CyReN

Star Wars: Battlefront Discussion

32 v 32 is perfect to be honest. Hoping that means that there can be 32 actual players PLUS AI in matches on each team. Certain exemptions would be fine such as smaller maps, custom games, etc. But on large maps and space battles there should be 32 actual players plus x amount (possibly up to 32) of AI, making it 64 v 64, that would make more interesting in my opinion.

I don't think there will be AI in MP. Its most likely using the FrostBite engine and I don't recall AI usually being used in BF games. 

I don't think there will be AI in MP. Its most likely using the FrostBite engine and I don't recall AI usually being used in BF games. 

There's gonna be A.I in the campaign. If the campaign is going to be like the other Battlefronts where it's the MP game play, with a narrative and different OBJs then i don't see why it's not a possibility. 

Unless there are more complications through coding and such i don't know about. 

If they want to stay true to the original Battlefront games, then they will put AI into multiplayer. Although AI doesn't pose a huge factor in games, they actually weren't utterly useless (like in Titanfall).

I hope there's some sort of clan functionality

All that video did was make me hope we get a mode where we have to destroy the Death Star

• Upvote (+1) 1

If they want to stay true to the original Battlefront games, then they will put AI into multiplayer. Although AI doesn't pose a huge factor in games, they actually weren't utterly useless (like in Titanfall).

Judging from the development team and from what has been announced so far, don't expect anything far from a Battlefield 4-ish game. There likely won't be bots.

Judging from the development team and from what has been announced so far, don't expect anything far from a Battlefield 4-ish game. There likely won't be bots.

A gamer can dream can't he?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, if it doesn't support offline play, I won't buy it. I still play Battlefront 1&2 to this day with my OG Xbox and PC, and if they didn't support offline play, I'd be screwed. Meanwhile, I can't even play Battlefield 4 if Comcast decides to not work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There likely won't be bots.

Don't say that. No bot matches means possibly no Galactic Conquest. Perfect 1v1 game. I just can't see 64 people staying the entire game of GC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't say that. No bot matches means possibly no Galactic Conquest. Perfect 1v1 game. I just can't see 64 people staying the entire game of GC.

I wouldn't say GC is the perfect 1v1. I have my issues with BF 1 and 2. A.I influencing the game kind of bothers me. Doesn't matter how good i play, my A.I just can't seem to compete against my buddy's team and i'm destroying. 

With that said GC can still be fun. You just can't care whether you win or lose lol 

This usually happens when a thread dies down. Especially in GG

Yeah, it's all good.

Still stoked for this game.

I have a Battlefront 2 Steam key.. Anyone want it? It's kinda brutal on lower end PCs so keep that in mind.

Well...you must have to have a REALLY lower end PC for Battlefront 2 to lag. I mean, it was a PS2/PSP game...

I wouldn't say GC is the perfect 1v1. I have my issues with BF 1 and 2. A.I influencing the game kind of bothers me. Doesn't matter how good i play, my A.I just can't seem to compete against my buddy's team and i'm destroying. 

With that said GC can still be fun. You just can't care whether you win or lose lol 

Oh Gojira. Influencing the AI is half of the GC metagame. At least in Battlefront 1, kind of like spawn trapping in Halo, you always want to give your opponent the shittiest command posts possible, while giving yourself the nice ones. It was easy to punish mistakes in Battlefront 1. While Battlefront 2 got the better strategy layer, Battlefront 1 simply had better gameplay. Bespin: Cloud City, and Rhen Var: Citadel are classic examples of where good execution of control is needed to win. The biggest flaw in GC in Battlefront 1 is that, if you're the bad guy, you might be forced to destroy a planet that you don't want to, which kind of sucks.

Your issues with AI do have some warrant though. The AI in Battlefront 2 is significantly worse than in Battlefront 1, and I'm currently investigating whether or not this is a universal issue, or an issue with porting. So far the AI are identically bad in both the PC and PS2 versions of the game, and I'm looking into the Xbox version right now. If memory serves correct, the Xbox version got a lot of small, special features (and well, a crap ton of fun, cheap DLC. <_<     ) that the other games did not, especially in regards to AI, so it might be better.

