Sign in to follow this  
Savagearbiter

All Reasons Why Sprint Is Bad In Halo

If sprint can't be removed, I think a turbo button would be the best option, but even then, just the old school movement would be way better.

maybe you can turbo every 30 seconds for 10 seconds? so it'd be like a power up everyone has at all times.

would it slow the game down waiting for your turbo to charge to make a push? 

The reason for adding sprint they say is to make you feel like a "super soldier". But in reality it does the opposite; you feel weaker because you have less power to take down enemies because they can sprint away from you.

I the the H5 Beta sprint is still primarily used as a defensive option (lengthening kill times/making Spartans less effective at killing), and the delayed shield recharge does next to nothing to stop it from happening.

Halo is never going to be good again unless 343 sucks up their pride and removes this mistake for good.

My brother who is an avid CS:GO player and spectator was watching me play it. He described all the new enemies as incredibly 'gay' and then later on that day as I was describing the 'immersion' reasons for said abilities to a friend he then commented saying 'all it does is add frailty to the Spartans, they're more comparable to pathetic marines now'. I completely agreed with that statement.

I don't feel powerful as a spartan anymore.

There's nothing super in these superhumans anymore.

I'm sluggishly sprinting across the map, being deterred by bullets now instead of charging on a weak foe without a flinch.

I'm not a spartan playing at a superhuman 100% anymore. I am weak, tire easily and my armour is now heavy over my body. 

I cannot use weapons efficiently anymore. I must use a smart scope or bring the weapon to my face to aim instead of having the scope linked to my HUD from my hip as I fire for maximum efficiency.

I require comms to tell me when weapons will drop on the map as my brain is now too slow to understand what a timer says.

I have never felt so weak as a Spartan in this Halo universe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Imagine chasing someone in a full circle around the entire bottom level of Warlock, unable to kill them because of sprint.

Imagine how the ability to sprint up pink street would have completely ruined Midship FFA.

Imagine trying to hold a Construct Slayer setup when enemy players can run from top gold to closed purple in 2.5 seconds.

Imagine trying to spawn kill players in courtyard on Pit CTF when they can all sprint runway to your courtyard 2x faster than your teammate can run the flag.

Imagine the 2 Halo games that have had sprint being by far the most hated of the series.

Imagine trying to do so many things right for Halo, and ultimately causing it's downfall, because even though the bulk of your most dedicated fan base is telling you why sprint ruins Halo, you can't see it yourself.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think the biggest problem with it is the stuff pertaining to the geography of the map. You need to make the map bigger all around. Whatever stuff would be on a map for people to walk up, jump on, go under, whatever, it's all gotta be further away from everything else. Like the OP said, that makes places where fights never actually happen, and people don't actually go. 

I just played one game of Breakout. That map is really annoying to play. The gametype's got potential, but within two rounds I realized that each team gets one BR on their side, on top of a tower. My game was 6 rounds, and probably 3 or 4 of them I got picked off from across the map because the sight lines are massive, and the cover on the map is not big enough to stop it. Like yeah, you can hide behind it, but you have to keep moving because you know the rest of the enemy team is gonna come and finish you off. Maybe I had a bad team, but still. It wasn't fun. 

I obviously don't like anything else that sprint brings to the game, but I think the effect it as on the layout of maps is the biggest. If the competitive community takes sprint out of the game, the out of the box maps are now shit, and they're forced to resort to the forge, and now you get bland maps because they all look the fucking same. 

maybe you can turbo every 30 seconds for 10 seconds? so it'd be like a power up everyone has at all times.

would it slow the game down waiting for your turbo to charge to make a push?

i don't think so, you'd be running at normal speed so you wouldn't be able to run away like you can with sprint, and trying to run away when everyone has a turbo wouldn't work be cause you could just be shot.

The object is to have your gun up at all times, then a lot of the problems sprint causes are at least alleviated.

No offense to anyone, but I think a mod should delete half the posts in this thread because they aren't on-topic as to why sprint is bad.

If you want to talk to other people, or propose your turbo idea, or talk about how stupid of an argument super soldier is, or whatever, there's other threads for that.

This thread should be nothing more than an organized list of why sprinting is bad that we can cite to other people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint skews map flow, predictability, and takes away any kind of movement decision making.

There's no "I want to push rockets while blue team have ring 2 or should i cover?". Instead of being forced to risk challenging or rushing, there's just sprinting through like they're not even there. No responsibility/punishment for any poor decisions because you can just undo it.

I know it's easy to yell at 343 constantly about how sprint is awful and needs to be taken out but that hasn’t exactly worked yet. And for all we know the decision isn’t even 343’s to make and some suits at Microsoft might be to blame for pushing these things. Either way it doesn’t really matter, because long well thought out posts here and on waypoint just don’t seem to be doing the trick, neither are polls.

We already got a response out of one of those sprint videos why not make more and send them to 343 on Twitter. Screw montages with multi kills let’s start cranking out some sprint montages instead. I really know what else to do, posting on forums isn’t going to influence the masses and that’s pretty much are only shot at this point.  Somehow we need to show everyone how shitty sprint is, there are more than enough good players here that can get away in ridiculous situations in this game. Record that shit, slap some shitty music on it and send it in to 343. We really don’t have anything to lose, if anyone has any better ideas I’d be happy to help.

