sysolid2k

What do you think about Sprint belonging in Halo 5?

What do you think about sprint in Halo 5?  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like sprint removed from Halo 5? If so, reasons explained under.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Sprint is disliked in the Halo community because it gives people a chance to escape

• Yes
    • No

This will only split the community up even further...

At this point, I honestly don't care if the community gets split. Do I really want to play a game that isn't fun to me? I feel like a lot of others will feel the same, and then they lose our community. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point, I honestly don't care if the community gets split. Do I really want to play a game that isn't fun to me? I feel like a lot of others will feel the same, and then they lose our community. 

Well yeah obviously. Almost nobody really cares about the community itself because people are selfish and its honestly pretty stupid to sacrifice any of your time to a game you don't enjoy unless you're making bank to support your lifestyle that you do enjoy through doing so. Almost offtopic but I can't help but think about this every time people are like "SAVE HALO" "MAKE MORE CONTENT" etc. Its all an exercise in futility. If the game was good it would create its own community that already willingly created the content required to sustain itself and not the other way around.

my main problem with sprint isn't running away (even tho its a bit annoying). my main problem is that you cant start shooting until the animation finishes. eg 2 players around a corner they both see each other at the same time and want to shoot each other they should both be on an even playing field however they're not. the player that has his sprint animation end first will get an advantage in shooting first and it's really annoying it makes me so mad SO MAD  

It was alright in older titles when we had a high base speed. For all we know that high base speed could have been the equivalent to sprinting in the original trilogy. We were outrunning marines and catching up to enemies with it. But nah we needed more visual representation only for it slow down the game, the complete opposite of what the developers intended it to do.

Let's ignore multiple communities, not just Beyond, like on Neogaf, Bungie.net, or our own Waypoint which should be a major source of feedback:

0cb82815459f45f5b45e86bf339b84fe.png

I remember that poll. Sigh. Pisses me off so much that Frankie fucks about on neogaff makin shit jokes or repeatIn the dev mantra of "more on that later". Total joke that he and the other devs virtually never post on their own website. Posting on a tablet, hate these things, makes me feel like my fingers are so fat. Dem first world problems.

In a sentence, this is why: because when Halo truly, unarguably works with sprint or any other negative feature, Halo becomes a more stable franchise with greater potential.

I helped clarify the emphasis you were trying to make.

Until they figure out the magic formula they shouldn't include it into any halo title. We want to buy a game, not an experiment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Second question is odd. I agree that it offers a way to escape, but my main issue with it is that is increases the map size and destroys the flow of the match.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sprint should be removed for reasons more then just because they can escape. I feel like sprint just isn't halo, a game with shields doesn't work with it. 

+ Every halo that has had it has failed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint should be removed for reasons more then just because they can escape. I feel like sprint just isn't halo, a game with shields doesn't work with it. 

+ Every halo that has had it has failed.

Honestly my biggest gripe is what it does to the map sizes.  Maps are becoming too stretched and not enough elevated gameplay.  Look at prisoner for example.  Awesome map for TS and even KOTH to some extent.  Maybe adjust it a bit for 4v4.  Even maps like Damnation and Chill out there is so much vertical shooting going on and it really puts emphasis on getting to high ground.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly I feel like sprint can be removed, leave thruster and give it that sprint disadvantage, so it punishes you for trying to challenge and escape, pick one or the other if were absolutely forced to have it.

Or jesus just split us, were gonna split anyway.

Sprint is destroying arena based maps, and usually the best maps are arena.

Like its a triple A title if the game is good, who cares as long as people like it theyll tell their friends, if people stop playing a game because its too hard then why does counter strike keep being successful?

Personally i hate sprint.

But i voted for that sprint can stay in the game.

I know they are trying to get Halo fast Phased and shit like that.

I personally like that if the Halo feeling will still be there.

After playing hours and hours of the beta i tried to run away in battle half shield and they just chase me and shoot me in the back which slows you down.

I felt like there was no escape i tried it multiple times without success you need to be really lucky or the opponents needs to be complete ******* to let you get away.

But this is was i think about this current state might change if i play more and more.

Honestly my biggest gripe is what it does to the map sizes.  Maps are becoming too stretched and not enough elevated gameplay.  Look at prisoner for example.  Awesome map for TS and even KOTH to some extent.  Maybe adjust it a bit for 4v4.  Even maps like Damnation and Chill out there is so much vertical shooting going on and it really puts emphasis on getting to high ground.

