CyReN

Star Wars: Battlefront Discussion

if its a Battlefield clone with Star Wars skins I don't think I will get hyped enough to buy it straight away..

It will be

Small clip of Battlefront at the end of the new Force Awakens trailer. Seems to be CGI but I think gameplay will be shown at the event

Here's the small footage of Battlefront we see at the end of the trailer

MeekBoringKiskadee.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wel guess we just deal with those things differently then...

I'm just glad that I don't have to wait for e3 to find out if this game is worth waiting for...if its a Battlefield clone with Star Wars skins I don't think I will get hyped enough to buy it straight away..

Will agree to disagree, but waiting 2 more months for a HUGE conference is worth the wait for me. It's now not going to be as big. If it ends up being a disappoinment now, that kills E3 hype even more.

Even if it is a Battlefield game with a Starwars skin, as long as they don't cheap out with the $70 price tag by limting the game i'll be happy.

Starwars > Battlefield

Will agree to disagree, but waiting 2 more months for a HUGE conference is worth the wait for me. It's now not going to be as big. If it ends up being a disappoinment now, that kills E3 hype even more.

Even if it is a Battlefield game with a Starwars skin, as long as they don't cheap out with the $70 price tag by limting the game i'll be happy.

Starwars > Battlefield

Dude what better time can there then a STAR WARS convention, just 24 hrs after a new TFA teaser release. No e3 hype could ever get close what I feel now..

Nothing to disagree on the last part!

That piece of footage is just amazing...

AP seems to let it slip on we will see in the trailer and in the future: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b92adeca75b7425a84fe4bb02b115db0/star-wars-battlefront-unleashed-fan-convention

The Force isn't merely awakening on the big screen. It's also returning to the video game realm.

"Star Wars: Battlefront" publisher Electronic Arts and Swedish developer DICE showcased their next-generation rendition of the "Star Wars" multiplayer shooter Friday at Star Wars Celebration, the annual fan extravaganza celebrating the sci-fi franchise.

The new iteration of "Battlefront" takes place amid the conflicts of the original film trilogy and is scheduled for release Nov. 17 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

"Battlefront" will focus on frenzied shoot-outs between up to 40 players portraying Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire forces. In a demonstration of the game's multiplayer mode, a team of jetpack-equipped rebels were shown carving their way through the woodsy Endor while Stormtroopers charged at them on foot, on speeders and within walkers, including a hulking AT-AT war machine.

Other locales teased in game footage included the snowy Hoth, sandy Tatooine and gooey Sullust, a lava-spewing planet referenced in 1983's "Return of the Jedi," as well as many "Star Wars" games and novels, but rarely ever seen. "Battlefront" won't solely be centered on expendable ground troops. The game will reward sharpshooters with the ability to embody such iconic characters as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Sith baddie Darth Vader on the battlefield.

"You can storm in as the Dark Lord himself," said "Battlefront" design director Niklas Fegraeus. "You can wield a lightsaber. You can Force choke the rebel scum, which is fun. Basically, you are the boss of the battle. This means that you, as Vader, can lead your team to victory — if you play well."

The action will also take to the skies with players engaging in dogfights with TIE Fighters, X-wings and the Millennium Falcon, though the developers were coy about how battles would alternate between ground and air combat.

"We wanted it to feel authentic to this universe," said "Battlefront" executive producer Patrick Bach. "You can get into these vehicles, from speeder bikes to X-wings, TIE fighters, AT-STs, AT-ATs. There's a wide range of vehicles that we wanted to realize. The difficulty with a game is that they need to be balanced with the troops on the ground."

"Battlefront" will also include a free downloadable level available two weeks before "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" opens in theaters Dec. 18. It's set on Jakku, the battle-scarred desert planet glimpsed in "Force Awakens" teasers. The expansion, dubbed "Battle of Jakku," will explore the moment following "Return of the Jedi" when the New Republic confronted Imperial holdouts on the previously unseen Outer Rim enclave.

"You never get to see it in the new movie, so it was this brilliant opportunity to recreate the Battle of Jakku, which you only see the remnants of in the movie," said Bach. "In the game, you actually get to play the Battle of Jakku. It's the same place from the new movie but 30 years earlier."

The original "Battlefront" was released in 2005 by publisher LucasArts and developer Pandemic Studios. It dispatched with traditional "Star Wars" storytelling in favor of shoot-'em-up action.

The forthcoming "Battlefront," which was first teased at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in 2013, marks the first title in a 10-year deal between the Walt Disney Co. and Electronic Arts Inc. to create new "Star Wars" games.

"We didn't want this to be a normal licensing relationship," said LucasArts digital business vice president Ada Duan at Celebration. "We didn't want them to just make movie games. We wanted a deep partnership to create brand-new experiences."

