Sign in to follow this  
Dead

Halo 5: Guardians needs regions (support)

Halo 5: Guardians regions  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want region support in Halo 5: Guardians?

• Yes, matchmaking would be more balanced.
    • There are better ways to balance matchmaking (list below).
    • No I don't want this at all.

Hi community,

I'd just like to start off by saying I love the format of this website, it feels more friendly and also a big Happy New Year to everyone.

But straight to the most concerning point. Halo 5: Guardians needs regions for its ranking system.

I'm a competitive player from Australia and I like other competitive players who are foreign have difficulty matching foreign players from other countries because of the latency and connection distances. Players from the Oceanic realm especially have difficulty[/font]connecting to European and North American players and connection delay can be up to 2 seconds and it makes finding equal matches against these foreigners impossible.

Now that Halo 5: Guardians has a ranking system similar to League Of Legends you get a rating and get matched with people with a higher skill level more accurately. That is very cool and almost all of me and my friends love it but we still can't seem to find fair matches. It's because when we are ranked so high (I'm onyx 3) we keep matching Americans and Europeans (who pull host over these long distances) eat gunshots constantly that we can't do anything about. I feel powerless to get to Pro because I am constantly being matched against foreigners who hold these ranks because of their host advantages and I can't even kill them in-game with a full Assault Rifle clip.

Unlike League Of Legends Halo 5: Guardians doesn't offer regions to equalize the matchmaking experience for players. What I am suggesting is that you guys at 343 Industries filter the matchmaking into a region-based system so all players have an equal chance of getting to the top of their regional zone (mine Australia/New Zealand) without having to fight against other players with huge host advantages over them. That is the only way the matchmaking experience will be truly equal. Now that this ranking system has been implemented I can guarantee lagg and host advantage will be the number 1 complaint about this ranking system if nothing is done about it. Another thing that is important, rather than ranking the world against each other you should rank the world against players of its region in a top 100 system or even top 50. Those players can then battle it out for the top placings in their national and regional online tournaments in and then compete against foreign players from NA and EU on LAN.

Here is a great example of regions to restrict players to in matchmaking: http://thejohnboyer.com/images/uploads/regions_vid.jpg

If you have a similar problem with Halo 5: Guardians or a better way of looking at this please share it down below. This is something that will affect all of us and without the right attention and care it could ruin the equality of this ranking system all together.

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

Matt

How regions are used in League Of Legends:

CS0gBab.png

regions.jpg

OP - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/halo-5-guardians-needs-regions-support/b5bdc9ad-d944-4eec-86f2-250faa2f8d80/posts

• Upvote (+1) 6

I fully support this. It will help players to find more fair games based on regions. I've been wishing for a regional search for years since I saw it in other titles.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wouldn't work. Players outside of America wouldn't find games.

not true. i seriously doubt there are less than 1000 halo players in aus and nz. + you can throw in japan, korea, china, malaysia and india on a hong kong dedi. 

not true. i seriously doubt there are less than 1000 halo players in aus and nz. + you can throw in japan, korea, china, malaysia and india on a hong kong dedi.

In MCC, it's only regional I'm pretty sure. I have never played any other people that aren't connected to the Oceanic server, it's most likely there we just can't see it or change what server we are on.

Dedicated servers still wont be equally fair to all parties since one person will be on a ping of 5 and another will be on 100.

It's online ranking, people gonna DOS, Drophack and Bridge regardless to get some stupid badge that says "Hey I'm a 50"

Private servers are the best for online gaming

In MCC, it's only regional I'm pretty sure. I have never played any other people that aren't connected to the Oceanic server, it's most likely there we just can't see it or change what server we are on.

wut...

Most games I play are against Americans.

And yes, it should actually be against international law for game developers to allow players to match up with players from the other side of the world. It's a freakin' FPS FFS. It's ok FOR NOW because my ranking is low, but once I get to a certain point I'll be unable to climb any higher thanks to latency.