Agree

If you read the beta feedback thread, you can definitely see a trend in people's thoughts. Everyone wants pretty much the same thing. And I think that is because a lot of these issues are pretty clear cut for us, we want a game that compares with Halo games that were successful. So what if what was successful was from around 5-10 years ago? That's not that old, and those games fucking rocked! Everybody knows that video games just aren't evolving super well. Products are designed to sell, not to be good. Well guess what, the market has caught on, and now Halo's flagship shooter is in serious jeopardy (disclaimer:halo 5 shows much promise). People want a good product (for once in a long while) and you can't blame them.

Is sprint really even a new and fresh thing anymore? Every game has the same movement now. Wouldn't it be kinda against the grain, and fresh to come out with a game where you *GASP* don't need to hold a button all the time to sprint around? Remove sprint and all the abilities that go with it, and up the movement speed (like we've been saying since halo 3), then tell people: "LOOK!! You don't need to sprint anymore! Now you're just always sprinting, you can always shoot (looking at you, thruster), and you can always shoot the same, without having to scope! (looking at you, smart scope)!! Also, you can THRUSTTTT!!!" Stand back and be amazed while people play your game and enjoy it.

And look, its not like we're not open to new things. People generally are happy with thrust, and clamber, and ground pound too kinda. All of these need to be balanced and tweaked, regardless. Just stop trying to make sprint happen, please.

Just pay attention to community feedback. 

This is what the whiteboard at the front of the room next to the donuts should say:

STEP ONE

Observe community feedback

STEP TWO 

Implement community feedback

really guys, relax, let us fix your game for you

I think it all depends on the maps and kill times. Part of the reason I feel sprint hasn't worked in past Halos is because the kill times are too long for it and the maps are a bit too small. It works in Call of Duty where the maps are pretty large and running into a bad position would be punished immediately due to one shot kills. In Halo, if one gets into a bad position, he could easily sprint to cover without dying, actually slowing down the gameplay. It actually makes the game less appealing to watch and play for both hardcore Halo players, who see the game as being too different, and new players who see the game as being too slow and get frustrated when they can't finish kills. If kill times were sped up to H1 levels and the maps were a little bigger, sprint could be implemented without slowing down the game. As of now, it seems unnecessary and actually counterproductive to the developer's goal of speeding up the game.

I'm going to be open to it... The more and more I watch Halo 5 gameplay, the more I grow to like it. Old "No-Sprint" Halo is gone I believe, unless something drastic happens within the greater Halo fanbase during the Beta... the ship has pretty much sailed. So I'm open to this new iteration especially since in quite a few gameplay's that I've seen, sprinting is a HUGE penalty in an awful lot of situations.

I really think that the more you play Halo 5, the more a good player will train themselves NOT to do it at all... especially since the recharge timer completely resets once Sprint is initiated when one-shot. There's almost no reason to do it like 90% of the time, and all the reason not to. It almost makes me wonder why it's even in the game lol. But hey, it's cool... The game is looking great regardless. I'm even opening up to Ground-Pound a little bit, but I think there needs to be more of a height differential in order to execute it...

Now getting off-topic but I'm just remembering @@Moa's clip where he Ground-Pounded the guy with the Sword in Red-Bubble or whatever it was... It's like he did it at the peak of his jump, when really, I think a player should have to jump, kick off that ledge to the side (in that situation), then start the Ground-Pound at some point during the arc of the second jump. Would add a bit more skill in map-awareness and pulling off the maneuver itself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Quake is the fastest paced fps on the market... WITH NO

SPRINT

I agree that Quake is very fast without sprint, and that sprint isn't necessary for a fast pace.

The problem I have with this train of thinking though is that people believe faster = better, and I don't necessarily agree.

From what I've seen and played of Halo and Quake, Quake is more about constant map movement and item control while Halo is more about gravitating around / holding strategic portions of the map itself.  Obviously there's a bit of both in each game but I'm speaking in general.

Prime example is the sig of the guy above me (sick overkill by the way).

If the game were faster paced, I believe that would also mean controlling specific parts of the map itself is devalued.

Though feel free to correct me if I'm off base.

I agree that Quake is very fast without sprint, and that sprint isn't necessary for a fast pace.

The problem I have with this train of thinking though is that people believe faster = better, and I don't necessarily agree.

From what I've seen and played of Halo and Quake, Quake is more about constant map movement and item control while Halo is more about gravitating around / holding strategic portions of the map itself. Obviously there's a bit of both in each game but I'm speaking in general.

Prime example is the sig of the guy above me (sick overkill by the way).

If the game were faster paced, I believe that would also mean controlling specific parts of the map itself is devalued.

Though feel free to correct me if I'm off base.

I would not want to play quake because movement is way too fast.

The fastest paced halo 4 slayer maps are about as fast as I enjoy. And even then they get to be tiring after a few straight games because they don't offer enough breather.