesting to see what its like in other international markets 

Founders Breakfast was one of the stouts I used to get every other other weekend, its that good imo. Coffee stouts dont get much better than that, and it hasnt changed in years. So good. Founders Imperial Stout too, one of my favorites. Thats one of the few beers that actually benefits from aging, but its so good fresh too. 

merry christmas, hope you enjoy them..... have you had any Cantillon or gueuze before? I am most interested in hearing what you have to say about those, and the stouts, as they are probably the boldest/most polarizing beers in the bunch

Yeh it is probably the best liquor store in ireland, not that I would know many, but seems to be the best in dublin so probably fair to say. Hard to get elsewhere I would imagine.

craft beers have only been popularised in the last 2-3 years. it was gaining so much ground that Guinness went to the trouble of making their own IPA (hophouse) which is as expected in-offensive as fuck. But because its guinness its basically on draught in every regular pub and I would imagine somewhat hurting the growth of the craft market.

never had a sour before, so excited to try, although wouldnt be surprised if i dont find it too enjoyable. 

looking forward to seeing how the founders compares to the o'haras leann follain, also a coffee stout and in the same way as you, one I get nearly every weekend

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guiness makes a beer called American Lager or something like that and it uses mosiac hops, something craft brewers are using to make incredible pales and ipas.

Im sure it has a big impact on availability and pricing. Just speculation but i dint think you are off at all

Guiness is am institution so yeah id expect to see it everywhere, regardless of quality

Also i wouldnt necessarily describe Cantillon as a sour. They are more known for their funk and than they are for their acidity. Im excited to hear what you think, but that style of beer is a lambic

Founders breakfast stout is so rich and decadent. Its a meal in itself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ok so real simple thoughts

Cantillon and OG were not what I expected. A lot lighter and easier to drink than I imagined. But I didnt find them that tasty, maybe it being the first time I just found it hard to get past the sourness, but again I didnt find it overly powerful, maybe they were too cold, probably like 6 or 7 degrees Celsius. I liked them but wouldnt be something I would be rushing out to buy again, especially given cost.

Havent had the breakfast stout yet. But the Lagunitas Cappuccino and Founders Imperial were both really tasty. Maybe a little heavier than I would prefer but v nice. Leann Follain is still my favourite though. Founders Rubaeus was nice, gorgeous raspberry flavour but a bit too light and maybe simple? Guy in the shop did recommend adding it as a head to one of the founders stouts, but for first time I kinda just wanted to try everything for what it was. 

Of the IPAs the Jackhammer has probably my favourite. The Odell - Peach Tree Shaker was rather disappointing. 

Really enjoyed this, practically a Pale Ale as well http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25482/183103/ 

My favourite has to be the Blue Sky Blue Sea. I never had a Gose before, are they all like this. Holy shit that sweetness and citrus/fruity flavour. Like an IPA but without an overly strong hoppy twang. Of everything it is the one thing I cant wait to try again.

k098ufZ.jpg

im not a fan of gose  B)

hapaxlegomena Ill save Transient Artisan Ales Salarium for you, i dont plan on drinking it

• Upvote (+1) 1