Pathetic that it's the year 2015 now and we're expected to play FPS with 200+ ping.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 did it right and gave an option to play local players. Funnily enough 99 times out of 100 you won't get a game if your from ANZ and if you did it probably would have taken longer than 3 hours. Region filters will not work for ranked play because competition in video games is not nurtured down under. If this was to ge implemented in H5 you would play on your local server to the point where you cant get games or continously play the same people over and over again and you will be forced to switch servers anyway to progress further into the ranks.

But yes it is sad that it is 2015 and we still haven't been noticed :(

Would it be necessary with the localized dedicated servers?

The only problem with this is population numbers. This is easy for League of Legends to implement because there are millions of people playing every day. This might work for launch week, but after the population drops off it would make finding competitive games pretty difficult. Even in league of legends at high ranks it can take 20 minutes to find a match. Now compare Halos max population numbers to Leagues current population numbers and you will see why this can never work.

The only problem with this is population numbers. This is easy for League of Legends to implement because there are millions of people playing every day. This might work for launch week, but after the population drops off it would make finding competitive games pretty difficult. Even in league of legends at high ranks it can take 20 minutes to find a match. Now compare Halos max population numbers to Leagues current population numbers and you will see why this can never work.

Well 343 wouldn't need to worry about the population dropping if they didn't make a garbage game...

I've played for 3 days now. Don't think I've had a single Australian host in that time...

Really freakin' frustrating to lose rank due to a 200+ ms disadvantage.

here is the thing.

people would rather search for 20mins than play on a 4n host. people dont EVER want to play on a 4n host. finding competitive games would only be easier as an aus/nz player with regional mm. 

Here is what they have right now:

1. they find people on the forums or through friends of friends.

2. see #1

here is the choices of finding competitive games as an aus/nz player with regional mm:

1. they find people on forums or through friends of friends.

2. they search matchmaking. And thus can find regional players to add easier.

2>1 last time i checked. 

Is Halo popular enough to warrant dedicated servers outside of the US?

Honestly I'd say no

It seems like outside of the US and Canada the only other country that has a scene is the UK

And I mean even the Dedicated servers in the US aren't working correctly as we know from MCC so there's definitely no chance outside of the US until ours are working 100% of the time

Honestly I'd say no

It seems like outside of the US and Canada the only other country that has a scene is the UK

And I mean even the Dedicated servers in the US aren't working correctly as we know from MCC so there's definitely no chance outside of the US until ours are working 100% of the time

mcc uses m$ servers, not their own. there are about a dozen dedi's outside of the us. 

we aint talking about dedis tho, we talking about regional mm. 

mcc uses m$ servers, not their own. there are about a dozen dedi's outside of the us. 

we aint talking about dedis tho, we talking about regional mm. 

Oh

It might be worth mentioning League's system only works because there's a strict region lock and you can't just hop your account around

DOTA's regional matchmaking DOES NOT WORK in fact it is one of the most aggravating parts of the game

Everyone just plays on NA servers, without hours of unlocks to keep you tethered to the region no one is willing to put up with the matchmaking times

If you use League's system this means that you would never be able to play with people on US servers and the only Australian I know that plays Halo probably wouldn't be okay with that

Honestly I'd say no

while there is of course positives and negatives to having a server system the thing i want to clarify is yes australia and new zealand both have scenes, while still small, combined they're still large enough to consider a scene. When australia can hold 5 lans a year (hasn't since 2012 because lets face it comp halo's been dead for a while) and NZ can hold 2, both of which fielding a fairly large amount of teams for country size / distance traveled / incentives etc then i'd call that a scene.

when you can jump on reach...reach, and still able to find consistent, quick local games for most of the entire day then the population isn't that small.

H3 did it right and gave an option to play local players. Funnily enough 99 times out of 100 you won't get a game if your from ANZ and if you did it probably would have taken longer than 3 hours. Region filters will not work for ranked play because competition in video games is not nurtured down under. If this was to ge implemented in H5 you would play on your local server to the point where you cant get games or continously play the same people over and over again and you will be forced to switch servers anyway to progress further into the ranks.