Battlefront 2, at least on PC/PS2, doesn't have the tactical layer BF1 did. The AI has "player aggro", which means if you put your crosshair over them, they will immediately forget their surroundings and tunnel vision you worse than a bk in Halo 3. Sure, sometimes you can use this to your advantage, but it just encourages standard "genocide" tactics without much diversity. In addition to player aggro, they also do really, really dumb stuff around other bots, often forgetting to shoot each other, which means that the "frontlines" that populated BF1 are completely nonexistent in BF2, and they'll just walk past each other, shoot a few rounds, and endlessly trade command posts. Fortunately for BF2, Heroes largely helped the bad AI tremendously. In fact, I remember testing a modded GC in Battlefront 2 where you could only play as the Battlefront's Hero, and it brought back all of the old manipulation strategies from the original game.

I know I have and will criticize Battlefront 2 a lot, but its only because I love it so much.  :wub:  

Yeah, I don't know what kind of style DICE is going for their Battlefront, but a Battlefront without AI isn't really Battlefront. Same with Galactic Conquest. Aside from kind of crappy gameplay, BF2's GC was entertaining for hours on end, and I think that a strategy layer would work really well with a Dice's BF, especially if the gameplay is similar to Battlefield.

Imagine online ranked galactic conquest

yus plz.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well...you must have to have a REALLY lower end PC for Battlefront 2 to lag. I mean, it was a PS2/PSP game...

Oh Gojira. Influencing the AI is half of the GC metagame. At least in Battlefront 1, kind of like spawn trapping in Halo, you always want to give your opponent the shittiest command posts possible, while giving yourself the nice ones. It was easy to punish mistakes in Battlefront 1. While Battlefront 2 got the better strategy layer, Battlefront 1 simply had better gameplay. Bespin: Cloud City, and Rhen Var: Citadel are classic examples of where good execution of control is needed to win. The biggest flaw in GC in Battlefront 1 is that, if you're the bad guy, you might be forced to destroy a planet that you don't want to, which kind of sucks.

Your issues with AI do have some warrant though. The AI in Battlefront 2 is significantly worse than in Battlefront 1, and I'm currently investigating whether or not this is a universal issue, or an issue with porting. So far the AI are identically bad in both the PC and PS2 versions of the game, and I'm looking into the Xbox version right now. If memory serves correct, the Xbox version got a lot of small, special features (and well, a crap ton of fun, cheap DLC. <_<     ) that the other games did not, especially in regards to AI, so it might be better.

Battlefront 2, at least on PC/PS2, doesn't have the tactical layer BF1 did. The AI has "player aggro", which means if you put your crosshair over them, they will immediately forget their surroundings and tunnel vision you worse than a bk in Halo 3. Sure, sometimes you can use this to your advantage, but it just encourages standard "genocide" tactics without much diversity. In addition to player aggro, they also do really, really dumb stuff around other bots, often forgetting to shoot each other, which means that the "frontlines" that populated BF1 are completely nonexistent in BF2, and they'll just walk past each other, shoot a few rounds, and endlessly trade command posts. Fortunately for BF2, Heroes largely helped the bad AI tremendously. In fact, I remember testing a modded GC in Battlefront 2 where you could only play as the Battlefront's Hero, and it brought back all of the old manipulation strategies from the original game.

I know I have and will criticize Battlefront 2 a lot, but its only because I love it so much.  :wub:  

Yeah, I don't know what kind of style DICE is going for their Battlefront, but a Battlefront without AI isn't really Battlefront. Same with Galactic Conquest. Aside from kind of crappy gameplay, BF2's GC was entertaining for hours on end, and I think that a strategy layer would work really well with a Dice's BF, especially if the gameplay is similar to Battlefield.

I know it's better to control 2 bases rather than 3 because you have more map control that way. Something i've learned from playing KoTH and domination in CoD. I do these things, i out slay, yet i still lose everytime to my friend.