Was hoping for larger than 20 v 20, but that will suffice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm so glad that offline slpitscreen was confirmed! Looks like I'm probably buying this game now if it doesn't have ADS. Given that the game is allowing you to switch between 1st and 3rd person like the originals, there's a decent chance that DICE will not make the gunplay like Battlefield and keep aiming like the originals.

Gameinformer also let it slip: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/star_wars_battlefront/b/playstation4/archive/2015/04/17/an-impressive-first-look-at-star-wars-battlefront.aspx

- Scripted demo and not live

- Custom loadouts seem to be in. One soldier had an energy shield similar to the Trade Federation Droideka equipped

- Orbital Bombardments once you make a connection to an Uplink Station

- There is a toggle between first and third person

- Power Ups on the map for shields, ability to pilot a Walker, and to use Heroes like Darth Vader

- Rebels seem to be more coordinated than the Empire. Writer thinks the Empire is controlled by AI. Bots may be back? Article later says that while the max players is 40 the min is 8

- Dogfights with X-Wings and Tie-Fighters are in but no specifics

- Split Screen is in and you will be able to share gear 

- Mode played is called Walker Assault. " Fegraeus says that Battlefront is first and foremost a multiplayer game, but it also caters to people who don't want to play with others or be connected to the internet"

- SP is called Battlefront Missions

- Then the trailer:

Along with a small taste of the Battle of Endor demo I saw, this quick-moving teaser showcases a shot of the rebel encampment on Hoth, an aerial canyon battle on Tatooine, Boba Fett taking to the skies with his je tpack, a star destroyer hovering precariously over Endor's forest, and an amazing shot of a rebel soldier in a jet pack firing a rocket launcher shot at an AT-ST. The final shot is of a TIE Fighter factory on the Outer Rim planet Sullust. Not all of the battles are recreations of fights from the motion picture trilogy.One other thing to note: Not all of the rebel troopers in the Battle of Endor footage are human, implying perhaps that players can pick their race from the outset of play.

- The free Force Awakens DLC comes out December 8th. December 1st if you pre-ordered the game

• Upvote (+1) 1

Seems like we might be going the old school Battlefront way of story. No traditional SP. Series of missions that can be played alone or with a friend: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/17/star-wars-celebration-battlefront-does-not-have-a-campaign

DICE assuring fans that Battlefront is not a Battlefield clone:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/17/star-wars-celebration-why-battlefront-isnt-just-a-battlefield-clone

No space battles. No prequel-era settings at launch:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/17/star-wars-celebration-battlefront-does-not-have-space-battles-prequel-era?watch

Falcon flyable. Each hero has unique traits

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/17/star-wars-celebration-boba-fett-jedi-millennium-falcon-playable-in-battlefront

• Upvote (+1) 1

Praying for space battles, attacking the enemy's massive ship in Battlefront 2 was HYPE!

Edit: No space battles? Well that is my interest gone

No space battles is somewhat disappointing, but glad they will still have flyable vehicles present. 

Glad they are sticking to the roots of the first two games, or at least it sounds like they are. 

I'm so glad that offline slpitscreen was confirmed! Looks like I'm probably buying this game now if it doesn't have ADS. Given that the game is allowing you to switch between 1st and 3rd person like the originals, there's a decent chance that DICE will not make the gunplay like Battlefield and keep aiming like the originals.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-battlefront-preview-it-looks-beautiful-but-will-it-be-fun/

There’s no aim-down-sights to be found in first-person, just a reticule in the center of the screen that feels more like classic Battlefront than DICE’s Battlefield. At one point, the trooper picks up a heavy duty sniper blaster and scopes in. At another point, he switches from first-person view to third-person and runs around hip-firing his blaster rifle. Like Battlefront 2, this game will allow for switching between first-person and third-person at any time.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The video about no space battles did say that there will be a lot of future content. Maybe space battles will be a future add-on. You have to remember this is DICE's first game and only have been working on it for a couple years. So far after reading through everything, I'd say were in pretty good hands. 

Also from the PC Gamer article:

DICE didn’t want to talk much about gameplay modes or features, though it did mention the Partner system, which works a bit like squads in Battlefield. Players can choose one Partner to always be able to see in-game, and always be able to spawn next to. But more importantly, you’ll be able to share item/weapon unlocks with your partner. Battlefront definitely has some kind of progression system for unlocking new weapons, and your partner will be able to use anything you’ve unlocked, even if they’re a lower level.

The video about no space battles did say that there will be a lot of future content. Maybe space battles will be a future add-on. You have to remember this is DICE's first game and only have been working on it for a couple years. So far after reading through everything, I'd say were in pretty good hands. 

Hopefully. Space battles in Battlefront 2 were really fun.

I think space battles were fun, but I think there is a little nostalgia there. 

There was no real combat in the ships, but it was more of a go blow up this, that, and the other thing on the main vessel. Load up a bunch of troops, land on their vessel. Repeat until you win. 

Maybe the could have improved on the ship to ship combat, but I think that it isn't AS big of a deal as I've seen it made out to be.