But yes it is sad that it is 2015 and we still haven't been noticed :(

i completely disagree, H3 didn't have an efficient option of finding local players, the local search didn't really work that well in 3 at all. reach worked, but it was reach, also the NZ and AU scenes were much larger, vibrant and competitive pre 2012, because halo post 2012 has been trash. in saying that though having absolutely no chance to play foreigners wouldn't be great at all.

i completely disagree, H3 didn't have an efficient option of finding local players, the local search didn't really work that well in 3 at all. reach worked, but it was reach, also the NZ and AU scenes were much larger, vibrant and competitive pre 2012, because halo post 2012 has been trash. in saying that though having absolutely no chance to play foreigners wouldn't be great at all.

H3 worked exactly as it did in Reach. It searched as far as Japan and did not let anyone else in. The only difference between Reach and 3 is a proper MM trueskill system. It doesn't matter in Reach and (Halo 5 if anyone noticed) because it will even the teams like CoD, put a sick player with a bunch of awful players (which there are many of them) and level the other team out with average players whereas Halo 3 has a working ranking system that puts ACTUAL evenly skilled players together which doesn't actually happen in Australia because everyone is a shit cunt that can't get a 50 or won't play on it because they bridged for it in the first place. Good connection option works as intended, it's just the population is not big enough for fast games against different people all the time against evenly skilled players and that is how it has always been even in Halo 3 in its prime. It was the same for arena in Reach. I was an Australian onyx and if I searched good con I would find no one. Why? Because every other aussie is a fuckin iron and the game would rather good games than put me on a team with irons.

Reach gave us good con games. But did it leave us satisfied with a 50-49 win against players you respect? No.

when you can jump on reach...reach, and still able to find consistent, quick local games for most of the entire day then the population isn't that small.

You'll get local games but the quality of the game will not be fun for you or the morons you are stomping.

You'll get local games but the quality of the game will not be fun for you or the morons you are stomping.

lol. So funny going up against them sweaty kids who never left Reach and still stomping 'em :P

You should come play Halol5:Garbage with me 'n' jimmy

Just matched aussies in H5 and they all quit before the game locked in to save their rank because they knew who we were  :salt:

It's literally CSR H4 all over again.

H3 worked exactly as it did in Reach. It searched as far as Japan and did not let anyone else in. The only difference between Reach and 3 is a proper MM trueskill system. It doesn't matter in Reach and (Halo 5 if anyone noticed) because it will even the teams like CoD, put a sick player with a bunch of awful players (which there are many of them) and level the other team out with average players whereas Halo 3 has a working ranking system that puts ACTUAL evenly skilled players together which doesn't actually happen in Australia because everyone is a shit cunt that can't get a 50 or won't play on it because they bridged for it in the first place. Good connection option works as intended, it's just the population is not big enough for fast games against different people all the time against evenly skilled players and that is how it has always been even in Halo 3 in its prime. It was the same for arena in Reach. I was an Australian onyx and if I searched good con I would find no one. Why? Because every other aussie is a fuckin iron and the game would rather good games than put me on a team with irons.

Reach gave us good con games. But did it leave us satisfied with a 50-49 win against players you respect? 

oh of course not outside of the mlg playlist, but that isn't a local problem, just most people in MM suck, hence customs

and yes you're right about local, i just forgot i used to search with some foreigners in MM in h3, so it would of been ineffective anyway

Wouldn't work. Players outside of America wouldn't find games.

You are underestimating how many people are playing halo outside the states. However, you would have to be allowed to pick your region (or have it be like dota 2 where you can choose which regions to include when you search). In MCC I get 90% EU and while I appreciate the lag-free experience, I'd love to have the option to search for Americans to play vs better players. Whenever the game has 20k or less population you'd also need to choose regions. I'd love to have this, by far my favorite thing about Titanfall.

• Upvote (+1) 1