And the thing is i would destroy my buddy in a 1v1 in Halo or any other FPS that's not CoD(since it's pretty CoD is pretty much 50/50 foreveryone).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would anyone else want to see some remakes from Battlefront I and II? I was a pretty big fan of the Bespin maps from the first one. I wouldn't mind seeing those maps added in again along with some other classics for nostalgia purposes. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know it's better to control 2 bases rather than 3 because you have more map control that way. Something i've learned from playing KoTH and domination in CoD. I do these things, i out slay, yet i still lose everytime to my friend.

And the thing is i would destroy my buddy in a 1v1 in Halo or any other FPS that's not CoD(since it's pretty CoD is pretty much 50/50 foreveryone).

Do you have any examples of you losing when you play? Do you and your friend have the same difficulty setting? (I have no idea how multiplayer AI works, but having the same setting between players is what I've always done.)

Losing every time? Does your friend make you play Republic? XD

Rebels>Empire

CIS>>>>>Republic

There is a LOT of meta to the original Battlefront which isn't always...intuitive. For example, if you want to get somewhere quickly, you should probably side-roll there...its the rocket jumping of Battlefront, but it makes way less sense.

Battlefront is unique in that its less about you vs some guy, but you vs the logistics of the battlefront.

For example, lets say you're playing Bespin: Platforms, easily the most iconic map of the series. Now say you're playing as the Republic, and your friend is part of the CIS. The obvious objective is to get the Extractor, right? But your friend knows that too, so he is going to spawn as a Droideka and beat you to it, and since he's a ****ing Droideka, he is going to be able to hold the Extractor easily, and you're going to lose...if he gets there first. The most common strategy on 1v1 Bespin: Platforms is to spawn at one of your side command posts, and then immediately jump in a starfighter, land on the extractor (preferably in front of the enemy bridge), and lob grenades, and make sure AI Droidekas go into combat mode while they're still on the enemy bridge.  Your friend should be easily identifiable and you should force him into combat mode or destroy him while he is just a roller.

Then, once you have firm control over the Extractor, you SHOULDN'T push into the enemy base. Instead, become a Clone Sniper, and just abuse the frontline you've established...think about it. You have an excellent LoS on all the droids coming to defend the bridge, while all of your clones are tucked away inside the bridge, away from your friend if he wants to try counter-sniping.

Now, the beauty of Bespin: Platforms, and Battlefront in general, is that your friend can definitely counter this strategy by grabbing a starfighter, and try and capture your side command posts, and even your main command post, to either force you off the Extractor by causing a drain of reinforcements, or he can even purposely keep you on the Extractor so he can keep you trapped between a hard place and a Droideka. But there are ways of countering that, and so on and so forth. 

Now, not all maps are as great as the Bespin maps, or the Rhen Var maps, or the Naboo maps. Sometimes you have to play on Kashyyyk: Islands as Empire...the only way to beat Kashyyyk: Islands as Empire is to either not play it (read: blow it up), or be a Battlefront god. Some maps are blatantly bias to one side, and you have to account for that with either your faction's special ability, or by using the right planetary bonus. (Vehicle heavy map? Use sabotage. Clustered close-quarters map? Jedi Hero it is.

Would anyone else want to see some remakes from Battlefront I and II? I was a pretty big fan of the Bespin maps from the first one. I wouldn't mind seeing those maps added in again along with some other classics for nostalgia purposes. 

Ehhhhhh...maybe they could throw one or two in there, but Battlefront 1 maps weren't even balanced very well in Battlefront 2. I'm more excited for the new environments DICE creates.

Do you have any examples of you losing when you play? Do you and your friend have the same difficulty setting? (I have no idea how multiplayer AI works, but having the same setting between players is what I've always done.)

Losing every time? Does your friend make you play Republic? XD

Rebels>Empire

CIS>>>>>Republic

There is a LOT of meta to the original Battlefront which isn't always...intuitive. For example, if you want to get somewhere quickly, you should probably side-roll there...its the rocket jumping of Battlefront, but it makes way less sense.

Battlefront is unique in that its less about you vs some guy, but you vs the logistics of the battlefront.