Oh and I should probably post this here as well, I’ve already posted it in the feedback thread here and on waypoint (note the dislikes). I decided to add some music for shits and giggles.

And on a side note, another reason sprint is bad for Halo is that it has made the entire communtiy worse because of it's addiotion. It doesn't matter if someone is for it or against it, everyone has a strong opinion on the matter and is willing to debate that everywhere. It's made what was once just petty arguments about the AR and Radar into basically an all out war between the different communities. If Sprint was never added we'd still all be arguing about this bullshit, I don't ever remember death threats being thrown around like they are now. It almost seems like common place, it's either directed at 343, or at us for being "crybabies".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ahhhh. "Sprint Sucks" threads never get old. I am not being sarcastic either. However, "Give the dev a chance" threads get really old very fucking fast.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's probably been said multiple times just in this thread alone, but Sprint goes against what 343 are trying to make and advertise Halo 5 as.

It prolongs encounters and battles between players with Sprint being present as someone who's down a shot will try their best to sprint away from action towards cover or their teammates. Of course this won't happen 100% of the time, there will be instances where they are punished but a lot of the time, this is not the case.

343 are saying H5 is a fast paced arena shooter, yet they're so adamant that sprint should be in, even though it slows the game down more than any other mechanic.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We try to blame the sprint problem on microsoft and CoD but as far as we know there are 2 individuals that want sprint in Halo, Quin and Josh Holmes, so if anyone is going to direct hate to someone it has to be towards them. Giving hate to 343i as a whole and microsoft is just unfair without proof. However, It is even more unfair to ban anyone directing hate to the source (Josh and Quinn)

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know what the biggest take away from sprint is?

There has never been more desire from the Halo fan base to get rid of something inside Halo.

If we can manage 50/50 on Waypoint there may be hope.

Everyone should start raiding that thread and putting 4's.

But in all seriousness if 343 isn't going to remove Sprint, they should at least prevent it from being a get out of jail free card by disabling sprint for 4-6 seconds when under fire. and each time you get hit, the clock resets.

I can't understand how 50 % would want it to stay. Doesn’t the type of gameplay sprint entails bother them?

Most of them don't notice, just like we don't notice when we are winning 30-5 because it doesn't get annoying because the people your playing against aren't smart enough to run away and instead just run into you. To them it speeds everything up because they get to find something to spray with their AR faster.

Or that's at least the only possible reason I can think of that actually explains why they think that. Besides the ones who just copy/pase what 343 tells them.

The best argument against sprint is that Halo doesn't need sprint.

Cursed Lemon brought this up in a podcast. What problem does sprint solve in the game?

In Halo 1, 2 or 3 was there ever a situation where you thought "I need sprint right now"?

By adding sprint 343 have created their own problem where sprint IS necessary by basing the entire fucking game around it. Now all the maps are huge and the base movement speed is slow, so of course we need sprint now. But if the maps had just been scaled down to the same size as they were in Halo 1 and 2 then sprint would be completely unnecessary.

The glass was already full but 343 insists they need to keep on adding water to it.

All sprint does in Halo is add an extra button you need to push in order to do something you could already do.

CoD NEEDS sprint because if you didn't have sprint you'd never be able to go from cover to cover since you die in a single shot. Battlefield needs sprint because you spawn on a giant map with 64 players with tanks all around you. Sprint was put in these games because they wouldn't work without sprint.

343 has put sprint into Halo 5 because they want to cater to non-Halo fans because they want money, even if it ruins the game play. Ugh.

• Upvote (+1) 6

In no particular order:

1. Sprint reduces the penalty of the respawn timer by allowing spawning players to get back to a desirable position faster than they would be able to otherwise.

2. Sprint increases a player's margin for error by allowing faster access to and from engagements.

3. Sprint makes it more difficult for a player's location to be tracked and communicated. This snowballs into affecting spawning via positional influence rapidly enough to make some spawning situation seem unnecessarily chaotic or random. Additionally this negatively affects an individual's ability to predictably grenade or shoot at corners and doorways.

4. Sprint as a base trait results in maps in which the distances between cover rarely feel ideal yet often feel either stretched out or too short. This can also snowball into longer than ideal lines of sight, giving more power to snipers while reducing the relative utility of other weapons (it's harder to hit longer distance shots beyond red reticle range, especially with the BR and Magnum thanks to their recoil).

5. Sprint is a dominant trait; including it negatively affects other aspects of gameplay and map design that would have benefited other traits such as jumping and throwing grenades because so much of the game has to be built around it. It stretches the "gun, grenades, melee" triangle into a "gun, grenades, melee, movement" kite where movement occupies the largest point.

6. When played at higher levels not a single Halo game with Sprint comes close to the pace of a Halo CE 2v2 or Halo 2/ZBNS Reach 4v4 played by the same or equally skilled players. These games feel more immersive because the player is actively doing more throughout the majority of the game, whereas in Sprint-Halo a lot of time on many maps is given up to carefully holding a position and attempting to bait a single kill at a time from the opposing team.

7. Sprinting forces the player to lower their weapon, thus it is inherently defensive in nature and favours a player attempting to reposition himself. Without Sprint the state of combat is maintained until either playr dies or both fully regain their shields.

• Upvote (+1) 2