For example, lets say you're playing Bespin: Platforms, easily the most iconic map of the series. Now say you're playing as the Republic, and your friend is part of the CIS. The obvious objective is to get the Extractor, right? But your friend knows that too, so he is going to spawn as a Droideka and beat you to it, and since he's a ****ing Droideka, he is going to be able to hold the Extractor easily, and you're going to lose...if he gets there first. The most common strategy on 1v1 Bespin: Platforms is to spawn at one of your side command posts, and then immediately jump in a starfighter, land on the extractor (preferably in front of the enemy bridge), and lob grenades, and make sure AI Droidekas go into combat mode while they're still on the enemy bridge.  Your friend should be easily identifiable and you should force him into combat mode or destroy him while he is just a roller.

Then, once you have firm control over the Extractor, you SHOULDN'T push into the enemy base. Instead, become a Clone Sniper, and just abuse the frontline you've established...think about it. You have an excellent LoS on all the droids coming to defend the bridge, while all of your clones are tucked away inside the bridge, away from your friend if he wants to try counter-sniping.

Now, the beauty of Bespin: Platforms, and Battlefront in general, is that your friend can definitely counter this strategy by grabbing a starfighter, and try and capture your side command posts, and even your main command post, to either force you off the Extractor by causing a drain of reinforcements, or he can even purposely keep you on the Extractor so he can keep you trapped between a hard place and a Droideka. But there are ways of countering that, and so on and so forth. 

Now, not all maps are as great as the Bespin maps, or the Rhen Var maps, or the Naboo maps. Sometimes you have to play on Kashyyyk: Islands as Empire...the only way to beat Kashyyyk: Islands as Empire is to either not play it (read: blow it up), or be a Battlefront god. Some maps are blatantly bias to one side, and you have to account for that with either your faction's special ability, or by using the right planetary bonus. (Vehicle heavy map? Use sabotage. Clustered close-quarters map? Jedi Hero it is.

Ehhhhhh...maybe they could throw one or two in there, but Battlefront 1 maps weren't even balanced very well in Battlefront 2. I'm more excited for the new environments DICE creates.

Well we definitely play Battlefront 2 more than 1. I was more of a single player game back in the day. Even though i definitely played a ton of MP growing up i never really took the time to get realy good a ta game til H3 when i finally got XBL in 08.

So i didn't really consider mechanics, maps design, etc. I just played it because i thought it was fun and i loved/love Star Wars. Which is why i'm more of a fan of Battlefront 2. IMO it was the better game considering the new stuff added. Especially hero more.

When we play GC i usually give him the stormtroopers just beause i'm the type of guy who is willing to be the better host instead of being that guy "MY CONTROLLER MY RULES ALWAYS". Obviously i will do that from time to time, but i don't mind hookin' a brotha up.

So i'll usually take Republic and he usually takes Empire although sometimes i take Empire.

SOme examples? I unno it's been about a year, but i jus tremember at the very beginning of the match i was doing really good. Pushed for main command post, but i look at the score and we're losing. Or anytime i'd take overa base his AI awould be taking over another(not him). It just felt like he constantly had the AI on his side. I blame it on the luck of the AI. He's one those guys who's really luck when it comes to playing games. I don't soley blame it on that, i mean he can be a good at games, he's no noob(though he can be), but everytime we've play the board game LIFE, he'd get doctor EVERY TIME. One game he didn't get it, but later on landed on a spave to trade careers with someone or something. I know luck is just probability, but chance always seems to be on his side.

And so i blame the AI. I don't believe him to be on a whole 'nother level of skill considering i beat him more than he beats me in Tekken(we both play a lot of Tekken) and he wouldn't have a chance in Halo.

Well we definitely play Battlefront 2 more than 1. I was more of a single player game back in the day. Even though i definitely played a ton of MP growing up i never really took the time to get realy good a ta game til H3 when i finally got XBL in 08.

So i didn't really consider mechanics, maps design, etc. I just played it because i thought it was fun and i loved/love Star Wars. Which is why i'm more of a fan of Battlefront 2. IMO it was the better game considering the new stuff added. Especially hero more.

Battlefront 1 was an infinitely better single player game than Battlefront 2, so good choice. And that's understandable, Halo 3 was the first MP game I got good at. The only reason I know what I'm doing in Battlefront is because my immense playtime of the game retroactively helped me when I began playing MP with a few guys.

HERESY! JK, but the AI's player aggro really got to me in Battlefront 2, and it makes the game stale. In addition to that, the battlefront's in BF2 were less fun than the original, since it had a strong emphasis on multiplayer, and sometimes it even made less sense for multiplayer than BF1. Take, for example, Kashyyyk: Docks. It made fun use out of an infantry vs vehicles playstyle by giving the vehicle based side powerful tanks and utilities, while giving the infantry sniper sightlines and disposable reinforcements (the native wookie faction). In the BF2, Kashyyyk is...a flat plane? Both sides get vehicles, both sides get sniper sightlines that bring all non-AI infantry movement to a halt. Kashyyyk Docks had 6 command posts with different tactical value that promoted strategy. BF2 Kashyyyk had 4 command posts that rarely changed hands, and promoted no other strategy than "snipe people, or murder them with vehicles". Some Battlefront 2 maps were good, as some Battlefront 1 maps were bad, but those are the exceptions.

The biggest credit I give BF2 is for all of its new options regarding multiplayer, and I feel like I'm going to finally be able to judge BF2 in the same vacuum as BF1 once I finally get the Xbox version of BF2, which, if my memory serves correctly, has a different AI than Battlefront 2 for PS2 and PC. That said, I don't like some solid stuff about BF2. Player awards and award weapons can go die in a fire. AI commands recieved a downgrade from an already crappy system. All aircraft are universally banned from Battlefront 2 ground maps (with the exception of snowspeeders on Hoth) because the devs couldn't think of a consistent counter to aircraft. That did, however, lead to changes that allow infantry to better stand up to vehicles, so it wasn't a total waste.

Hero mode was pretty fun, I agree. I don't really approve of the Hero system 100% in BF2, but I'll agree it was way better than BF1's system.

Ultimately, the devs probably could have done a lot better with the game had they not had to publish the game on a timetable agreeable with Episode 3's release.

SOme examples? I unno it's been about a year, but i jus tremember at the very beginning of the match i was doing really good. Pushed for main command post, but i look at the score and we're losing. Or anytime i'd take overa base his AI awould be taking over another(not him). It just felt like he constantly had the AI on his side. I blame it on the luck of the AI. He's one those guys who's really luck when it comes to playing games. I don't soley blame it on that, i mean he can be a good at games, he's no noob(though he can be), but everytime we've play the board game LIFE, he'd get doctor EVERY TIME. One game he didn't get it, but later on landed on a spave to trade careers with someone or something. I know luck is just probability, but chance always seems to be on his side.

And so i blame the AI. I don't believe him to be on a whole 'nother level of skill considering i beat him more than he beats me in Tekken(we both play a lot of Tekken) and he wouldn't have a chance in Halo.

Unit selection means a lot in early GC battles. Destroying the Republic base on Kamino in BF2 is as easy buying the sniper class, sitting on CP5, then having a sniper hayday. 

Battlefront 2 punishes aggressive play far more than Battlefront 1. Have you ever noticed that, after you die as a hero, and you were doing excellent, the enemy faction will, even though it has less reinforcements, make a sudden rebound that brings them back to where they were before? That's the lack of AI-driven frontlines in action. Battlefront 1 AI were more territorial, stuck together in greater numbers, and were far, far, far more liberal with grenades.

Chance does play a significant role in Battlefront, but how you react to it has a far greater impact on the game than chance itself. Another part is learning a map  and which command posts you want to hold, and which ones you don't. Eventually, you just get a feel for which ones are "strong" and which ones are "weak", even in Battlefront 2. Attempting to crush your opponent will always backfire; instead, simply keep him boxed in to a corner. Battlefront isn't about dominating your opponent, its about dominating them the right amount.

EDIT: One important thing I forgot; if you can stalemate with your opponent after you have more than 50% of the active command posts, that's a really good thing, as your opponents reinforcement counter starts to drain slowly over time. Its not a very intuitive mechanic, but once you hear "We're losing reinforcements!' or "We've cut off the enemy's reinforcements", that means the mechanic is in effect.
  • Upvote (+1) 2